• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Emre Can (MF) Juventus

Should LFC sell Can to Juventus?

• Yes-for £30m for what has been a bench player and not a regular starter!

Votes: 69 20.7%
  • No way-a young German national who was integral in our CL qualification this year and has potential

Votes: 264 79.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
No way!!!
At the moment he is our best midfielder. Some of you will not agree, still Juventus(CL finalist) is after him, not Wijnaldum or Hendo.
His contract situation makes him more available than the other two. Given Juventus financial limitations, this is more the reason they would go for Can than an evaluation that says he is the better player of the 3. Although, they may believe he has more room to progress or be a better fit for their team in terms of skill set as well.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
I've thought about that myself, because this is a rumour in germany as well and I'm wondering already why we haven't seen any pictures so far, he should be already back at Melwood right?

We've sold already Lucas and Stewart ... and now Emre as well ? This would be very strange imo, at least for my feeling, but maybe there is something going on behind the scenes...you never know.

Anyway, i expect we'll know more during the next week.

Alright Now

I've thought about that myself, because this is a rumour in germany as well and I'm wondering already why we haven't seen any pictures so far, he should be already back at Melwood right?

We've sold already Lucas and Stewart ... and now Emre as well ? This would be very strange imo, at least for my feeling, but maybe there is something going on behind the scenes...you never know.

Livvy: I can't be bothered (notice I didn't use that prohibited acronym) to learn how to link. But there is an article on the front of the TIA site which suggests Emre returned to Melwood Saturday. Jurgen said talks were going well and he felt confident Emre would sign a new contract.

Clive

Livvy: I can't be bothered (notice I didn't use that prohibited acronym) to learn how to link. But there is an article on the front of the TIA site which suggests Emre returned to Melwood Saturday. Jurgen said talks were going well and he felt confident Emre would sign a new contract.
Just copy and paste the link into your post. Would take less time for you to do this than it'll take Livvy to find the article.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Personally think he is a decent player for us and will improve over the next couple of years under Klopp. At the same time would be pissed off to see him leave on a free next summer, so for me, he signs a new contract before the window closes or we take the money.
Whilst I agree with your assessment of him, I think we should only sell him now if we have a replacement, be it Keita or some other DM, and I wouldn't consider AOC to be a Can replacement.

If we take the money now without getting a replacement, then that would undoubtedly make Grujic very happy but would we be happy with Grujic playing in nearly every game?

I think 30 million, or 35 at a stretch, would be a fair price for someone who isn't a regular international and hasn't actually achieved much in the game. Depends who we're selling to, of course. If it's City, Chelsea or PSG then it's 50 million at least.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Well, it's Juventus - beaten Champions League finalists and perennial champions of Italy. So yep, fuck that - if we're being fleeced on Keita, who I would also suggest isn't someone who's achieved a lot in the game at this stage, and a central defender who can barely get a look in with the Dutch side, then fuck it - bidding starts at £50m in this market. But personally would rather hang on to him.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
Well, it's Juventus - beaten Champions League finalists and perennial champions of Italy. So yep, fuck that - if we're being fleeced on Keita, who I would also suggest isn't someone who's achieved a lot in the game at this stage, and a central defender who can barely get a look in with the Dutch side, then fuck it - bidding starts at £50m in this market. But personally would rather hang on to him.
There is a difference though, isn't there. One of them isn't in the last year of his contract and one doesn't have a guaranteed 48 million euro release clause.

PaulRoJo

Supporter since 1990 still waiting for the league
agree legal alien - if we don't have a central replacement (i.e. Keita, although I'd also consider AOC) then we should hold on to him and let him go for free in summer if necessary. If he's not willing to sign a new contract then selling him now for >35 and getting AOC for ~25m would be decent business. However if we're not getting Keita then I'd question why we couldn't ensure he extends his contract - he should get good game time and also we should be comfortable offering him more than Juve.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
No way we would sell can.
He is decent and is going to improve. This a typical Juventus signing.
The only way id sell can is if we get 30Mil + bonus(3 mil for every trophy) + 1st option to buy back at 45 Mp or 20% of transfer fee when he is sold by juventus.
In short "NO".

spizfromoz

Es maluco, filho da puta!
Bugger, we've lost this one. I can feel it. All those false contract conclusions. I knew it. Damn. Really pisses me off.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
In my opinion, no way. Why would we want a Gooner cast off who couldn't make it there, in a side that wasn't good enough?
Something about that phrase when used about players from other top UK teams. Was Coutinho Inters cast off? Costa, Atletico's cast off? Bit of a thread derailment but using that term with footy players does my head in a bit.

Can will sign a new contract - for sure.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Something about that phrase when used about players from other top UK teams. Was Coutinho Inters cast off? Costa, Atletico's cast off? Bit of a thread derailment but using that term with footy players does my head in a bit.

Can will sign a new contract - for sure.
And of course if he doesn't he'll be a Liverpool cast off clearly lol

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
I voted yes let him go.

He clearly has potential and could be a really good player. The trouble is that I don't see him as an automatic starter, in fact he could even struggle to get on the bench this season.

Can needs games to build up his match fitness. He doesn't come to the party ready.
I don't see him getting the run of games he needs

When he is firing on all cylinders there is no doubt he can effect the game.

£31m is decent enough if we push for a few million more. I would sell

chelseasuck

TIA Youth Team
I voted yes let him go.

He clearly has potential and could be a really good player. The trouble is that I don't see him as an automatic starter, in fact he could even struggle to get on the bench this season.

Can needs games to build up his match fitness. He doesn't come to the party ready.
I don't see him getting the run of games he needs

When he is firing on all cylinders there is no doubt he can effect the game.

£31m is decent enough if we push for a few million more. I would sell
No No No!! Who can we buy for that money that will be better than Emre. If we can't replace with better it makes no sense. While Naby was an option maybe yes, but with that door shut it has to be no.

Unless Leon Goretzka of Shalke can be bought for similar money?

Last edited:

OLDIE

TIA New Signing
Ad-free Member
No No No!! Who can we buy for that money that will be better than Emre. If we can't replace with better it makes no sense. While Naby was an option maybe yes, but with that door shut it has to be no.

Unless Leon Goretzka of Shalke can be bought for similar money?
Thats novel throw a tantrum and answer your own question after it.

I still say sell him.

chelseasuck

TIA Youth Team
Thats novel throw a tantrum and answer your own question after it.

I still say sell him.
It's a question not an answer, we need to know before letting Emre go. Goretzka could fill an Emre shaped hole, but could we get him?

norwegian wood

TIA Regular

Lucas didn't play midfield last season though, and Stewart played very little, so the actual minutes in midfield that need to be replaced with those two are very few. Woodburn can come in and do that, no problem.

Still, if we sell Emre:
Henderson, Wijnaldum, Lallana, Woodburn, Coutinho and maybe Ejaria. That looks a little bit light in options for the two deepest positions. Need one more player there; maybe even two depending on how much playing time the coaches have planned for Woodburn and other young players, and how much Coutinho will play in midfield.

But if we do sell him, I'm pretty sure that means we have something lined up, as you mention. I think we will keep him and let him run down his contract rather than losing the player and needing to find a replacement.

sterlcoutidge

Although I do like Can and think he will develop into a terrific player. He is obviously using us a stepping stone for Bayern or another big club. It's been obvious since he arrived. We've been stuck developing him for years and he'll leave whenever he gets good enough for Bayern or juve etc to want him.

We have to keep him this year. We can't get rid of Lucas, Stewart and can. Especially with hendos injury problems. But I don't have a problem with us treating him as a squad level option as he isn't good enough yet to be first team and there's no point playing him to let him to develop because he'll just leave.

Cologne-Liverpool

Although I do like Can and think he will develop into a terrific player. He is obviously using us a stepping stone for Bayern or another big club. It's been obvious since he arrived. We've been stuck developing him for years and he'll leave whenever he gets good enough for Bayern or juve etc to want him.

We have to keep him this year. We can't get rid of Lucas, Stewart and can. Especially with hendos injury problems. But I don't have a problem with us treating him as a squad level option as he isn't good enough yet to be first team and there's no point playing him to let him to develop because he'll just leave.
I might be wrong, but I don't see anything particularly unusual about Can - he probably wants time on the pitch, preferrably CL as well and play in the national team - and cash.
By your logic we should only be looking at players just in or beyond their prime, who have nowhere else to go.
(I might be exaggerating a bit, but I think you get my point;-))

Status
Not open for further replies.