Do we need a new Captain?

Should Jordan Henderson be captain of Liverpool for the 2018-19 season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

[email protected]

I was just responding to the myth saying that there is no one to lead the team .
Look I personally do not entirely disagree with you but the manner that you potray is often completely condescending and as happens with such a manner often leads to antagonistism and to your actual point being lost. Its doesn't help when you're constantly beating the same drum with little contribution in the positive elsewhere.

Keegans Perm

In my opinion I think a successful football team and especially this team at Liverpool now, need a few 'captains'. A few leaders that aren't afraid to take command, shout orders and put in 100% hard working performances every game. Jordan Henderson in the centre of the pitch is certainly not enough. We need a keeper that commands his area and screams at his defence whenever he can see any form of danger occuring. We need a vocal, no nonsense centre back thats going to properly organize that defence. Last time we had that was when we had Reina, Carragher and Hyppia and then Gerrard in the middle. Yes they still made mistakes from time to time but they were never on the scale of the kind of schoolboy errors certain players tend to keep making at the moment. Just better communication is whats needed. I dont think just changing who is captain will solve anything.

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
I wonder at times whether being Captain affects Hendo's game,but at the minute who among the nailed on starters stands out as captain?
Milner is not a constant in the starting line up,and why anyone would want Coutinho as captain after doing everything he could to force a move in the summer,is beyond me.If that doesn't get resurrected again I'd think about him,but not now.
Not convinced about anyone else,tbh.
The idea of bringing a new player in and immediately making him Captain doesn't work for me either.Some players take a while to settle,some never do,and adding the arm band to that settling in seems not very clever,and of course might cause some ructions in the dressing room,short term at least.

Mikel.de

Banned Users
@Keegans Perm : Said so....The question is: Who to Buy ?

Keeper: Navas--Trapp--Arrizabalaga--Perin--Courtois maybe Pickfort?
CB : VVD--de Vrij--Tah--Dier
MF : Reus--Carrasco--Draxler--Mahrez--Arthur

VVD and one or two of thouse were a Dream....

Firmino the Captain and VVD the Vice....screaming loud: We all Live in Future world....

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Coutinho as captain?

He spent the summer agitating for a move to the point of putting in a request the day before our first match, he is at it again in advance of January, and will almost certainly get his move in the summer.

On the pitch he chews the ball, ignores passes to teammates in better positions, is constantly looking for the long shot, and has the air of a lad in it for himself.

I'll pass on the Phil as Captain thing.

K

Klopptinho

Coutinho as captain?

He spent the summer agitating for a move to the point of putting in a request the day before our first match, he is at it again in advance of January, and will almost certainly get his move in the summer.

On the pitch he chews the ball, ignores passes to teammates in better positions, is constantly looking for the long shot, and has the air of a lad in it for himself.

not captain material .. i feel it needs to be a british player and preferably a boyhood supporter. Not much worse for a team than a captain having a desire to play elsewhere .

Abdel

Coutinho as captain?

He is the player who assist the most in the team , the stats don't fit your narrative .

K

Klopptinho

He is the player who assist the most in the team , the stats don't fit your narrative .
stats can be misleading. i'm sure you have watched us play and seen the types of performances that @Mascot88 speaks about . i'm certain that we have all seen them. he's infuriating at times and magical at others .. but make him captain and he'll demand more of the ball .. and teams will shut us down even quicker . Divock Origi has a better success rate with shots from outside of the box - that says a lot .

Abdel

stats can be misleading. i'm sure you have watched us play and seen the types of performances that @Mascot88 speaks about . i'm certain that we have all seen them. he's infuriating at times and magical at others .. but make him captain and he'll demand more of the ball .. and teams will shut us down even quicker . Divock Origi has a better success rate with shots from outside of the box - that says a lot .
It's called responsibility , that's exactly how a captain lead his team , showing them the route , set in the tempo ( like the Moscow game ) .

K

Klopptinho

It's called responsibility , that's exactly how a captain lead his team , showing them the route , set in the tempo ( like the Moscow game ) .
but a player that does not pass to other players 75% (guesstimate) and instead attempts to score from 25 - 30 yards is to the detriment of the team - that's what he resorts to doing against packed defences . what we require is someone big enough and brave enough to demand a different route and i don't believe that coutinho will look for that route .. in fact he is far more likely given his previous history - resort to more long range attempts .

we also don't require a captain who has expressed his desire to play elsewhere.

the whole argument about him being made captain is a joke. it's something that actually makes no sense.

Mikel.de

Banned Users
I have a Idea: Replace Hendo in Midfield with Adam, and give him the Armband. When Keita is there, then there is no room for Hendo anyway. So he can already prepare for it.

Make Sense: Lallana is a good Player, also a good Captain and he is a English Mate. Roberto as Vice.

I do not see any other solution that would speak for us.

Couts is gone, Can too, Hendo is weak and the only Guy behind Lallana is Millie, but he is also not first choice.

K

Klopptinho

watch him play. he's constantly looking for the opportunity to shoot against a packed defence - passing becomes a secondary thought.

also .. whaaat? is actually written as WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!!!!!!!!??????????? . if you're going to be astounded by something i say.. let me know categorically . please lol (i'm unsure if you don't actually understand or that you are believing i am some kind of buffoon!)

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Coutinho is not a leader or deserves the armband and just because we won well with him wearing it doesn't mean shit,a non committed player who's desires we've all seen lay elsewhere just leaves a bad taste in the mouth when "awarded" the captains armband.imo.

K

Klopptinho

Coutinho is not a leader or deserves the armband and just because we won well with him wearing it doesn't mean shit,a non committed player who's desires we've all seen lay elsewhere just leaves a bad taste in the mouth when "awarded" the captains armband.imo.
1 sort of swear word. good post btw . 50p in the jar .

K

Klopptinho

makes no sense to me at all to make him captain - despite my username being in part dedication towards him.. he's now more reminiscent of more profile avatar . keeps playing his own tune and banging his drum.. but no fucker actually seems to care that much anymore . nail your colours to the mast and commit yourself to the cause or go boil your head in messi's shit stained underwear .

redaderry

Personally i like Henderson and think he deserves more time in the role, as he matures, he will become more comfortable with it. He's still only 27.
What about Oxlade Chamberlain for a future captain? A young English Liverpool supporter. He's only 24 and could really become an influencial member of the squad.

K

Klopptinho

Personally i like Henderson and think he deserves more time in the role, as he matures, he will become more comfortable with it. He's still only 27.
What about Oxlade Chamberlain for a future captain? A young English Liverpool supporter. He's only 24 and could really become an influencial member of the squad.
i think gomez appears to have the beans. i have no idea that means.. but i ll stick with that .

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Yes that is key. If without him we struggled to either defend or attack then there are enough merit to say he should naturally be our skipper. He doesn't have the defensive side of the game enough, and not contributing in attacks, and at his age, should be his peak and pulling the strings in midfield. I am quite disappointed.
To be brutal honest it was never in the script for him to be held at the status he is held at now as captain of LFC, on top player salary. He struggled in his first few seasons for us and could easy been tossed to the side, but he reaped the benefits of SAS and Gerrard to the max (and by having a british passport) once Stevie left and he had to step up as his successor Jordan been more and more exposed for what he is and definitely put the theory to rest that being in Stevies shadow (at that time) was holding him back. Also his injury from last season seem to have compromised his previous main strengths, his physic. His new role in the side also compromise his strengths a bit too I think. For me It was always in the cards that he would be a squad player for us but a great one though, but he's been pushed forward by the club to be a key player and front figure for the club and that is too big shoes for him to fill I'm afraid, it's not surprising he looks a bit heavy and slow these days with those boulders on his shoulder.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Plain and simple our offensive is way better than our defensive so maybe by that logic the Captain should come from offensive this time. Look who's been our most used captains since Gerrard. Lovren, Lucas, Milner and Henderson. All shite upon shite from our shite defensive. Unless the armband is cursed, we should give it to one of the fab four, that's only right I reckon. No one from our defensive deserves it to be honest, not with the form they been representing over the years.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Klopp has said about Coutinho being captain, that he has only worn the armband because Phil has been the longest serving Liverpool player on the pitch. But, Klopp admitted he had to Google this. lol

K

Klopptinho

Klopp has said about Coutinho being captain, that he has only worn the armband because Phil has been the longest serving Liverpool player on the pitch. But, Klopp admitted he had to Google this. lol
oooh that means if sturridge is fit .. he'd be captain ? and if trent plays .. he'd beat them all by around 12 years ? some academy product making his debut been at the club since he was 5.. by the way .. not only are you starting.. you're captain lol

that would be my maniac way of approaching the issue and @Scott Jones would be happy with gomez not being considered yet . excellent lol lol lol

K

Klopptinho

lol people suggesting captains from our current set of players that often appear far too gormless and would likely struggle to lead us out of the tunnel lollol

Elessar

As already mentioned. We need many players with very good/excellent leadership in the squad, not only one or a couple. IMO the manager should really never buy a player that isn't a good leader because then you know that he will week in week out work his socks off, he will put the team first even if he want to leave some day.

When it comes down to Coutinho then he is probably following orders when he try his luck from 30 yards or so. The players need to do it so the defense will try to block the ball and the space open up behind him. If Coutinho didn't try his luck then the their whole defense would be packed in the box.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
As already mentioned. We need many players with very good/excellent leadership in the squad, not only one or a couple. IMO the manager should really never buy a player that isn't a good leader because then you know that he will week in week out work his socks off, he will put the team first even if he want to leave some day.

When it comes down to Coutinho then he is probably following orders when he try his luck from 30 yards or so. The players need to do it so the defense will try to block the ball and the space open up behind him. If Coutinho didn't try his luck then the their whole defense would be packed in the box.
No Mane or Salah then.:eh?:

K

Klopptinho

some of the greatest leaders are just great organisers.. they organise everyone else to do their jobs for them. lazy git = leader of a country :shocked:lol