Do we need a new Captain?

Should Jordan Henderson be captain of Liverpool for the 2018-19 season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
There are many skills and abilities involved with football. I don't see why the leadership abilities that make the best Captain choices on and off the pitch should be subject to consideration of the best on pitch playing abilities. It's like saying the shrewdest negotiator at a company should be their PR representative because they are doing the best job elsewhere. A team is an entity that is together for a good proportion of the week. They only actually get on the pitch together for a very limited period of time within that. If Henderson is doing what a Captain needs to on and off the pitch then there's no need to change things. It's clearly not having a detrimental effect at the moment. I'm sure Klopp will make a decision when it's needed and not before.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
I think we need a new poll as it's missleading. I have personally changed my mind since it was first open.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I think this thread needs deleting.
Hasn't aged well, has it?

If anything the last few matches have shown just how essential Hendo is to the smooth running of this side. He's probably one of the first names on the team-sheet at this point.

Edit: I've also enabled the option for people to change their votes if they wish.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Hasn't aged well, has it?

If anything the last few matches have shown just how essential Hendo is to the smooth running of this side. He's probably one of the first names on the team-sheet at this point.

Edit: I've also enabled the option for people to change their votes if they wish.
Why let a fool no longer be publically said fool? (says one who has been wrong so many times, but got this one right..)

Noo Noo

To be fair, he's changed, he's grown into a different animal to the one we saw 3 years ago. Last year was another step in that progression. This year, he's become indispensable

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
A valid discussion to be having a couple of years ago although there's no way that JK changes the captaincy while Henderson is still at the club. That's just not how he works, but it was less than a year ago that Henderson was subbed against Spurs at Anfield after having a terrible game. Plenty of audible grumbles from the crowd that day about his performance and he knew it. Next game he scores against Southampton, gives our fans the ears celebration and the rest is history.

His form this season has been fantastic and he has developed into a fine leader. The confidence instilled by the CL win has lifted him to another level. I have not seen him play this well and so consistently at any other time in his Liverpool career. I really hope he's on the pitch against Atletico. He was the driving force behind the Barcelona victory.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Im not sure he has. I just think as a player without flair the views many people have on him tend to rise and fall with the success of the side.
Exactly! He's been an essential component of this side since he played his way into it during Rodgers first year. Whenever he doesn't play we suffer. Doesn't always do flashy stuff that gets him attention usual flies under the radar keeping everything ticking.

Incognito

The Normal One
Love bumping this thread just for two reasons-

1. Don't let doubters get to you, and nothing is permanent. You can change everyone's perception with time

2. We have no idea what Klopp knows and what the internal chemistry of team is, and why certain decisions are made. And he's never in haste to jump to conclusions.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
A majority of posters in here wanted a change... o_O

(Edit: to be fair, it's three years ago, but still, patience has been rewarded here)

Incognito

The Normal One
A majority of posters in here wanted a change... o_O
There was a post about selling him back at cut price to Sunderland and making Can as captain so that he signs a new contract.

And another was to make Bobby the captain because he fires up the teammate and even players like Coutinho do that, and Hendo might be able to focus more on his game. Also Bobby would be good to handle off pitch activities. :rolleyes:

@Hope in your heart hahaha that ZB's reaction is gold

PS. Also another reason for bumping is @Alright Now reminding me of this, before he comes and asks for credit :cautious:

iftikhar

Ashamed but brave enough to say that I started to doubt Henderson at some point.

Nice to get it off the chest.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
Any time an older thread gets bumped it can be cringe inducing, as football can be emotional. I was relieved to know I had a somewhat rational view that day. :LOL: :cool:

No, I don't think as long as Hendo is at the club they should strip him of the Captaincy. IMO that's the type of stuff that causes dressing room cliques and divides amongst the boys. It undermines culture.

Neukolln

Ad-free Member
TBH I might have as well, there are many posts which look stupid later but had made sense then. But just how much someone can change the perception of anyone by pure hardwork is what IMO this thread represent.
100% all of this. Literally every single one of us has made a thought in a moment based on how we were feeling and what we were seeing IN that moment, that we later changed our minds about. Literally every single one of us. It’s what makes us human. Does not in any way make us any less of a supporter.

And to the second points - YES. Think of all the stick and abuse Hendo took from people and now those same people love him. He stayed true to himself and to the Club.