• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Fabinho - Welcome to Liverpool FC

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Thank you Ubermick for eloquently clarifying this issue. I forgot about the Dempsey transfer, that was a close one too. I misunderstood the whole recruitment thing. I was quite harsh with my view at the time which I regret now. Once, I asked James Pearce on twitter about the VVD summer transfer not going through, he seems to suggest that Werner had nothing to do with it.
https://forums.thisisanfield.com/threads/the-owners.16586/page-535#post-814126

All this aside, this is about Fabinho's arrival - for which again, I think Edwards and the club deserve massive credit for getting done quietly and within 48 hours of the lights going out in Kiev.

Maria

Champions of Europe VI

Spitfire

Resident Realist
Good player, and the best kind of transfer - the one you don't see coming. I liked Emre, I'm disappointed he's leaving, but with this guy and keita coming in to be fair - chances are he would have spent a lot of time on the bench next season anyway........

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
6 foot 2 inches ! I saw the pic with Mendes and he dwarfs everyone (mind you, Deco is about 2 foot nothing), but as DM you need to get your head to the ball often.
Isnt it great when we sign these classy players ! Usually its "well, he has potential" or "he is young, its a bargain he will develop" or "he is a squad player" or "well, that only took 6 months !" .... now its "wow ! where did that come from " and "he is the business" !

Last edited:

Zinedine Biscan

Kylian me softly...
Ad-free Member
6 foot 2 inches ! I saw the pic with Mendes and he dwarfs everyone (mind you, Deco is about 2 foot nothing), but as DM you need to get your head to the ball often.
Isnt it great when we sign these classy players ! Usually its "well, he has potential" or "he is young, its a bargain he will develop" or "he is a squad player" or "well, that only took 6 months !" .... now its "wow ! where did that come from " and "he is the business" !
It's something I and the other supporters I've spoken to in that time have been saying for about the past 15 years... getting the squad to the point where all we need to add is proper quality in a couple of key positions. It's brilliant that we're finally at that point.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
It's something I and the other supporters I've spoken to in that time have been saying for about the past 15 years... getting the squad to the point where all we need to add is proper quality in a couple of key positions. It's brilliant that we're finally at that point.
x2 CL qualification, money from the club, the presence of Klopp, the upward mobility of the team... there are a lot of positive factors, but I think we are now attracting "A" class players, rather than "B" class with potential. Yes, the indications are a lot better than I care to remember for a few years.

charleslee89

TIA New Signing
I looked at the the customary youtube video of Fabinho...He looks like he is everything we hope Henderson or Can will be.....

LeoT

I'm fairly certain it hasn't entered Klopp's thinking to sell Lallana this summer... you only have to hear him speak about him to see how highly the gaffer rates him. I was a little taken a back actually by how effusive he was. If it was Rodgers a little two-facedness wouldn't surprise me, but Klopp plays a straight bat so have no doubt his admiration for Lallana is genuine.

Lallana is a very good player, he was one of our best players the season before last.
But like Clyne his injuries have set him back this season.

Be great to see them both after a good injury-free pre-season.

Quagmire81

TIA Regular
No Idea who this guy is but if Jurgen wants him he must be good.

Lemar was just a smokescreen then?

LeoT

watch him on youtube
DM- crunching tackles, good at dissposessing, very aware of other players and his short and long passes are silks smooth and on the button (yes, its youtube and only the best moments) but he has a calm commanding presence as DM, however, when he runs with the ball he is like a rabbit, can dribble at speed and shoot, or play assists. He was a RB originally - with Keita we have an impressive engine room. he is 24, turned down the mancs, wants success, and I presume to think Klopp has struck gold yet again.. and As with the Keita transfer (sealed last year) the clubs buying mechanics seems very good at the moment, well oils, fast, and they dont quibble. Compliments to the club for this.

Im happy and laughing about this ! this has wiped my disappointment away. We are Liverpool. Klopp and the suited men are really pulling together to improve the club. I will have a great buzz today with this news ! The team will be stronger anyway because of this season, and with a few star additions.... to quote Yazz- the only way is up !
I thought his passing was poor looking at the "Fabinho vs ..." YouTube videos.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Flobs

FADA
I thought his passing was poor looking at the "Fabinho vs ..." YouTube videos.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
I think his short passing game could improve his long passes and through balls are good (almost on par with TAA?) but your right his passing is not the strongest point of his game. To even that out we have some players who's passing game is next to second to none, Henderson, VVD, Lovren, TAA could perhaps add Matip to that and Mané surprises me with his cross field passes).
Btw he's no slouch when it comes to passing I can just understand where your coming from.

kopend79

This is not the Liverpool i know.
Wheres the months of rumours linking us to the player?
Wheres the drawn out negotiations?
The repeated low ball offers that have no chance of being accepted?
This feels like a new Liverpool alright. One run professionally from top to bottom. One thats ready to start kicking some ass. Welcome Fab.

RedBaron

Curse you RedBaron!!!!
Bem vindo Cara! Sempre bem para ve um Paulistano na equipe glorioso como Liverpool !

Chrenyan

Followed Monaco when they had Mbappe running the league, this fella is what we need in our anchor midfield. Never in my wildest imagination that we are going to get him with Man City, Chelsea and PSG all eyeing him. We were in for Lemar and out of nowhere it was this fella we were trying to get instead of Lemar. We threw everyone around us off their game in this move, scouts in Monaco, instead of poaching Lemar it's Fabinho. Fucking wonderful.

This fella has the ball controlling skills Henderson could never have. Great eye for diagonal. Pace and power to boot. He is hard to disposes and he is difficult to stop when he starts his rampage. Can has that rampage ability, but he lacks the eye for a pass and something Fabinho has in his locker.

I've not been excited as this since we signed Suarez and this fella is making me look forward our up and coming season even more. A combination of Gilberto Silva and Patrick Vieira. What's not to like! Woohoo is all I could say for this move... The recruitment team has surpassed my expectation this season.

Our midfield is as good as sorted. Imagine a trio of Fabino, Kieta and Oxlade. All 3 has power, pace, ball control, good eye for a pass and can shoot to boot. We are going to have the midfield everyone wants, brings back the Alonso, Mascherano and Gerrard trinity. Woohoo again... woohoo.
Not sure if anyone had posted this, but here is an excellent follow-up to @lfc.eddie's great post above on the kind of player we have got ourselves.

Jan Riha's Fabinho review

PS
There is a thread on Henderson in the CL Final somewhere in the replies to this thread that's not too shabby either.

Zinedine Biscan

Kylian me softly...
Ad-free Member
Have been reading a lot said about how many bookings he picks up, so went to look at his record just now.

He... well, he does pick up yellows, doesn't he! Looks like about 1 every 4 games or thereabouts throughout his career, which means we can probably expect him to miss a few games next season through suspension.

That said, as far as I can tell he has never been sent off, either through a straight red card or through two yellows, so given his position that seems like a positive.

Enough of a mean streak to do the dirty jobs and maybe take a bullet for the team, but not so much that he ever loses his cool or does something silly after being booked. At least, that's how I read it.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
Have been reading a lot said about how many bookings he picks up, so went to look at his record just now.

He... well, he does pick up yellows, doesn't he! Looks like about 1 every 4 games or thereabouts throughout his career, which means we can probably expect him to miss a few games next season through suspension.

That said, as far as I can tell he has never been sent off, either through a straight red card or through two yellows, so given his position that seems like a positive.

Enough of a mean streak to do the dirty jobs and maybe take a bullet for the team, but not so much that he ever loses his cool or does something silly after being booked. At least, that's how I read it.
That's how he keeps injury free! Regular rests.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts...
Admin

Excellent, truly excellent! :well done: I've never followed this lad or watched him play regularly, but he seems to tick every box of what we've needed for our midfield.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Ive never known a good DM who didnt pick up yellows. Its a part of the job of DM, its a dirty job, where you are faced Ams running at speed, the front 2/3 running at you, and somehow you have to stop them, block them, or force them to recycle the ball. And inevitably you are going to get the odd card or odd poor ref decision.
2x midfielders bought already- what does that mean for Hendo? Milner? Wini? bench warming. And if the Capt and vice Capt are benched, who takes the capts armband? I would give it to Van the man !

Flobs

FADA
Ive never known a good DM who didnt pick up yellows. Its a part of the job of DM, its a dirty job, where you are faced Ams running at speed, the front 2/3 running at you, and somehow you have to stop them, block them, or force them to recycle the ball. And inevitably you are going to get the odd card or odd poor ref decision.
2x midfielders bought already- what does that mean for Hendo? Milner? Wini? bench warming. And if the Capt and vice Capt are benched, who takes the capts armband? I would give it to Van the man !
Here we go again! :rolleyes:
Perhaps just change the vice captain?

LeoT

I think his short passing game could improve his long passes and through balls are good (almost on par with TAA?) but your right his passing is not the strongest point of his game. To even that out we have some players who's passing game is next to second to none, Henderson, VVD, Lovren, TAA could perhaps add Matip to that and Mané surprises me with his cross field passes).
Btw he's no slouch when it comes to passing I can just understand where your coming from.

I kinda think, whats the point of intercepting the ball and winning tackles if you're going to just give the ball away.
But you can tell very little from YouTube videos, so overall i'm really happy.

coldbeatle89

We've got Salah (Do de do do de do)
Oh Mane Mane (do de do do de do)
And Bobby Firminooooooooo
And we signed Fabinho

And we've got Salah...

etc. etc. etc.

Apologies to Cork's biggest Liverpool fan.

I apologize if this is a repeat of something someone posted- it's been stuck in my head since we signed him

Flobs

FADA
I kinda think, whats the point of intercepting the ball and winning tackles if you're going to just give the ball away.
But you can tell very little from YouTube videos, so overall i'm really happy.
I don't think he's that bad. ^^
Yes I'm very happy with this transfer as well. :-)

redalways

TIA Regular
Lovren probably. Isn't it Klopp's standard practice to give it to the longest-serving player whenever neither of Henderson nor Milner are playing?

Zinedine Biscan

Kylian me softly...
Ad-free Member
Lovren probably. Isn't it Klopp's standard practice to give it to the longest-serving player whenever neither of Henderson nor Milner are playing?
I think Lovren would be a disaster if asked to shoulder the additional responsibility of being captain. Just let him concentrate on what he's doing!

I'm sure Klopp has a plan for the captaincy, and if Fabinho's arrival means by necessity it's taken from Hendo (as he is no longer part of the first-choice XI) then VVD has to be the outstanding candidate.