• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Emre Can (MF) Juventus

Should LFC sell Can to Juventus?

• Yes-for £30m for what has been a bench player and not a regular starter!

Votes: 69 20.7%
  • No way-a young German national who was integral in our CL qualification this year and has potential

Votes: 264 79.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Koon

Very bad englando. I'm so sorry.
We only have Can and Hendo as DM. I don't think Gini can fill the void. We need Can, especially because Hendo is not the fittest player in the world.

It would be very, very bad losing him and I don't think we can find a backup as good as Can.

gr_sounder

I might be wrong, but I don't see anything particularly unusual about Can - he probably wants time on the pitch, preferrably CL as well and play in the national team - and cash.
By your logic we should only be looking at players just in or beyond their prime, who have nowhere else to go.
(I might be exaggerating a bit, but I think you get my point;-))
I tend to agree with you on this.

I will start by saying.... I'm a fan of Emre Can. I was really excited when we signed him a few years ago because I thought he had all the tools to be an excellent DM. Over the last couple years, he has been a good player for us, but he hasn't (yet) taken that next step to become a star or someone that you can always rely upon.

He still makes errors in judgement and sometimes is too rash in tackles/play. That said, he plays will his heart and I think he gives all when on the pitch. He is also only 23 years old... which is something I have to remind myself about because it is extremely young for someone to have done so much right now.

I still think Emre Can can become a very good professional and play for the best teams in the world. That said, I don't see him becoming a stalwart or star player for one of these "best teams in the world". That's not an insult to him, just how I see it.

I would gladly keep him on the team and continue to develop such a young talent, but at the same time I don't think he's one of those players you feel you absolutely MUST keep.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
if he won't sign a new contract then yes absolutely, if he will sign then i'd be happy for him to stay.

chelseasuck

TIA Youth Team
if he won't sign a new contract then yes absolutely, if he will sign then i'd be happy for him to stay.
If no 3rd NK bid, I'd chance a £25 - £30M for Leon Goretzka, someone said he's on last year of contract at Shalke(can't confirm this myself), gotta be worth a shout though if true. Then we're all good whether Can stays or goes( I'm hoping for stays by btw)

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
We can't do what Arsenal do and allow him to get into his final year because it's madness from a business perspective. This season Sanchez, Ozil and Ox have them over a barrel with one year remaining on their deals.
I like Can and would keep him but if he starts pissing around over signing a new contract then we have to move him on.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We can't do what Arsenal do and allow him to get into his final year because it's madness from a business perspective. This season Sanchez, Ozil and Ox have them over a barrel with one year remaining on their deals.
I like Can and would keep him but if he starts pissing around over signing a new contract then we have to move him on.
If we could not get Keita in, you would sell one of our players and leaving us one player short if there is a need to rotate just because we don't want to lose money? He will cost us £10m, the fee we paid for him mate. Not the £30m that we are not getting yet for him right now. If he stays, he did his job and won us something along the way, helped kept us in the Champs League position or better yet, challenging for the title (win it or not is another matter), it would be worth it, no?

halandala

Emre Can is close to signing a new contract with Liverpool. (@MailSport)

Juventus have turned their attentions back to Blaise Matuidi after growing frustrated in their pursuit of Matic and Emre Can. (@MailSport)

Seems like end of story, muhaha

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
If we could not get Keita in, you would sell one of our players and leaving us one player short if there is a need to rotate just because we don't want to lose money? He will cost us £10m, the fee we paid for him mate. Not the £30m that we are not getting yet for him right now. If he stays, he did his job and won us something along the way, helped kept us in the Champs League position or better yet, challenging for the title (win it or not is another matter), it would be worth it, no?
I assume if we don't sign Keita then another player will be signed. I also think that Grujic is another decent option that we didn't have last season due to injury.
A general rule is don't allow good players to run down their contracts and leave for free or half nothing in their last Jan window.
The ideal situation is that he signs the contract. (and Keita signs ) If he doesn't sign then he hardly comes across as committed to the club and I'd doubt Klopp will be happy with him.
I take your general point in not leaving ourselves light in the engine room of course.

StrongINTheAir

The voice of reason
Grumpy Pundits on Sirius XMFC had a bit about "Hard Men in Football".
Made me think about Can. Last season he had 47 overall appearances for club and country, 26 in the league. In that he had 8 yellow cards, 6 in the league. 0 red cards.
I know a lot of people complain about some of the fouls he gives. But I see a lot of them as a professional foul that has him fulfilling the "hard man" role that our team has lacked since Mascherano. As much as I think Hendo does a good job as a leader in the #6 role, I don't see him as the physical presence that Can brings our midfield, that no one else does.
And I think that is an integral part of the pressing game that allows the guys up front to press hard, knowing that there is someone behind themselves who will sacrifice themselves for a booking to protect them. It's like guards in NBA going for steals because they have a 7' shot blocker behind them protecting the basket.
In my opinion, we really need to keep Can for this

seanyw

Hong Kong Reds
Given that we do not look like we are terribly short of money (huge bids for vvd and keita still on... fingers crossed; potentially cashing in on Sakho, Moreno and Markovic), probably it will be a good idea to keep Can this season, either tie him up with a lengthy contract + nice paycheck, or just let it run out next summer. Unless we are sure to get Keita this summer, rejecting the $30m offer will be a bet which in return will give the squad some necessary depth to compete in the league and champ league. Looks alright to me mathematically...

It appears that he wouldn't start in front of Hendo, Lallana, Gini in the midfield but he isn't far, he will still get plenty playing time this season (unless Hendo is able to stay healthy all season long and THAT Guinean guy eventually signs......). He might want the stability he's having now with a world cup year ahead too. I think Can will not be too overly upset if he could neither earn a new contract at this moment or secure a move to Juve. He will be in a very nice position as a free agent next summer anyway.

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
See twitter thread. One story says he's agreed a deal with Juve and that LFC are "likely" to agree to it, and the other is the Mirror story that Juve think they can get him for free next year and have turned thier attention to Matuidi.

Takes yer pick.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
We only have Can and Hendo as DM. I don't think Gini can fill the void. We need Can, especially because Hendo is not the fittest player in the world.

It would be very, very bad losing him and I don't think we can find a backup as good as Can.
People seem to forget Grujic. He is tall, can pass well and if he improve physically, we might have a mini tank.

dxb_red

I don't think we should even be entertaining the idea of selling right now. We don't know whats going to happen with regards to transfers, and we don't know how those transfers are going to settle in, so I would personally like to hold onto him and see how things transpire next season. If by Jan its become apparent that he's not required, then we can entertain the idea of selling, or even loaning him out, but its very possible that come January he'll be needed. Hendo is always an injury risk, Grujic is not quite there yet, Lucas is gone and Keita hasn't even leaned yet. Selling him now and then coming unstuck during the season because we have no cover for injuries or out of form players would be inexcusable, in my opinion.

Chrenyan

There was an Andy Hunter article in the Guardian a while back in which it was stated that the reason that Can was hesitating to sign a new contract was because he wanted to play in a holding midfielder's role, rather than an advanced role as an increased number of sprints was (he felt) exacerbating the problems he had with his calf in the earlier part of the season.

If this is true, it is quite likely that Can's signing a new contract is dependent on our signing one of either Keita or Ox - Keita who can make those lung-busting box to box runs (and can he!) and Ox who has a stated preference to play central (as an attacker of course), thereby easing the reliance on Can in these roles.

This might run on for a while. Or, if the boy feels he can't get assurances on what his 2017-18 role will be, he could leave. Juventus is an attractive prospect, and Can is looking at a World Cup role with Germany in 2018 (can Die Mannschaft retain the World Cup, with Can in the side? That's a big draw for any player, and Can would be loathe to allow injury to get in the way of that dream.).

DanLFC

Strafing ground targets
Not a player we can allow to leave before reinforcements arrive. We have already lost Lucas and Stewert and Hendo's fitness isn't that reliable if Can goes that leaves us very short in the holding role.

If he wants to go and won't sign a new contract then fine but get another body in first.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
People overrate this guy.

I would prefer to keep him but he's a long way from being a pivotal player for us.
He is good for backing up Henderson for now, don't you think? At the time being, would you put your bets on Grujic or Can when it comes down to having to deputise for Henderson? That should be the question. Can is nowhere near end product, but for me Grujic is nowhere near a standard we needed as a fulltime backup.
I assume if we don't sign Keita then another player will be signed. I also think that Grujic is another decent option that we didn't have last season due to injury.
A general rule is don't allow good players to run down their contracts and leave for free or half nothing in their last Jan window.
The ideal situation is that he signs the contract. (and Keita signs ) If he doesn't sign then he hardly comes across as committed to the club and I'd doubt Klopp will be happy with him.
I take your general point in not leaving ourselves light in the engine room of course.
By the looks of it, it is very unlikely to see Klopp signing anyone else other than Keita. I am also far more willing to put my chips on Can than Grujic, since we don't even know what Grujic can do in the league. I do think Grujic need one more season to get a better cup run and a few cameo sub appearances before we could say he don't need Can right now.

The general rule of not letting a player run out their contract so we can make money off them is just that... to make money off them. So for me, I don't really mind a player running down their contract if it means we can get the best out of him in his final season with us in footballing terms. Making money out of a player is not a thing I value highly if I am honest. So I would much rather us not looking at selling to maximise profit, but using the player to their best ability and let them go after/as and when we get proper/better replacement. Klopp seems to be on the same mindset if you look at Lewandowski case.

Sweeting

He is good for backing up Henderson for now, don't you think? At the time being, would you put your bets on Grujic or Can when it comes down to having to deputise for Henderson? That should be the question. Can is nowhere near end product, but for me Grujic is nowhere near a standard we needed as a fulltime backup.

By the looks of it, it is very unlikely to see Klopp signing anyone else other than Keita. I am also far more willing to put my chips on Can than Grujic, since we don't even know what Grujic can do in the league. I do think Grujic need one more season to get a better cup run and a few cameo sub appearances before we could say he don't need Can right now.

The general rule of not letting a player run out their contract so we can make money off them is just that... to make money off them. So for me, I don't really mind a player running down their contract if it means we can get the best out of him in his final season with us in footballing terms. Making money out of a player is not a thing I value highly if I am honest. So I would much rather us not looking at selling to maximise profit, but using the player to their best ability and let them go after/as and when we get proper/better replacement. Klopp seems to be on the same mindset if you look at Lewandowski case.
Yeah I agree he is the best DM backup at the moment and I wouldn't sell him, I just read through a couple of pages and some peoplr rate this guy an awful lot. I think he has it all to prove, especially about maintaining concentration across a full 90 minutes.

John Camillo

Banned Users
Please stop eulogizing Hendo. He's average. And, together with Can, Lallana and Gini, they're responsible for so many of the goals we suffered. They are really poor. They just don't gatekeep danger from our backline, and they are not creative.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Please stop eulogizing Hendo. He's average. And, together with Can, Lallana and Gini, they're responsible for so many of the goals we suffered. They are really poor. They just don't gatekeep danger from our backline, and they are not creative.
You're not from Chicago, by any chance... :think:

nikz200

I cant tell if your joking or not, but to say that they are really poor? Can has come up with big performances during the season without which we wouldnt even finish in the top 4. I would say all our midfielders were instrumental for us to finish in the position we did finish. Hendo has some weaknesses but there is no debating he is the engine of our midfield when he plays, alot of our pressing is contributed by him and Lallana nowadays. In truth , none of them are DMs, and Klopp has chosen Hendo to play the deep role but that was never his natural position anyway. You can tell by his heat charts that he is a constant pest for other teams to get rid of, at least when he is fit. So i would say they are above average

melbournered

Do you know something? I have had a gutful of your trolling bullshit.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.