• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Emre Can (MF) Juventus

Should LFC sell Can to Juventus?

• Yes-for £30m for what has been a bench player and not a regular starter!

Votes: 69 20.7%
  • No way-a young German national who was integral in our CL qualification this year and has potential

Votes: 264 79.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
He does offer a physical and agressive aspect that we often lack when he is not playing!

Oh! you do realise that saying we play better without him is like saying we play worst with him don't you? :J
I accept that, I think in a roundabout way I was trying to explain that I don't think Emre is a bad player (infact I think he is very good). My point was we play well with him, but (in my humble opinion) very well with a different midfield.

I personally think Keita will replace the aggressive/physical aspect, bit of a snide which I love!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
The one thing we need to replace when Can depart is a midfielder that can win aerial battles. Can is pretty good in the air and if there are people doubting Jorginho's aerial ability standing at 1.81m, Keita is only 1.72m. We are prone to route one attack, especially against sides that have pacy wingers with ability to finish.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
The one thing we need to replace when Can depart is a midfielder that can win aerial battles. Can is pretty good in the air and if there are people doubting Jorginho's aerial ability standing at 1.81m, Keita is only 1.72m. We are prone to route one attack, especially against sides that have pacy wingers with ability to finish.
Grujić would be ideal for those scenarios but his overall game isn't developed enough, I presume there will be another loan move for him next season. That said, when you look at Man City sides that won the title... Not much height, actually none at all, but bundles of energy and technical ability. What Klopp is building is reminiscent of that, only that "energy" is a more dominant component than that pure technical ability and eye for a pass that Silva and De Bruyne have. Interestingly enough, quite the opposite when it comes to base of midfield, looking at players linked to replace Can (Jorginho/Neves). That said, Ndidi has also been linked but it never did seem serious to me, always felt he's was down the pecking order behind players who are more playmakers than destroyers.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Grujić would be ideal for those scenarios but his overall game isn't developed enough, I presume there will be another loan move for him next season. That said, when you look at Man City sides that won the title... Not much height, actually none at all, but bundles of energy and technical ability. What Klopp is building is reminiscent of that, only that "energy" is a more dominant component than that pure technical ability and eye for a pass that Silva and De Bruyne have. Interestingly enough, quite the opposite when it comes to base of midfield, looking at players linked to replace Can (Jorginho/Neves). That said, Ndidi has also been linked but it never did seem serious to me, always felt he's was down the pecking order behind players who are more playmakers than destroyers.
Not sure if I would rate Ndidi as much as some fans that wanted him here. I agree that City don't really care much about getting hit by long balls, and yes both clubs seemed a bit more similar than one thinks. But like you said, technical players between the two clubs? We are not even close in comparison as theirs, and they break teams down with their passes through that eye of the needle, something we don't have. We are also prone to long ball and that's exactly the same as City. We do need however a Silva and a De Bruyne to compete with them in the league.

HKReds

Given that both City and us usually plays with a high line, even if the opposing teams go long, won't it be the center defenders that will be likely to be dealing with the high ball?

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Given that both City and us usually plays with a high line, even if the opposing teams go long, won't it be the center defenders that will be likely to be dealing with the high ball?
No, depends where they hit to.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I am pretty sure teams launching long ball into their own half is the least of our concerns
Against teams playing a high line, they can hit in front of the defence if the midfield are unlikely to win the first balls, the full backs if they can be exploited, or behind the high line if the forwards can run passed the defence.

Flobs

FADA
Against teams playing a high line, they can hit in front of the defence if the midfield are unlikely to win the first balls, the full backs if they can be exploited, or behind the high line if the forwards can run passed the defence.
As long as they don't kick it at our goal we should be fine. Oh! wait a minute Karius seems to be becoming good, no worries then! :)
HKReds seems to be looking at formations a rigid, like table football rigid, it's still 11 against 11 and a DM can edge back to make a back 3 (Can has been known to do this) or edge forward to create 3 midfielders (Can has been known to do this as well).

HKReds

As long as they don't kick it at our goal we should be fine. Oh! wait a minute Karius seems to be becoming good, no worries then! :)
HKReds seems to be looking at formations a rigid, like table football rigid, it's still 11 against 11 and a DM can edge back to make a back 3 (Can has been known to do this) or edge forward to create 3 midfielders (Can has been known to do this as well).
I not looking at it being rigid but rather, I am highlighting that perhaps heading ability for a midfielder is a good to have quality but it not a crucial one compared to others given the way we play and in particular, in the context of team hitting high ball to counter our pressing (as in the original post that started this).

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Pretty neutral about this rumoured development. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he did come to his senses and realise how incredibly good he's got it here and that as a club we're on the verge of something very special.

But at the same time I wasn't entirely fussed about him leaving. I guess you can say that if he does renew then at the very least we aren't losing a £30m+ asset for nothing, so that has to be seen as a positive.

Flobs

FADA
Pretty neutral about this rumoured development. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he did come to his senses and realise how incredibly good he's got it here and that as a club we're on the verge of something very special.

But at the same time I wasn't entirely fussed about him leaving. I guess you can say that if he does renew then at the very least we aren't losing a £30m+ asset for nothing, so that has to be seen as a positive.
Yes! I think there is still the question do we leave our offer on the table.
In a way we need him for his physical presence (which is mainly defensive) however in possession we could get away with other players (even Wijnaldum ^^).

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
Today it’s being reported that Can has now agreed a five year deal with Juventus. Is there no fuckin good news, 2days before He Roma game??

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Today it’s being reported that Can has now agreed a five year deal with Juventus. Is there no fuckin good news, 2days before He Roma game??
Not sure how Juventus can afford this - that must be the fifth or sixth contract he has signed with Juve in the past four months. I reckon he must be on 750k/week now.

Scott Jones

Blunt
Ad-free Member
Seems to me he's waiting for an approach from another club that might not come with Juve only being his fall back choice,he's not staying but hasn't got the kind of outside offers he thought he would get but i'm sure the club know this and are planning for his replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.