Dominic Solanke (ST) to Huddersfield, Palace or Brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave-D

If I was him I’d be very interested in the permanent to Brighton. He’d learn a lot from Murray and I expect Brighton to stay out of any relegation battle.
If Klopp still sees his long term future at Liverpool I’d want him to go to Huddersfield as they play a style of football closer to Liverpool and they ain’t managed by Roy.
Roy also came out in his last pre match interview saying with having such a good midfield he doesn’t have a problem not playing a striker.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Would be surprised if we let him left permanently. If he does then maybe he rates Brewster more highly? Maybe there are plans in bringing in a more experienced striker? Whatever happens, we can relax, Jurgen knows what he's doing.

C

Caradoc

Would be surprised if we let him left permanently. If he does then maybe he rates Brewster more highly? Maybe there are plans in bringing in a more experienced striker? Whatever happens, we can relax, Jurgen knows what he's doing.

I agree SBS. A loan for the remainder of the season makes a lot more sense. Unless of course the lad himself wants something more permanent.

Nikola

Potless or spotless?
Admin
I'd actually like to see him get regular playing time at Crystal Palace. They create more than Huddersfield, while I don't think he'd displace Glenn Murray who's having a stellar season at Brighton. Same goes for Mitrović at Fulham.

Palace aren't always a boring, functional side that Hodgson is known for, they mix it in their attacks, sometimes going long, sometimes passing into space for Zaha (I find Meyer's attempts to force his side to play on the deck a bit comical at times, though). Maybe they would play it long more often if Benteke was fit, though, but I'm not really expecting them to turn exclusively to route one football if they sign Solanke.

Regular playing time is essential for him at this stage, of course, and I would like to see him learning to play with quick players such as Zaha and Townsend because this is similar to Liverpool in that pace aspect. Klopp wants his forward to be aware of their teammates, to be able to pick up on their runs, to release the ball in time. A loan move to a team brimming with pace would tell us a lot about Solanke's prospects, provided he gets to play regularly. After all, he's probably aware that Origi, Sturridge and even Lallana are leaving soon, so there's an opening for him, even if Brewster is getting promoted.

That said, I'd very much like to know how Klopp would incorporate a forward of his qualities into first team - he's not slow but not the quickest off the mark, he's tall but not a classic target man, he's not a playmaker but his touch isn't bad at all and he has shown some unpredictability in his game. I hope Liverpool persist with him and I hope he's patient and hard-working enough to earn a chance to show what he can do at Liverpool.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
A loan makes a better deal. Both for him and for us.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
I agree SBS. A loan for the remainder of the season makes a lot more sense. Unless of course the lad himself wants something more permanent.

Yep, a loan for this season and possibly next looks like the way ahead. I really like and rate him but he needs to be playing now, but Origi seems to be next in line and Brewster's been promised game time hasn't he? I hope he goes on loan, develops his game and comes back as a solid back up option to give Bobby a break. Maybe the season after next?

Last edited:

Red Ted

Just be done with it and take the cash, he's nowhere near good enough for us, even when we were shit he wouldn't have been good enough.

big noyd

Would be surprised if we let him left permanently. If he does then maybe he rates Brewster more highly?
think this is a safe assumption. solanke was a low-cost, low-risk punt who didn't really take his chances; brewster is one of the jewels of our youth setup to whom, before the injury, we promised first-team game time to keep from going to BMG

Red Spud

Had high hopes for him at the start of the season as I think he has the potential to become a top player.

However he hasn't had a sniff this season so hopefully a successful loan will give him a chance to kick on next season.

Red Ted

think this is a safe assumption. solanke was a low-cost, low-risk punt who didn't really take his chances; brewster is one of the jewels of our youth setup to whom, before the injury, we promised first-team game time to keep from going to BMG
This is it, Brewster is going to be involved with the first team next season & along with a signing of a quality player that can play in the front 2/3 positions we'll be alright.

Some of Brewsters finishing in the youth World Cup was quality, what an opportunity it's going to be for him.

Rambler

"First is first, second is nowhere". Bill Shankly.
Had high hopes for him at the start of the season as I think he has the potential to become a top player.

However he hasn't had a sniff this season so hopefully a successful loan will give him a chance to kick on next season.
I have seen nothing to suggest he has the potential to be a top player....I think these youngsters have to grab the few chances they get to impress and he hasn't.....

big noyd

solanke wasn't awful, he just didn't show the requisite poise in front of goal for a traditional #9, and we're now one of the top sides in europe

brewster's shown much more pace/athleticism/take-on ability & can play on the left--should be more of a seamless fit into how we typically play

MW2833

Personally thought it was just a case of scoring his first goal for the club, which he did against Brighton in the last game of the PL last season (which is I remember right was a fantastic finish off the crossbar), but he hasn't had any chances following that, so maybe klopp doesn't rate him highly enough. Also as others have said Brewster is better and has higher potential. I am a bit ashamed as I thought we picked up a fantastic young player and last seasons pre season and the U21 WC proved that he has the ability to prosper, but just not at a title challenging level. At this point in time, I would look to send him out on loan to Huddersfield.

Limiescouse

Personally thought it was just a case of scoring his first goal for the club, which he did against Brighton in the last game of the PL last season (which is I remember right was a fantastic finish off the crossbar), but he hasn't had any chances following that, so maybe klopp doesn't rate him highly enough.
That was my perspective as well. I thought his overall contributions were positive, albeit a noticable step down from whomever he was replacing, but it was made to look worse by the lack of goals. In that sense he was unlucky with a couple that were really close early on and one that would have been a winner harshly (although maybe correctly) ruled out.

I know success at youth level doesnt count for much once you step up, but it is worth remembering that there are few players who have been successful at Youth international level, both in terms of team success and personal accolades, as Dom has been. That is a pedigree that is worth persevering with, especially when you think that forwards without raw pace tend to take a little bit longer to mature in the senior level.

Red Spud

Worth remembering he has only just turned 21 which is still very early in his development and for sure his record at youth level was outstanding. Also he got in quite a few good scoring positions last season before he finally broke his duck so that's why I was hopeful he would push on this season.

I do think he needs to go on a Harry Wilson like run of form wherever he ends up on loan if he is going to make it at us but not ready to write him off yet. Still think he could end up developing into a great player but this loan move is massive for him so really hope it goes well.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Just be done with it and take the cash, he's nowhere near good enough for us, even when we were shit he wouldn't have been good enough.
Completely agree. At his age he should have shown his ability in the chances that he's been given and so far he just hasn't. I know there are examples of strikers turning good after they're 21, Kane and Ian Rush come to mind. But if Klopp is using Origi in preference to Solanke then it's clear he doesn't have a future at Anfield.

StevenAlonso

A 1-2 year loan deal with a Premier League club will do good to both him and the club. If he does great he will get into the team, if he does good other clubs will want to buy him for a inflated fee. I see him atleast doing good at a midtable club if chances are given.

Last edited:

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Looks like he's off to Palace. That magnificent beast that used to rip it up for us aka Benteke will make a brilliant mentor.:J

T.C.B

As long as he doesn't take Totem pole lessons from Benteke he'll be fine.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
My worry is Palace cash in on Zaha (big offer from China) and tonnes of pressure gets heaped onto Dom’s shoulders.

Add to that the Owl and his archaic methods I doubt he will learn much bar match experience!

Although we can use it for first refusal on Wan-Bissaka who is quite the player.

soberphobia

Don't know if the Palace move is a done deal or not but I would like to see him go to Huddersfield. They try to play football but can't score to save themselves so he would likely get a good run there. They are bottom with a losing run of form as long as your arm. A striker coming in for 6 months is a good deal for them, us and just as importantly the player.

wibseyred

Don't know if the Palace move is a done deal or not but I would like to see him go to Huddersfield. They try to play football but can't score to save themselves so he would likely get a good run there. They are bottom with a losing run of form as long as your arm. A striker coming in for 6 months is a good deal for them, us and just as importantly the player.
I watch Huddersfield a lot and I'm not sure where this idea they play good football c9mes from. They pass it around with no purpose they are incredibly negative they play to win by the odd goal defend well then try knick one.

Sweeting

Hopefully Solanke will tear it up at Palace. He is at the point where he is playing for a new contract either here or at another club - 8 goals or so could make him a £20m player.

Status
Not open for further replies.