• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Emre Can (MF) Juventus

Should LFC sell Can to Juventus?

• Yes-for £30m for what has been a bench player and not a regular starter!

Votes: 69 20.7%
  • No way-a young German national who was integral in our CL qualification this year and has potential

Votes: 264 79.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
if can seems to be our weakest link centrally, not because he's in any way inept, but he just doesn't dovetail in as well as the others...at least he's an upgrade on Lucas.
Emre still has a bad passing game and decision making sometimes but I would not want to miss his physical presence for the PL games.

I think his contract situation could get a problem in the coming months and signing or not signing a new one could affect his participation at the World Cup too

jaffod

if can seems to be our weakest link centrally, not because he's in any way inept, but he just doesn't dovetail in as well as the others...at least he's an upgrade on Lucas.
Except Lucas was the most competent defensive mid we had while Can is neither one thing or another. 3 years of mediocrity coming to a close and it'll be no great loss.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
As it's looking likely he'll be leaving can Grujic be the player to step up? Has the physicality, passing range and thumper of a shot. Sadly also has the tendency to dive in to a tackle when cooler heads would either have positional nous or at least shepherd the opponent. Can be coached into him though and he does seem to be a pet project for the staff

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Except Lucas was the most competent defensive mid we had while Can is neither one thing or another. 3 years of mediocrity coming to a close and it'll be no great loss.
There's an Argentine that might argue that fact.....

spizfromoz

Love Emre, but he's hardly been so consistent that Juve will be rushing to sign him. A nice goal against pissant competition is hardly world-beating. had Emre been playing in a deeper role, more appropriate to how he might play the game, he might have developed better. He'll go as it looks now, he's not signing anything. And I doubt he'll get what he wants from the next club.

Zico Nealy

Well he’s been here a while now and never really established himself. With kieta coming he seem surplus to requirements. He’s a decent footballer but his slow style would be well served in Italy, as he will get more time on the ball. I can’t see him bossing juve’s midfield but who knows. I won’t bear him any grudges but I won’t miss him much either, he just isn’t what Liverpool need. Honestly can’t say I’ll think to myself ‘if only Emre was playing’

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
The way we are now, I just don't see any of our midfield could have slotted in for the class of 2007/08/09. We don't even have the midfield of Houllier where we boast a Hamann, Gerrard, McAllister. We have a bunch of good footballers that isn't great at their position and it's a worrying sign coming from a manager who used to boast a midfield that attracted clubs like Madrid and United to part their money for them. Can would only make the bench under Rafa's midfield ensemble at best, so will Henderson and Wijnaldum.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Well, it was about time someone profited from Liverpool when it comes to free transfers. It's a shame that Can wasn't tied down to a new contract but it's an even bigger shame that he hasn't reached consistency he showed between February and May when he was instrumental in getting Liverpool that fourth spot, not just because of his winners against Burnley and Watford. Someone will be getting a nice all-rounder but, without this sounding as sour grapes scenario, he's not a world beater, at least not yet, and I suspect he'll need a bit more time and a change of system in order to reach his potential.

I wonder how Klopp feels about this, Can isn't the best at pressing, he isn't the most agile and technically the best out there, I wonder if he kept him in order to bridge the gap until Keita and perhaps another player arrived. He's pretty good when anchoring the midfield and when he has space to burst forward from deep positions, though. Let's hope he gives Liverpool good, consistent performances until the end of the season.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
The way we are now, I just don't see any of our midfield could have slotted in for the class of 2007/08/09. We don't even have the midfield of Houllier where we boast a Hamann, Gerrard, McAllister. We have a bunch of good footballers that isn't great at their position and it's a worrying sign coming from a manager who used to boast a midfield that attracted clubs like Madrid and United to part their money for them. Can would only make the bench under Rafa's midfield ensemble at best, so will Henderson and Wijnaldum.
So are you suggesting that those three would be guaranteed starters in a Klopp-led counter-pressing team? Regardless of whether you rate all three as having the fitness levels to even get picked by Klopp, you are also suggesting they would all have had the same output if they were plonked into a Klopp team. For example, would Gerrard have had the legs to get an accurate shot on goal with 4 mins remaining against Olympiakos if he was running 4 times the distance ( and 10 times the number of sprints as is required for counterpressing) in THAT game? I'm aware that wasn't under Houllier's tenure but the point still stands. The midfield is key in a Klopp team so you can't expect they will simply have the same output when their responsibilities are completely different.

My point is that comparing apples to oranges is kind of pointless. We don't know how certain players would fit in playing a completely different style of football for a different manager in a different era.

Can is going to be a big loss, particularly if Keita doesn't hit the ground running. The whole "we never wanted you anyway" line is BS.

[email protected]

So are you suggesting that those three would be guaranteed starters in a Klopp-led counter-pressing team? Regardless of whether you rate all three as having the fitness levels to even get picked by Klopp, you are also suggesting they would all have had the same output if they were plonked into a Klopp team. For example, would Gerrard have had the legs to get an accurate shot on goal with 4 mins remaining against Olympiakos if he was running 4 times the distance ( and 10 times the number of sprints as is required for counterpressing) in THAT game? I'm aware that wasn't under Houllier's tenure but the point still stands. The midfield is key in a Klopp team so you can't expect they will simply have the same output when their responsibilities are completely different.

My point is that comparing apples to oranges is kind of pointless. We don't know how certain players would fit in playing a completely different style of football for a different manager in a different era.

Can is going to be a big loss, particularly if Keita doesn't hit the ground running. The whole "we never wanted you anyway" line is BS.
Just to point out that 12km per game is about the upper limit a player runs during our games and even that is not often done. Most cases its between 10 and 11 km. As per your suggestion, for Gerrard to have run four times less than that in order to have the legs to score against Olympiakos means that he would have just run between 2.5 - 3km... that entire game. Just saying.

I do agree that Çan leaving would be a loss to us, though.

zman89

If Emre Can has the legs to play it, Gerrard in 2004/2005 would have absolutely no problem playing any role in Klopp's team and be better than all of our current players. People seem to forget how good Gerrard was in his prime. He is still to this day the best RB I saw playing for this club lol

Mr.Liverpool

My god all this talk of Emre Can he has no consistency in his game he made one great bicycle kick since then how many kicks have been above the goal to the side of the goal or out of bounds. Hes a good #2 let him ride the bench for awhile look what it did for Moreno. Plus I have a feeling in the summer window midfielders and our back line won't be our problems anymore.

Jase

Read today the club's offer is around £75k a week. Can's agent is asking for £160k. If there's any truth to that, it's way to big a gap to be resolved in such a short time. He's gone no doubt imo... just a case of whether it's in January for a token fee, or the summer for free.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"

Did I? Have you read my post properly?

And those three have won us some nice shiny things, didn't they? Or counterpressing is far more superior than say, Champs League trophy?

The arrogance of this new-age fans. When have we been doing all those heavy metal counter pressing these days? You are saying Henderson has better fitness level compared to Gerrard?

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Read today the club's offer is around £75k a week. Can's agent is asking for £160k. If there's any truth to that, it's way to big a gap to be resolved in such a short time. He's gone no doubt imo... just a case of whether it's in January for a token fee, or the summer for free.
And he wants like a £40mil release clause, put himself in this corner.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
And he wants like a £40mil release clause, put himself in this corner.
Can you provide evidence to show that he wanted a £40m release clause, at least a direct quote coming from the club or his agent? The club had already offered him £100K, and thanks to the club giving Lovren £100K, he sure is going to rethink about the offer since I am pretty sure he believes he is better than Lovren (which I do agree).

[email protected]

Delusional to say the least is Emre about his performances and worth for us,quite shocking.
But what is the reality, financially speaking? He will get a decent signing on fee somewhere and a hefty wage increase even if 'only' up to 100k. On a four year deal thats £20.8 million plus lets say 5 million. Thats a £25.8 mil outlay for a 'buying' club including wages for a four year deal with a sell on deal also possible. Absolute bargain and he himself is scoring the equivalent of 125k a week. We're offering 75k a week which basically loses him 50k a week over the next four years.

Its a bit rough but essentially it boils down to that or similar. Then bear in mind that at Juve he is almost guaranteed trophies and Champions League participation. Putting emotion aside, would you take the lesser for no guarantee of trophies of any kind? Would any of us?

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
But what is the reality, financially speaking? He will get a decent signing on fee somewhere and a hefty wage increase even if 'only' up to 100k. On a four year deal thats £20.8 million plus lets say 5 million. Thats a £25.8 mil outlay for a 'buying' club including wages for a four year deal with a sell on deal also possible. Absolute bargain and he himself is scoring the equivalent of 125k a week. We're offering 75k a week which basically loses him 50k a week over the next four years.

Its a bit rough but essentially it boils down to that or similar. Then bear in mind that at Juve he is almost guaranteed trophies and Champions League participation. Putting emotion aside, would you take the lesser for no guarantee of trophies of any kind? Would any of us?
I wouldn't complain about being payed much more than i'm worth,no.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
We've offered Can more than £75k/week. Also, if he wanted a £40m release clause he'd get it (subject to some conditions). He wants an easier out than that.

Phather Fil

Drrrrink!!!

Add in the fact that they have allegedly been talking about this for one and a half years... seems to me his agent has already decided whats happening and he's going for a weigh in on a free. I can't see that a players contract negotiation should or could rumble on for so long. If Liverpool reached a point where the offer is the offer, and there is no room for movement, it will stay that way until he either signs or goes, the writing is on the wall. He'll either find himself with a better off and a signing on bonus or he'll find himself in a place where the offer isn't as attractive as he hoped and sign the piece of paper with a liver bird on the mast head.
From a club perspective there must come a point when you have to say enough is enough, that's the deal, tell us what you want to do.

Lowton_Red

No football club is successful without hard work.
Ad-free Member
You never know what to believe in the papers, especially when they contradict one another. For example according to the Mail it's not about money, it's him wanting a release clause:

"Can has gone on record on several occasions this year to say the impasse has nothing to do with him wanting to squeeze more money out of Liverpool.
Sportsmail reported in September that the stand-off was down to the 23-year-old wanting a release clause in the terms.
That is something to which Liverpool have refused to agree;"

Whereas the Mirror claims it's all about money:

"But it is thought the player’s wage demands are simply too high within the context of Liverpool's pay structure, with the club’s owners setting a strict limit of £75,000 a week on those players not deemed ‘marque’ signings.
Can’s representatives have played hard ball in negotiations – looking for a figure similar to the wage Phlippe Coutinho agreed in his last deal, of around £160,000 a week."

But no mention of a release clause being the stumbling block.:rolleyes:

Phather Fil

Drrrrink!!!
Spot on, that's what the club and Klipperty need to decide... is he worth keeping as a player till summer, or are we in need of whatever cash we would get for him in Jan? Either way his lack of contract commitment means he's off.

ColinK

Can is no huge loss, a great bench player but give me Ketia every time. We have talent in the Mid-field and Can will struggle for game time. Good luck to him.

ColinK

Love Emre, but he's hardly been so consistent that Juve will be rushing to sign him. A nice goal against pissant competition is hardly world-beating. had Emre been playing in a deeper role, more appropriate to how he might play the game, he might have developed better. He'll go as it looks now, he's not signing anything. And I doubt he'll get what he wants from the next club.
Spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.