• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Emre Can (MF) Juventus

Should LFC sell Can to Juventus?

• Yes-for £30m for what has been a bench player and not a regular starter!

Votes: 69 20.7%
  • No way-a young German national who was integral in our CL qualification this year and has potential

Votes: 264 79.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

StrongINTheAir

The voice of reason
True, he had 4 or 5 good games last season so we should definitely heap praise on him and give him a massive new contract.
How many times did Hendo win us a crucial game? Or Lallana or Gini? Or even Firmino Coutinho?
A big squad of quality players needs to rely on multiple players to come up with 4 to 5 good games. We can't look to 11-15 players to all turn in 20, much less 38 game winning performances each seasons.

ptt

2020, head of the table.
Please stop eulogizing Hendo. He's average. And, together with Can, Lallana and Gini, they're responsible for so many of the goals we suffered. They are really poor. They just don't gatekeep danger from our backline, and they are not creative.
Hugo's name was first on the sheet the season we finished second. We didn't win the league because he missed critical games at the end of the season. He was absolutely outstanding. Really poor? Way off target there.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Hugo's name was first on the sheet the season we finished second. We didn't win the league because he missed critical games at the end of the season. He was absolutely outstanding. Really poor? Way off target there.
No.... it was Suarez + Gerrard, then followed by Sturridge if he's fit. The rest is just - "one of the....".

JMac8

Nah, Hendo drove that team towards the end, we fell apart when he wasn't playing.
Agreed. Obv Suarez was the star man. Gerrard provided quality set pieces and ice cool penalties but was just about managing in general play. Hendo drove us on for last third of that season

HKReds

I was impressed by Hendo improved range of passing last season (before he got injured) and I believe he will be a key part of the midfield.

jabu

TIA New Signing
We can't do what Arsenal do and allow him to get into his final year because it's madness from a business perspective. This season Sanchez, Ozil and Ox have them over a barrel with one year remaining on their deals.
I like Can and would keep him but if he starts pissing around over signing a new contract then we have to move him on.
i believe with Can its about playing time because all of a sudden we overloaded in midfield. one could argue that we only have him and hendo in the DM position, but its not really a DM position is it. its mo hybrid (dm and cm). The signing of Mo has had a big domino effect as it pushes countinho into midfield as well as lallana and then you have hendo and gini there as well. If we sign keita, i doubt he sits on the bench. and if robertson wins that left-back position, then you have milner as well...Now that Can has cracked the first 11 for Germany he really wants to play more consistently and funny enough he would be able to do that at juventus

Flobs

FADA
I don't know about anyone else but this is making me shit my pants.
I would say signing Can long term is just slightly less important than sorting out a CB. It appears more and more likely LFC aren't going to offer Can what he is looking for and Can's head has been turned toward fresh pastures.
It's not about the quality of the player it's that he has a quality that none of our other players bring to the squad. Having a player with his physicality in the center of the park is at times match winning.
Are we really considering losing him?

Samwise the Brave

I would say signing Can long term is just slightly less important than sorting out a CB. It appears more and more likely LFC aren't going to offer Can what he is looking for and Can's head has been turned toward fresh pastures.
It's not about the quality of the player it's that he has a quality that none of our other players bring to the squad. Having a player with his physicality in the center of the park is at times match winning.
You probably need to see a doctor. Incontinence is no joke. No joke at all....

I am concerned though, he's a good player who will get better. But I feel like this is BS. Remember he's in contract discussions, then this link comes up. Classic agent move if you ask me.

Flobs

FADA
You probably need to see a doctor. Incontinence is no joke. No joke at all....

I am concerned though, he's a good player who will get better. But I feel like this is BS. Remember he's in contract discussions, then this link comes up. Classic agent move if you ask me.
He's been in contract talks for what about a year now. Juve have been rumored to be interested for about the same length of time. It's now a week since he came back from holiday. It's too slow for my liking.
There has to be a serious sticking point!

What's more worrying is that we are not even in the market for a player who can replace Can's qualities. If he doesn't sign a new one we will just have to hope that Henderson has had bionic transplants this summer.

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
The fact Can hasn't signed tells me we haven't given up on Keita. Because, to me, one is dependent on the other. Can re-signs? I would say we are going with what we have in midfield. Keita signs? I think Can will have a big decision to make.

Can is my man. But if we have indeed signed another player (Keita), Can probably doesnt intend on riding the pine for a year. Having said that, if Can did decide to leave and we bought someone like Keita, I still think we are a little light in the middle. Not first team light, but depth light. Henderson, <new player>, Grugic, Gini at a push are the only ones I can see in our squad remotely capable of playing that true midfield role, and two of them have had injury problems recently.

Limiescouse

The ball is in Can's court already. We want him to stay regardless of what happens with Keita. I suspect the lack of links to people who might replace Can suggest we one of three possibilities: 1) We are very confident it will get resolved soon, 2) we are prepared to go into the season with him in the last year of his contract and hope he gets enough minutes to convince him to sign at a later point, or 3) We think keeping him this year is more important than the fee we'd get for him if we sold him now.

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
Can is my man. But if we have indeed signed another player (Keita), Can probably doesnt intend on riding the pine for a year. Having said that, if Can did decide to leave and we bought someone like Keita, I still think we are a little light in the middle. Not first team light, but depth light. Henderson, <new player>, Grugic, Gini at a push are the only ones I can see in our squad remotely capable of playing that true midfield role, and two of them have had injury problems recently.
Some points that reflect my own. I would just say that I can not see how Keita influences decisions on Can. There's nothing in Keita's, Grujic's or Gini's game that suggests any one of them can do what Can does or brings to our game.

I am also getting worried by the overall character of our squad. It's becoming predominantly professional with smatterings of great technical ability (very much where BR and Klopp are extremely similar).
We are losing that ambitious streak that has, imo, always defined us.Can is just another ambitious player we seem to be losing.

Last edited:

Flobs

FADA
The ball is in Can's court already. We want him to stay regardless of what happens with Keita. I suspect the lack of links to people who might replace Can suggest we one of three possibilities: 1) We are very confident it will get resolved soon, we are prepared to go into the season with him in the last year of his contract and hope he gets enough minutes to convince him to sign at a later point, or 3) We think keeping him this year is more important than the fee we'd get for him if we sold him now.
(You forgot your 2nd point!)

On the 1st point, I have been going along with that line since January. That option looks finished to me.

The 2nd point is the one I would never contemplate, I think Can is ambitious enough to force a move in that circumstance. He knows Juve are there.

3rd point is covered by my thoughts on the second point. I would also add that it implies 'forcing' a player to stay. I just wouldn't like us to get into that territory (hypocrisy comes to mind).

I am still in wait and see mode but it doesn't bide well in my mind.

StrongINTheAir

The voice of reason
My point
my point exactly. For a team that isn't overloaded on physical players, why would we let our most physical midfielder go? It'd be one thing if that was his only good trait, but he offers a lot of other qualities too

Gone Kloppo

Formerly known as Ʒan
Some points that reflect my own. I would just say that I can not see how Keita influences decisions on Can. There's nothing in Keita's, Grujic's or Gini's game that suggests any one of them can do what Can does or brings to our game.

I am also getting worried by the overall character of our squad. It's becoming predominantly professional with smatterings of great technical ability (very much where BR and Klopp are extremely similar).
We are losing that ambitious streak that has, imo, always defined us.Can is just another ambitious player we seem to be losing.
Keita/alternative doesn't, or at least shouldn't, influence our decision on Can. But it will reflect Can's decision, which was the point I was trying to make, albeit not very well. There could be many reasons why he hasn't re-signed - one of them could be as Limie states that he wants assurances on playing time which we can't give, or he is waiting to see how this summer plays out in terms of incomings (a good argument could be made against both of those in honesty).

I don't want him to leave either. And as I and you pointed out, we lose a lot of midfield quality and depth if he was to move on, which is why we have put our foot down publically about no sales.

HKReds

i believe with Can its about playing time because all of a sudden we overloaded in midfield. one could argue that we only have him and hendo in the DM position, but its not really a DM position is it. its mo hybrid (dm and cm). The signing of Mo has had a big domino effect as it pushes countinho into midfield as well as lallana and then you have hendo and gini there as well. If we sign keita, i doubt he sits on the bench. and if robertson wins that left-back position, then you have milner as well...Now that Can has cracked the first 11 for Germany he really wants to play more consistently and funny enough he would be able to do that at juventus
Don't think he is anywhere close to be the first eleven for Germany but I do agree about playing time as Juventus midfield is aging and he is more likely to be a regular in the next few season.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
... he is more likely to be a regular in the next few season.
Nah. Now that Keita seems to be a non-goer, Can will probably start as the "first choice" defensive midfielder with Henderson and Coutinho in front of him.

Chuck in Salah, Mané and Firmino and that's the front six sorted.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Nah. Now that Keita seems to be a non-goer, Can will probably start as the "first choice" defensive midfielder with Henderson and Coutinho in front of him.

Chuck in Salah, Mané and Firmino and that's the front six sorted.
That's not how we set up last season or how we are likely to set up next season at all. Henderson is the deepest player, the anchor, providing a mobile, athletic, screen to press the opposition as they try to play past him to get to the back four. He then has the responsibility to get play moving forward, this would usually be quick short passes to the full backs, the box to box CM or the CAM. Sometimes however he will see opportunities to go longer and release one of our front three and spring an attack. Can is his main back up but due to lack of cover at box to box and CAM we ended up having to play Can at box to box with Gini or Lallana at CAM. This meant we were playing Lucas in the deep role (which he played as a more traditional DM which negatively affected the squad chemistry so even when he played well our midfield was still off balance). Keita is a box to box CM and seemed to be getting bought so we wouldn't need Can there anymore (he was never really quick enough for the role, said he wasn't happy doing it in interviews, and was much better in the deeper role). As Henderson played at a seriously top class level in that role last season, one of the best in Europe till his injury, I would be shocked if he is moved forward. I see Henderson, Can and Alexander-Arnold as the options for the deep role. Gini, Coutinho and Grujic as the box to box options. Coutinho, Lallana and Woodburn as the CAM options. Things will go wrong during the season and we won't always set up with a three man midfield with anchor, box to box and CAM however if we can keep players who fit the roles better in those positions more often I think our midfield will be one of the best around next season. I certainly don't see him tearing up the blue print and starting again.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
That's not how we set up last season or how we are likely to set up next season at all.
Klopp has already intimated that we're going to try new things this season; my hypothetical line-up is predicated upon the assumption that an integral part of Can's contract renegotiation is having assurances about playing time and position, as widely reported by credible sources. Can would therefore lie deepest, with Henderson, Wijnaldum and Grujic as the "box to box" options and Coutinho, Lallana, Gini (again) and young Woodburn as candidates for the more attacking role. Henderson or Grujic can drop deeper when Can is unavailable or rested.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Klopp has already intimated that we're going to try new things this season; my hypothetical line-up is predicated upon the assumption that an integral part of Can's contract renegotiation is having assurances about playing time and position, as widely reported by credible sources. Can would therefore lie deepest, with Henderson, Wijnaldum and Grujic as the "box to box" options and Coutinho, Lallana, Gini (again) and young Woodburn as candidates for the more attacking role. Henderson or Grujic can drop deeper when Can is unavailable or rested.
He's also said there'll have to be rotation this season unlike last. I see Can playing almost as much as anyone else, even then it could be significantly more than most if Henderson isn't fully over his injury issues.

Sweeting

Can't see Can's demands affecting Henderson's role personally. Henderson is the first choice deep midfielder and nothing we have seen since Klopp has come in suggests he wants to use him further forward - certainly not just to appease Can.

If anything Can may be used as an emergency option for the B2B role.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Milner, Henderson, even Gerrard would play where they played for the good of a team. As Eddie says, Messi can demand certain rights, but as Can isnt one of the first 3 or even 5 names on the team sheet, I can see his demands being met. And Im sure the club at going to great pins to point this out to him. Will he get what he wants at Juventus? The ebst advice is to stay and fight for a place, then THE place.

hoosierred

Ad-free Member
Milner has a strongly preferred position and a desire to be in the team and play. He was told he couldn't have both and made himself a good lb so he could play

Limiescouse

So if he thinks he is going to demand not to be rotated in his contract, good luck to him. He ain't Messi.
I dont know why conversations like this happen. Kind of like we had with Milner (it's in his contract to play CM...No. No it isnt).

Status
Not open for further replies.