• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Duncan Jenkins reveals all - LFC issue apology

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Either way, surely Chang has to swing for this?
If they were going to fire him this probably would have been the best time to do so, rather than having the issue brought up twice (once now and once again when he was let go) it probably would have been best to get them both done at once and be done with the issue altogether. He might get to stick around for awhile afterall.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I'm with mpoletti on this.

My stance previously was very much that Cummins story was incredibly unlikely. However, in the event that it is true (and it looks more likely that much of what he alleges is true) I still question the motivation for Cummins publishing it in the way he did. This could have been handled behind closed doors from the beginning and if not resolved a complaint made to the police. Instead, he chose to publish it to his 40,000 followers knowing it would be picked up by national media causing massive (and I mean HUGE) damage to the club he professes to support.

There is still no valid explanation as to why he didn't simply take it above Chang straight away in a complaint directly to the club rather than to his 'fan base'.

Unlike Cummins, I don't give a shit about his 40,000 followers...I (and he) should care more about the 40,000 that rock up to Anfield to support the team.
There has also never been an explanation as to why Sean refused to publicly aknowledge DJ was a fake an admit there was no mole at LFC only to then freely go ahead and do that 2 months later anyway.

Either way, surely Chang has to swing for this?
Then itll be a sad day for all of us as Chang has had a positive impact at the club.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Then itll be a sad day for all of us as Chang has had a positive impact at the club.
what a fascinating statement.

why?

not that i actually debate thats hes been unsuccessful, but what positive impact has he had?

probably deserves its own thread when you think about it....

my very uninvestigated opinion is that es just another attempt expand the brand without worrying about winning games of football.

at best a nesecary evil in this day and age.....

love to hear what 'positive impact' hes actually had on the club though.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Doesn't really change my views. It was pretty clear all along that Chang had made some errors in judgement. It is probably appropriate that the club apologize. Whether those errors merit dismissal or not remains unclear. But equally Jenkins/Cummins is hardly blameless in this ugly affair, and he probably still deserves dog poo in his mailbox.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
what a fascinating statement.

why?

not that i actually debate thats hes been unsuccessful, but what positive impact has he had?

probably deserves its own thread when you think about it....

my very uninvestigated opinion is that es just another attempt expand the brand without worrying about winning games of football.

at best a nesecary evil in this day and age.....

love to hear what 'positive impact' hes actually had on the club though.
You dont believe the club PR and interaction with the fans through fan groups hasnt dramatically improved since he came in? He is only PR so can only be judged on the performance of our PR which except for this issue has been first rate since he came in.

TassieRed

TIA Regular
For a PR man, that is some awesome PR he has just generated for the club!

Deary deary me.

Will he swing for it? Dunno. I would have thought if he was going to then it would have been announced with the apology.

Whatever. I hope all involved just get on with life to be honest.

redbj

Good point , pretty sure ayes assistant could organize a fan meet and greet though,

A couple of puff peices on Luis Suarez. A fan meet and a few tweets.,... Hardly worthy of a new position being created in the organization.

Maybe I'm trivializing his role a bit, but to say he's had a positive impact? I just think that could be debated.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
This is such a non-story yet people are trying to insist that we should fire a senior Liverpool employee over it. The man made mistakes, that much is obvious, but we make this more of a story by axing him over it. No one really cares about this other than us, for some reason. It'll blow over in a couple of days at the most.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Hm. I suspect people decided what they believed a long time ago on this matter, and each group can point to certain parts of Ayre's apology as proof of their stance.

I can only really repeat what I've said previously. Personally I think Chang has, at the very best, been guilty of a serious lack of judgement. And, at worst, appears to be someone I'm not too happy to have representing my club in an official capacity.

In all the condemnation of 'Jenkins' and accusations that he made everything up, it should be pointed out that Chang's response when questioned on this was that it was "nonsense", and Ayre's statement shows that was a lie. If the whole thing was nonsense, why apologise?

I don't think there's a lot of point debating it further, though. As I said, I think everyone made up their own mind what they believed a while ago, and are unlikely to change it now.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
A couple of puff peices on Luis Suarez. A fan meet and a few tweets.,... Hardly worthy of a new position being created in the organization.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't a new position that was created for him. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure we've had a PR department for years, as does every other big club and/or major organization in the world.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Good point , pretty sure ayes assistant could organize a fan meet and greet though,

Maybe I'm trivializing his role a bit, but to say he's had a positive impact? I just think that could be debated.
It wasnt a new position created though it was a replacement of the guy who was in charge when Rafa became hated and we were labelled as bad for treating poor Roy terribly and for all of Roys PR and for the club becoming 2nd most hated after United after the Suarez thing...so yeah I dont want Chang going anywhere!

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Ian Cotten was the man he replaced (sacked when half a dozen heads rolled mid-season last year)

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Hm. I suspect people decided what they believed a long time ago on this matter, and each group can point to certain parts of Ayre's apology as proof of their stance.

I can only really repeat what I've said previously. Personally I think Chang has, at the very best, been guilty of a serious lack of judgement. And, at worst, appears to be someone I'm not too happy to have representing my club in an official capacity.

In all the condemnation of 'Jenkins' and accusations that he made everything up, it should be pointed out that Chang's response when questioned on this was that it was "nonsense", and Ayre's statement shows that was a lie. If the whole thing was nonsense, why apologise?

I don't think there's a lot of point debating it further, though. As I said, I think everyone made up their own mind what they believed a while ago, and are unlikely to change it now.
Chang confirmed he met him he said the alledged threats and behaviour was made up nonesense.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Chang confirmed he met him he said the alledged threats and behaviour was made up nonesense.
And Ayre acknowledged the threats were at the very least perceived to have been made. What he said was at least construed as being threatening, the club has admitted that. So it wasn't nonsense.

redbj

New position-existing position ..... Whatever

The positive impact?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Haha you said it yourself people have their minds. For my part Ayre saying "if you percieve" instead of "due to the behaviour" to me means theyve apologised despite it not being PROVED Chang acted out of hand but theyve decided to put the matter to rest and apologise in case Seans feelings were unintentionally hurt. Reading Seans story I never jumped to the same conclusions he did in the story anyway and that was his version of events.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
I know its not confirmed in the Ayre press release, but the fact SI say

CCTV footage, emails, texts and phone records that every part of Cummins’ story that it is possible to verify using that evidence has been verified.
This is key. Jenkins claimed 20-30 calls in his blog which would be considered harassment in a court of law. Even if done out of total naivety and innocence, a court is unlikely to believe there wasn't an urgent matter that needed responding.

Even if Jenkins is a total prick, that piece of evidence is my bet why the club apologised as it cant be refuted or even really explained.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
New position-existing position ..... Whatever

The positive impact?
The positivity surrounding the club and Rodgers despite the ongoing Suarez situation and one of the worst starts to a league in years and Being: Liverpool only seen as a joke not used as something to show how awful the club is run like it could of been. Not sure you understand the role of PR so that may explain why you dont appreciate the changes over the last few months. Haha maybe Macedonian_Red can fill us in?

Dane

Adios!
Ad-free Member
This is such a non-story yet people are trying to insist that we should fire a senior Liverpool employee over it. The man made mistakes, that much is obvious, but we make this more of a story by axing him over it. No one really cares about this other than us, for some reason. It'll blow over in a couple of days at the most.
Totally agree, yes you're not seeing things, I agree.

Dont you just love "I told you so" threads?
You can almost hear the stampede of people running to their laptops to proclaim that someone on the internet was wrong.

Jenkins was, and is an attention seeking idiot.
The only news here is that it would appear that Chang is a different kind of idiot.

RedSeven

On the one road
The 2 big things which have happened since he has arrived which needed a decent spin from the pr dpt are the transfer fiasco,obviously handled badly, and this.Not a lot of a positive impact from what I can see

TFC

TIA Squad Member
I know its not confirmed in the Ayre press release, but the fact SI say

This is key. Jenkins claimed 20-30 calls in his blog which would be considered harassment in a court of law. Even if done out of total naivety and innocence, a court is unlikely to believe there wasn't an urgent matter that needed responding.

Even if Jenkins is a total prick, that piece of evidence is my bet why the club apologised as it cant be refuted or even really explained.
Your right about that.

I do think that since Chang did email him first to set up a time in which he was going to call Duncan, and the calls were something Duncan was expecting but purposely ignoring without informing Chang that he didn't want to speak to him, it might legally not be considered harassment. I'm not sure about the legality of it, but I do think you have to tell someone that you don't want them to call you before you can charge them for harassing you with phone calls.

Those alone are grounds for an apology though as you've pointed out.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Haha maybe Macedonian_Red can fill us in?
Out of nowhere you have to bait someone in your post. Not really necessary.

This is bad PR, whatever said and done. PR director should know better. Jenkins love the attention and Chang played it into his hands. Cost him his job? I doubt it, mainly because firing him would cost the club money. Probably slap him some gag order for a while.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
This is bad PR, whatever said and done. PR director should know better. Jenkins love the attention and Chang played it into his hands. Cost him his job? I doubt it, mainly because firing him would cost the club money. Probably slap him some gag order for a while.
I came across an interesting quote in an article that had absolutely nothing to do with this topic (it was in regards to the Chelsea referee issue) that I found very appropriate:

The definition of bad PR is when a publicist or press officer becomes the story.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Out of nowhere you have to bait someone in your post. Not really necessary.

Actually he admitted the other day that he has worked in PR for years so I was pointing out he would be the best out of all of us to make a judgement on the issue. I made a joke of it because he falsely accused me of also working in PR. Sure if he sees my post he will get what I meant and see the joke.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Actually he admitted the other day that he has worked in PR for years so I was pointing out he would be the best out of all of us to make a judgement on the issue. I made a joke of it because he falsely accused me of also working in PR. Sure if he sees my post he will get what I meant and see the joke.
But nevertheless it is rather pointless to put up something like that, would seemed obvious to a bait. And you too know he loves a good go and the thread will get out of hand. So why do so?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
But nevertheless it is rather pointless to put up something like that, would seemed obvious to a bait. And you too know he loves a good go and the thread will get out of hand. So why do so?
Ok maybe it came out wrong but all I was doing was saying the only PR worker I know of on TIA should be the voice of reason on the subject instead of all us amateurs being the ones to be arguing back an forth over it as none of us will really have much clue what we are talking about. As I dont even know what his opinion is on the matter I cant exactly have an ulterior motive as he may completely disagree with my stance on Chang doing a good job and blow my arguments out the water!

redbj

I think the notion that it takes a pr man to judge pr is completely wrong.

That's the whole point of pr..... Public.

However. My point remains, and is magnified by the fact that all the points raised just mention that he's actually working, we slag players off for nit being good enough to drag us to the nextlevel, but defend public relations employees for just filling a role. I can't see where he's excelling at all. A pompous tv show, Suarez is still the most hated individual in football .

Suarez would beknown as the brilliant but cheeky and harmless scamp of he was excelling in his role.

It's a weird and wonderful world.

OhYaBeauty

Ok maybe it came out wrong but all I was doing was saying the only PR worker I know of on TIA should be the voice of reason on the subject instead of all us amateurs being the ones to be arguing back an forth over it as none of us will really have much clue what we are talking about. As I dont even know what his opinion is on the matter I cant exactly have an ulterior motive as he may completely disagree with my stance on Chang doing a good job and blow my arguments out the water!

ahem, we're calling him the Changsta now

Status
Not open for further replies.