Ee-Aye-Addio

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Yes, for all the talk about the importance of having a ball-playing CB you just don't see those sort of runs from a CB any more. Hansen did it all the time.
The closest we had in the Premier League era to what Hansen was to us back in our heydays was this fella when he bring the ball forward.....

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
I wouldn't normally put anything in here referencing a heavy Liverpool defeat but it seemed appropriate after the death of Johann Cruyff. It's a landmark Liverpool game even though it results in a thrashing, 5 - 1 against Ajax in the 1966/67 European Cup. Still our heaviest defeat in Europe. Despite Shankly's optimism that we could overcome the deficit in the second leg at Anfield, we drew 2-2 with Cruyff scoring both goals.

Cruyff was just 19 when this game was played, which he later described as his favourite of all time. Ajax were not a great team team then but they went on to become one, winning the European Cup three times in succession in the early seventies. I was too young for Pele so Cruyff was the first global footballing superstar that I can remember. A truly great player. He scores the second one here. The match is remembered not just for the scoreline but for the thick fog it was played in, which makes it impossible for the commentator to work out who scored our only goal. It was Chris Lawler.

<
>​

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Yeah, we now celebrate Messis and Ronaldos of the modern era, but if we were to watch back how the game was played. The pitch has holes all over the place, tackles were full blown and there were no substitutions. Players like Cruyff, Dalglish, Pele and all those guys could still show off their bag of tricks time and again. Makes me wonder if this current crop that plays on super slick surface could still be as effective playing with the pitch those old timers did, and live with the types of tackles those players faced, and to top it off, the oldschool ball were fucking heavy compared to the feather weight ones.

Billy Stevo's left boot

Born in L5, live in L4, support one L of a team
Yeah, we now celebrate Messis and Ronaldos of the modern era, but if we were to watch back how the game was played. The pitch has holes all over the place, tackles were full blown and there were no substitutions. Players like Cruyff, Dalglish, Pele and all those guys could still show off their bag of tricks time and again. Makes me wonder if this current crop that plays on super slick surface could still be as effective playing with the pitch those old timers did, and live with the types of tackles those players faced, and to top it off, the oldschool ball were fucking heavy compared to the feather weight ones.
I don't think these players could cope mate, I've seen CL games on the telly involving Liverpool (or even United/Arsenal etc) where we have had to play in Eastern Europe on an iffy pitch and most of the players look like they've never seen a ball before.
And when I say iffy pitches I mean a little bit bobbly, they would have been considered bowling greens by 70's standards.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
watching LFC vs Newcastle 1995/96. Barnes, MCMananaman, Fowler.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
The Europa League final next week is a good excuse for a bit of Euro nostalgia. Some great video here of the first European final we won, the 1973 UEFA Cup, when we beat Borussia Munchengladbach over two legs. The first game at Anfield was abandoned because of a waterlogged pitch. Back then they just turned up the following night and tried again. John Toshack was left out of the original game but was selected by Shankly the following night after he noticed Borussia's weakness in the air. Turned out to be a good decision.

I love Keegan's first goal here. Whatever happened to the diving header? There's something almost balletic about this one. Other things to look out for are the German goalie's tracksuit bottoms, David Coleman's iconic and minimalistic commentary, 'Toshack, Keegan, one nil; Toshack, Keegan, two nil', two missed penalties and some chaotic scenes during the lap of honour with Tommy Smith being mobbed by supporters.

a1gav

Hi guys,i am a vintage adidas ball collector and i recently picked up at auction the match ball from the 1986 FA cup final from the wife of the match referee,the late Alan Robinson who auctioned all of his memorabilia from the final.i would like to try and exchange it for a particular adidas tango ball i have been searching for.If any of you might have one and fancy doing an exchange...you can contact me at [email protected] i can show whoever is interested pictures of the ball and details of the auction which was online and in Portsmouth