• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Emre Can (MF) Juventus

Should LFC sell Can to Juventus?

• Yes-for £30m for what has been a bench player and not a regular starter!

Votes: 69 20.7%
  • No way-a young German national who was integral in our CL qualification this year and has potential

Votes: 264 79.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JMac8

I think we get it, you prefer the other midfielders over Can. But to go so far to say that Can makes us a worse team is perhaps a bit too far-streched IMO. For me there's no way to claim that either Wijnaldum, henderson or Milner are much better players or fit Klopps philosophy much more than Can and I've seen enough games to conclude that is not the case. Also It's a bit funny that you know more about Klopp's system and players fitting in than Jurgen himself. it's actually quite hilarious.
Milner > Can. You haven’t watched the champions league if you argue otherwise

Red over the water

Can is a good player, not great. The current midfield set up misses him, but next season, with expected arrivals, it’s very doubtful he gets in the team. He sees himself as more of a main man and I doubt he would be getting that here as we move forward. The slower pace in Italy will suit him and I’m sure he will win trophies at Juventus and have a nice life and so on. I was suspicious about his injury, but seeing him not make the German World Cup squad because of it at least legitimizes it.

We lose an asset on a Bosman so the finances are affected by not receiving a fee, but on the other hand we benefit from the Bosman rule from time to time too. Maybe someone like Max Meyer will come on a Bosman and add some depth to the midfield to cancel out the Bosman leaving?

JMac8

Can is a good player, not great. The current midfield set up misses him, but next season, with expected arrivals, it’s very doubtful he gets in the team. He sees himself as more of a main man and I doubt he would be getting that here as we move forward. The slower pace in Italy will suit him and I’m sure he will win trophies at Juventus and have a nice life and so on. I was suspicious about his injury, but seeing him not make the German World Cup squad because of it at least legitimizes it.

We lose an asset on a Bosman so the finances are affected by not receiving a fee, but on the other hand we benefit from the Bosman rule from time to time too. Maybe someone like Max Meyer will come on a Bosman and add some depth to the midfield to cancel out the Bosman leaving?
Exactly. He wasn’t faking it. He’s honoured his contract. He’ll be no great loss. We can wish him all the best and move on. This time next year he’ll be forgotten about

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Liverpool midfielder Emre Can has been included in the travelling party for this week's training camp in Marbella.

Jürgen Klopp and his squad will fly out this morning for a four-day stay on the Andalusian coast, where preparations for the Champions League final meeting with Real Madrid will begin.
Can, who has been sidelined by a back injury since March, will join his teammates on the trip in order to continue his rehabilitation.
The German’s fitness will be monitored and assessed on a day-by-day basis to determine if and when he can rejoin full training with the rest of the squad.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/302119-emre-can-injury-update-liverpool-real-madrid

Red over the water

Interesting that he’s going to Marbella. Maybe an outside chance of making the bench for the final? Or maybe we are just holding him to the last few weeks of his contract and he is reporting for work while still on our payroll?

It’s all a bit businesslike, but at least it’s professional and above board. (Loved Coutinho, but the suspicious injury as he jostled for a move didn’t sit right).

Zoran

Fighting like beavers.
I guess it's just to keep him as part of the group and do everything we can if he's got an outside chance to make the bench... any minute, anything we can get from the likes of him and Lallana could be useful for us. The deal to Juve is probably already done for a while now and could be announced 24 hours after the final.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Has he been active on social media much? I know he used to be at times. Him going the camp isn't that surprising to me be honest but him doing a post is. It's like trying to guess why he would if he's already 75% out the door. If he posts all the time then nothing to see here but thought he'd been uncharacteristically quiet.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
Milner > Can. You haven’t watched the champions league if you argue otherwise
When did I claim such thing tho?

All I did was argue against the other poster claiming Can is making us a worse team, which I don't agree with at all.

Milner is fantastic, always rated him for his insane workrate.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Interesting that he’s going to Marbella. Maybe an outside chance of making the bench for the final? Or maybe we are just holding him to the last few weeks of his contract and he is reporting for work while still on our payroll?

It’s all a bit businesslike, but at least it’s professional and above board. (Loved Coutinho, but the suspicious injury as he jostled for a move didn’t sit right).
I wouldnt read anything into it. I think he is able to training lightly now, so Klopp makes a usualy decision whicxh is to take players who might have a chance of the bench. its possible he took Oxade too just to keep the group together.

jackh1092

Emre Can has always been a player that i haven't been fully sold on.

Don't get me wrong, he's a huge asset and coming into his prime. However, he spends too much of the season being inconsistent and slow in a very important position. There are games that i watch and i think, "god he's frustrating" because he's got it all, but fails to put it together a lot of the time. It's possible he's carrying knocks in some of these instances, but i am not privy to that.

It's an annoyance to lose him on a free, especially as we are looking to have a go at toppling City. Any player being lost, with the decision out of our hands is a gutter.

The one thing to note on this, is that a lot of modern players are going down this route, through their own choice, or their agents. Emre wants the freedom to leave when he wants, didn't we sign him due to a release clause in his contract?

Swings and roundabouts, and as long as we lose nobody else who we don't want too, i will accept it as he's far from irreplaceable.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Will sign for Juventus after the final, reported by the Guardian (so pretty reliable):

Emre Can will formally complete a move from Liverpool to Juventus after Saturday’s Champions League final, with the Germany midfielder poised to sign a five-year contract with the Italian club.

Can has long been linked with a switch to Turin having declined to sign a contract extension at Anfield. His current deal expires at the end of next month, at which point he will be able to join Juventus on a free transfer. The Serie A champions are expected to pay Can €5m a season in wages.

Can’s departure represents a blow for Liverpool. Having joined the club from Bayer Leverkusen in 2014 , the 24-year-old has gone onto become an important part of Jürgen Klopp’s side, offering drive and authority from central midfield. Klopp was desperate to keep hold of his compatriot but will now go into his third full season in charge of Liverpool without the player, although the manager’s midfield options will be immediately bolstered by the arrival of Naby Keïta from RB Leipzig.

Can has not played for Liverpool since sustaining a back injury in mid-March. He was part of the squad that trained at Anfield on Monday ahead of the meeting with Real Madrid in Kiev. Should the German take part in that match it will be his last appearance for Liverpool.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/21/emre-can-to-move-from-liverpool-to-juventus-on-five-year-contract

macca1970

Good luck Emre. Came as a youngster, played in several positions, and also played through injury. Some good memories. Was a professional and kept to his contract.

Can’t imagine money being a factor in the move. Seems to be more of experiencing another culture. Fair play to him.

Who can fuck off? Emre Can.
Good luck at Juve Emre, you played some good games for us and scored a few nice goals but I think we'll both do okay apart. Surprised you are taking such a salary cut in Turin though...
What’s with all the vitriol?

Read Klopp’s message post Coutinho leaving:

…..as hard as it is sometimes to accept, it is part of life and part of football – individuals have their own dreams and their own goals and objectives in life.

“Players will come and players will go, that is football, but as a club we are big enough and strong enough to continue with our aggressive progression on the pitch, even when we lose an important player. We have never been in a better position in recent times, as a club, to react in the right way. We will use our size and strength to absorb moments like this and still move forward.

Let go of your bitterness.

Red over the water

I’d never be horrible to a Liverpool player, but with Can it’s professional and courteous and there’s no love there. He’s doing what he’s entitled to do. I’m wishing him well, but there’s no hand-wringing or big disappointment. He’s not good enough for any of that.

Good player, not great. Smashing highlight reel, but (if such a thing existed) would also have an incriminating lowlight reel! At his best he adds drive and strength through the middle, and weighs in with a few goals. At his worst he is too ponderous, both when the ball comes to him quickly and he needs to make a quick decision to move it on, and also on the run. Fine top speed, but slow off the mark.

All of that adds up to Can being borderline starter material next season, and that’s before we strengthen further this summer. Had he stayed he’d have probably been a squad man, but he will want to play more and has probably been assured of that in Italy, where the slower build up pace will suit his game.

He will do well and we will do well. Good luck to him and all that, but it’s a bit meh to me. Been coming for ages.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Meh. Wouldn't willingly sell him but him leaving gives us an opportunity to improve his position. A position we aren't incredibly strong and convincing in even with him in the side. May be a blessing in disguise. Worst case scenario it's an annoyance and a hick up.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Well... that was on the cards wasn't it, and it seems now more and more official. Probably a matter of time before the official site announces the news, possibly just after the final.

Thoroughly annoying to lose him at a moment when we could still nicely use him. It means that Keita's arrival within our midfield won't be enough, and that another really good player will have to come in if we don't want to be weakened going into next season.

He offers a few things the club will have to replace now: strength, combativity, size, and generally a good body which doesn't get hurt very often. This along 100% commitment almost every game. A few good goals too.

I wish him well. He has fulfilled his contract as a genuine professional, has never let the club down at any point (reason why Klopp would have wanted to keep him) and choses now to leave England for Italy's best club. This kind of things happen.

It's a bit surprising though to see him leave just at a point when we seem to raise our standing in the game and improve from season to season. Maybe it's an indication that he's isn't quite sure that he'd stay an ever-starting first-teamer if he stayed?

Anyway, best of luck to the lad. Give us a good last match if selected, help us winning Big Ears, and then we all move on.

RedJacko

TIA Youth Team
Couldn't have said it any better Hope. I know there has been situations recently with players departing on not the best of terms, but despite an inconsistent few years (which I think this season he has stepped up his game considerably) I don't think I've ever questioned the lads desire.

It's very easy to now say 'we're amongst Europe's elite, we're in the final' etc. etc. But we can't be sure how long ago this was verbally agreed and it's not that easy to just reverse a decision.

Good luck to him I say, and someone I generally think could be world class in that B2B role. We move on. He's not moving to a direct rival like the countless Arsenal players over the years - Lets cut him some slack.

jackh1092

Much better that he goes to another league.

Also, hope the comments above are correct in that he will regret leaving us, however, it's fair to say he's at least moving sideways. He might be going to a lesser league, but he's certain to lift trophies there and it's something i hope we can start saying here.

It's not a bad move for him, for all i think we are going to have a very exciting time without him.

Esoteric

I would have liked to keep hold of him for another year or so to see if he could go that extra yard and reach his full potential. I'm expecting more competition for places in midfield, next season and I'm not too surprised he sees his future elsewhere. So, Emre "Man-On" Can, thank you for your contribution and good luck for the future.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Don't see what all the fuss about him leaving us is all about.I am pleased he's leaving. Let's be frank. Emre slowed our play down with too many touches, was often ponderous in possession, he's not quick or mobile and gave the ball away for fun.

What we need are quick, skilful midfielders that skin players for fun, create and score on a regular basis. You know, a player such as Naby Keita, now he's a proper midfielder.This is the kind of midfield player we need to take us to a higher level.

Last edited:

SC LFC Fan

Don't see what all the fuss about him leaving us is all about.I am pleased he's leaving. Let's be frank. Emre slowed our play down with too many touches, was often ponderous in possession, he's not quick or mobile and gave the ball away for fun.

What we need are quick, skilful midfielders that skin players for fun, create and score on a regular basis. You know, a player such as Naby Keita, now he's a proper midfielder.This is the kind of midfield player we need to take us to a higher level.

Honestly, I occasionally felt that way about Coutinho as well. He certainly had some adventurous passes forward that were fantastic, but too often it would stick to his feet (often impressively so, which is why Barca and everyone else rated him), and keep us from quickly moving forward.

Could be the only one to know this reference, but watching my MLS team (I know, I know) ATL United, they have a new young stud named Barco that is similar. They're a quick strike team, but it occasionally sticks to him (again, often impressively so nonetheless).

Status
Not open for further replies.