Favourite-ever LFC XI v Favourite-ever Rest of the world XI

Zico Nealy

Lot of slack for Owen here. He is suffering the same kind of legacy Keegan did for a while, as being seen as being more 8nterested in England than Liverpool, then leaving while needed and at or near his peak. There is a great interview with Owen doing the rounds explaining his career moves which should balance the hate a bit. He was top class for us, and shot the lights out first two or three seasons. Won us the Cup too. Had he stayed one more season, he would have been in Istanbul. He committed to Real before Rafa arrived 7nfortinately. He deserved a better team around him, and deserves more respect now. Red is Red, YNWA

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Lot of slack for Owen here. He is suffering the same kind of legacy Keegan did for a while, as being seen as being more 8nterested in England than Liverpool, then leaving while needed and at or near his peak. There is a great interview with Owen doing the rounds explaining his career moves which should balance the hate a bit. He was top class for us, and shot the lights out first two or three seasons. Won us the Cup too. Had he stayed one more season, he would have been in Istanbul. He committed to Real before Rafa arrived 7nfortinately. He deserved a better team around him, and deserves more respect now. Red is Red, YNWA
Owen was an excellent player but there's not much justification for picking him in a best Liverpool 11 when he's competing with Rush, Fowler, Torres or Suarez. Owen never scored 20 goals in a season for Liverpool whilst those lot all had 30+ goal seasons.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
I think he did, i recall seeing an interview with him where mentions as much, which makes it more astonishing when you think about it, he had time to look at the lino, then attempt that and pull it off...Ridiculous.
Ya that's what I thought as well though the guy was a head the ball anyway, I do remember him trying to dribble the ball out of the penalty box in the world cup and getting dispossessed and conceding a goal . might have been against someone like Cameroon who went on to lose to England in the next round. (Could also be wayoff the mark as well)

Zico Nealy

Owen was an excellent player but there's not much justification for picking him in a best Liverpool 11 when he's competing with Rush, Fowler, Torres or Suarez. Owen never scored 20 goals in a season for Liverpool whilst those lot all had 30+ goal seasons.
Not really my point tbh mate. I picked Mighty Mouse

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
But this thread is NOT about the best LFC side, this is about your FAVOURITE LFC side. Speaking of that, I'm sure some of us would be interested in your favourite team :well done:

Last edited:

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Your call, just not how I live. Couldn’t give a flying fuck about UTD in any form past present or future, so they don’t really register for me. I’m more about our lot tbh
Do you not remember that the little dickhead refused to sign a contract and and ran it down so that the club were forced to sell him for basically next to nothing .if he had really wanted to he could have signed A new contract and then left and we at least would have got money to replace him. might have been a good player but will be beloved by the fans for that and joining utd which I've always felt was just a stunt by slur Alex to rub our faces in it

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Not really my point tbh mate. I picked Mighty Mouse
Fair enough but the point is still relevant. The other stuff about Owen goes without saying; boring personality, not much connection to the club, left us on the cheap and later went to United. The only way he would be picked for a favourite 11 more often is if he was better than his competition, which I was trying to demonstrate that he wasn't.

But this thread is NOT about the best LFC side, this is about your FAVOURITE LFC side. Speaking of that, I'm sure some of us would be interested in your favourite team :well done:
Where Liverpool are concerned they're one and the same thing for the most part. No fan likes to watch mediocre players play for their team.

My favourite world 11 would look something like:

Kahn

Zanetti Cannavaro Maldini Carlos

Pirlo Riquelme

Maradona
Messi Ronaldo Ronaldinho

Caradoc

Y Goeden Bywyd
I don’t see why anybody should be criticising anybody else’s favourite player choices tbh. Its a personal choice - isn’t that the whole point of the thread? It surely doesn’t have to comply with anyone else’s opinion. This is one reason why I don’t plan to submit my own version (the other being after 50+ years of watching football I’d find it incredibly difficult to narrow it down to 11 players for either side).

Last edited:

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad.
Posted it days ago.
Try and keep up :tongue:

PS - Did you not question everyone about why Beardsley and Barnes weren't in their sides?

You got me.But Barnesy and Beardsley should be automatic selections lol

melbournered

I don’t see why anybody should be criticising anybody else’s favourite player choices tbh. Its a personal choice - isn’t that the whole point of the thread? It surely doesn’t have to comply with anyone else’s opinion. This is one reason why I don’t plan to submit my own version (the other being after 50+ years of watching football I’d find it incredibly difficult to narrow it down to 11 players for either side).
Not just narrowing down either, recalling ALL your favourite players as well. Well it is for me with my shit memory.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Do you not remember that the little dickhead refused to sign a contract and and ran it down so that the club were forced to sell him for basically next to nothing .if he had really wanted to he could have signed A new contract and then left and we at least would have got money to replace him. might have been a good player but will be beloved by the fans for that and joining utd which I've always felt was just a stunt by slur Alex to rub our faces in it
I’m assuming you know the story of Gerrard’s move to Chelsea?

Zico Nealy

Fair enough but the point is still relevant. The other stuff about Owen goes without saying; boring personality, not much connection to the club, left us on the cheap and later went to United. The only way he would be picked for a favourite 11 more often is if he was better than his competition, which I was trying to demonstrate that he wasn't.

Where Liverpool are concerned they're one and the same thing for the most part. No fan likes to watch mediocre players play for their team.

My favourite world 11 would look something like:

Kahn

Zanetti Cannavaro Maldini Carlos

Pirlo Riquelme

Maradona
Messi Ronaldo Ronaldinho
Yeah fair enough man

Zico Nealy

To be honest a lot of players have done this. Steve McManaman did it etc. I know what you’re saying though and can see why people dislike him. I felt the sMe about Mascherano when he refused to play for us at City to get to Barca. Modern players and all that. Still though, he was great for Liverpool, gave us some great times and I don’t harbour any grudges. He comes across in interviews as loving Liverpool. United’s offer seemed to come out of the blue and his choice was the. Or Hull I think. He seemed to always want to come back but Rafa either didn’t want or couldn’t make it happen.

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
To be honest a lot of players have done this. Steve McManaman did it etc. I know what you’re saying though and can see why people dislike him. I felt the sMe about Mascherano when he refused to play for us at City to get to Barca. Modern players and all that. Still though, he was great for Liverpool, gave us some great times and I don’t harbour any grudges. He comes across in interviews as loving Liverpool. United’s offer seemed to come out of the blue and his choice was the. Or Hull I think. He seemed to always want to come back but Rafa either didn’t want or couldn’t make it happen.
I lost respect for mascherano over his antics and Macca at least saw out his contract . I do get what you are saying and fair play that you can lay that all aside but I genuinely believe what I said above that the only reason Ferguson bought him was to wind us up
Anyway as good as Owen was he was never as good as fowler

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Did Gerrard go though ? And if he did go we would at least have got a good fee for him
If you know the story, you know why.

Look, Owen shat on us no question but in that formation of mine, I think he’d score more. Granted he’s not in my top 20 fav players so probably shot myself in the foot here.....

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
If you know the story, you know why.

Look, Owen shat on us no question but in that formation of mine, I think he’d score more. Granted he’s not in my top 20 fav players so probably shot myself in the foot here.....
Gerrard decided to leave because we dragged our heals in offering him a new contract which made him feel we wanted to sell him.he still had 2 years left on his contract at that stage. He knew mourinho wanted him so he submitted a transfer request (or something along those lines)

GratefulRed

TIA Reserve Team
Started watching in 1998 so as far as favorites go, it will have to players from then forward. Again, these are my favorites, but not the best XI.

Liverpool XI:

Pepe
Carragher, Agger, Hyypia, Risse
Alonso, Mascherano, Gerrard
Suarez, Torres, Fowler

*edited after I saw no current players to be included.​

World XI:
Chilavert
Maldini, De Boer, Hummels, Roberto Carlos
Viera, Edgar Davids, Iniesta
Henry, Totti, Ronaldinho

Last edited: