• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Fabinho - Welcome to Liverpool FC

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Oh! come on Eddie we have only spent around £40 million surely that's not good enough?
Reiterate again that I am not and has never been the one that claimed we had £200m to splurge and expected the club to do so.... I however have always maintained our budget is around £40+ million. Perhaps it's a bit early and probably have not taken your daily meds... go get some and come back. :well done:

FilthyBloke

Undervalued member.
I’m not gonna lie, I know very little about this player. I don’t follow French football at all.
Is he a better player or a better fit than Can? I suppose that’s all that matters as he is pretty much a replacement.

Flobs

FADA
Reiterate again that I am not and has never been the one that claimed we had £200m to splurge and expected the club to do so.... I however have always maintained our budget is around £40+ million. Perhaps it's a bit early and probably have not taken your daily meds... go get some and come back. :well done:
I think your getting the wrong end of the stick Eddie. That's not at all my point (and my apologies if that is how you took it).
Put it this way, what are you going to do for the rest of the transfer window?
Surely you'll follow a few rumors at least.
We appear to have filled that elusive DM position surely there's other areas even you would like to be filled, no?

RedForever2014

Tbh, I am astonished in the way the club covertly handled this, no Merseyside journalist had a sniff of this transfer story. From what you are describing about his skills, he sounds just what we need. We have a stronger and more dynamic midfield. I still hope that there will be room for AOC to play regularly.
It was executed just as it should be and he is a very exciting signing from what I'm reading. He's the type of player I love.

I wouldn't worry about playing time Maria. Injuries, suspensions, form, the need for rotation, all naturally take care of that.

Think back to the start of the season, we had 7 midfielders after signing Oxlade (Hendo, Gini, Milner, Can, Lallana, Oxlade, Grujic).

Can you remember any time during the season when all were fit and available and in similar form and one of them was getting deeply frustrated? Lallana's injuries ended up being season long, Oxlade was hit and miss before Xmas, Milner wasn't used much pre Xmas.

After Coutinho went Oxlade and Milner came into play, then Can's season effectively ended in March. Grujic obviously didn't impress enough to be used more and was shipped out on loan in January.

The trick to being successful is to ensure you have quality depth, knowing they'll not all be fit and available all the time during a season, and let the squad naturally evolve each summer, with a player joining and someone else deciding to leave to play more.

Elessar

I’m not gonna lie, I know very little about this player. I don’t follow French football at all.
Is he a better player or a better fit than Can? I suppose that’s all that matters as he is pretty much a replacement.
He is much better than Can. It is interesting that he play in the Henderson position so it isn't Can he is replacing. He is replacing Henderson in the starting XI if we continue to play the same tactic and system next season. Keita is the Can replacement.

RedForever2014

He's a better fit for the DM role than Can!
One other advantage of Fabinho is that against the likes of Lukaku, he'll be the one to stand in front of the defence and challenge such forwards in the air, allowing the centre backs to stand off and sweep up any flick-ons that do get through, instead of the flick-ons reaching an empty space and an on-rushing unchallenged forward.

It allows you to keep a player like Lovren at centre back, a very mobile player who sometimes gets done in the air, but has other attributes that complement VVD and a good DM.

RedForever2014

He is much better than Can. It is interesting that he play in the Henderson position so it isn't Can he is replacing. He is replacing Henderson in the starting XI if we continue to play the same tactic and system next season. Keita is the Can replacement.
What we're effectively doing is switching the type of player in 6 and 8. We now have a tall DM who is kind of a sitting third centre back in front of the defence in a defensive sense, but also able to drive on Can style with the ball, and we now have a ball hunter Mascherano type alongside him in Keita.

Of course Gini and Hendo are very valid and valuable alternatives, both able to play both 6 and 8, albeit slightly differently to Keita and Fabinho.

In fact, three of the four can play 6 or 8, with only Keita not really being a 6, but all four able to play alongside each other in different ways.

I've a slight nervousness about whether we'll do what I hope hence forth, but if we do end up with a top class 10 and another quality forward, maybe two, we'll have fantastic options in midfield and attack, just what we need to compete on several fronts using Klopp's style.

Sign Fekir and a quality winger come striker and the pain of Saturday will start to properly fade, and we can start to view Saturday as the point when the club announced itself on the big stage, suffered that painful first major defeat that all developing sides have to experience, and then kick on to an era of success with exactly the right signings.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
We appear to have filled that elusive DM position surely there's other areas even you would like to be filled, no?
Here's the thing. Keita is coming in, and we have signed Fabinho. Leaving the club is Can. If we just add one more forward that could take up what Sturridge and Origi should be doing, we are set to go. As long as we don't go selling our best players this summer, we don't need anymore addition, not even Karius' spot.

So no, I don't go into a transfer window expecting us to buy truck loads. Buy to fill the gaps that needed quality. All that £200m to spend nonsense coming out of Reddy and co never interest me at all.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Here's the thing. Keita is coming in, and we have signed Fabinho. Leaving the club is Can. If we just add one more forward that could take up what Sturridge and Origi should be doing, we are set to go. As long as we don't go selling our best players this summer, we don't need anymore addition, not even Karius' spot.

So no, I don't go into a transfer window expecting us to buy truck loads. Buy to fill the gaps that needed quality. All that £200m to spend nonsense coming out of Reddy and co never interest me at all.
Why is 200m outrageous?

Personally I think we'll break through the £200m mark.

Keita, Fabinho and Fekir will account for £150m straightaway.

I think in addition to that Klopp will be looking for a wide player and a goalkeeper.

Depending how you view it, this is Klopp's third or fourth season, and I think he needs to be 'completing' his team and embarking on a serious challenge. I don't think the intention is to head into this season with any gaps, and I certainly think the money is there for Klopp if he needs it.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Why is 200m outrageous?

I think in addition to that Klopp will be looking for a wide player and a goalkeeper.

Depending how you view it, this is Klopp's third or fourth season, and I think he needs to be 'completing' his team and embarking on a serious challenge. I don't think the intention is to head into this season with any gaps, and I certainly think the money is there for Klopp if he needs it.
Eddie's probably talking about the figure being thrown about last summer.

Noo Noo

Why is 200m outrageous?

You mention gaps and that is exactly right. I'm actually interested to see how Klopp intends to cater for those players who are known to struggle over the length of a whole season. Lovren, Lallana, Henderson to name 3, all have their injury hiccups and miss a fair chunk of games. Can VvD go a whole season?

All of this is entwined with adding much needed depth. So far we're plus one in midfield which based on this season might not be enough!

Of course there's the young players too.

UpTheReds

I'm fairly certain it hasn't entered Klopp's thinking to sell Lallana this summer... you only have to hear him speak about him to see how highly the gaffer rates him. I was a little taken a back actually by how effusive he was. If it was Rodgers a little two-facedness wouldn't surprise me, but Klopp plays a straight bat so have no doubt his admiration for Lallana is genuine.
I think if Bournemouth or someone comes in with a significant offer, selling will be seriously considered if Lallana wants to go. But I don't think they'll be looking to offload.

Klopp talks up everyone, and I don't think it is two facedness, I think he just looks for the good in all of his players and tries to make them the best they can be. I think he loves to train players more than anything in the job other than winning.

RedForever2014

Why is 200m outrageous?

Totally agree. Now is the time to cement ourselves as a top European club by spending on the team/squad.

I hope Klopp stays beyond his current contact, ideally seeing 5 years of success with this side and then building the next before he leaves.

But three years in, with many of our current squad about to peak, we need the finals pieces such that if we don't win trophies next season and beyond, it's not because of gaps in the squad, which is why we didn't win a trophy this season.

Aside from the keeper issue, if needs be I can live with the current defence, even if some are too injury prone. I think with a better midfield and rotatable attack, meaning we dominate possession in all matches, the current defence is acceptable. Ideally we'd swap a centre back, but it's not the most important thing to do.

But we definitely need about 14 rotatable options for midfield/attack. Add Fekir to Fabinho and Keita and midfield is sorted, with 8 good options after Can goes and Grujic goes back on loan.

In the forwards, we need that third and 4th quality option. I'd let Ings leave to free up wages and raise a bit of cash, and consider Solanke and maybe Origi for the 3rd/4th striker squad role.

But we need at least four similar level options for the front three, with Fekir and Oxlade able to move up there too if required.

UpTheReds

Followed Monaco when they had Mbappe running the league, this fella is what we need in our anchor midfield. Never in my wildest imagination that we are going to get him with Man City, Chelsea and PSG all eyeing him. We were in for Lemar and out of nowhere it was this fella we were trying to get instead of Lemar. We threw everyone around us off their game in this move, scouts in Monaco, instead of poaching Lemar it's Fabinho. Fucking wonderful.
I'm not sure how serious the club was about Lemar. I think that was mainly Arsenal. And certainly the way Fabinho performed and his effort level this year compared to Lemar would have made a big difference for the scouts and everyone else at Liverpool. Klopp made mention of his professionalism and diligence in training.

big noyd

Salah and Mane fit a Reus filter (basically non-strikers that get shots in the box, tackle, dribble, and convert at a decent rate
fekir doesn't have the same pace but seems to tick some of the same statistical boxes

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
I think if Bournemouth or someone comes in with a significant offer, selling will be seriously considered if Lallana wants to go. But I don't think they'll be looking to offload.

Klopp talks up everyone, and I don't think it is two facedness, I think he just looks for the good in all of his players and tries to make them the best they can be. I think he loves to train players more than anything in the job other than winning.
FYI I didn't say Klopp is two-faced, quite the opposite, he calls it as he sees it and is honest. Rodgers on the other hand...

Seriously though, watch this vid of him talking about each member of the CL squad in turn, and his valuation of Lallana far outstrips anything he says about the others, and you'll see what I mean:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/302532-champions-league-final-jurgen-klopp-liverpool-fc-squad

RedForever2014

Lallana is the one I'd sell if we need to. He can't play CM proper, he's not good enough as the 10 at the level we need, he's not quick enough to play front three.

Given his age and injury record, if someone offers £30m I'd be tempted to take it, as long as we've signed Fekir of course.

But ideally we keep him a season, along with Milner, to help the transition of the new boys, and help us have a good go at the domestic cups.

big noyd

Seriously though, watch this vid of him talking about each member of the CL squad in turn, and his valuation of Lallana far outstrips anything he says about the others, and you'll see what I mean:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/302532-champions-league-final-jurgen-klopp-liverpool-fc-squad
i remember klopp talking about the younger players being almost in awe on the training pitch, and his example was 'oh, there's adam lallana'

really struck me that lallana was the first name he went for

UpTheReds

FYI I didn't say Klopp is two-faced, quite the opposite, he calls it as he sees it and is honest. Rodgers on the other hand...

Oh I know and I've seen the video. Obviously in the video he's not going to say "ah he's ruuuubbish!" but I think it's just his way to say these are my players and they all have strengths and my job is to get the most out of them...until the day they aren't his players anymore.

He does talk up Lallana but you can see with the signings that have been made and pursuing Fekir that even if healthy there might be less match time for Lallana even if he's healthy, which let's be honest often he's not. Bournemouth (or the like) would be smart to look at that and put in a cheeky bid and see where he sees himself. Like Lucas Leiva, I think Klopp would be happy to keep him, but if he wanted to go, wouldn't stand in his way.

I can just see how one might say "well Klopp talks up everyone, isn't that two-faced"? Well, no not if he actually is positive about everyone. :) It's also convenient that we have a club concept on transfers rather the manager doing it all -- Klopp can be positive while the club is looking for replacements. Basically the scouts and analysts' job is to look for players better than the ones on hand now (or that could be someday), no matter how good they are.

I'm just not going to say anything about Rodgers because it's not really relevant. He's doing well where he is and that's fine, though hopefully Stevie can knock them down 1 notch in the future. :)

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
From the Echo:

Arsenal Wanted Fab
Arsenal made a late attempt to hijack Liverpool’s deal for Fabinho, Sky Sports reported last night.

Unai Emery is a long-term admirer of the player and wanted to make him his first signing as Gunners boss. With this in mind, Arsenal made advances over the weekend.

Happily, Fabinho revealed to Emery that he had made up his mind and would be joining the Reds.

You snooze, you lose, Arsenal!

---------

This is particularly satisfying for me, as I was horrified how we seemingly went for Sanchez so late on when Arsenal had been pursuing him for months and had no Plan B when he went there instead... our transfer acumen is now the polar opposite of that, which gives me warm feelings inside.

Livvy

Alles wird gut
Thank you Bobby Firmino for helping us get Fabinho to LFC. Nice one Bobby

Credit to our gaffer Klopp, he always makes an effort to meet the players and talk to them well before they sign for the club.
Firmino has joined the Brasil squad in London this morning Maria, this picture is from a year ago and is only been used to make something up here tbf.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team

I wouldn't read much into it. It just sweet talk about the pesky neighbor.lol

UpTheReds

Lallana is the one I'd sell if we need to. He can't play CM proper, he's not good enough as the 10 at the level we need, he's not quick enough to play front three.

Given his age and injury record, if someone offers £30m I'd be tempted to take it, as long as we've signed Fekir of course.

But ideally we keep him a season, along with Milner, to help the transition of the new boys, and help us have a good go at the domestic cups.
After what happened this season, I don't think Klopp will be trying to sell. Lucas would have been handy to have late on this year, though I understand why leaving was the best move for him and I'm glad he had a very good year as a first-XI player. Was one of my favorite players to watch and was a bit surprised that Klopp didn't play him more. I thought he would be the new Sven Bender and had that ability. I thought there was a chance he would be a captain or vice. Not how it worked out.

UpTheReds

From the Echo:

Arsenal Wanted Fab
Arsenal made a late attempt to hijack Liverpool’s deal for Fabinho, Sky Sports reported last night.

Unai Emery is a long-term admirer of the player and wanted to make him his first signing as Gunners boss. With this in mind, Arsenal made advances over the weekend.

Happily, Fabinho revealed to Emery that he had made up his mind and would be joining the Reds.

You snooze, you lose, Arsenal!

---------

This is particularly satisfying for me, as I was horrified how we seemingly went for Sanchez so late on when Arsenal had been pursuing him for months and had no Plan B when he went there instead... our transfer acumen is now the polar opposite of that, which gives me warm feelings inside.
Came out ahead anyway with Sadio (not at the time, obviously). Fortunate that Southampton had to play him out of position and made him look less good than he is as a winger. He was basically young Alexis. I think a lot of Alexis Classic's problems this year are down to Mourinho, certainly better than that, but Mane every bit the value if not more.

And you get a free ticket to Mane's Mimicry School. :)

Totally agree with the current transfer acumen -- as said elsewhere, LFC is f*cking great at transfers these days. I'm just going to stop there lest I jinx it! :)

Zinedine Biscan

Ad-free Member
After what happened this season, I don't think Klopp will be trying to sell. Lucas would have been handy to have late on this year, though I understand why leaving was the best move for him and I'm glad he had a very good year as a first-XI player. Was one of my favorite players to watch and was a bit surprised that Klopp didn't play him more. I thought he would be the new Sven Bender and had that ability. I thought there was a chance he would be a captain or vice. Not how it worked out.
With Lucas, I think those knee injuries had just robbed him of the dynamism players need in order to do what Klopp requires of them. Nice lad, and he's moved to a league that will probably extend his playing career by a year or two.

I agree that I don't think players will be forced out this summer (outfield players at least), as adding both quality AND depth is required. And I think we can probably all list the names most likely to be shifted to make way, and it's those that have barely contributed for varying reasons - off the top of my head Sturridge, Flanagan, Mignolet, Bogdan, Can (already going), Markovic, Randall. Then there's those with a slight question mark who may or may not go - Origi, Ings, Ward, Kent.

No big surprises, and some of the latter group may well be kept and loaned instead. The rest stay.