Do we need a new Captain?

Should Jordan Henderson be captain of Liverpool for the 2018-19 season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Elessar

A lot of discussions about our lack of leadership in many threads. Do we need a new Captain in that case, who?

Henderson is IMO not a good enough Captain. He don't lead by example. He don't show up when we need him most.

I would say that Firmino is our best leader. He lead by example. He work his socks off every minute he play. He try to fire up his team mates. I think that he would be a fantastic Captain if get the armband.

I think that he would play even better if that happened.

So to answer my own question. Yes, we need a new Captain and we need it as soon as possible.

We could of course also sign someone like Mascherano and make him Captain. That is another option.

Elessar

Maybe we could leave this one open then so we don't discuss it in a lot of other threads. Discuss who you want as our captain and what you expect from him.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Do we really need these sorts of threads cropping up after a *heaven forbid* away draw?

One not-so-palatable result and we start questioning the captain.

Elessar, I don't really condone the playground bullying that is directed toward you on this forum, but you really don't do yourself any favours by vehemently defending any of our players except our captain Henderson.

Abdel

While I don't rate Henderson as a captain, but a few bad games and we want to kick him out? First it was Klopp and now the captain.... Liverpool fans, renowned for their patience and support it seems.
We are patient with Klopp
For Hendo it's been 6 years of patience ! , yet he is still afraid to have the ball , what hurts though is that he is an awesome lad ,but that doesnt win you matches, and reality is he isnt good enough .

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We are patient with Klopp
For Hendo it's been 6 years of patience ! , yet he is still afraid to have the ball , what hurts though is that he is an awesome lad ,but that doesnt win you matches, and reality is he isnt good enough .
Let's not use the word "We" so loosely in here fella....

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
We need a captain and Vice Captain.
You need 2 leaders in the team, who can sort out the team in a crisis.
We have none at the moment
That is why i am of the opinion that we should get Pepe Reina and Mascherano.
We have young players like Gomez and TAA who would benefit a lot under a good leader.
The natural one would be VVD if we get him.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
While I don't rate Henderson as a captain, but a few bad games and we want to kick him out? First it was Klopp and now the captain.... Liverpool fans, renowned for their patience and support it seems.
Not kick him out. But yes if we do sign a good player (Say VVD), it wont be a bad idea to swap the arm band.
May be captaincy is affecting his game and he can rediscover his 2013-14 season by handing over the band?

auzziez

I don't believe in miracles. I rely on them
We need a captain and Vice Captain.
You need 2 leaders in the team, who can sort out the team in a crisis.
We have none at the moment
That is why i am of the opinion that we should get Pepe Reina and Mascherano.
We have young players like Gomez and TAA who would benefit a lot under a good leader.
The natural one would be VVD if we get him.
Crisis? What crisis???

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
A lot of discussions about our lack of leadership in many threads. Do we need a new Captain in that case, who?

Henderson is IMO not a good enough Captain. He don't lead by example. He don't show up when we need him most.

I would say that Firmino is our best leader. He lead by example. He work his socks off every minute he play. He try to fire up his team mates. I think that he would be a fantastic Captain if get the armband.

I think that he would play even better if that happened.

So to answer my own question. Yes, we need a new Captain and we need it as soon as possible.

We could of course also sign someone like Mascherano and make him Captain. That is another option.
While I don't think Henderson is the right person for the job but i think changing him mid season would be a major fuck up as you dont know what kinda damage that could have to team moral

Jase

While I don't think Henderson is the right person for the job but i think changing him mid season would be a major fuck up as you dont know what kinda damage that could have to team moral
^ This, coupled with the fact there are no other stand out alternatives make this a rather pointless debate as far as the short run goes.

Longer term, sure.. the club captaincy isn't nailed on. If the right player emerges and Henderson isn't getting as much game time for whatever reason, then Klopp will worry about it then.

The problem is just that though. There are no other leaders in the starting places. It doesn't need to be just one individual either; it would be great if players around the field could take a bit more responsibility when they see heads dropping or a match slipping away, without needing an armband to enthuse them to do it.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Not kick him out. But yes if we do sign a good player (Say VVD), it wont be a bad idea to swap the arm band.
May be captaincy is affecting his game and he can rediscover his 2013-14 season by handing over the band?
It would be silly to just handover the captaincy to someone new to the club, we don't even know if he is going to cut it with us yet. As for 2013-14 season, it is not the armband that wears him down, it's his injury that has yet to heal till now.

KCollins

Banned Users
Do we really need these sorts of threads cropping up after a *heaven forbid* away draw?

One not-so-palatable result and we start questioning the captain.

Elessar, I don't really condone the playground bullying that is directed toward you on this forum, but you really don't do yourself any favours by vehemently defending any of our players except our captain Henderson.
It's not a knee jerk reaction based on one game though. We are bereft of leadership. The capitulations have been frequent. Something like 23 times we have let a lead slip in Klopp's two seasons. Ability wise Jordan is replaceable also. Not a bad player, but neither a defensive midfielder nor a midfielder that is creative enough. Jack of all master of none. Keita takes his spot in the summer, and hopefully he's accompanied with a top class defensive midfielder.
Looking at our current roster, no.
Agreed. Can't think of anyone.
The whole captain issue is blown out of proportion. The entire squad is bereft of leadership, a change in the captaincy won't make much of a difference. We need leaders in every line, irrespective of whom gets to wear the armband.
Ideally you'd want a team of leaders, but one figurehead can make a massive difference, especially in the back line..John Terry at Chelsea, Tony Adams at Arsenal. Arsenal won a Cup winners Cup final due to their backline led by Adams (quoting Ray Parlour here)..Parma's frontline of Asprilla, Zola, Brolin (when he was good) threw everything at them (an Arsenal team that had Ian Selley and Steve Morrow in midfield). The arm raised by Adams umpteen times for every offside was a common feature of that Arsenal team. Arsenal only started to leak goals when Adams alcoholism surfaced during the Bruce Rioch stint..with Adams stating Rioch was unlucky to inherit this issue. Adams got clean two months before Wenger took over. Without that leadership Adams provided at the back all those 1-0s Arsenal got to win the league don't happen. Often wonder how Wenger would have done had he had to build a defence from scratch. That backline led by Adams landed on his lap.

Having that defensive stability spreads confidence throughout the rest of the team. We are crying out for a commanding, vocal central defender. If we do sign VVD I'd instantly give him the captaincy.

El Dorado

Shakin' and stirred
I don't think in today's game it makes too much difference who wears the armband. The more existential issue for Henderson is whether he will remain good enough to be selected consistently when Keita and whomever replaces Can arrives. Let's allow the captaincy thing to sort itself out. Curiously, even the dogged warrior Firmino couldn't stop the rot against Sevilla. What we seem to have is a midfield resolve issue, not so much a captaincy issue IMO.

steven08

I agree that we need a new captain - but at the same time i can not name a player for that role. And here is the thing!!
We lack characters like that in our team like Gerrard, Mascherano, Xabi Alonso.

If we want to win titles and go through tough time we need that sort of veterans, experience and winning mentality.
Just look at Bestiktas for example - Pepe is doing there a great job, an experienced center back with winning mentality. Something like that what we need.

Dave-D

Does Liverpool need a new captain, yes they do.

Is there a readymade replacement for Henderson, no there isn’t so by default Henderson keeps the arm band.

He will also keep the armband for the foreseeable future as I wouldn’t want a new signing like VVD coming in and not only having the expectation of fans on this back but also to motivate and lead the whole team when needed as well.

James H

"One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"
I was going to say this, talk of changing captain as if this is a video game is nonsense, you could fracture the whole dressing room, equally handing the arm band to someone just bought it won't solve the issue as they'd be nothing more than a figure head, the respect wouldn't have been earned yet from the team and they are supposed to just look to him in crises. Captains should have to prove themselves, it should be earned not given. Henderson for all his faults earned respect, from being written off as a flop, to fighting his way back to first team, to vice captain etc. His position in the dressing room was not secure, he earned it with hard work and perseverance. Is he the best captain probably not but that doesn't mean if VVD strolls in at January he should be given it, you're running the risk of turning a good/great buy (hopefully) into a destabilizing factor. Change for the sake of it rarely if ever works out. And frankly, in my opinion, Henderson deserves more respect than this.

Elessar

I agree that we need a new captain - but at the same time i can not name a player for that role. And here is the thing!!
We lack characters like that in our team like Gerrard, Mascherano, Xabi Alonso.

If we want to win titles and go through tough time we need that sort of veterans, experience and winning mentality.
Just look at Bestiktas for example - Pepe is doing there a great job, an experienced center back with winning mentality. Something like that what we need.
He would have been a great signing on a free. He is rotten to the bone type of player we need in central defense. It don't hurt that he is still a top class player and a top class leader. Real miss him a lot.

Elessar

A man who agitated for a move away waltz back in as captain?
He didn't agitated for a move. We promised him a move. He wanted to leave the same summer we sold Xabi but we promised to sell him a year later. He stayed and didn't create any problems.

James H

"One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"
He didn't agilitated for a move. We promised him a move. He wanted to leave the same summer we sold Xabi but we promised to sell him a year later. He stayed and didn't create any problems.
That's why he trained alone then? Because he didn't create any problems?