Do we need a new Captain?

Should Jordan Henderson be captain of Liverpool for the 2018-19 season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
The centre back comment was made in jest. Commitment means more than hard work.
Hyypia showed he had leadership by passing gerrard the ceremonial baton. It helped him become a more sensible player while Hyypia was already cool and collected.

What rodgers like about henderson was that he was willing to alter his game and pass the ball better on the deck in the possession style he was looking for. If he was the safe-sideways option, gerrard was the go forward option. Henderson suited gerrard, more than shelvey who was too similar to our captain.

Henderson never sulked when rodgers came in and deployed shelvey, suso, allen, and what have you.
*runs hand through meticulously gelled hair*

A true leader does not need an armband. Right now, things are fine. There is literally no need to play both henderson and milner at the same time unless milner is filling in at full back. Keita and fabinho provide more balance.
No.
Henderson is my captain whenever he starts.
VVD is a natural leader and will organise anyway irrespective of Henderson.
I hear ya... fellas..

So what I get from this is, in the DC world, Henderson would be the Batman who is very committed to the cause and put himself out there to get things done, but don't possess any super human power. Unlike Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman or Flash. Just money, brain, connection and hardwork. lollol

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Funny that under his leadership we have had our best ever start to a Premier League campaign. Better than Gerrard ever managed.. yet some people think he won’t be our captain next season.
Maybe our start is down to klopp despite his attempts to destroy team morale :think:

Seriously though , i agree with you that there is no reason to change captain and if anything it might have a negative effect because on some because Henderson has been captain a while

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Sound. We differ in our expectations of leaders. To me it requires a bit more than Hendo offers.
Limiescouser is right through. Club captaincy goes beyond the ninety minute window into the club we see once or twice a week.

By all accounts Henderson is fantastic with players off the pitch. He is an exemplary professional, takes responsibility for helping lads settle, is an ear whenever they want to talk and he takes responsibility when things need to happen. Klopp obviously likes what he sees in him.

Regarding on the pitch captaincy, the fact that Jurgen Googled when players arrived before giving the captaincy to Coutinho tells you all you need to know about his views on the matter. He expects his players to all demonstrate leadership on the pitch. I don’t think he is arsed who has the arm band on.

I noticed Van Dijk run the length of the pitch in Sunday to give the arm band to Mane to pass to Henderson when he was subbed. Despite it only being a short cameo, the players obviously know and respect who the captain is.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Sometimes, no matter how plainly a ship may be sailing, some still want to distract the captain by changing his hat. Is it really worth the distraction? If we skimmed a coral reef because we were distracted would it have been worth it?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
By all accounts Henderson is fantastic with players off the pitch. He is an exemplary professional, takes responsibility for helping lads settle, is an ear whenever they want to talk and he takes responsibility when things need to happen. Klopp obviously likes what he sees in him.
I can't say he did that though.... if by taking responsibility means not talking to the teammates when he is wanted to leave the club, then you are correct. Like I said, changing captaincy right now not going to help morale for sure, because we don't know how Henderson and the rest would react. But Oxlade-Chamberlain is a much better candidate for the younger boys to lean to, compared to Henderson. Cast you mind back on how Oxlade-Chamberlain handles Coutinho's incident and then compared it to Henderson.

Red Armada

TIA Regular
Don't think we need to change captain. What has Hendo actually done wrong? Do 'fans' really want him to be stripped captaincy due to him not being the best player on the pitch , that's not what captaincy is about , its about leadership and inspiration. It is impossible to say what happens behind the scenes from our point of view from outside the training ground but Hendo may be a leader, a person to chat to for the players to give inspiration in times of need .Just because you don't see him spraying balls all round the pitch and scoring like Stevie G doesnt make him less a captain.
This. Besides this is a total non-issue. Things are ticking over nicely, there is absolutely no need to even pose the question.

Dane

NEXT!
I think the writing is on the wall for Henderson.
It looks more than likely that VVD will be our skipper next season.
Given that there was no dialogue in this thread for 6 weeks prior to my post, I can only assume the ensuing discussion is a result of my post.

Neither I nor anyone else has suggested that Henderson should not be, or is not worthy of being our captain.

I'm simply basing an opinion on the evidence of what I'm seeing, and that is VDV showing very strong vocal leadership, and more importantly leading by example.
Couple that with the frequency that Henderson is relegated to the bench, my opinion is that during the summer we may see changes.

Anfield rd Dreamer

The last line of my post. What are you basing yours on?
Just because Henderson didn't say in an interview during the Coutinho saga what he was saying to the player doesn't mean he hadn't said anything. The cases of Gerrard talking to Suarez and Torres were not said during either. We learnt about them afterwards. If, during, the Coutinho will he/won't he situation Henderson had said anything other than he did I'm pretty sure it would have been a mistake that could have helped stir things up even more.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Just because Henderson didn't say in an interview during the Coutinho saga what he was saying to the player doesn't mean he hadn't said anything.
Nothing comes out afterwards either, nothing from Coutinho and nothing from anyone. Suarez and Torres came out and spoke about them confided in Gerrard. So there ya go.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Nothing comes out afterwards either, nothing from Coutinho and nothing from anyone. Suarez and Torres came out and spoke about them confided in Gerrard. So there ya go.
So it's Coutinhos fault for not saying what happened behind closed doors? Fact is we don't know what happened. So I don't know how you can use it as proof Henderson didn't do the right thing.

[email protected]

Not a question of captaincy being turned over this season and nor should it be. We've got a good dynamic and a great team spirit but with Henderson starting less games and Milner aging abit and also not really going to be starting every game its possible that VVD will have more starting appearances as captain to his name at the end of the season than our captain and vice.

Its going to happen at some point. My honest opinion is that we will see next season start with VVD as Club captain.

Red over the water

We don’t need to make a thing out of this. Henderson is a good lad. And like everyone has said, he does a lot off the pitch. He welcomes players and supports them. I remember seeing pictures of Henderson at a couple of Salah award things. I’m sure it was a pain in the neck for him to go. He’s a multi-millionaire family man who seems to like the quiet life, but he went to support his teammate and that sort of thing can’t be overlooked.

If Henderson is on a path where he ends up out of the side more often than in the side, we might make the change in summer. And Van Dijk is the obvious choice. But there’s good harmony at the moment, and so to answer the question posed in the poll, do we need a new captain for the 2018-19 season, it’s a definite no.

Next season? Let’s see how we go.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
I know Henderson is way down the pecking order when it comes to team selection.
Keita fabinho wijnaldum milner ahead of him.
What I like about Henderson is he will work his ass out for us to get back into the starting lineup. I have seen that before and I am certain I will see it again.
I think even klopp recognises that.
As the season progresses everyone will understand his value.
He's just unlucky, he has lost so many finals. People here would have a different opinion of him had he won those

Red over the water

My own personal view is I like Henderson. He's a good player, a model pro, and a top class human being.

The only slight disconnect on the captaincy thing, as we look to the future, is as when we start to consider the team we are becoming. If Henderson is out more often than not, and there are signs that is beginning to happen, then even though the captain's role is wider than what happens on the pitch, it would probably put the captaincy in jeopardy for him.

I think there's a place for him here, and I think he can continue to make a valuable contribution, such as we saw against Napoli. But based on the players here right now, without even thinking about possible future signings, I would say Fabinho and Keita will start to nail down two of the three starting midfield spots. Henderson will rotate in to keep the level high, but there's a fair argument to be had if that sort of reduced role is what we would want for a captain.

At the moment there's harmony and there's no need to force this, but I would imagine that by the summer we'll have more clarity.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
You’re going on a single interview from a year ago? Fair enough.

I’m going on what pretty much everyone from inside the club has said.
I don't have the privy for such information.... don't know anyone close inside the club to tell me these things.

James H

"One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"
Maybe the issue shouldn't be on who starts more often but moreso who klopp trusts in the "big" games. Henderson more often than not starts the games we "need" to win. Signalling a trust from klopp that can only be built with time.

Custodian

"Onwards and upwards"
Well said Eddie, but the thing is that every Liverpool fan wants us to win because they give their support , so when we dont win ,then they feel entitled to criticise . Personally i was more critical of that Mike Atkinson,Leicester City's 12th man, than our team that day. Leicester played well enough all the same.

Custodian

"Onwards and upwards"
While I don't think Henderson is the right person for the job but i think changing him mid season would be a major fuck up as you dont know what kinda damage that could have to team moral
Is right, 'better the devil you know' ,eh?

JibJab

Mo Mane Mo' Problems
I'm sure he carries himself with dignity, and his teammates respect him. But you can't lead on the pitch if you're sitting on the bench, and that's where Hendo belongs when this team is at full strength. Give the captaincy to VVD.

Neukolln

No, I don't think as long as Hendo is at the club they should strip him of the Captaincy. IMO that's the type of stuff that causes dressing room cliques and divides amongst the boys. It undermines culture.

I do want to make mention of something related to Captaincy discussion, that has annoyed me for years. Not just our squad but every PL team...when the Assistant Captain relinquish the armband when the Captain comes on (if he didn't start the match).That has always struck me as awkward, almost petty. If you start the match as Captain, just finish the match as Captain. Ever player should be secure enough for that to happen.

The Infamous

Hendo leads by example to say he is not a leader is false he is our enforcer and communicator on the pitch he’s always egging on players. Captain talk should be left to the gaffer and he like everyone else sees Leadership qualities in Hendo.