• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

FA Cup Fifth Round. Chelsea vs Liverpool. Tues Mar 3rd 1945hrs.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Once more......

I think Klopp will see this as an opportunity to exorcise the ghosts of Watford.....
Adrian in goal, Williams Matip VVD and Milner (if fit). Chiverela, Keita and Jones in midfield. Elliot Salah and Mane up front.
A hybrid team of past rounds and players who can play themselves into confidence. VVD in as he might need to redevelop his partnership with Matip.

This is another chance at silverware, at the business end of a terrific season to date.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
A few changes, but motivated more by existing promises to the younger lads than a need for rotation.

Adrian
Williams Matip Van Dijk Robertson
Fabinho
Wijnaldum Jones
Elliot Salah Mane​

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I do hope some of the reserves get a chance - but def need some 1st team in too. Balancing act. Go strong and get the momentum going - we've been sluggish since the break.

Be nice to bag this cup too - or even get to the final.

Dutch

Ad-free Member
I would put Becker in goal and I would like to see Minamino as our nr. 9l. The rest can Klopp decide. :p

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Not sure that we'll see a total change of the line-up. It will probably be a mix-up of fit enough first-team starters, squaddies and maybe a couple of youngsters (Jones, and maybe one of the young full-backs). Of course, Klopp might also decide that his first-teamers must come out of their current slump by playing more games together, we'll see.

Either way, what is important is to show a reaction after Saturday's no-show. I expect a good performance from the lads. It's a miracle that we are at this stage anyway, so the message to the players would be to take this unexpected chance to find back a bit of joy on the pitch, and play some genuine football.

My guess on the starting line-up:

Origi Bobby Mané
Jones Lallana
Fabinho
Robbo VVD Matip Williams
Adrian​

Fabinho has been shite since coming back, but he needs games and there isn't much choice anyway, with Hendo still out. Salah on the bench, to create havoc with his pace later on in the game. The boy TAA needs a little break imo, so Williams to come in for him. Of course, Matip comes in for Lovren if he's fit enough. Adrian deserves to start.

The result will be what it will be, and we'll live with it. It's not the most important thing. A better performance is required though, that's the minimum we can expect, and what Klopp will most definitely expect from his players.

Last edited:

MarcusBerglund

I think we will see a lot of changes in this match, still we will know more after Klopp's presser today.

Adrian will definitely start and Matip will surely play if fit. Neco Williams had injury problems /that's why Hoever was on the bench vs. Watford/ and I have no idea if he will be ready for Cheslea. If he is fit enough to start, he will play.

In midfield I agree with Hope and think that Fabinho must start, he needs matches and rhythm, Fab was injured for 2 months, then he had a nice holliday and he has started only 14 PL games. More matches and practice for him.
Lallana will also start, he was great vs. Everton and last Saturday Adam was the only bright spark for our midfield. If Milner is fit, he can play. Keita is in the same position as James. Pedro also deserves a start, he has massively improved his overal game and at the moment I think that he deserves being part of our squad for PL matches and a new contract.

Jones also deserves a start after his heroics in the FA cup and he can and will play probably play on the left side of our attack. Minamino and Origi look like the other logical choices. They need matches and more practice.

The two positions where I am not 100% who will start are:

1. central defence /who will partner Matip, I bet that VvD will be rested for this game, so it will be Gomez or Lovren/

and

2. left back /the lack of adequate cover for Andy is a problem for Klopp and in my opinion it was a mistake not to sign a dependable left back last summer/.

My guess for the starting eleven:

Adrian; Williams - Matip - Lovren - Milner; Fabinho - Chirivella - Lallana; Jones - Minamino - Origi;

If Williams is unavailable I guess we will see Hoever. If Milner is not ready, I believe Robbo will still be rested and Klopp could play Larouci. Elliott has been good for us and maybe he will play, but not from the start.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
Chirivella has done well when given the chance; I’d put him in for Fabinho. That’s the only change I’d make to your selection; good team, that.
Ah, you're right, forgot about him. I agree, put him in. Fabinho needs to realise that he has to perform in order to start games, and Pedro has been excellent when given a chance.

RodM

I think Klopp will be putting out a strong team for this one with maybe one or two rested where they haven't been up to speed lately - possibly benched depending on how the match progresses.

If anything, I think we may see some first choice players playing tonight and rotated against Bournemouth.

We'll probably get some idea of the plans from the press conference but for all the talk of priorities, I really want to win this one. The cup was such a big deal when I was growing up that I want to see my club's name on it again.

rockafella

Registered before you did
Personally, I feel you either go full first xi or full second xi (as in Origi, Matip, Lallana etc). I'd go full strength. but I doubt it'll happen.

After Lovren was being so Lovren on Saturday, I wouldn't be totally surprised to see VVD start. If you'd have asked me on Friday, I'd have been convinced it would've been Matip and Lovren.

redalways

TIA Regular
Am I the only one who's dreading a hybrid team? Seems like the kids do better when they're on their own... Even against Aston Villa, they still played really well, despite being mostly U18s...

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
Am I the only one who's dreading a hybrid team? Seems like the kids do better when they're on their own... Even against Aston Villa, they still played really well, despite being mostly U18s...
I’m really keen to see how Elliot and Jones do in a team of seniors. Playing alongside other U23s is ok, but I want to know how close these kids are to first team quality.

redalways

TIA Regular
I’m really keen to see how Elliot and Jones do in a team of seniors. Playing alongside other U23s is ok, but I want to know how close these kids are to first team quality.
I share the sentiment, but I'd rather that be in the situation where they are eased into the team, e.g. as a late sub in league games (as Jones has already done) in a competitive team, rather than one that we're just throwing in our squad players for. As it stands, it's highly likely that at least Williams will get the nod again, as will probably Chirivella, but also Matip and Lovren. Too much of a mix between youth players and seniors tends to produce our worst performances in cup games, I feel.

El Cuchillero

Més que un pedantic shit.
I'd go 'Full Strength' feat. Neco, Curt and Harv.

The loss to Watford has sort of rejuvenated my interest in these next couple games - not that my interest was waning exactly, but confidence staled into over-confidence, and I was taking the wins as a given, waiting impatiently to right wrongs when Atleti visit.

Hopefully it will have had the same effect on the lads, we'll come out in anger, and wipe the floor with the rents boys along with the thoroughly undeserved smirks off the faces of anyone anticipating praying for a collapse.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
I would like to see us go strong and get some form going but I suspect this will be a mix and match selection similar to the first game against Shrewsbury. I get the feeling that everything is being done with half an eye on the Atletico game. Cautious selections with players being left out for 'minor health reasons' i.e. Gomez. Chelsea will likely be strong. Lampard is a big fan of the FA Cup because of the link with his dad and he always picked strong teams when he was at Derby even though it may have harmed their promotion bid. Also, they are definitely going out of the CL.

Klopp said both Milner and Gomez are back. Naby and Henderson out. Elliott is playing with the U-19s tomorrow so not available. He doesn't think there's a problem with rhythm but mistakes cost us against Watford and we have to be better at getting in behind deep blocks. I doubt Chelsea will be low-blocking tomorrow. Not something they generally do. We'll get a result one way or the other on the night so I'm expecting it to be an entertaining, open game. I'm looking forward to it.

jaffod

Adrian
Williams Matip Lovren u/23 player.
Fabinho
Lallana Jones
Elliot Origi Minamino
More or less the team I'd play except I'd give Chirivella a start over Fabinho. Milner is back so maybe play him LB.

Bournemouth is far more important than this so no chances should be taken.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
I think Matip would have started Watford if Klopp felt he could do two matches back to back after a decent amount of time out injured. For that reason, I am almost certain he starts this match. I wouldn't be surprised to see Virgil start alongside him. Gomez will be kept on ice and saved for Bournemouth. Lovren is unlikely to play 2 matches back to back, but Klopp might give him a chance to redeem himself. Adrian will also start in goal, but the rest is pretty unknown.

I'm expecting a blend of young players and first team players who have struggled for game time and others who are coming back from time out injured.

Adrian

Williams
Matip
Virgil
Robertson

Oxlade Chamberlain
Milner
Lallana

Minamino
Origi
Mane

SUBS:
Kelleher
Lovren
Gomez
Chrivella
Fabinho
Salah
Firmino

costared

TIA Reserve Team
For me :
Adrian
Williams
Gomez
VVD
Robertson
---------
Milner
Fabinho
Jones
-----------
Salah
Firminho
Mane.

Subs--
TAA
Matip
Ox
Chiravella
Origi.

I would like to leave out Robbo as well but the only way to do that would be to play Milner at LB and I would want him RMF to support Neco Williams.

WooltonRed

TIA Youth Team
What’s the latest on Shaqiri? Where the hell is he? Has he jumped on the ‘self quarantined’ bandwagon?