Do we need a new Captain?

Should Jordan Henderson be captain of Liverpool for the 2018-19 season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Limiescouse

Why? Kehl was Klopps captain for years and he wasn’t an automatic starter. People think of club captain far too myopian, its a far reaching role.
I think this is very important. Hendo is club captain. Wearing the armband and leading out the side is only a tiny part of that. And whomever is chosen to wear the armband on a given day has no bearing on what license each other player for fixing stuff on the pitch they observe needs to be fixed. VVD isn't going to decline the responsibility of organizing the defensive line at a free kick just because Hendo has the arm band any more than he is going to do it better just because he is wearing it. The armband has no bearing at all on those things.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I can only answer for myself here, but its patently obvious that VDV is already orchestrating things on the pitch. He moves players into positions, watch him and you can see it. He is in the Ron Yeats mould of a Colossus, a born leader and a giant those around him respect.
Hendo is not guaranteed his place in the team. The midfield we may see most of will in my view consist of Fabinho, Gini and Shaqiri or Keita. That's not accounting for Oxlade coming back and Miner being a better fit than Hendo anyway. But that's a different argument.
I my opinion VDV will be The next LFC captain to lift a trophy. Stick a tenner on that!
Nothing like Hyypia used to continue to organise the defence when he had Stevie as his captain? The same guy who actually took the armband from him.. Stevie couldn’t organise a defensive line if his life depended on it back then.

Far far too small minded about captains v’s leaders in the team and how both are not mutual exclusive roles.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Far far too small minded about captains v’s leaders in the team and how both are not mutual exclusive roles.
Who is far too small minded??
I stated from my point of view.
You comparing Hyypias relationship with Gerrard to the contemporary set up makes no sense.

Limiescouse

You comparing Hyypias relationship with Gerrard to the contemporary set up makes no sense.
He is saying it too narrow a perspective to think ONLY of what happens on the pitch during games. He is also saying that whomever is wearing the armband has no bearing on whether player is going to contribute to fixing things on the pitch in real time. Players that do do and players that don't do not. The Hyppia point is relevant because Hyppia's conduct on the pitch and the way he organized his teammates was totally unaltered by the armband being taken off him.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
He is saying it too narrow a perspective to think ONLY of what happens on the pitch during games. He is also saying that whomever is wearing the armband has no bearing on whether player is going to contribute to fixing things on the pitch in real time. Players that do do and players that don't do not. The Hyppia point is relevant because Hyppia's conduct on the pitch and the way he organized his teammates was totally unaltered by the armband being taken off him.
Thanks for clarification on his behalf, but no doubt he can and will do so himself. Anyway, I am aware of leadership styles and responsibilities. And I believe, maybe in an old fashioned way that the captain needs to be on the pitch, most of the time. Gerrard was always going to start games, so Sami handing over the job, or having himself replaced wasn't a big shock. Hendo isnt going to always start, can we agree?? Hendo doesn't show calm collected qualities required ON the pitch. VDV does. Ergo, my view as stated. To be honest I have studied leadership, so I don't need schooling in it.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I think this is very important. Hendo is club captain. Wearing the armband and leading out the side is only a tiny part of that. And whomever is chosen to wear the armband on a given day has no bearing on what license each other player for fixing stuff on the pitch they observe needs to be fixed. VVD isn't going to decline the responsibility of organizing the defensive line at a free kick just because Hendo has the arm band any more than he is going to do it better just because he is wearing it. The armband has no bearing at all on those things.
This is it, everyone should read/know this before posting in this thread.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
As Limie explained far more concisely I rest my case with his answer!