• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Do we need a new Captain?

Should Jordan Henderson be captain of Liverpool for the 2018-19 season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

James H

"One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"
Pulled himself out of the city game too if I remember rightly.

Behaved completely the wrong way, the type of stuff that burns players forever at LFC.

however, with march, it was different, maybe the amount of effort shown on the park bought him that leeway, maybe it was the ensuing years of the whole Lucas is the best/worst player ever, or, to my mind, as fuzzy as it is, maybe it was just that we as a club were resigned to some very troubled times with those owners....there's no way known players wouldn't have been surrounded by the noise of what was happening behind the scenes, and the opportunity to play for what was one of the greatest club sides ever assembled...how can you hold that against a player.

Could things have run smoother...hell yes....could mascherano have done anything different and still got his move....dunno.

It's one of those ones where you just feel you don't know enough, and never will.

As for the captaincy...in my opinion, you don't strip the captaincy mid season, especially as Jordan's only crime is not being better than what he is....as a sportsman, he displays a great additude and professionalism...you just don't do it to someone, unless they cross serious disciplinary boundaries ( opinion).
No real argument here, but as much as I wouldn't mind seeing an aging masch back as a player I do not want him as captain. I actually bear no ill will towards him but the suggestion he could come back and be captain?

Also agree on the mid season point, its just too destabilizing.

Ron Swanson

In a word Yes, I like Jordan as a player but he isn't a Captain, in fact we don't have a single leader in the team. That footage that's doing the rounds of Salah reacting to the equaliser showed more passion than I have seen in any of our players in a long time.
Hopefully VVD (if we get him) and Kieta will change that and give us true leaders on the pitch.
The captain should leader by example on and off the pitch but most importantly when it goes against us to try and grab the game by the scruff of the next and put some fight back into the side. Sadly Jordan has never done that.

1dragon

TIA Regular
As many have alluded to, we do not have a suitable candidate in our squad to replace Henderson. So it is a no for now. But say we procure a couple of players who have better qualities than Henderson over the next few windows, then I am all for it.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Don’t see why we are having this discussion now.
Who is there to replace him,seriously,?
Don’t see how changing captain mid season would do anything constructive

[email protected]

Don’t see why we are having this discussion now.
Who is there to replace him,seriously,?
Don’t see how changing captain mid season would do anything constructive
Henderson isn't good enough to warrant being a nailed on starter and that's where the problem of the captaincy lies. For all that the merits of the armband in football appears to have changed over the years actually having the armband surely means you play more often than not unless one is on the way to becoming figurehead club captain on the way to retirement or winding down a career.

That is not the case with Henderson and so it becomes a problem imho. One good season. One. Inconsistent, average and injury prone. I was in favour of Çan and even Sakho before his fall from grace but with Çan's future in doubt then I no longer advocate that until he commits and matures and obviously Sakho has departed.

If we are looking for someone who has been here longer than two seasons, who is a nailed on starter when fit unless being rested and performs to a level that most people are comfortable with, and not looking for a move like Phil, then Firmino is the only person that jumps out of a pretty sorry bunch when it comes to that.

Thats just my opinion, obviously and while leadership is a group effort in football at least our captain would be someone who himself isn't bang average.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Moreno should be made club captain immediately. The extra responsibility will sort his head out once and for all and settle the whole defence.

Just my opinion.
Dont think so as if he can't handle the extra responsibility of been a a dad without making him sleepy on matchdays he'll never be able to boss 11 grown men around a field

Elessar

Being Captain of the club also means a lot of extra responsibility off the pitch. Meeting sponsors, represent the club in a lot activites and so on.

Some players cope doing that and it won't affect them on the pitch. They play worse because of it. Maybe Henderson would play better if he could concentrate a lot more on the football bit. We don't have a clue about that.

Let say that Firminho took over as Captain. Maybe he would play better because of it. Again, we don't have a clue.

Even a very young player could be a very good Captain even that he almost never played for the first team. He could be a better leader and cope better off the pitch than someone that played a long time for the club.

It is very difficult almost impossible to know who can cope or not being Captain of the club before he been that a couple of years.

I would say that Henderson proved that he can't cope. If he can't accept another player taking over as Captain then he really isn't a good leader.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Do we need a new captain? Do we need a boss new CB? Odd how those two questions could have been answered and solved for the price of an Ox. For the record, I love JH although he's really suffered from injury in recent memory, but he's no captain.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Being Captain of the club also means a lot of extra responsibility off the pitch. Meeting sponsors, represent the club in a lot activites and so on.
(....)

Even a very young player could be a very good Captain even that he almost never played for the first team. He could be a better leader and cope better off the pitch than someone that played a long time for the club.
Meeting sponsors are not exclusive to captain, and sponsors don't ask the captain of the football club alone to be the spokesperson. StandardChartered summoned Coutinho, Firmino and Mignolet in their last event to be our club rep, not Henderson alone. So let's not make off the pitch event an issue, and let's not come up with assumptions that made it feel like being a club captain has more off the pitch activities to attend as if they are Hollywood movie personalities promoting their latest movie in a red carpet event every week or month.

As for your "almost never played in the first team" a captain and good leader is absurd. We are calling for leadership on the pitch and if the player is not featured as a starter for the first team, what's the point of him being our captain. Sometimes I wonder how your thought process works, left me puzzled thinking you must have a lot of time in your hands to have that much imagination running wild in your head.

Elessar

Meeting sponsors are not exclusive to captain, and sponsors don't ask the captain of the football club alone to be the spokesperson. StandardChartered summoned Coutinho, Firmino and Mignolet in their last event to be our club rep, not Henderson alone. So let's not make off the pitch event an issue, and let's not come up with assumptions that made it feel like being a club captain has more off the pitch activities to attend as if they are Hollywood movie personalities promoting their latest movie in a red carpet event every week or month.

As for your "almost never played in the first team" a captain and good leader is absurd. We are calling for leadership on the pitch and if the player is not featured as a starter for the first team, what's the point of him being our captain. Sometimes I wonder how your thought process works, left me puzzled thinking you must have a lot of time in your hands to have that much imagination running wild in your head.
Your usual trying to start a figth end of a post. What a surprise, or maybe not. Illuvatar is right, your are a bully. A couple of days ago you had a go at him and now me. I wonder who your next victim will be. You clearly only post here to start fights.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Your usual trying to start a figth end of a post. What a surprise, or maybe not. Illuvatar is right, your are a bully. A couple of days ago you had a go at him and now me. I wonder who your next victim will be. You clearly only post here to start fights.
If what I said actually hurt you, or whoever that fella you mentioned is, then I think you both needs to grow a thicker skin. Read what you write again and see if it makes any sense, when everyone here was talking about on-pitch leadership. There are reasons why some of those posts were picked... it isn't exclusive to the both of you alone. So let's not get ahead of yourself here....

Chung

TIA top poster
Ad-free Member
Give the armband to Can and he'll sign on the dotted line, in turn sell Hendo back to Sunderland for a cut price fee to get him off our wage bill.

Elessar

Can a mod please close the thread now. It is no point keeping it open. The reason being that the usual pissing contest have now started and that means that subject won't be discussed that much more.

Elessar

If what I said actually hurt you, or whoever that fella you mentioned is, then I think you both needs to grow a thicker skin. Read what you write again and see if it makes any sense, when everyone here was talking about on-pitch leadership.
I don't need a thicker skin. Bullying isn't allowed. You should be able to discuss the subjects without bullying but you clearly isn't old enough to understand that because you bully not only me but a lot of posters here. Bullying is a part of your posting style.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I don't need a thicker skin. Bullying isn't allowed. You should be able to discuss the subjects without bullying but you clearly isn't old enough to understand that because you bully not only me but a lot of posters here. Bullying is a part of your posting style.
What the fuck? Might wanna check with most what that word means.... if you can't handle being questioned, it isn't me that has a problem. I take it as much as I handed it out, maybe you should do the same.

Elessar

What the fuck? Might wanna check with most what that word means.... if you can't handle being questioned, it isn't me that has a problem. I take it as much as I handed it out, maybe you should do the same.
I can handle being questioned without any problem at all. Bullying isn't the same as being questioned but you clearly don't understand that.
You can disagree with someone without calling him/her all sort of things the way you do in a lot of posts.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
I can handle being questioned without any problem at all. Bullying isn't the same as being questioned but you clearly don't understand that.
You can disagree with someone without calling him/her all sort of things the way you do in a lot of posts.
Questioning opinion is not bullying,you're stretching it a bit mate.:)

Elessar

Questioning opinion is not bullying,you're stretching it a bit mate.:)
This is bullying, not questioning.

Sometimes I wonder how your thought process works, left me puzzled thinking you must have a lot of time in your hands to have that much imagination running wild in your head.

The above don't have anything at all to do with the subject of the thread, nothing at all, NOTHING. It is bullying, it is personal.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
This is bullying, not questioning.

Sometimes I wonder how your thought process works, left me puzzled thinking you must have a lot of time in your hands to have that much imagination running wild in your head.

The above don't have anything at all to do with the subject of the thread, nothing at all, NOTHING. It is bullying, it is personal.
That statement could've been about me,we all think differently.

Elessar

That statement could've been about me,we all think differently.
It still have nothing to do with the the thread. It still is bullying. If he want to bully me then send me a PM to keep it out of the threads. Personal insults isn't allowed and you know it.

James H

"One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"
It still have nothing to do with the the thread. It still is bullying. If he want to bully me then send me a PM to keep it out of the threads. Personal insults isn't allowed and you know it.
Its not really an insult though and if it was meant as one, I mean, my kids say meaner things than that. If you don't like what Eddie says put him on ignore no point throwing the toys outta the pram asking for the thread to be closed. There is an interesting debate to be had here, I think its a decent thread.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Condescension is not bullying,it's part of everyday life where i come from.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Questioning about my age would have been more of a personal insult than what I asked you. That sort of question was thrown in this forum by many, it isn't mine to use exclusively. Try scour around and you'll see such posts and banter. I think you should just stop taking things so personal.

Elessar

Condescension is not bullying,it's part of everyday life where i come from.
It shouldn't be because it is still personal insults. The world don't need more people like Trump. It one of the reasons that many players can't communicate with fans on social media because people like you and Eddie thinks that it isn't a problem and part of life when it isn't. It isn't a part of life to be personal insulted.

You can discuss things without personal insults. That is called a discussion.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
It shouldn't be because it is still personal insults. The world don't need more people like Trump. It one of the reasons that many players can't communicate with fans on social media because people like you and Eddie thinks that it isn't a problem and part of life when it isn't. It isn't a part of life to be personal insulted.

You can discuss things without personal insults. That is called a discussion.
People like me ?,not being an hypocrite there at all then,fuck sake.lol

Bonus

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
Moreno should be made club captain immediately. The extra responsibility will sort his head out once and for all and settle the whole defence.

Just my opinion.
not sure if your serious or not......

but whatever, the same could be said of Lovren.