• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Do we need a new Captain?

Should Jordan Henderson be captain of Liverpool for the 2018-19 season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Icebreaker

I doubt that Klopp would strip Henderson openly of captaincy. What I believe will happen is that better players will be brought in which will gradualy phase out Jordan out of starting 11. We know that Keita will be arriving in the summer, and I could easily see Goretzka or someone in that mould forming a partnership with Naby in 4-2-3-1.

Sadly for Jordan, he isn't best fit in Klopp's midfield roles. He had his best season under Rodgers when playing as a classic box-to-box midfielder in support role. Gerrard was the lynchpin as a deep playing DM, and there were other players taking the limelight and burden of creating.

He is a great guy and a player with lots of qualities, but he isn't really suited to be a captain of this team. But in his defence, I don't see who else could be a better choice right now. Maybe Lallana.

KCollins

Banned Users
I doubt that Klopp would strip Henderson openly of captaincy. What I believe will happen is that better players will be brought in which will gradualy phase out Jordan out of starting 11. We know that Keita will be arriving in the summer, and I could easily see Goretzka or someone in that mould forming a partnership with Naby in 4-2-3-1.

Sadly for Jordan, he isn't best fit in Klopp's midfield roles. He had his best season under Rodgers when playing as a classic box-to-box midfielder in support role. Gerrard was the lynchpin as a deep playing DM, and there were other players taking the limelight and burden of creating.

He is a great guy and a player with lots of qualities, but he isn't really suited to be a captain of this team. But in his defence, I don't see who else could be a better choice right now. Maybe Lallana.
Agree completely. Keita is also a box to box player, but unlike Jordan he's a world class one.

Being surrounded by the Fab Four only highlights the gulf in class between Jordan and the others. His passing is forced, every pass is carefully teed up, the others do it effortlessly. While De Bruyne, another player who makes it look effortless, passes into space, Jordan often passes where his teammate is, not where he is going. He made a great run into the box yesterday but his cut back made it difficult for Firmino to finish as the ball was under his foot and not infront of him (Sturridge done something similar against Spartak when Bobby somehow managed to cut it in). He's a very good player, but not a great one. With the quality acquisitions we are making i too see him being phased out.

James H

"One word: Thundercougarfalconbird"
Ad-free Member
Agree completely. Keita is also a box to box player, but unlike Jordan he's a world class one.

Being surrounded by the Fab Four only highlights the gulf in class between Jordan and the others. His passing is forced, every pass is carefully teed up, the others do it effortlessly. While De Bruyne, another player who makes it look effortless, passes into space, Jordan often passes where his teammate is, not where he is going. He made a great run into the box yesterday but his cut back made it difficult for Firmino to finish as the ball was under his foot and not infront of him (Sturridge done something similar against Spartak when Bobby somehow managed to cut it in). He's a very good player, but not a great one. With the quality acquisitions we are making i too see him being phased out.
I'm not taking the piss here but seriously go back and look at that chance again and tell me how he gets that ball any more in front of firmino? If he plays it further forward the defender blocks it, in front of the defender the goalkeeper gets it, it was the only space he had to play that ball, if anything Firmino needed to time his run like a millisecond slower but that would be insanely nit-picky. Also it was mane managed to score from sturridge not Bobby.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
More than a new captain, we need a new DM.
I'd give the armband to VVD considering we won't have Can, Coutinho and Henderson and Milner will/should be on the bench next season.

We will be lacking a new leader next season if everything works out (i.e. Henderson and Milner as reserves).

Noo Noo

I seem to remember that Henderson had more than his fair share of assists that season I think. It kind of highlights that being box to box is his best position I guess.

I dare not speculate what will happen in future transfer windows. I'm shocking at making any level of a prediction.

William Clarke

REDSHIRT ~ I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I would say once VVD has settled into the club many would be putting his name forward for the captaincy, but we have to remember that Jurgen is very protective of the players that follow his teachings and, so, would not strip Hendo of his captaincy of the club. Maybe later and if Hendo isn't played that often things could change, but in my opinion it won't be for a while yet.

YeGra

Here's how I see Henderson...he's like one of those ex girlfriends:

You can't really fault the person in some ways; they're actually lovely and put a lot of effort in. But it just isn't working out. Something isn't right about it all and you have to break up.

By that I mean: Henderson puts in a shift. He's loyal and hardworking. But for me he just doesn't fit the bill. At least not enough to be a starter. And not enough to be captain. Squad player? Fine. But not more than that if I'm honest.

Flobs

FADA
Henderson is just fine as captain. No one else has put their hand up.
I blame it on our recrutement and I just don't see that changing so we are just going to have to live with Jordan. lol

RedForever2014

The reason Henderson is no captain is that he doesn't galvanise things when we're up against it, when the chips are down.

There have been many occasions when we needed someone to step up and sort things out, and Hendo has been inconspicuous.

The league cup semi last season, City away when we were falling apart.

VVD is the long term answer.

KCollins

Banned Users
The reason Henderson is no captain is that he doesn't galvanise things when we're up against it, when the chips are down.
He's not a leader, either by example or someone that shouts and directs. Gerrard was the first, Carra the latter.

Hendo has always been dispensable. He went off early against Arsenal, and of the front six that started that game if I had to pick one to lose it would have been him. Can't fault his work rate, commitment etc. but he is neither good enough offensively or defensively ('jack of all, master of none') for a team that aspires to be among the best. Our midfield was always sluggish/predictable when it was just him, Can/Lucas and Wijnaldum. Keita is a vast improvement. Tempo will be quicker, passing more incisive and less deliberate. Ross Barkley is much more talented than Hendo.

Missredjac

A lot of discussions about our lack of leadership in many threads. Do we need a new Captain in that case, who?

Henderson is IMO not a good enough Captain. He don't lead by example. He don't show up when we need him most.

I would say that Firmino is our best leader. He lead by example. He work his socks off every minute he play. He try to fire up his team mates. I think that he would be a fantastic Captain if get the armband.

I think that he would play even better if that happened.

So to answer my own question. Yes, we need a new Captain and we need it as soon as possible.

We could of course also sign someone like Mascherano and make him Captain. That is another option.
I like Hendo as captain.

LFC4EVR

Alright I know how Trump got in now. I saw the title of the thread "do we need a new captain" saw the poll said yes. Then saw it was "should Hendo be captain" - can I have a revote please!! :)

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
Also, It's not cricket where the captain has more precedence.

We need leaders for different departments in football though.

Virgil would be a leader for defense and set pieces - Ideally the Keeper has to take the leadership for set pieces but with the guys we have onboard , that's doubtful.

And we need players with responsibility who lift the standards of the players around them, That's where the role of a captain ideally lies in football. Someone like a Lallana would be apt there because of his attitude to the game and him always ready for a scrap. Milly would be good too.

Limiescouse

I would say once VVD has settled into the club many would be putting his name forward for the captaincy, but we have to remember that Jurgen is very protective of the players that follow his teachings and, so, would not strip Hendo of his captaincy of the club. Maybe later and if Hendo isn't played that often things could change, but in my opinion it won't be for a while yet.
If VVD is such a natural candidate for the job then he doesnt need the arm band officially to have that effect.

Regarding Hendo, it is one thing to want us to reconsider the captaincy issue because you want to see the player moved on thus creating the vacancy. It is another to do it on the basis of judging his leadership, as this is simply not something you can judge from the outside. I have played on teams in which the captain was fawned over by outsiders like the press, yet we as team mates knew he added nothing beyond simply being a good player. But he was a player who solely looked out for himself. Then I have played on sides that have players who have done incredible things in terms of keeping the group on their toes and all moving in the same direction and no one on the outside who was not with us on a daily basis would have been able to determine that.

William Clarke

If VVD is such a natural candidate for the job then he doesnt need the arm band officially to have that effect.

Regarding Hendo, it is one thing to want us to reconsider the captaincy issue because you want to see the player moved on thus creating the vacancy. It is another to do it on the basis of judging his leadership, as this is simply not something you can judge from the outside. I have played on teams in which the captain was fawned over by outsiders like the press, yet we as team mates knew he added nothing beyond simply being a good player. But he was a player who solely looked out for himself. Then I have played on sides that have players who have done incredible things in terms of keeping the group on their toes and all moving in the same direction and no one on the outside who was not with us on a daily basis would have been able to determine that.
It's true what you say, we are not able to say Hendo is not a good captain because we are not playing in the side or even at the club to see what happens behind the scenes. I have always liked Hendo, but favouritism should not hold sway with such an important role as the captaincy. If it's proved VVD is better suited for the role, then however much we may like Hendo the leadership should be given over to the Dutchman. Whoever is most suitable for the captaincy should be given it.

Limiescouse

It's true what you say, we are not able to say Hendo is not a good captain because we are not playing in the side or even at the club to see what happens behind the scenes. I have always liked Hendo, but favouritism should not hold sway with such an important role as the captaincy. If it's proved VVD is better suited for the role, then however much we may like Hendo the leadership should be given over to the Dutchman. Whoever is most suitable for the captaincy should be given it.
And that is probably the most uncontroversial thing ever said on this forum. Of course if there is someone better for the role then he should have it. I am 100% confident that Klopp has that under control.

William Clarke

And that is probably the most uncontroversial thing ever said on this forum. Of course if there is someone better for the role then he should have it. I am 100% confident that Klopp has that under control.
I couldn't agree with you more. Klopp has complete faith in Hendo as a captain, and it could also be true that VVD would not want the captaincy. We will have to wait and see what transpires.

Noo Noo

Even if VvD was happy to be captain I wouldn't give it to him until next season at the earliest.

He's played 1 game, very well but its still 1 game. He still has a lot of relationship building to do.

William Clarke

When talking of who should have the captaincy next season (2018/19), it would also be an idea to give thought to the vice-captaincy. Hendo has not featured in quite a few games this season and at odd occasions Milner has been missing - Coutinho filling in when those two were either not in the starting line up or unavailable through injury. Therefore, I would say the question should include - and who would your vice-captain be for next season?

Pharaoh

Klopps and Robbers anyone?
Even if VvD was happy to be captain I wouldn't give it to him until next season at the earliest.

He's played 1 game, very well but its still 1 game. He still has a lot of relationship building to do.

Agreed,

Leave it with hendo for the remainder of this year,

Then hand it to the ‘Dutch Hair’ next year!

Tally ho!

seino

November Champion
I think Henderson has had his time with the armband and hasn't impressed, at least on the pitch. Our performances without him are usually faster, more fluid and more aggressive. Someone above said most likely he's be phased out on the starting 11 and eventually hand it over to one of the new boys. After seeing VVD command the back like, wake Karius up and charge box-to-box for 90 minutes, he'd seem a safe bet once he's had a season to settle in.