Do we need a new Captain?

Should Jordan Henderson be captain of Liverpool for the 2018-19 season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
You can't fault Henderson's commitment, he's not really captain material and plenty of people admit that, but there was a massive leadership void in the side when Stevie left and it hasn't returned since. It's natural that we plumped for the homegrown, longest-serving player in the squad.

Henderson's heart is in the right place, but on a personal level, his longevity as pretty much a guaranteed starter in the squad for the last 6-7 years has been more concerning, given his Liverpool career has been pretty unremarkable. 267 appearances and club captain.

A captain should be integral to the squad. The whole team would change and there would be a noticeable void without Gerrard, Carra, Hyypia etc. The fact we haven't missed Henderson in the slightest since his injury, to be painfully honest, doesn't bode too well for him. Does he get in to a fully fit strongest Liverpool XI? Not for me. He's surely not benching Ox on current form upon his return.

Saying that, the role of the captain seems to be less focal/significant these days. Rooney, Terry, Arteta etc. became squad players. Having actual leaders and communicators on the pitch matters more to me than whether or not they're wearing the armband (for now) and Van Dijk is a step in the right direction. Maybe Klopp sees Henderson as still the man to wear the armband, but to feature less prominently than he has so far in his Liverpool career. With Keita and possible another attacking midfielder to join (and Lallana and Wijnaldum still there or there abouts) I struggle to see where a guaranteed start comes from for him. Klopp seems a fan though and he's loyal to his flock for better or worse, so we'll see.

I think Henderson is a good captain and would be an excellent captain with a character like VVD as vice captain!

We shouldn't be crazy to change captain mid season. Till now Hendo is ok as a captain. But nowadays neither is he able to stay fit thru the season nor is the first name on the team sheet when he is fit. Going forward i see Mane, Salah, Bobby, VVD, Robbo and ox (in midfield) as first names on the sheet, if they are available and not tired/fatigue. So I think VVD and Ox should be considered for cap/vc for next season. I would say Ox as captain and VVD as vice.

KCollins

Banned Users
I think Henderson is a good captain and would be an excellent captain with a character like VVD as vice captain!
You have to be a good enough player first to make the team before captaincy comes into the equation, and Jordan, as harsh as it may be, isn't top notch. We are slowly but surely assembling a class XI, and as a consequence lesser players will be phased out. Jordan is a #8, Keita's position. The other two slots are the #10 (which we now need to fill) and the #6 (which we don't have). Ox and Lallana can come in and do the #8 or #10 role. Jordan is neither good enough defensively to play #6 (gets bypassed/caught out of position too easily, not defensively minded and doesn't sniff out danger), or good enough offensively to play #8 or #10.

Mada

TIA 2nd Team
I am of two minds about Hendo as captain. On one hand his role on the pitch has been reduced as a result of his injuries. At other times he has been ineffective on the pitch (perhaps due to injury) and I have wanted to see him replaced. So if I focus only on those features I would say we need to have a new captain.

However, I understand he has a lot of influence off the pitch with the players. That cannot be underestimated. As we have brought in new players in the past few windows (and already this window) their ability to bed in so quickly may have to do, in some small way, to Hendo's influence behind the scenes. So if these attributes are as strong and needed as they seem to be, then he very well may continue.

These next few months will be telling for Hendo: If he can contribute on the pitch on a regular basis we might see him with the armband next season. However, if he continues to struggle to see the pitch, whether through injury or form, then we might see a new captain with VVD, Ox, Can all being potential candidates.

Limiescouse

Time to thank Henderson and see him off in the summer, it's clear that we're more mobile and attack minded when he's not in the team. I didn't see as many sideways balls in yesterdays game, wonder why??
Because we had only 30% possession and so almost never had the ball when the opposition had numbers behind the ball?

zman89

We need more leaders as I don't think we have close to enough of them in the team. The addition of VVD surely helps in this regard. Is Henderson a leader? No. Should we remove him of the captaincy half way through the season? Surely not.

seino

November Champion
Think it's fair to say Henderson has had his chance and he's not captain material, at least not for this club. I can barely count a handful of moments where he's grabbed the game by the scruff and dragged the team to victory, nor too many moments of magic like that Chelsea goal.

The captain of a team like Liverpool - and especially Klopp's Liverpool - needs to be a calming yet energising presence who leads by example and sets the pace and tone for the whole team. For me he's never really done that. I don't even think he's good enough to warrant a guaranteed starting position, given that we play significantly better with the likes of Can and Gini holding the fort and Keita is on his way soon.

I'd like to see VVD take the armband - how he commanded all those around him for his derby debut says it all - but seems unlikely so early in his Liverpool career.

And I can't believe I'm typing this but The Ox is showing real leadership qualities and it was his tenacity that set the ball rolling for a memorable victory over the Champions-elect last night.

Thanks for your service Hendo, but when people are sighing with relief that you're not on the team sheet it's time to go. Hopefully he'll be shipped out at the end of the season to play regular football somewhere far, far away.

seino

November Champion
Because he is no longer a starting 11 player I would give the arm band to Firminho or Robertson.
I've never been a fan of striker captains. Think the best captains lead from the centre of the park or centre back. Honestly I think Firmino has enough on his plate and I wouldn't do anything that would distract him from destroying opposition defenses.

Serdar Ekrem İleri

Gerrard Generation
I've never been a fan of striker captains. Think the best captains lead from the centre of the park or centre back. Honestly I think Firmino has enough on his plate and I wouldn't do anything that would distract him from destroying opposition defenses.
So, what about Robertson ?

seino

November Champion
So, what about Robertson ?
Again, I would say if you're leading from the back, it needs to be the centre. Also, I've not yet got a sense that Robertson would command that kind of respect and control over the game, and remains to be seen if he's even Klopp's first choice once Moreno is match fit. Captains have to be first name on the sheet. Robertson is looking like a great signing, I like him, but I think he just needs to concentrate on his own game for now. If we're talking defenders for the armband it's VVD all day long. He's a born captain.

KCollins

Banned Users
Think it's fair to say Henderson has had his chance and he's not captain material, at least not for this club. I can barely count a handful of moments where he's grabbed the game by the scruff and dragged the team to victory, nor too many moments of magic like that Chelsea goal.

The captain of a team like Liverpool - and especially Klopp's Liverpool - needs to be a calming yet energising presence who leads by example and sets the pace and tone for the whole team. For me he's never really done that. I don't even think he's good enough to warrant a guaranteed starting position, given that we play significantly better with the likes of Can and Gini holding the fort and Keita is on his way soon.
He's been solid, but very rarely could you say "Henderson was the difference". Or "what a leader". He's a 7 out of 10 performer. Keita is a 9. Having Hendo lead the team out also doesn't instill any fear in the opposition.

That goal against Chelsea was goal of the season for me. Can's was spectacular, but one of those instinctive kicks that came off. Jordan's was pure precision. Met the ball on the rise, and curled it up and over the outstretched arm of Courtois into the top right corner.

I'd like to see VVD take the armband - how he commanded all those around him for his derby debut says it all - but seems unlikely so early in his Liverpool career.
Van Dijk has a presence about him. Ron Yeats-esque.
And I can't believe I'm typing this but The Ox is showing real leadership qualities and it was his tenacity that set the ball rolling for a memorable victory over the Champions-elect last night.
Comes across as very mature. Really good communicator.
Thanks for your service Hendo, but when people are sighing with relief that you're not on the team sheet it's time to go. Hopefully he'll be shipped out at the end of the season to play regular football somewhere far, far away.
Ouch.

seino

November Champion
That goal against Chelsea was goal of the season for me. Can's was spectacular, but one of those instinctive kicks that came off. Jordan's was pure precision. Met the ball on the rise, and curled it up and over the outstretched arm of Courtois into the top right corner.
Yeah, it was a beaut. I especially loved his reaction. Pointing to the sky to say "got one" then realises how brilliant and significant a goal it was and loses his mind. "F***in' come on!!" I do like Hendo, and he works hard, he just isn't quite the standard for this new Liverpool. 7/10 as you said.

Yeah, felt a bit bad writing that and nearly didn't hit send. But the sighs are real. The sighs are real...

Van Dijk has a presence about him. Ron Yeats-esque.
He really does. You can immediately see the potential and impact he can have at the back. Took charge straight away and looked like he was born in a red shirt. Great signing. My first choice for captain, hands down.

Comes across as very mature. Really good communicator.
Yeah, that actually surprised me a lot. I expected him to improve on the field under Klopp, but I never saw anything when he was at Arsenal that suggested he would be captain material. Clearly auditioning for the job. He was on social media after the City game saying "really proud of the boys", he was standing in front of Coutinho when he was getting pressed about Barca, all of that. When you put that maturity next to a - dare I say it - Gerrard-eque charge at the box and a belter into the bottom corner, it definitely gets noticed.

Chung

TIA Moderator
Glad others have seen it too with the Ox, might be a bit early for him for armband though, but deffo a good addition to the squad and possibly one of many leaders we'll have on the pitch soon.
With the way he defended Coutinho during the interview, maybe he'll be the go to man off the pitch

seino

November Champion
Yeah, agreed it's a bit early for him to wear the armband. One for the future perhaps. He seems to have the ear of a lot of the players already, and he's playing with confidence. Good to see from a new lad.

johnny_mne

Majority seem to think that VVD and OX are the best options for the captain. I agree that they have leadership qualities, but was never a fan of new players becoming captains. Guess that shows how much this team is lacking leaders.

I don't have a problem with Hendo as captain to be honest. Of course he is no Gerrard, but no one was going to fill his shoes. But it is questionable how much playing time he is going to get in the future.

I would love nothing more, than to see a local lad like TAA become captain, the same way Gerrard did. But, I'm afraid it would be too much for him. It's best for him to keep developing as a player without pressure, and if he fulfills his potential, then why not...

One more candidate for me would be Can, if he stays of course. He needs to work a bit on his consistency, but on his good days, he looks like a true leader. Perhaps the armband is exactly that he needs in order to ensure him to stay, and keep him more consistent.

But in the end... I truly trust that Klopp knows best. He is with those players every day, he can see who has those qualities and who the players respect.

KCollins

Banned Users
Get out of here!
Keita hasn't even played for us yet and you already have him as a 9/10 performer.
NUTS!
There are certain players who stand out a mile and you just know will excel anywhere. He does things on the ball, his touch, his vision, the quick turns to get out of trouble, his sudden bursts forward, that the opposition is irrelevant (and the Bundesliga ain't exactly a pub league). He's different gravy. There is a very good reason the club forked out 48 million plus a premium just to ensure we get him a year in advance of him actually kicking a ball for us.

Haven't been this excited about a player signing for us since Xabi Alonso when he left Sociedad (still can't believe Real (who had been linked with him all year) didn't go after him when we did). Watching Alonso ping 40/50 yard passes to Karpin, Nihat and co. it was as clear as day we were buying class, likewise with Keita.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Mignolet or Grujic?

But seriously, I do think VVD is destined for it and has got that "vibe" - bit like R Kelly.

There are certain players who stand out a mile and you just know will excel anywhere. He does things on the ball, his touch, his vision, the quick turns to get out of trouble, his sudden bursts forward, that the opposition is irrelevant (and the Bundesliga ain't exactly a pub league). He's different gravy. There is a very good reason the club forked out 48 million plus a premium just to ensure we get him a year in advance of him actually kicking a ball for us.

Haven't been this excited about a player signing for us since Xabi Alonso when he left Sociedad (still can't believe Real (who had been linked with him all year) didn't go after him when we did). Watching Alonso ping 40/50 yard passes to Karpin, Nihat and co. it was as clear as day we were buying class, likewise with Keita.
I just don't know anything about him aside a few youtube clips. Noway am I going to make a definitive assessment from them. I reckon that it would be so much better if we just wait patiently. He's still young and to know how he turns out is still hard to say.
I remember when everyone raved about Messi and every time I saw him he just systematically missed the goal (I thought what's the fuss about?). Every year that passed it was the same rubbish end product yet I did notice his shots getting closer to the posts, eventually he started hitting his shots inside the posts and then yes you could say he had become world class worthy of a 9/10.
To be worth a 9/10 you really need end product not just skills and technical ability. I can not understand how anyone can say Kieta will give us that without him even been in the changing room before a match.

NYRhockey

Given Klopp uses google to determine the captain whenever Hendo / Milner are not available i don't think who the captain is going forward is that big of a deal.