Fabinho - Welcome to Liverpool FC

UpTheReds

fekir doesn't have the same pace but seems to tick some of the same statistical boxes
Different positionally. Like Firmino, Fekir *can* play a wing position, but it's not his best use. But you're right that the production is there. To me what makes Firmino really stand out and ideal for Liverpool is his defensive work, and Fekir does similar work where very few in attacking roles do.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Agent fees are more or less bribes and Fabinho have one of the so called super agents as his agent. They don't do deals if you don't "pay" them enough if you want a player like Fabinho. Why do you think he didn't leak anything about the deal to get a higher transfer fee?

You know as well as me what the answer is.
Agents fees are not bribes.

Agents don't tend to leak deals in the press to get higher transfer fees, they tend to leak things in the press to agitate the supporter base and to make their player's position at a club increasingly untenable. Presumably Monaco would be in on this too, eh? There were several clubs purported to be interested in Fabinho - is it possible we paid a fee to gain a period of exclusivity? Yes but that's a contractual payment, just like the agent's fees will be once the transfer is agreed. A bribe is something that's illegal - these payments are not.

Maria

Champions of Europe VI
Firmino has joined the Brasil squad in London this morning Maria, this picture is from a year ago and is only been used to make something up here tbf.
Omg! Maria slaps forehead in embarrassment! That's put my hopes down then.

UpTheReds

With Lucas, I think those knee injuries had just robbed him of the dynamism players need in order to do what Klopp requires of them. Nice lad, and he's moved to a league that will probably extend his playing career by a year or two.

I agree that I don't think players will be forced out this summer (outfield players at least), as adding both quality AND depth is required. And I think we can probably all list the names most likely to be shifted to make way, and it's those that have barely contributed for varying reasons - off the top of my head Sturridge, Flanagan, Mignolet, Bogdan, Can (already going), Markovic, Randall. Then there's those with a slight question mark who may or may not go - Origi, Ings, Ward, Kent.

No big surprises, and some of the latter group may well be kept and loaned instead. The rest stay.
Yeah I don't disagree. We don't see what goes on after training (or at least I don't). Maybe he was really struggling to keep going, needing a lot of post-work treatment, etc. I don't know. Completely agree that moving on was best for him, just saying that he could have still had a role to play this year if that had been his preference. I think Lallana will be in a similar position. I would be surprised if there aren't clubs asking.

I think you have the list about right. I wouldn't be surprised if Moreno wants to leave to pursue a first XI role, and with his contract going down it would make sense to let him and sign a developmental LB unless Adam Lewis is ready (I doubt it, but i would have doubted that Trent was ready as well). Don't know much about him, but Betis has a young guy that came into the team in the last 1/3 of the season and did really well. PNE's Josh Earl would be an intriguing one to look at from the Championship. Much different type from Robertson (1.95m for one!). One of the fortunate challenges of having an entrenched 23 year old left back is that finding someone to understudy him becomes quite difficult!

Noo Noo

Agents fees are not bribes.

Agents don't tend to leak deals in the press to get higher transfer fees, they tend to leak things in the press to agitate the supporter base and to make their player's position at a club increasingly untenable. Presumably Monaco would be in on this too, eh? There were several clubs purported to be interested in Fabinho - is it possible we paid a fee to gain a period of exclusivity? Yes but that's a contractual payment, just like the agent's fees will be once the transfer is agreed. A bribe is something that's illegal - these payments are not.
Found this which might help your case

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-football-agents-normal-commission-on-transfer-fees-and-player-salaries

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Why is 200m outrageous?
We've spent much more than that if you don't count the amount we recoup.... Even Spurs spent some £90-100m last summer if you don't count the amount they make from sales. What outrageous is the report from Reddy and Pearce about the owners putting up £200m outlay for the club to spend on top of sale. And here we go again, going back to the same discussion when we had just signed one of the best anchor midfielder in Europe. I am surprised..... even my discussion with Flobs about what he thinks of how I felt with this signing, my expectations, actually grind you the wrong way.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
I'm really pleased, relieved and even surprised with Fabinho signing...

Having now looked at what he does and how he plays - its exactly what we've needed. We've not really had a true No 6 this season - Hendo and Can are more attack minded.. they are not in the mould of Matic, Carrick or Viera which is what Fabinho reminds me of.

I thought for a moment that Klopp was looking at not signing a true No 6 but in his grand future vision of the game, the defence would do this job, and his midfielders would only be attack minded. A bit like how so many teams now only play with one striker or the 433 formation as opposed to 442.

But really glad we've got this over the line, without a fuss, super secretive and super quick...

Fab will need a little time to get into the groove of the prem, but I am sure he is going to be huge.

Noo Noo

We've spent much more than that if you don't count the amount we recoup.... Even Spurs spent some £90-100m last summer if you don't count the amount they make from sales. What outrageous is the report from Reddy and Pearce about the owners putting up £200m outlay for the club to spend on top of sale. And here we go again, going back to the same discussion when we had just signed one of the best anchor midfielder in Europe. I am surprised..... even my discussion with Flobs about what he thinks of how I felt with this signing, my expectations, actually grind you the wrong way.

How is that outrageous if the club can afford it?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
How is that outrageous if the club can afford it?
It is outrageous because the owners did not give £200m+whatever we recouped from sales as being reported over and over again in every single summer. Only City, United and Chelsea did that..... Get it?

Holy crap, why do I have to repeat my explanation and clarify it over and over again? Every damn summer the owners didn't give us £200m on top of what we have to sell to spend. Last 2 summer not even close. Last 4 windows, miles away from the mark! Damn.... Be happy with Fabinho shall we?

Noo Noo

It is outrageous because the owners did not give £200m+whatever we recouped from sales as being reported over and over again in every single summer. Only City, United and Chelsea did that..... Get it?

Holy crap, why do I have to repeat my explanation and clarify it over and over again? Every damn summer the owners didn't give us £200m on top of what we have to sell to spend. Last 2 summer not even close. Last 4 windows, miles away from the mark! Damn.... Be happy with Fabinho shall we?
The counter argument to that is that we haven't really spent anything significant when you look at sales and buys over the last few seasons. Just because they haven't doesn't mean it isn't there. Perhaps after all there is a coffer available to Klopp. I cant say because I haven't studied the accounts or seen the bank balance. Have you?

But actually, like you filling gaps in the squad is more important to me than what the number is. However, our squad has been proven to be thin and I'd rather not step back to Rafa's days where the first 11 was great and the bench was several steps lower in quality. We still have lots of gaps that could be filled.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
The counter argument
What's the point to that though? It's reality that there are no £200m plus sales, and keep claiming it and try to argue way out of it does not make it a reality.

Am I angry we don't do what was claimed by Reddy and Pearce? NO. Do I blame it on the owners? NO I AM NOT. I am taking the piss on those ITKs, the journalists who put out such claims without having known exactly what the owners are working on and what the manager has to work with. Why is there a need for the lot in here to argue on behalf of those reporters/journalists is beyond me.

Unless you're one of the ITKs or journalists that make those claims and take me to task I get it. But none of you were... so why irritated with it? I just don't get it... really.

Noo Noo

What's the point to that though? It's reality that there are no £200m plus sales, and keep claiming it and try to argue way out of it does not make it a reality.

Am I angry we don't do what was claimed by Reddy and Pearce? NO. Do I blame it on the owners? NO I AM NOT. I am taking the piss on those ITKs, the journalists who put out such claims without having known exactly what the owners are working on and what the manager has to work with. Why is there a need for the lot in here to argue on behalf of those reporters/journalists is beyond me.

Unless you're one of the ITKs or journalists that make those claims and take me to task I get it. But none of you were... so why irritated with it? I just don't get it... really.
Yeah but you don't know either and I'm not in the slightest bit irritated. I agree it's improbable but our transfer targets / rumours are starting to suggest a pretty decent spend this season.

But as I said I don't care what they say because they don't really know either and the number doesn't bother me provided that player can actually contribute. The fascination with the transfer budget for me brings back too many bad memories of Statler and Waldorf who played that card like a marketing tool.

My point is that anyone suggests that we're going t spend big you argue otherwise. Maybe we will, we have with VvD. Another £40m went out today and there's plenty to suggest we haven't finished.

King Kev

I took a look at some forums of AS Monaco today. He is highly rated and highly regarded there. Some have been hailing him as a legend after his transfer was announced. Most of the supporters there seem sad that he is leaving but they claim he has earned his move. In comparison, Lemar has been getting severe criticisms for his performances this season.

Read that he has 17 successful penalties out of 17 taken to his credit there.

vjcpatriot

I LOVE LOVE the signing of Fabinho!

He is exactly the strong, dominating, and physical midfield presence that Liverpool has been lacking.

I look forward to him shielding our front 4 and also contributing to the attack by threading passes when needed.

He is really strong in aerial battles so he helps us not just in the defence but as a presence on set pieces.

Fabinho's presence will allow our other creative midfielders such as Keita to attack with confidence.

He has also scored 22 goals over the past 3 seasons, so he will chip in offensively as well.

I can't think of a player better suited for our squad right now. Brilliant first summer signing by Klopp and LFC's transfer department!

Thank you for granting me one of my top wishlist players!

Welcome to LFC, Fabinho!

YNWA!

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin

I can only speak for myself Eddie, but I've always thought that Klopp has a big summer in his back pocket when he needs it.

I don't think that the owners are up for £200m every year, but considering Klopp's net spend as Liverpool Manager is something like 55m (including Fabinho and Keita) against 120m of 'annual budgets', fuck knows how much premier league prize money and 60m ish from the CL run, I don't think it's a problem if Klopp wants to spend £120m this summer.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I can only speak for myself Eddie, but I've always thought that Klopp has a big summer in his back pocket when he needs it.
And I hope this is the summer when we spend £150m without selling big names in our ranks. There is no problem selling fringe players to fund some of the recruitment exercise, I have no problems with it. And I also don't have any problem with 0 net spend if Klopp can keep pulling them rabbits out of his hat. Just don't need them ITKs and journos to go on and on about £200m plus sales budget rhetoric. It never happens.... has been proven over and over again it won't happen.

Mascot88

Admin

But the thing is Eddie, we know that the club were trying to get Van Dijk and Keita over the line last summer. That would have taken last year's spend to around the 200m mark.

For what it's worth, I don't recall and of the reliable journo's saying £200m plus sales. Just we could spend £200m

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
But the thing is Eddie, we know that the club were trying to get Van Dijk and Keita over the line last summer. That would have taken last year's spend to around the 200m mark.

For what it's worth, I don't recall and of the reliable journo's saying £200m plus sales. Just we could spend £200m
Sold Coutinho in the process.... so it's not £200m plus sales, we didn't spend £400m. That's the thing, we did not do it. We don't know what strategy was used on the delayed moves and such. You read the "almost" as if it is happening, I take it after the fact to prove that it happened. So you see the difference here? This is why I said things that happened we can discuss at length, things that didn't happen, hearse, almost happened, supposed to happen but didn't do not register with me as it is true.

We almost win the Champs League if Ramos didn't injure Salah? Yes that is a possibility. Can we use that as cold hard facts? We can't. We have a better chance to win, but we didn't. So the reality is, it did not happen therefore we did not win the Champs League. Same goes for those transfer saga, if the club released would it be £200m plus sales? Yes that is what the media and clubs claimed. But can we use that as facts? We can't because we simply don't know how everything was cut in the end and it didn't happen, therefore it is in reality it didn't happen.

That's what I see. I don't take "what ifs" into account when it comes to historical event.

This is the last time I will explain my stance on how I derive our transfer budget before sales from our owners. I do it with historical data and actual figures that was reported of how much the player cost to move to us, from club to club. Some people can see it, some people can't. Fine by me....

Noo Noo

Sold Coutinho in the process.... so it's not £200m plus sales, we didn't spend £400m. That's the thing, we did not do it. We don't know what strategy was used on the delayed moves and such. You read the "almost" as if it is happening, I take it after the fact to prove that it happened. So you see the difference here? This is why I said things that happened we can discuss at length, things that didn't happen, hearse, almost happened, supposed to happen but didn't do not register with me as it is true.

We almost win the Champs League if Ramos didn't injure Salah? Yes that is a possibility. Can we use that as cold hard facts? We can't. We have a better chance to win, but we didn't. So the reality is, it did not happen therefore we did not win the Champs League. Same goes for those transfer saga, if the club released would it be £200m plus sales? Yes that is what the media and clubs claimed. But can we use that as facts? We can't because we simply don't know how everything was cut in the end and it didn't happen, therefore it is in reality it didn't happen.

That's what I see. I don't take "what ifs" into account when it comes to historical event.

This is the last time I will explain my stance on how I derive our transfer budget before sales from our owners. I do it with historical data and actual figures that was reported of how much the player cost to move to us, from club to club. Some people can see it, some people can't. Fine by me....
No we didn't. there's a whole 6 months between VvD / Keita and then selling Coutinho. There's a discussion on this very forum that came to the conclusion that VvD was agreed last September. So in theory the money was there if Klopp wanted it.

I'm with @Mascott88, I think there is cash there for a one off splurge if Klopp feels he has the inclination for it. Given our relative lack of spending over recent seasons and this years CL run I'd say we have that potential more than ever. It's more a question if Klopp sees the need or the deals can be agreed I think.

This isn't like Rafa or Rodgers where the money was pent regardless.

Not that it matters I think its more important to see what Klopp's views on the current squad are. I think that is a whole lot more interesting than So and So from Outer Mongolia costing £25m. I'm more interested in what position he plays and how that fits within the team

Red over the water

The budget stuff always goes around and around every summer!

Rather than get bogged down in the weeds over what monies are assigned exactly where, my take on it all is we've been pretty frugal for a couple of transfer windows and are in a great position to spend. We have just qualified for the CL again for next season, and we made it to the final this time. The PL deal is enormous and our commercial deals are growing. All of it can improve further, but as things stand we are in a great position. In addition to this, the owners have to be VERY confident with the recruitment team, such that they know they aren't wasting money if they back the plans of the manager and his team.

I think we are in a position to spend 200M this summer, maybe even a bit more. Keita, Fabinho, Alisson, Pulisic/Fekir would take care of that. Depending on sales me might even stretch to one more.

It won't be like that every year, and neither should it be, as we will be in trouble with FFP. But there's a sense in which you get the impression that we've been saving up, and now is the time to make a few moves that, if handled well, should see us compete at the sharp end of the biggest tournaments for years to come.

Mascot88

Admin

:think:

I said that I don't recall anyone except excitable Twitter types suggest we were going to spend 200m plus sales. I've already answered that. It was always 200m. No mention of sales.

I understand where you are coming from. You are looking at the previous summers, working out an annual budget of about 40m and saying that's how much we can spend because that's what we've always spent*. But I don't think you can use history to disprove the likelihood of something everyone acknowleges would be a one off.

*Except he hasn't. Over his tenure, up to the Champions League Final, Klopp had spent minus 30m quid (give or take). That isn't 40m a season whichever way you slice it.

So far this season Keita and Fabinho account for about £90m. Fekir will take it to £150m. That 200m spend is not so ridiculous. Where is that money coming from? Klopp has thirty million from sales still to spend, then he has got three summer budgets (40m - your figure) which he hasn't touched. That gets you to £150m before you even add in the monstrous Premier League and Champions League prize money. Or any sales from this year (which might bring in another £30m) Put it this way, I think we can add Fekir and Alisson to Keita and Fabinho, and then go again if necessary. I just don't think money is any kind of problem.

Red over the water

On the agent fee/bribe thing, I'm on the side that says we probably should be careful with how we say stuff. A bribe is wrong, and the club would be in all sorts of trouble for that, and likely banned from transfer activity for a good while.

An agent fee is for services rendered. With that said, it is a fair point to make about whether or not there's adequate value for money for the services rendered. A lot of people don't think there is, and many have made the case that the whole agent system needs much better regulation.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Nope, you're right. The problem hasn't been lack of money or willingness to spend it. It's got fuck all to do with net spends or budgets or this or that. This issue has been ineptitude.

Historically, the club hasn't spent much each summer. Because we have been utterly fucking inept at doing so. From idiotic decision making by Comolli using his metrics to identify who'd make Andy Carroll work, through insulting bids for players (Dempseygate, and Salah, initially), being used by agents or made a laughing stock (Willian, Mikhtaryan, Konoplyanka, etc.) and even walking away from players like that Brazilian bloke who ended up in China. There was a level of ineptitude that we struggled to get right, because in order to do so the ENTIRE fucking system had to be rebuilt. When Comolli and Kenny left, and they brought in Rodgers, he stamped his feet and demanded autonomy. That resulted in Fabio Borini and Joe Allen being identified as the lads to take us forward, which then culminated in the embarrassing Dempsey shite. But fixing that properly meant getting rid not just of Ian Ayre (who did a lot of other things right behind the scenes, just not transfers!) but Rodgers as well since bringing in Edwards saw him spit the dummy completely, and we saw the constant childish power struggles as he fought against "the committee."

Soon as Rodgers went, and Klopp came in, he said "Sporting director? No probs - keep me away from all that transfer shite actually. If you need my help or input in anything, just ask, otherwise I'll be working with the lads on the training pitch."

And now we're seeing the benefits of it. Finally.

Was it a mess of the owners' own doing? Yes. Did it take a fucking long time to fix? Yes. Is it fixed now? Looks an awful lot like it, doesn't it?

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Ubermick you cunning bastard, how did you manage to get those direct quotes from Klopp?

One thing I just want to throw out there with people regailling tales of war chests and the need for 3000 midfielders, is just be careful, unlike Rafa, we can see staunch evidence for Klopp liking to work with a smaller squad.

Despite how thin we felt around March and April, I wouldn’t be shocked if we end up with roughly the same squad numbers as last season.

ubermick

Admin
Ubermick you cunning bastard, how did you manage to get those direct quotes from Klopp?
Fly on the wall, man, fly on the wall. I've implanted some specifically cunning malware onto Edwards' laptop that allowed me camera and microphone access for the first couple of weeks, but now his laptop has evolved into a state of pure, living energy. Last time I tried to access it, I got a message telling me that it knew what I was doing, saw deep into my soul, and asked me if I'd like to speak to any of my dead relatives as it had gained access to the spiritual plane as well as the physical.

Despite how thin we felt around March and April, I wouldn’t be shocked if we end up with roughly the same squad numbers as last season.
Personally not much issue with squad size, as I have with squad quality. We have three backups for Bobby, Salah, and Mane - but those three backups were Sturridge, Ings, and Solanke. We had six central midfielders for three spots - Henderson, Milner, Lallana, Ox, Can, Wijnaldum. Unfortunately come the end of the season we only had three of them available, and one of them in Henderson has perpetual mobility problems. Same thing at the back.

We basically already have two players for every position, quite a few of those players are versatile enough to move about as cover if there's a substantial injury crisis.

It was just a fucking terrible year for us for injuries - which makes what the team did this year all the more remarkable considering that just below the cream floating at the top is quite a lot of fairly watery milk. The better quality we have, the less dependance there's placed on specific people, which means if they do go down injured, then they don't need rushing back.

Kopstar

★★★★★★

One thing I just want to throw out there with people regailling tales of war chests and the need for 3000 midfielders, is just be careful, unlike Rafa, we can see staunch evidence for Klopp liking to work with a smaller squad.

I wouldn't be shocked either, in fact I'd expect it. The problem wasn't numbers the problem was the quality of those numbers. Hopefully this summer will go a long way to addressing that.

Maria

Champions of Europe VI
Nope, you're right. The problem hasn't been lack of money or willingness to spend it. It's got fuck all to do with net spends or budgets or this or that. This issue has been ineptitude.

Historically, the club hasn't spent much each summer. Because we have been utterly fucking inept at doing so. From idiotic decision making by Comolli using his metrics to identify who'd make Andy Carroll work, through insulting bids for players (Dempseygate, and Salah, initially), being used by agents or made a laughing stock (Willian, Mikhtaryan, Konoplyanka, etc.) and even walking away from players like that Brazilian bloke who ended up in China. There was a level of ineptitude that we struggled to get right, because in order to do so the ENTIRE fucking system had to be rebuilt. When Comolli and Kenny left, and they brought in Rodgers, he stamped his feet and demanded autonomy. That resulted in Fabio Borini and Joe Allen being identified as the lads to take us forward, which then culminated in the embarrassing Dempsey shite. But fixing that properly meant getting rid not just of Ian Ayre (who did a lot of other things right behind the scenes, just not transfers!) but Rodgers as well since bringing in Edwards saw him spit the dummy completely, and we saw the constant childish power struggles as he fought against "the committee."

Soon as Rodgers went, and Klopp came in, he said "Sporting director? No probs - keep me away from all that transfer shite actually. If you need my help or input in anything, just ask, otherwise I'll be working with the lads on the training pitch."

And now we're seeing the benefits of it. Finally.

Was it a mess of the owners' own doing? Yes. Did it take a fucking long time to fix? Yes. Is it fixed now? Looks an awful lot like it, doesn't it?

So Ubermick, Edwards wasn't the totally incompetent after all. I was thinking it was all his fault about not bringing VVD last summer. I was really critical of him and the the inept scouts we had at the club. I was wondering what Klopp must have been thinking when he came, because he came from a very efficiently run Dortmund who have an excellent DoF and player recruitment department with good scouts and seeing such a shambles Liverpool FC, was at the time. He would have run for the hills.
Did the hierarchy get rid of most of the people in that committee and did the club hire new scouts as well?
Because the way I am looking at it now, we seem to be getting the right type of players in in the last 12 months, so there is something they are doing right.
I still cannot get over us not getting Delli Ali because Ayre would not pay the extra £5 million, Klopp would mentored him well and made him into a superstar footballer and be able to control his erratic temperament on the pitch and cut out the diving.

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
So Ubermick, Edwards wasn't the totally incompetent after all. I was thinking it was all his fault about not bringing VVD last summer. I was really critical of him and the the inept scouts we had at the club. I was wondering what Klopp must have been thinking when he came, because he came from a very efficiently run Dortmund who have an excellent DoF and player recruitment department with good scouts and seeing such a shambles Liverpool FC, was at the time. He would have run for the hills.
Did the hierarchy get rid of most of the people in that committee and did the club hire new scouts as well?
Because the way I am looking at it now, we seem to be getting the right type of players in in the last 12 months, so there is something they are doing right.
I still cannot get over us not getting Delli Ali because Ayre would not pay the etra £5 million, Klopp would mentored him well and made him into a superstar footballer and be able to control his erratic temperament on the pitch and cut out the diving.
"wasn't the total incompetent after all"?

Only those who had no actual idea about how effective he is described him in such terms.

ubermick

Admin
So Ubermick, Edwards wasn't the totally incompetent after all. I was thinking it was all his fault about not bringing VVD last summer. I was really critical of him and the the inept scouts we had at the club.
That deal didn't happen because of ineptitude - but not that of Edwards. He had actually gotten the deal 95% done early in the window - he'd done his job. But it wasn't done yet though - but at a social event being hosted by LFC, Tom Werner (chairman) got blottered and was walking around bragging within earshot of journalists that it was "in the bag." Leaked out, hasty media briefing happened the following morning to try and control the damage, but was too late. Southampton were (rightly) pissed off at our arrogance, and pulled the plug.

(And Werner was also the one that went talking to NESN (Boston sports news station) doing the EXACT SAME THING, saying that the Dempsey signing was in the bag, when it wasn't.)

Maria

Champions of Europe VI
That deal didn't happen because of ineptitude - but not that of Edwards. He had actually gotten the deal 95% done early in the window - he'd done his job. But it wasn't done yet though - but at a social event being hosted by LFC, Tom Werner (chairman) got blottered and was walking around bragging within earshot of journalists that it was "in the bag." Leaked out, hasty media briefing happened the following morning to try and control the damage, but was too late. Southampton were (rightly) pissed off at our arrogance, and pulled the plug.

(And Werner was also the one that went talking to NESN (Boston sports news station) doing the EXACT SAME THING, saying that the Dempsey signing was in the bag, when it wasn't.)
Thank you Ubermick for eloquently clarifying this issue. I forgot about the Dempsey transfer, that was a close one too. I misunderstood the whole recruitment thing. I was quite harsh with my view at the time which I regret now. Once, I asked James Pearce on twitter about the VVD summer transfer not going through, he seems to suggest that Werner had nothing to do with it.

Last edited: