Do we need a new Captain?

Should Jordan Henderson be captain of Liverpool for the 2018-19 season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Given Klopp uses google to determine the captain whenever Hendo / Milner are not available i don't think who the captain is going forward is that big of a deal.
I just used google for Captain and got Captain Tortue. :eh?:
So how does Klopp do it?
I thought he had a group of senior players with some sort of rotation system however I am completely FADA! ;-)
What eever as Milner doesn't start any more a new vice captain is needed. Will it be Lovren, AOC, VVD, Lallana or Mignolet? :-)

StrongINTheAir

The voice of reason
I a
A lot of discussions about our lack of leadership in many threads. Do we need a new Captain in that case, who?

Henderson is IMO not a good enough Captain. He don't lead by example. He don't show up when we need him most.

I would say that Firmino is our best leader. He lead by example. He work his socks off every minute he play. He try to fire up his team mates. I think that he would be a fantastic Captain if get the armband.

I think that he would play even better if that happened.

So to answer my own question. Yes, we need a new Captain and we need it as soon as possible.

We could of course also sign someone like Mascherano and make him Captain. That is another option.
i am becoming of the opinion that Hendos time as a regular starter is done here.
But I don’t think Firmino up top is the answer to captain. His play and intensity and production can lead by example, but I don’t see him as captain.
And I definitely DONT see Masch being brought in as the answer.

Redsi73

I know he has only been here 5 mins but i think that VVD has the ability to be a decent captain. I like the captain to be in defence, he can see whats going on all over the pitch. VVD was certainly vocal in his first game as well, something which Hendo isnt.

Hendo is obviously a well liked player in the club, but hes about as inspirational as a sponge. His leadership skills amount to pointing at players whenever he loses the ball.

Gerrard wasnt that vocal imo, but he led on the pitch with his commitment. Hendo doesnt have that either now, injuries are robbing him of more and more games each season.

I think Klopps tactics have now surpassed his capabilities.

I think Klopps tactics have now surpassed his capabilities
Were did you pull that out from?
You even mention Gerrard in the same post, by god did he miss a lot of games due to injury, yet his capabilities as captain were never questioned because of it. Nor his capabilities to follow tactical style. Yet perhaps they should have been?
Many spout Gerrard when talking of Henderson. They seem to forget Gerrard had Carragher. Our present team have nothing in Carraghers ball park when it comes to being vocal, determined and just a complete pain in the arse.
So what do you reckon Henderson would be like with someone like Carragher backing him up?
Perhaps VVD?
It's true Gerrard had something special however are Henderson and Gerrard really that different?
Ok Henderson isn't that special but he's a fine player and very professional. Gerrard didn't come across as that professional more ambitious.
As far as I can see our problem is more the combo Henderson - Milner, let's face it Milner is the poorer example of a captain than Henderson (just look at what happens when Milner is our captain) so wouldn't it be better in the immediate to just change the Vice captain?
Stripping a player, above all one that has been and looks set to be loyal as well as being well liked in the dressing room, really a good idea just because a few fans feel that Henderson isn't Gerrard (and I am sure Henderson would agree he isn't Gerrard). Whilst we have a player, who surely commands respect, who is 32 very slow and not a 1st team starter as vice captain. O' yes just tell Henderson to fuck off and replace him with someone else, at hazard, and leave our vice captain in place. Lunacy!

[email protected]

Were did you pull that out from?
You even mention Gerrard in the same post, by god did he miss a lot of games due to injury, yet his capabilities as captain were never questioned because of it. Nor his capabilities to follow tactical style. Yet perhaps they should have been?
Many spout Gerrard when talking of Henderson. They seem to forget Gerrard had Carragher. Our present team have nothing in Carraghers ball park when it comes to being vocal, determined and just a complete pain in the arse.
So what do you reckon Henderson would be like with someone like Carragher backing him up?
Perhaps VVD?
It's true Gerrard had something special however are Henderson and Gerrard really that different?
Ok Henderson isn't that special but he's a fine player and very professional. Gerrard didn't come across as that professional more ambitious.
As far as I can see our problem is more the combo Henderson - Milner, let's face it Milner is the poorer example of a captain than Henderson (just look at what happens when Milner is our captain) so wouldn't it be better in the immediate to just change the Vice captain?
Stripping a player, above all one that has been and looks set to be loyal as well as being well liked in the dressing room, really a good idea just because a few fans feel that Henderson isn't Gerrard (and I am sure Henderson would agree he isn't Gerrard). Whilst we have a player, who surely commands respect, who is 32 very slow and not a 1st team starter as vice captain. O' yes just tell Henderson to fuck off and replace him with someone else, at hazard, and leave our vice captain in place. Lunacy!
Really?! Chalk and cheese mate, chalk and cheese. Neither Henderson or Milner are good enough to be the captain and vice of this team. Pair them up and put them in a West Ham or Palace midfield as a first choice pairing and not many people would really say that they'd look out of place.

You are correct about Milner. He was shocking on Sunday and had a part in being bypassed like he wasn't there for both the goals let in while he was on the pitch and mindlessly hacked down whoever was it was for that last minute free kick. If Çan or Gini had come off the bench to such an 'impact', these boards would have been overflowing with vitriol and sage advice about where they belong.

Both Henderson and Milner are good pros and probably great to have around but seeing one, or both, starting in our midfield is not an occurrence that we really need too much of, imo, if we want to move on to the next level as a team.

Really?! Chalk and cheese mate, chalk and cheese. Neither Henderson or Milner are good enough to be the captain and vice of this team. Pair them up and put them in a West Ham or Palace midfield as a first choice pairing and not many people would really say that they'd look out of place.

You are correct about Milner. He was shocking on Sunday and had a part in being bypassed like he wasn't there for both the goals let in while he was on the pitch and mindlessly hacked down whoever was it was for that last minute free kick. If Çan or Gini had come off the bench to such an 'impact', these boards would have been overflowing with vitriol and sage advice about where they belong.

Both Henderson and Milner are good pros and probably great to have around but seeing one, or both, starting in our midfield is not an occurrence that we really need too much of, imo, if we want to move on to the next level as a team.
How's that, Chalk and cheese?

[email protected]

In your completely different world?
You seem to be struggling with the concept of chalk and cheese. Wait, I will simplify. Jordan Henderson as a player is not even in the same hemisphere as Steven Gerrard was. Not. Even. Close. They both play football, have similiar physical characteristics as do males of the same species and somehow both managed to captain Liverpool. Any similarities end there.

You are talking about one of the greats of the game in the same breath as a hardworking grafter. Come off it.

You seem to be struggling with the concept of chalk and cheese. Wait, I will simplify. Jordan Henderson as a player is not even in the same hemisphere as Steven Gerrard was. Not. Even. Close. They both play football, have similiar physical characteristics as do males of the same species and somehow both managed to captain Liverpool. Any similarities end there.

You are talking about one of the greats of the game in the same breath as a hardworking grafter. Come off it.
Your talking about nostalgia, I'm talking about here and now! Your in a different world.
Henderson can pass, defend and a whole host of other things almost as well a Gerrard could!

[email protected]

Your talking about nostalgia, I'm talking about here and now! Your in a different world.
Henderson can pass, defend and a whole host of other things almost as well a Gerrard could!
Really?? Do tell :rolleyes:

*edit* wonder if we should get Pele off his sick bed to see if Jordan Henderson is better than him in the here and now.:think:

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Question is, was Henderson better than Shelvey at 18? That guy was tipped to be better than Gerrard back when he first came to the club.... :well done:

MikeOscar

Klopp Klopp
One person who shouldn't get if for sure is Can. I'm not normally one to criticize symbolic moves, but giving Can the armband tonight when he appears not to even want to be at the club is taking it one step too far for me. The absolute minimum that should be required is commitment to the club, both on and off the pitch. Can lacked both tonight and should never be made a captain as long as the contract situation festers.

Same story with Coutinho by the way. By Klopps own admission we knew that Coutinho wanted to leave for a while, giving him the armband while he was behaving like an absolute cunt behind the scenes is just an insult to the fans as well as previous captains, many of whom would walk through brick walls for this club.

RedLar

Henderson was bright and effective against Huddersfield, I thought. A captains job, whether I think him fit for it, or not. Now Huddersfield were pretty crap, but you can only play what is put out in front of you. I thought we pressed the shit out of them and really dominated. Henderson was precise, and a willing runner to support his passing. Cleared the ball away from danger with one swift one time pass. He will be first on Klopps team sheet in the midfield for Spurs. Question is, who will be his partners? Can and Wino I suspect. Going to be a great match.

[email protected]

We played Huddersfield. In a game where we Joel Matip break the record for the most passes in a game. Joel Matip. That alone tells you that Huddersfield pressed nobody very hard and basically just hoped for a draw to begin with and less of a beating as it wore on.Thats who we played.

Always frustrates me when one good game after a poor season in general is harked upon as the herald of great things. Let Henderson do it consistently well again against all quality of opposition without getting laid off for a few more months and then lets praise him as the player and captain we'd all like to see.

I reckon all this talk about who should be captain is for fans to put out their thoughts and opinions, but we already have a captain in Hendo and one who is fully backed by Jurgen Klopp. So I have to ask when is this new captain to begin his captaincy? Does someone believe Klopp is going to take the captaincy off Hendo in mid-season? :think:

RedLar

We played Huddersfield. In a game where we Joel Matip break the record for the most passes in a game. Joel Matip. That alone tells you that Huddersfield pressed nobody very hard and basically just hoped for a draw to begin with and less of a beating as it wore on.Thats who we played.

Always frustrates me when one good game after a poor season in general is harked upon as the herald of great things. Let Henderson do it consistently well again against all quality of opposition without getting laid off for a few more months and then lets praise him as the player and captain we'd all like to see.
Henderson! As divisive as Lucas among the brethren. Got a mate at the match who swears by Hendo. He had a trial with the bluenoses, yonks ago, my mate, not Henderson, so I'd respect his position. Reckons Hendo cleans up all the shit other players get themselves into. Henderson frustrates me a lot. Not much creation from him at times.

I watched the Huddersfield game a 2nd tome. In the first half, the contest was won by us harrying them all over the shop, and giving them precious little time on the ball. In the 2nd half they simply gave up trying. Could not believe their lack of effort. I reckon they were just knackered chasing us. I was telling my daughter Matip and Lovren should just pass it back and forth for 30 minutes to see the game out. Huddersfield were shocking. The game was put away in the first half, but our midfield, and front 3, really bossed them out of it during that period.

Worth noting Huddersfield beat United and only a winner in the last 5 minutes gave City all 3 points. Still, they were pretty cack.

If Klopp fancies Hendo to do the job (ooer Matron!), and I too think he will bring back some needed freshness to the side (we will see against Spurs), then I am happy with that. I have to admit to being somewhat content with our overall progress this season. Hendos been just as much a part of it as anyone.

[email protected]

See. This is kind of stuff that gets my goat. Barking, shouting and pointing isn't the point here:

Jordan Henderson happy to be back barking out orders to Liverpool team-mates
Press Association
1 February 2018
Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson showed he had lost none of his bite after a month on the sidelines and believes his team-mates responded well to him barking orders again.
The England international made his first start since suffering a hamstring injury on December 22 in Tuesday’s comfortable 3-0 win at Huddersfield.
In his absence manager Jurgen Klopp used different captains in six successive matches but now the 27-year-old is back wearing the armband his team-mates have a familiar voice leading them on the field again.
“I’ve been out for a little while, so it was nice to be back out on the pitch,” he said.

“At times I can shout at one or two people but I think everybody responds well.

“We’re a great set of lads, togetherness is really good. On the pitch, we just need to do what we need to do to win.”
The midweek victory was the perfect response to back-to-back defeats in the Premier League and FA Cup.
However, they face a real test on Sunday as fifth-placed Tottenham, just two points behind in the table, visit Anfield.
“The results and performances over the previous two games are something we have been disappointed with,” he added.
“It was a good game for us to come and show we can put it right. I thought we did that, but we’ve got a long way to keep improving, keep getting better.
“We’ve got a big game on Sunday against Spurs who are a very good side.
“They’ve got fantastic players and a fantastic squad of players so, yeah, we’re really excited to see what we can do over these last few months of the season.
“It will be a big test but one I think we are ready for and we need to make sure that we put in performances like we did at Huddersfield on a regular basis.”

rupzzz

TIA Regular
So Jurgen's changed things up a bit, and rather than picking a captain for when Hendo and Milly aren't playing, he let the players choose.

Captains are as follows;

1st - Hendo
vice - Milner
3rd - Virgil
4th - Gini.

I personally was delighted to see Virgil with the captains armband on. Only a matter of time till he's always wearing it I reckon.