Dominic Solanke (ST) to Huddersfield, Palace or Brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rambler

"First is first, second is nowhere". Bill Shankly.
I watch Huddersfield a lot and I'm not sure where this idea they play good football comes from. They pass it around with no purpose they are incredibly negative they play to win by the odd goal defend well then try knick one.
Probably because he is JK's mate, people assume he adopts the same style...........but I guess he has to cut his cloth. The lad will be better off at Crystal Palace. I like that club....seem to have a passionate support and less pressure on him I would imagine. Barring a miracle Huddersfield appear to be already doomed.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
In either case... I'm quite confident that Solanke will turn out to be a great striker in the future.

He doesn't have any particular crazy skill but is actually well-rounded so there was always the possibility that he would take time to adjust to the PL as he works things out.

The more important thing is that he continues to work hard. He was sooo, sooo close, so many times last year. If he improves and those close calls become goals... we will have a world-class player.

His runs and positioning are actually quite good... which made it more frustrating when he flubbed a chance.

A loan will do Solanke a lot of good. At Liverpool, many people are ready to move on after mixed results from his first 600 minutes of PL football EVER. That's a bit harsh, no?

GermanRed

According to Sport Bild in Germany he is also a target for Schalke.

Think a decision won't be made before the Wolves FA Cup game. If we progress and get drawn against a non PL side in the Fourth Round (takes place around january 26th) we could even keep him until the end of the month.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
I watch Huddersfield a lot and I'm not sure where this idea they play good football c9mes from. They pass it around with no purpose they are incredibly negative they play to win by the odd goal defend well then try knick one.
Agreed, any time I've seen them they just lump it up to that big French lad who runs slower than my nan.

Palace play much better football, the only question mark is if Solanke gets in ahead of Benteke when he's back. If he gets games that's a good move for him.

MW2833

According to Sport Bild in Germany he is also a target for Schalke.

Think a decision won't be made before the Wolves FA Cup game. If we progress and get drawn against a non PL side in the Fourth Round (takes place around january 26th) we could even keep him until the end of the month.
https://www.teamtalk.com/news/klopp-connection-key-as-liverpool-striker-to-snub-palace-for-bundesliga-move

Wouldn't mind him going to the bundesliga.
It's turned out brilliantly for Sancho and Nelson.

Rambler

"First is first, second is nowhere". Bill Shankly.
Shouts like Roy has thrown a hissy fit to me.
Solanke loan off
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46741881
They are desperate for a fit striker and Solanke isn't. No point in signing an injured player. Think we have been down that road...

No doubt Roy wanted him to hit the floor running but sounds like he would hit the floor limping...

Last edited:

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Wasn't a great fan of the Palace idea. Just a bit too many forwards there and their situation is still not safe enough. Only takes a few bad results for them to totally abort any idea of playing a proper striker (especially a young one on loan basically without any rhythm this season) in the place of a midfielder to pull probably Townsend a bit deeper. That was the only positive, maybe playing as a false #9 between Townsend and Zaha, work in the opposite direction and link their attack. Schalke are struggling in the league this season, but they're often playing 3 at the back with 2 up top as far as I know. Maybe a better place for him to play more often and be involved in better football.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Sounds like he will be heading to Brighton then (Neil Jones) - and potentially on a permanent for £12M. Shame really, as I was hoping he would do a Harry Kane. Still think a loan would be better right now till Summer to see how he gets on with regular game time.

We have too many strikers on the periphery and not one that is really up to the level required. Permanent deals out need to happen with one or two of Origi, Sturridge, and Solanke.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out - if we do offload more than one of the three listed above, are we shopping for a replacement, or are we looking to rely on Brewster? Our recent change of formation (with Mo up top, and Bobby in No.10), we have two first team strikers, but after them it's Shaqiri, then the likes of Sturridge and Origi.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
So that leaves us with Sturridge and Origi
We need another forward

Last edited:

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
With Brewster Promised game time,before he signed his new contract,i can't see us buying an out and out Striker for the time being,unless we have a top class one scouted with a deal to good to turn down.

I think Solanke will go out on loan and Origi and Sturridge will be sold (i think Sturridge will be gone for free in the summer unless he signs a new contract).

We don't play with a real Striker anymore,my guess is we'll get another AM/FW/RLC false 9 type of player who can rotate and play multiple positions.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
I'd be disappointed if Solanke left on a permanent deal in January, I'd like him to have a year or two on loan first - if possible, of course, you never know whether he'd sign a new contract with Liverpool. There's something about him that I can't quite put my finger on, I think he has all the tools to become a pretty good all-rounder, it's only a matter of time and patience and finding the right club(s) to loan him to. He has an interesting mix of height, pace, jump, acceleration, technique, work rate... I don't think he'll become another Harry Kane, of course, but I think he can be a pretty solid option for Liverpool in the future, perhaps a rich man's Crouch, so to speak. I hope Liverpool don't let go of him but I guess they will have a good reason if they decide to sell him.

KYRed18

I believe we end up without Origi and Solanke. Sturridge won't get paid anywhere else like he does here so he signs a contract. Brewster gets a chance and we bring in another attacker in the summer.

Walshy07

In Klopp we trust
Apprently Bournemouth are now interested in signing him perm. They cant sign him on loan as they have Clyne and you cant have 2 players from 1 club on loan.
I always thought this signing would fail - bit of a Rodgers signing to me - like Ings

redfanman

TIA Regular
Interesting that Bournmouth are also interested in him now. If he does leave it does beg the question as to who we are planning to get this year as we are letting some of the outer squad go, possibly replaced by youngsters from the youth set up leaving us with quite a big wad of cash for any signings we are keen on.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Apprently Bournemouth are now interested in signing him perm. They cant sign him on loan as they have Clyne and you cant have 2 players from 1 club on loan.
I always thought this signing would fail - bit of a Rodgers signing to me - like Ings
Any idea how much we had to pay Chelsea for him in the end?

As much as i'd like to keep hold of him for another season or 2,if we aren't going to play with an out and out Striker,he's probably best sold off and use the money on stregthening other parts of the squad.

If we could double our money on selling him,along with Ings and Origi,thats a good deal and a few quid into the transfer kitty.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Can see what they're trying to do. They've been playing a lot with a second striker now, but tried different options between the lines. Think their plan would be to put Solanke in for King and pair Dom with Wilson up top.

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
£19mil is great business. Sad as I liked him and thought he’d do well here.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts. I like Dom too and think with proper investment (ie first team action either here on loan) he could become very good indeed. But given his current level that sort of fee would be hard to turn down.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Great move for him that, he's a better footballer than King and he'll get plenty of service from the likes of Brooks and Fraser. Wilson is a really good player to learn from too.

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
This could mean exits for all of Solanke, Origi and Sturridge in the next two windows. Could mean looking for a new "striker in backup" to create a minimum of 3 with Bobby and Mo.

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
This could mean exits for all of; Solanke, Origi and Sturridge in the next two windows. Could mean looking for a new "striker in backup" to create a minimum of 3 with Bobby and Mo.
Finally see Brewster in first team? He's working back from injury, but lots of noise before he got hurt he'll get chances, maybe we're clearing the way.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
This could mean exits for all of Solanke, Origi and Sturridge in the next two windows. Could mean looking for a new "striker in backup" to create a minimum of 3 with Bobby and Mo.
And a perfect player been told to sign a contract or get sold this window!!

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
Finally see Brewster in first team? He's working back from injury, but lots of noise before he got hurt he'll get chances, maybe we're clearing the way.
Possibly, but we first have to see how he reacts in senior football, if he can cut it. Hopefully Klopp already knows much better what he can do from training sessions. If he's also an option to play slightly off a side, par example from the left, which could be helpful both for him and for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.