• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Expectations of Owners, Manager and Fans

If we finish higher than 8th is it a fantastic season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Before the site went down there was a poll, of where we expected to finish in the league. At the time I was the miserable bastard who said we would finish 8th (the lowest position voted for by a TIA member). There were a few users whose expectations were 7th (Eddie, Hope, Dane etc), but the vast majority of us voted for 4th or 5th spot.

Obviously expectations for many of us have changed considerably, but I was surprised today to read that Rodgers considers finishing any higher than 8th as a "fantastic" achievement.

Should our goal in the league simply be anything better than a poor season ?
Where do you now expect us to finish ?
Will finishing around 8th be good enough for FSG ?

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
I will say I voted for 5th at the time. Now I feel that given the problems we had with the way the window ended and players moving on with no replacement I would say on current form finish 5th maynot be as easy as it should have been. I feel we will fall short of that but will finish higher than 8th, 6th should be achivalble, The club has had it's problems over the first few months of the season and if we get a striker in, in January then we should be in a better place come the end of the season.I do think the owners expectations are quite low for this season, I get the feeling if don't drop any lower than last seasons finish they will see it as a job done well, I think they will want EL as a minmum.

RedSeven

On the one road
Before the site went down there was a poll, of where we expected to finish in the league. At the time I was the miserable bastard who said we would finish 8th (the lowest position voted for by a TIA member). There were a few users whose expectations were 7th (Eddie, Hope, Dane etc), but the vast majority of us voted for 4th or 5th spot.

Obviously expectations for many of us have changed considerably, but I was surprised today to read that Rodgers considers finishing any higher than 8th as a "fantastic" achievement.

Should our goal in the league simply be anything better than a poor season ?
Where do you now expect us to finish ?
Will finishing around 8th be good enough for FSG ?
The origional poll was set up when we expected we would be busier in the transfer market so this would have had a bearing on how people voted.Since we didn't buy a decent striker in the summer i am now changing where i think we'll finish from 3rd to 4th.

The owners in public will say anything better than 8th is good enough but i'm very sure in private they will be thinking and saying differently.Although i also think no matter where we finish,as long as we are still in the premiership next season,that they will stand by BR.

Our goal should always be first,but with a dose of realism that at times we may not be good enough to get there.

Lucas

I reckon we'll finish 8th or 1 place above/below, and anything above this would be "fantastic", i see this season as a serious transition season and i'm willing to take a lower placed finish in return for a better understanding of Brendan's system which would propel us forward in future seasons - 1 step back for 2 forward, if you will - and i think the owners will see this. However, if we take a low placed finish and then fail to strengthen suitably then serious questions will have to be asked of the owners and perhaps Rodgers too, as i'm only willing to sacrifice this season on the hope that it is setting us up for better ones.

kwala

TIA Regular
can't remember where i said last time, but 4th is a definate dream. IF we sign some players to stick the ball in the net apart from Suarzez, then I can see us climbing the table, but the summer transfer window has given our rivals a 4 month head start in the league. I can see us reaching 6th, anything higher will be a hell of an achievement after the start we have had.

2 more months until we can MAYBE reinforce. The gap to the top 4 will be to much to claw back I fear, and the teams up there will be playing with confidence, and cohesion. We will be integrating starting 11 players AGAIN, and probably inconsistent at best.

Lets just get things moving in the right direction, chop some more dead wood out of the squad, and bring in players who merit the wage, and contribute on the pitch. We have 2 windows, before the start of next season, when to my mind we MUST be atleast aiming to crack the Top 4.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
I can't remember what I said originally, but I'm fairly sure it would have been either 6th or 7th.

I was also a bit surprised by Rodgers comments, goodness only knows what Rich will make of them, but to me it seemed like trying to dampen expectations a bit... although recent results have probably already done that for most people.

First question was a bit misleading - in the context of where we are as a club at this moment in time, I would class above 8th as a decent season - though I would expect a big improvement on that for Rodgers' second season.

I voted 8th for the finishing spot, although I feel that is probably the lowest we will end up. Anything above that, this season, is a bonus.

I also think that would be enough for the owners. I think they're realistic about where the club is at the moment, as is Rodgers. But I think how we end the season will be a factor for them... if we're absolutely shocking for the last 3-4 months in results AND performances, Rodgers might have a bit of an uncomfortable summer. If our second half of the season is fair, I think he'll be safe.

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Sort of feel these questions came at the wrong time, as an estimate after we've conducted dealings in January will feel more right.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Rodgers needs to stop using such dramatic statements when describing such lowered expectations.

A year ago our aim was top four. Now we're saying anything above 8th is "fantastic". It's all about Roy Hodgson for me.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Rodgers needs to stop using such dramatic statements when describing such lowered expectations.

A year ago our aim was top four. Now we're saying anything above 8th is "fantastic". It's all about Roy Hodgson for me.
I do agree a bit with this statement - his continuous praise is a little tiresome. That said - I do like the way he takes the wrap for bad decisions - yesterdays formation for example. Calling him Roy is a little harsh but I get what you mean

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
Think supporters need to be realistic this season is all about re-building and patience.

Too many people expect us to qualify for the CL and for miracles to happen with the youngsters in the squad.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
Think supporters need to be realistic this season is all about re-building and patience.

Too many people expect us to qualify for the CL and for miracles to happen with the youngsters in the squad.
The same can be said for the demand on wanting to spend large amounts of money on players!!!, fans have to come to terms the club has been going backwards for many years in which H&G turned into a runaway train, under them we nearly hit the buffers, with FSG they have managed to slam on the breaks and are trying to turn the club around.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
I picked 5th, downgraded to 7th now. Did not expect the transfer window to leave us weaker at our weakest position. With Borini out, we are simply stretched too thin let alone having options to change the pattern of a game.

DEVGRU

Banned for the umpteenth time
I picked 5th, downgraded to 7th now. Did not expect the transfer window to leave us weaker at our weakest position. With Borini out, we are simply stretched too thin let alone having options to change the pattern of a game.
Would still really like to know who screwed up big time on transfer day at the club........and what really transpired.

liveforthereds

asp67 twitter
DEVGRU I would say that it was inexperance of the manager and the owners wanting to cut out those on high wages that had no real chance of playing much under the new manager, the whole window was mishandled and hopefully lessons have been learned. I also think the owners may have tried to play hard ball with some clubs and got it wrong, again hopefully the lesson has been learned, only time will tell but we have two windows to put it right.

FreakLFC

Would still really like to know who screwed up big time on transfer day at the club........and what really transpired.
They were busy doing make up for Being Liverpool and trying to look good on screen. And Ayre was also probably memorizing his script for the documentary.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
I probably said 6th but other teams have improved, anything higher than 8th is solid anything lower would be depressing, I also think we will spend what we have and what we can pay.... That may mean our budget for the summer going in January however we would shift hopefully around 20m then.

If we get someone who can score then 6th if we don't 10th/11th

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
said 6th at the time and downgraded it to 7th. nothings changed. new manager, new system and less than spectacular investment. to be fair have to temper that with the impact of the breakthrough youths.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
I personally feel, if we get a decent Striker, we can push up the table. I've gone for 5th in faith that we'll do that - if not then I'll say 8th is probably the best we can achieve - unless Borinis broken foot surgery has included a sniper scope for getting the ball in the net....

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Its more to capture a snapshot of where we think we are today. I tried to keep the questions as neutral as possible as to not bias the results, but at the same time not be ambiguous.

11 games into the season I believe is a good time to have a poll (after a result which was neither overly positive or negative). It will provide a good contrast it with how the expectations change after the transfer window, and also come the end of the season.

It can be a positive, like Sahin clicking, Lucas coming back or FSG giving Rodgers 30M
It can be a negative, like Agger getting injured, signing Bendtner as our striker, FSG giving the dreaded vote of confidence

But if know expectations have changed and to what extent, we can try pin point when and what happened.

mpoletti

Bearded Rumour Mill Regista
I voted:
No
6th
No

Before the season started (so before the deadline day debacle) I believed we'd finish in the 5th-8th place range if we signed a top striker, and I don't categorize Clinton as a top striker.

We're now 11 games into the season and those people who still believe a top 4 finish is possible are being unrealistic in my opinion. It's fine and dandy to emotionally want us to finish in the top 4, but when you logically look at the team, the squad and our recent mediocre past, I believe 6th-8th is more realistic.

Expectations are a funny thing. Fans talk about patience, but you can already hear some people complain. Questioning results, tactics, substitutions, team selection and the such is perfectly acceptable, but then you have the other side where people are doing in to prove a point or stir the shit.

As for the owners. They fucked up. They are not an ownership group that will play FIFA with the club, but they fucked up by not bringing in another striker. There are plenty of rumors saying the funds were there for the investment in a younger striker, but actions are what they are. Does that mean that I want them to sell to a Qatar royal family? I don't really care who owns the club as long as we're not getting taken into financial hell again.

There are places where I can see things I haven't seen in recent seasons that provide me hope and enjoyment, but there are also those same problems that do my head in.

Just curious, Does anyone know how many goals we've given up on corners in the last 3 years? I believe it was 6 last season. I hate when give up corners for that reason.

King Aldo

TIA Squad Member

No - people are just hacked off that we are left trying to qualify for CL with youngsters. That's the material point.

Nobody expects the current crop to be able to challenge for CL - what you see is frustration about watching a team of inexperienced players doing their damnedest to get a result but the job is simply too big for them at this stage of their careers.

We are only 8 points a CL spot, a couple of goals more would have reduced that to less than 4 points at worst ... how does the paltry £7m saved on Dempsey or the couple mill saved on AC's salary compare to missing out on a CL spot now ... ridiculous decisions that get reinforced how ridiculous they were with every game we play.

I'm p*££ed off with the owners / Ayre over that, and am also still disgusted that KK was given the boot for "failure" in the league when in all likelihood we are going to have a much worse season than we did last year. As things stand right now I can't see any European football at all for LFC next season, another step backwards in terms of experience and revenue. BR is doing his best but you can't gain success by talking about a 3 year plan. He needs resources and he needs to be supported in each and every transfer window to get back to competing for top honours.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
We are only 8 points a CL spot, a couple of goals more would have reduced that to less than 4 points at worst ... how does the paltry £7m saved on Dempsey or the couple mill saved on AC's salary compare to missing out on a CL spot now ... ridiculous decisions that get reinforced how ridiculous they were with every game we play.
I would suggest that their performances elsewhere indicate we didn't really miss out. I think better options are available in January, and we should all just sit back and see what happens then.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Don't see us finishing anything higher than 10 with current team. I still don't think we will finish anything higher than 7th, even with new addition coming in on January window. It would be a mountain to climb if results don't come quickly. 11 games and we have 2 wins spell trouble.

RedJacko

TIA Youth Team
8th would not be a fantastic season, regardless of the football we play and the youngest that have been blooded.

Its been proven a successful transfer window can turn a season on its head and a good second half to the season can push teams up a number of positions in the league. We have an opportunity to take advantage of this, FSG need to back the manager.

I wanna see what Brendan Rodgers can do with even half of the money made available to Kenny Dalglish.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I wanna see what Brendan Rodgers can do with even half of the money made available to Kenny Dalglish.
You are actually looking at it now though, judging by how much they spend and make through the transfer of players.

RedJacko

TIA Youth Team
You are actually looking at it now though, judging by how much they spend and make through the transfer of players.
True, I suppose its an after thought and 'what ifs' but with the vast array of talent in europe at the moment, and knowing the whole 'buy british' policy failed miserably, could you imagine the players that could be brought in if he had say, £25m at his disposal? That could be 2 proven, attacking talents.

Prolix

Long Time Nemesis™
Ad-free Member
could you imagine the players that could be brought in if he had say, £25m at his disposal? That could be 2 proven, attacking talents.
?

Fabio Borini - ~£10m
Joe Allen - ~£15m

Unless you mean £25m again, so around £50m total?

RedJacko

TIA Youth Team
?

Fabio Borini - ~£10m
Joe Allen - ~£15m

Unless you mean £25m again, so around £50m total?
Well with the departures of Maxi Kuyt Bellamy Aquilani and Adam, the amount we saved on wages and the near 10m we got for them yes thats exactly what I mean.

If you add Aurelio to that list we let go of 6 first team players and brought in the 2 you mentioned plus youngsters from our youth team. Hardly added to the squad, it just looks better because we have younger players in the squad, and the occasional sub standard performance can be put down to their age.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
First of all: Finishing 8th in the league is never a fantastic achievement for a big club.

Second of all: Context. I wouldn't take that "fantastic" quote literally. Brendan says that word almost as often as he says "ok". I interpreted it as him saying it would be proof of us doing something right if finish higher than last season. Which I agree with.

Where we finish in the league this season isn't a great concern for me though. What I want to see is signs of a good team being formed before next season, and good performances. I voted 7th, just for the hell of it.

Will FSG see finishing around 8th as good enough? Depends what you mean. I don't think they're here to collect mid-table finishes, but I think they are realistic enough to see the challenges we're facing. One thing I'm certain of is that they won't fire Brendan, regardless of where we finish this season. There's a reason why they hired him, and they will back him as long as they believe in his methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.