Emre Can (MF) Juventus

Should LFC sell Can to Juventus?

• Yes-for £30m for what has been a bench player and not a regular starter!

Votes: 64 19.6%
  • No way-a young German national who was integral in our CL qualification this year and has potential

Votes: 263 80.4%

• Total voters

20ATHLONE

My suspicion:

He is, and has made Liverpool aware, leaving for Juventus. Out of respect, or some agreement, he’s remaining silent to prevent distraction on and off the field.

I doubt this was strictly down to money, and suspect he also wanted certain contractual conditions met that we would not, or perhaps have not met.

I hope I’m wrong and he’s going to stay with us, but if my suspicions are correct, I do respect him for it.
Regardless, he’s remained a professional throughout

Livvy

Alles wird gut
So many rumours recently, from... he just bought a house in Liverpool..... to Sami Khedira, who said some days ago to the German media that he has of course spoken to Emre but there is still no decision. Then I've heard Emre wants to stay now but Klopp has decided to look elsewhere... :rolleyes:

My feeling is meanwhile he is off because imo he is just too silent on social media. Not a word on Instagram about our semi cl qualification, not even a "well done boys" or something.

ptt

Mane I'm excited for this season
So many rumours recently, from... he just bought a house in Liverpool..... to Sami Khedira, who said some days ago to the German media that he has of course spoken to Emre but there is still no decision. Then I've heard Emre wants to stay now but Klopp has decided to look elsewhere... :rolleyes:

My feeling is meanwhile he is off because imo he is just too silent on social media. Not a word on Instagram about our semi cl qualification, not even a "well done boys" or something.
Tell you something, bloody refreshing to have a player not taking to twitface every 9 seconds to show pics of their Italian shoes which are then "interpreted" as a call to Juve to sign them.

Bonus

TIA New Signing
am curious to know,
(cant be arsed reading the last 40 odd pages)
but what type of release clause is Can looking for? I assume its a minimum release offer, so....
Is he asking for a very low offer? ( something between 20-40 million, which is low given today transfer fees)
But are LFC offering a really high release price?

Does anyone know?

am curious to know,
(cant be arsed reading the last 40 odd pages)
but what type of release clause is Can looking for? I assume its a minimum release offer, so....
Is he asking for a very low offer? ( something between 20-40 million, which is low given today transfer fees)
But are LFC offering a really high release price?

Does anyone know?
maybe, because i've read the last 40 odd pages :tongue:

Maybe you would care to enlighten me........

:-)
In short - No one knows yet.

The club's position is believed to be that it doesnt want to agree a clause because it will set a precedent for other players.
However, there have been some rumours that the club has been willing to give ground and agree to allow one with the disagreement moving to what that release figure should be - the club wanting a higher release fee in part because of the high wage they are prepared to pay him. Can for his part is looking for a relatively low figure to avoid pricing him out of a move should he wish to do so but isnt willing to cut his wage demands.

But that is all based on rumours and hearsay from the media.

Clive

The club's position is believed to be that it doesnt want to agree a clause because it will set a precedent for other players.
However, there have been some rumours that the club has been willing to give ground and agree to allow one with the disagreement moving to what that release figure should be - the club wanting a higher release fee in part because of the high wage they are prepared to pay him. Can for his part is looking for a relatively low figure to avoid pricing him out of a move should he wish to do so but isnt willing to cut his wage demands.

If it’s that simple (and there’s no reason to believe it isn’t), hopefully a deal can be struck in the interests of all parties. We’ve got bigger fish to fry but Can is still an important player.

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
My suspicion:

He is, and has made Liverpool aware, leaving for Juventus. Out of respect, or some agreement, he’s remaining silent to prevent distraction on and off the field.

I doubt this was strictly down to money, and suspect he also wanted certain contractual conditions met that we would not, or perhaps have not met.

I hope I’m wrong and he’s going to stay with us, but if my suspicions are correct, I do respect him for it.
Regardless, he’s remained a professional throughout

I don't think Juventus would've come out so publicly and been visibly more vexed each time if that were true.
It seems if he's off there for sure their sporting manager doesn't know about it.

Bonus

TIA New Signing

But that is all based on rumours and hearsay from the media.[/QUOTE]

if the rumours and hearsay are to be believed (which is dangerous), then to hell with him.

We are a top 4 European club, we shouldnt be held to ransom by anyone,
because as you said, its sets a precedent for the future, and any tom dick and harry might try the same shit
so we need to make an example, and say NO!

this is what we offer take it or leave, although we can negotiate to a certain extent,

Its actually a perfect opportunity for LFC to set a standard, as Can at the moment is.....
Not exactly undroppable,, he has his good game then, then his many poor games,,
He's hardly Mane, Firminho, Salah, VVD, etc , etc...........
he is replaceable

So why not make an example of him and just let him join Juve (as expected) a top 8 European team

Danny_

There are very few clubs that would pay better wages than us now so unless he is going to United, Real, Barca, Chelsea, City or PSG, he probably isn't doing it for the money. If he goes to Juve, so be it. His agent is probably whispering in his ear because a move will make him a lot of money. I hope he stays but it is not like we aren't able to cope without him.

There are very few clubs that would pay better wages than us now so unless he is going to United, Real, Barca, Chelsea, City or PSG, he probably isn't doing it for the money. If he goes to Juve, so be it. His agent is probably whispering in his ear because a move will make him a lot of money. I hope he stays but it is not like we aren't able to cope without him.
Well he's not being linked to many teams outside of that short list you put forward, so i dont see how anyone can rule out the money angle so quickly.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I know, I don't get the hand-wringing from some quarters honestly. My own position on potentially losing him has been a resounding meh for about the last six months now...
Im exactly the same, I actually think Emre is a very good player, but is he the right player for this team? No not for me.. We play high octane, 1 touch transitional play which is breathtaking but relies on players moving the ball with the minimal of touches, moving into space and playing passes quick and early.. All of these are the opposite of Emre, who dwells on the ball, is slow to pass, takes 5-6 touches before deciding what to do.

Emre would be perfect in a team like Utd which is built on bullying teams through size and power.

I think its quite similar to Coutinho, a world class player, but did he really suit our style of play? Was he the ideal Klopp player? Probably not, but you fit him in because he is so good. Since Coutinho has left we as a team have grown and in my eyes blossomed into what I would say is a typical Klopp team. Very much a case of the sum of the parts being greater than the parts itself.

Gini/Milner may not be on a 1v1 basis better than Emre, but in the collective? They contribute far more because they fit into a blueprint, whereas when Can plays we play far far slower.. Pass and move, you can do it or you cant.. Keita who is coming in certainly can, so will Emre be missed? No, annoyingly the only bit of a gripe is the lack of a transfer fee.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Liverpool pay decent wages now, but bare in mind he is at least a £30m player leaving on a free, his future club can pay him a huge signing bonus or massive wages and still have a bargain.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
We play better without him, far quicker transitions.
To be honest, I wish he didn't get injured, he would have been extremely useful to Klopp in this closing stages of the season, especially now that players are getting injured left and right. That said, beyond this summer, I'd expect an almost whole new midfield to be lining up for Liverpool - and it doesn't include Can.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
To be honest, I wish he didn't get injured, he would have been extremely useful to Klopp in this closing stages of the season, especially now that players are getting injured left and right. That said, beyond this summer, I'd expect an almost whole new midfield to be lining up for Liverpool - and it doesn't include Can.
Yes I too would prefer to have him fit so that we have extra bodies to rotate in such hectic final stretch, but I felt it's a blessing in disguise since without him we can then see the strengths and weaknesses of our current mid. I also would not think Oxlade would have been given that many minutes if he is fit.

I still hope he'll stay. One of my favorites to be honest.

He really backed himself into a corner with this Juve flirt tho now that we're in the semis and they're out flat on their arse. Juve ain't a bigger club at all, and his pay will be worse there too so It literally makes no sense for him to go there unless there's a personal reason for it. Maybe we could label it the Neymar-Syndrom, a delusional suggestion that the grass is greener on the other side eventhough it's clearly not.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin
Maybe it will open up some playing time for Woodburn between now and the end of the season, which could be beneficial for him and the club. After all, it's Clyne's season-long injury which allowed TAA and Gomez to blossom.

Nikola

Mediocre outcome is the probable outcome.
Admin
Maybe it will open up some playing time for Woodburn between now and the end of the season, which could be beneficial for him and the club. After all, it's Clyne's season-long injury which allowed TAA and Gomez to blossom.
The key difference is that both Gomez and Alexander-Arnold were fully fit at the moment of Clyne's injury, whereas Woodburn has had a mixed season fitness-wise. Otherwise, I think he would have featured a bit more, at least as a sub. That said, Klopp is a big fan of his players retaining their rhythm, I wouldn't be surprised if he went to WBA with his strongest team, fitness permitting.

Im exactly the same, I actually think Emre is a very good player, but is he the right player for this team? No not for me.. We play high octane, 1 touch transitional play which is breathtaking but relies on players moving the ball with the minimal of touches, moving into space and playing passes quick and early.. All of these are the opposite of Emre, who dwells on the ball, is slow to pass, takes 5-6 touches before deciding what to do.

Emre would be perfect in a team like Utd which is built on bullying teams through size and power.

I think its quite similar to Coutinho, a world class player, but did he really suit our style of play? Was he the ideal Klopp player? Probably not, but you fit him in because he is so good. Since Coutinho has left we as a team have grown and in my eyes blossomed into what I would say is a typical Klopp team. Very much a case of the sum of the parts being greater than the parts itself.

Gini/Milner may not be on a 1v1 basis better than Emre, but in the collective? They contribute far more because they fit into a blueprint, whereas when Can plays we play far far slower.. Pass and move, you can do it or you cant.. Keita who is coming in certainly can, so will Emre be missed? No, annoyingly the only bit of a gripe is the lack of a transfer fee.
I think we get it, you prefer the other midfielders over Can. But to go so far to say that Can makes us a worse team is perhaps a bit too far-streched IMO. For me there's no way to claim that either Wijnaldum, henderson or Milner are much better players or fit Klopps philosophy much more than Can and I've seen enough games to conclude that is not the case. Also It's a bit funny that you know more about Klopp's system and players fitting in than Jurgen himself. it's actually quite hilarious.

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Klopp places a huge amount of stock in the value that Can brings to the side. He plays him when fit. He says they try everything to get.him on the field. He wants him to sign a new contract.
For me, that's enough of a reason to want to keep him. We have had managers in the past whose judgement I have questioned. With Klopp he gets the majority of the calls right when it comes to players. If he wants Can then keep Can.

When Can clicks (which in my opinion happens more regularly in the holding, anchor role than the box to box role) he shows that he could be a world class player. Whether due to distraction/motivation over his future, inconsistency due to his age or other reasons that doesn't happen all the time. I'd say out of every 5 games with Can at the moment you'll get a world class performance, 1 good performance, 2 meh performances and one stinker. That's only a very basic feel of it. Change those meh performances to good or world class and we've got a player good enough to be our starting anchor. If he stays then I'll be hoping for that consistency from him so he can move ahead of Henderson in the pecking order. Henderson due to injury is quite similar with his inconsistent performances but isn't likely to improve now I don't think. If Can leaves we are almost being forced to go out and sign another CM. That could well be a blessing when you look at signings like Salah, VvD, Mane and (hopefully) Keita. Either way I can see this situation turning out well for us so I'm not actually too worried one way or the other.

Iluvatar

Allez Allez Allez
I think we get it, you prefer the other midfielders over Can. But to go so far to say that Can makes us a worse team is perhaps a bit too far-streched IMO. For me there's no way to claim that either Wijnaldum, henderson or Milner are much better players or fit Klopps philosophy much more than Can and I've seen enough games to conclude that is not the case. Also It's a bit funny that you know more about Klopp's system and players fitting in than Jurgen himself. it's actually quite hilarious.
I never said Can makes us a worse team, we do very well with him playing in the midfield. What I said is that in my opinion we elevate our game even higher with other combinations of midfielders.

What is funny people is the ones who put other words in another's mouth, then try and twist it as the poster is saying they know better than Klopp. Ive not said that, I have clearly said its my opinion, based on what I see on a regular basis. You can however have knowledge of how Klopp had his team playing at Dortmund, and again here. He plays the quickest transitional attack Ive seen, the speed we go from defending into creating a chance is speed of sound type stuff.. So when I say Can who consistently breaks down moves by taking extra touches doesn't fit, I say so basing it on something tangible.

In fact since Can was injured Oxlade has got more minutes and he has flourished into some player, the midfield with him at the tip is operating very well.

Note I specifically say Can is a very very good midfielder, but is he who Id have in my midfield? No, Henderson, Keita, Oxlade will be some freaking midfield next year.

I still hope he'll stay. One of my favorites to be honest.

He really backed himself into a corner with this Juve flirt tho now that we're in the semis and they're out flat on their arse. Juve ain't a bigger club at all, and his pay will be worse there too so It literally makes no sense for him to go there unless there's a personal reason for it. Maybe we could label it the Neymar-Syndrom, a delusional suggestion that the grass is greener on the other side eventhough it's clearly not.
I don't think it's a comparable situation at all.

I never said Can makes us a worse team, we do very well with him playing in the midfield. What I said is that in my opinion we elevate our game even higher with other combinations of midfielders.

What is funny people is the ones who put other words in another's mouth, then try and twist it as the poster is saying they know better than Klopp. Ive not said that, I have clearly said its my opinion, based on what I see on a regular basis. You can however have knowledge of how Klopp had his team playing at Dortmund, and again here. He plays the quickest transitional attack Ive seen, the speed we go from defending into creating a chance is speed of sound type stuff.. So when I say Can who consistently breaks down moves by taking extra touches doesn't fit, I say so basing it on something tangible.

In fact since Can was injured Oxlade has got more minutes and he has flourished into some player, the midfield with him at the tip is operating very well.

Note I specifically say Can is a very very good midfielder, but is he who Id have in my midfield? No, Henderson, Keita, Oxlade will be some freaking midfield next year.
Not really convinced. yaya played the same "slow" game for City for years and that didn't stop them playing at the highest level and winning everything. Viera was a "slow" playmaker as well, even Hamann and Alonso fit that profile. But that's not the point, the point is that we have been playing quick transitional football all season, at the highest level in the football world(top 3 in the world imo) and Can has featured in the majority of these games, so something doesn't add up with your theory that he holds up back or slow up our game. We're also playing good short pass football aswell as the quick transitional football, we're not just a one dimentional team, and Can is one of the players that brings something else to the table than just speed footy. Hes' proved he has that rare moment of pure brilliance, but he also brings the needed muscle and fight to the midfield when that's needed. Him and Keita could potential outmucle any side imo. mixed with Chamberlain I would say we have pretty hefty midfield too.

Keita is a upgrade on Wijnaldum as I see it, whom often slow our play down too and passive as hell for the most part.

Last edited: