Do we need a new Captain?

Should Jordan Henderson be captain of Liverpool for the 2018-19 season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think Oxlade-Chamberlain's name should be thrown into the hat for vice captaincy job when he got himself fit again. His post match interview and how he bail his mates out from journos trap stand out. He was far more commanding in his ways of diverting and protecting his teammates than Henderson. If anyone should be captain after Henderson and Milner, I'd go with Oxlade-Chamberlain or Van Dijk, these two should be the next automatic choice, not Wijnaldum.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
I was bit surprised when JK said he'd let the players vote on the vice captaincy. Quite an odd thing to do but it was also a typical Klopp thing to do. He is all about group harmony and team dynamics. Let the players vote, knowing VVD would come top, reinforcing him as a leader within the squad and letting the players ultimately make the decision for him. He also publicly reinforced Henderson (the actual captain) and Milner (the senior pro and vice captain) in their roles too. So no one's upset and he has his captain in waiting who has been picked by his peers. I really think Klopp is a master of this kind of stuff.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
I was bit surprised when JK said he'd let the players vote on the vice captaincy. Quite an odd thing to do but it was also a typical Klopp thing to do. He is all about group harmony and team dynamics. Let the players vote, knowing VVD would come top, reinforcing him as a leader within the squad and letting the players ultimately make the decision for him. He also publicly reinforced Henderson (the actual captain) and Milner (the senior pro and vice captain) in their roles too. So no one's upset and he has his captain in waiting who has been picked by his peers. I really think Klopp is a master of this kind of stuff.
It may be it was a “secret” vote and the counters were not independently verified. So maybe Klopp did the counting himself and was really peeved that Moreno won the vote with Mane coming in second.

So he then decided on going double Dutch...

Dane

Willing to drive Matip to the airport
I really think Klopp is a master of this kind of stuff.
Have to agree.
But I think he probably already knew what the outcome of the vote was likely to be.
When you compare this to the actions of Pochetino, and Southgate, it is a master stroke. And let's not even go to the captaincy sitcom at Man Utd
Kane must be the most uninspiring captain I've ever seen on a football field.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Quite hard to inspire if his teammates can't hear what you say or understand what the words that is coming out of his mouth.

Red over the water

It will be Van Dijk before too long, but everything is happening with order and respect. Henderson will start to be in and out of the side by the end of the season, and Milner isn’t getting any younger. Van Dijk will be a fixture in the side and will be the captain in due course, but there’s no need to make a fuss at the moment. And Henderson is a good bloke so he doesn’t need to be cut off at the knees.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
I think Oxlade-Chamberlain's name should be thrown into the hat for vice captaincy job when he got himself fit again. His post match interview and how he bail his mates out from journos trap stand out. He was far more commanding in his ways of diverting and protecting his teammates than Henderson. If anyone should be captain after Henderson and Milner, I'd go with Oxlade-Chamberlain or Van Dijk, these two should be the next automatic choice, not Wijnaldum.
Double barrel surnames are not allowed to be captains.

Rules out Ox and unfortunately also Trent. VVD is allowed though.

Macolfc

Just watched the trailer for the Amazon documentary that’s being released about Gerrard. About a minute In he says ‘I was Liverpool captain & liverpool captains always deliver’.

Instantly thought I’ve got to get onto TIA & ask the question has Hendo ever really delivered? Has he really ever stepped up when we’ve been getting battered & sorted things out or delivered a 40 yard assist to get us back into a game? From my memory I can’t really think of anything apart from the screamer against Chelsea a fair few seasons ago. Can’t exactly remember the situation though so not sure if it was just a brilliant goal or a goal that pulled us out the crap.

Limiescouse

Just watched the trailer for the Amazon documentary that’s being released about Gerrard. About a minute In he says ‘I was Liverpool captain & liverpool captains always deliver’.

Instantly thought I’ve got to get onto TIA & ask the question has Hendo ever really delivered? Has he really ever stepped up when we’ve been getting battered & sorted things out or delivered a 40 yard assist to get us back into a game?
If that's all it about then captains should always be forwards. It isn't so they arent

Macolfc

If that's all it about then captains should always be forwards. It isn't so they arent
When he plays the position he does, you’d expect him to get assists & the odd goal to pull us out. If he was a defender then I would of said something different, as in put in a last ditch tackle to stop us losing the game.

The original was question was has he ever really stepped up & delivered? I was just giving a few examples of things that gerrard did that hendo hasn’t done.

Limiescouse

When he plays the position he does, you’d expect him to get assists & the odd goal to pull us out. If he was a defender then I would of said something different, as in put in a last ditch tackle to stop us losing the game.

The original was question was has he ever really stepped up & delivered? I was just giving a few examples of things that gerrard did that hendo hasn’t done.
But you were defining delivering in purely attacking and goal scoring terms. Didier Deschamps was one of the most influential and successful players in the world for a ten year span in the 90s, leading his teams to league titles, a Champions League, a world cups and a Euro win. He averaged about a goal a season for his entire career and I bet he didn't get too many more assists.

It's just not a useful metric for determining whether someone is doing his job as a captain

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Hendo was appointed when there were very few viable candidates. In reality he got the position by default. If the armband was been handed over today there are half a dozen serious contenders. VDV, Firmino, Gini, Robertson, Ox and Salah would all be in with a shout. That's not even mentioning Milner or a future prospect in Allison.
Hendo is on borrowed time as skipper.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Virgil's best partner is a captain-in-waiting if ever I saw one.

Gomez is slowly becoming a monster of a player.Has everything and can see him being our captain one day.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
But you were defining delivering in purely attacking and goal scoring terms. Didier Deschamps was one of the most influential and successful players in the world for a ten year span in the 90s, leading his teams to league titles, a Champions League, a world cups and a Euro win. He averaged about a goal a season for his entire career and I bet he didn't get too many more assists.

It's just not a useful metric for determining whether someone is doing his job as a captain
Yeah, he said deliver a 40 yard pas to get us back in a game, but when he said "getting battered & sorted things out" I took it to mean that we're being outplayed on the pitch and overrun, but a captain will marshal the troops and got them reorganized, and the team back in the game - or doubled his own efforts to try and make up for other shortfalls - basically putting the team on their shoulders and trying to carry them over the line using what skills they have. Carragher was like that in many ways as well, and certainly not someone renowned for his goal scoring prowess - but you could always (ALWAYS) count on him to not walk off the pitch with any fuel left in the tank.

Leading from the front or leading from the back - but the key point is leading. And that's a very different thing than I see from Henderson, which seems to involve a lot of running around and gesticulating, without much real consequence to it all.

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
I believe the thing to do is look at games where we have fallen apart from a relatively dominant position. If Henderson was playing then it is right to ask searching questions about his performance as captain. I think we already know the answer ..... !

dockers_strike

Nope, i dont. I think this idea some fans have that Henderson is on borrowed time are very much mistaken. Klopp sees him as his captain, like it or not. I dont get the clamour for van Dijk to be made captain either just because the defence is better now. You could make a case for Alisson, Roberton, Gomez or TAA being captain on that criteria.

People who say Henderson is an ineffective captain clearly only watch tv games so dont see the number of off the ball times he's in the ref's face.

Klopp sees captain as largely ceremonial. The fact we have four nominated captains in Henderson, Milner, van Dijk and Gini(?) tells you all you need to know about Klopps outlook.

Lynch04

TIA New Signing
I think the question is a valid one for discussion sakes but in my opinion Henderson is captain and Milner vice captain. Both players are leaders, i mentioned it before re: England, Kane being given the captaincy was ridiculous. Guess what the proper Captain Hendo didnt moan and got on with it, probably Englands best player alongside Trippier. When ‘cant remember what team’ in the WC got their penalty only one player passionately debated it. Kane was probably rubbing his shoulder in preparation.
Look, VVD is pure class and a born leader, he gains instant respect from his team mates and the opposition, that is clear. I just think Hendo is spicier, more likely to give the Ref/opposition his opinion and in terms of team harmony publicly humiliating him would destroy the team unity and lose Klopp respect from the squad.

Red Ted

He played very well in 13/14 and especially towards the end of the season, after the City red card many fans at the time were not happy about him missing the last games and thought he could/would be a big miss, that reaction proved how well he was playing, he did prove a miss too.

I do think a bit of that was the Suarez effect, his influence dragged every player up a level that season.

I'd have Van Dijk as captain, it's such an obvious thing to do.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
A potential problem for both Henderson and Milner is going to be the likelihood of them being automatic first choice selections moving forward. Its the same in any team in any sport.
Why? Kehl was Klopps captain for years and he wasn’t an automatic starter. People think of club captain far too myopian, its a far reaching role. Just like people say how excellent Gerrard was, yet he also had an unbelievable supporting cast of born leaders in Carragher, Alonso, Hyypia, Alonso, Masher, Torres (most of whom were club captains before joining here).

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Nope, i dont. I think this idea some fans have that Henderson is on borrowed time are very much mistaken. Klopp sees him as his captain, like it or not. I dont get the clamour for van Dijk to be made captain either just because the defence is better now.
I can only answer for myself here, but its patently obvious that VDV is already orchestrating things on the pitch. He moves players into positions, watch him and you can see it. He is in the Ron Yeats mould of a Colossus, a born leader and a giant those around him respect.
Hendo is not guaranteed his place in the team. The midfield we may see most of will in my view consist of Fabinho, Gini and Shaqiri or Keita. That's not accounting for Oxlade coming back and Miner being a better fit than Hendo anyway. But that's a different argument.
I my opinion VDV will be The next LFC captain to lift a trophy. Stick a tenner on that!

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
I can only answer for myself here, but its patently obvious that VDV is already orchestrating things on the pitch. He moves players into positions, watch him and you can see it. He is in the Ron Yeats mould of a Colossus, a born leader and a giant those around him respect.
Hendo is not guaranteed his place in the team. The midfield we may see most of will in my view consist of Fabinho, Gini and Shaqiri or Keita. That's not accounting for Oxlade coming back and Miner being a better fit than Hendo anyway. But that's a different argument.
I my opinion VDV will be The next LFC captain to lift a trophy. Stick a tenner on that!
He is definitely the captain of the defence. Look at how we defend set pieces now. Once a real weakness for us, it's now a strength. The number of times we catch times offside by holding a high line is really impressive. Obviously a lot of work goes on in training but on the pitch you need someone to lead and organise in those situations and that's what VVD does.

Have to agree.
But I think he probably already knew what the outcome of the vote was likely to be.
When you compare this to the actions of Pochetino, and Southgate, it is a master stroke. And let's not even go to the captaincy sitcom at Man Utd
Jurgen's man management skills are amazing. The way he handles everything, there's a certain flair about this guy.