• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Fernando Llorente (ST) Athletic Bilbao

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
To quote the old chestnut, he's got great feet for a big man. The comparisons between Llorente and Carroll end at "tall, needs a haircut." Llorente is a finesse player who's also able to be used as a battering ram IF NEEDED. Andy Carroll THINKS he's a finesse player who's also able to be used as a battering ram if needed, but is in fact, not very good. (This would normally be the bit where I remind people that Carroll had just six months of Premiership experience when we bought him, and a year prior nobody would touch him for 1/35th of what we paid)

kwala

TIA Regular
Yes Llorente has good feet, and is better than Carroll, but............

From what I have seen Llorente sure scores a HELL of a lot of headers. Just where is he going to get that service from in a Tiki Taka side? Spain can put him on the bench as an option, we can't afford to do that, and nor would Llorente come here to be an option.

Lampshades and Tables if you ask me.

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Llorente is good... But is he the type of player Rodgers wants at LFC? Llorente can't play anything but pure centre forward and Rodgers was adamant that he wants to use Suarez in no. 9 role. It doesn't add up here for me. If Rafa or Kenny were at the helm, I would be convinced that they would go for Llorente. Rodgers... Not so much. I actually expect Rodgers to use Suarez centrally, Borini as back-up for him (and wide positions - when needed) and to get two or three wide players who can contribute in terms of goals and assists.

LiVeRp0oL89

I think in these sort of cases, you have to look past analysing every inch of his game and appreciate that he is a very good player who has bags of experience and plenty of years left in him, wants to come to the Premier League and is going to be sold at a significantly lower value than his worth. Who realistically could he sign for who is going to be interested in him in this league? Arsenal..? Tottenham..? Chelsea maybe..?

It'd be bordering on ignorance not to even launch a bid for him when we arguably have a poorer squad than the teams i've mentioned and our weak attack is the primary reason for this.

Nikola

Admin
It's not about getting the best names we can get and changing the system to fit them in - it's about having a system and buying players who fit into it seamlessly. We have been doing the former for quite a while and it didn't get us anywhere near where we want to be. Looking at the bigger picture is trying to foresee what kind of effect Llorente would have on our overall squad as he would probably be first choice striker. Would that have detrimental impact on Suarez' game, for example? Would he require a certain type of player on the other side of our attacking trio, someone different to Sturridge (whose arrival seems imminent at the moment)?

I doubt that there is a Liverpool fan who wouldn't want him in our squad but I'm firmly against getting a player because he's famous or (almost) free or because we need to spend.

LiVeRp0oL89

I doubt that there is a Liverpool fan who wouldn't want him in our squad but I'm firmly against getting a player because he's famous or (almost) free or because we need to spend.
So your not a Liverpool fan? ;) I wouldn't use the word 'famous' as more to the point that he's well known because he's a very good player. I look at it from a point that this lad is a quality attacker, probably to the best standard we could hope for at present, who will cost a fee that I don;t believe would effect us in pursuing any other targets who people may feel 'fit the team better'.I'm sure people will have there doubts on him fitting into the team but I suppose it comes down to how desperately you think the team need reinforcements in attack. Personally, I think we're very desperate for quality reinforcements upfront and with his current situation, would love the club to go for him. Just to hit on what you said about Suarez, whilst it's great that he's finding the net regularly this season, i'd love him in a roaming role across the attacking third.

lfc.8

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest someone wants him because he's famous. I would like to see him come in because he's a fantastic player. Being almost free just makes it so much better, with the limited funds we have. Nor do i see any issue with Llorente adapting to the 'system'.

Nikola

Admin
So your not a Liverpool fan? ;) I wouldn't use the word 'famous' as more to the point that he's well known because he's a very good player. I look at it from a point that this lad is a quality attacker, probably to the best standard we could hope for at present, who will cost a fee that I don;t believe would effect us in pursuing any other targets who people may feel 'fit the team better'.I'm sure people will have there doubts on him fitting into the team but I suppose it comes down to how desperately you think the team need reinforcements in attack. Personally, I think we're very desperate for quality reinforcements upfront and with his current situation, would love the club to go for him. Just to hit on what you said about Suarez, whilst it's great that he's finding the net regularly this season, i'd love him in a roaming role across the attacking third.
I like Llorente as a player, I really do and I'm convinced that our fortunes would have been much better had Kenny been able to initially get him instead of Carroll. However, I don't think that he is the answer to our current problems mainly because we have Suarez here and Rodgers persists with him playing as our most advanced attacker. Our game mostly revolves around getting the best from Suarez (and rightly so, I'd add) but I feel that we would get even more out of him and our team if we managed to add goalscoring wide players and midfielders.

I for one am tired of shoehorning players into our side and then hoping for them and their teammates to somehow miraculously start performing to top class levels. I fear that getting any out-and-out striker in Huntelaar/Llorente mould would disrupt our side's attack but perhaps I'm reading too much into Rodgers' quotes about Suarez. One can't deny that Suarez has had his best spell for us playing in that position and I want it to continue for long, long time.

LiVeRp0oL89

I like Llorente as a player, I really do and I'm convinced that our fortunes would have been much better had Kenny been able to initially get him instead of Carroll. However, I don't think that he is the answer to our current problems mainly because we have Suarez here and Rodgers persists with him playing as our most advanced attacker. Our game mostly revolves around getting the best from Suarez (and rightly so, I'd add) but I feel that we would get even more out of him and our team if we managed to add goalscoring wide players and midfielders.

I for one am tired of shoehorning players into our side and then hoping for them and their teammates to somehow miraculously start performing to top class levels. I fear that getting any out-and-out striker in Huntelaar/Llorente mould would disrupt our side's attack but perhaps I'm reading too much into Rodgers' quotes about Suarez. One can't deny that Suarez has had his best spell for us playing in that position and I want it to continue for long, long time.
I get what your saying about Suarez mate, especially about him being our main man (and rightfully so).. I just think a player of Saurez's ability would be perfect to roam behind a top striker, I think he's made for that. Kind of like if you we're to replace the Saurez / Carroll signing's to Saurez / Aguero, not only would we of seen a hell of a lot more goals from our attack but I think Saurez would of scored more or atleast the same amount as he has this season, even without having to sit up top. I honestly think he's that good. Granted Llorente isn't Aguero, he's better than Carroll and it's a step in the right direction and a possible Champions League place in the next year or two which would allow us to then go on to sign someone bigger.

OhYaBeauty

I get what your saying about Suarez mate, especially about him being our main man (and rightfully so).. I just think a player of Saurez's ability would be perfect to roam behind a top striker, I think he's made for that. Kind of like if you we're to replace the Saurez / Carroll signing's to Saurez / Aguero, not only would we of seen a hell of a lot more goals from our attack but I think Saurez would of scored more or atleast the same amount as he has this season, even without having to sit up top. I honestly think he's that good. Granted Llorente isn't Aguero, he's better than Carroll and it's a step in the right direction and a possible Champions League place in the next year or two which would allow us to then go on to sign someone bigger.
No doubt Suarez (how it's spelled) would excell behind a main striker. The false nine position is really just a second striker playing without a front man ahead of him, and Luis is the master of that. But even if we were to buy a front man, that's not how it would work here. We won't play a 4-4-1-1 under Rodgers, so buying a solid central striker would necessarily shift Suarez out wide.

lfc.8

Suarez is more than capable playing anywhere across the front 3. He's the perfect forward really.

Reactions: TFC

LiVeRp0oL89

lol I have no idea why I was repeatedly mis-spelling his name, especially after I spelt it right the first time!

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Are we going to really go on to demolish the Premier League playing a False 9 system in every single game?

There will be games where we want to play Suarez in that way, and there are games where we will want Borini there, a real #9, one example against teams playing a high line where we want someone playing off the shoulder.

IMHO, it all comes down to Borini. How confident is Rodgers in him? Should we not get another striker that has more experience so we don't put too much pressure on Fabio? Should we get someone that offers different things to Fabio?

I am not sure we are gonna have world class wide forwards in our squad any time soon, so there is merit in getting a forward whose primary instinct is as a striker, but who also has good link-up play (i.e. not Darren Bent).

I'm not saying that man is Llorente. In fact, I highly doubt it is.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member

From what I have seen Llorente sure scores a HELL of a lot of headers. Just where is he going to get that service from in a Tiki Taka side? Spain can put him on the bench as an option, we can't afford to do that, and nor would Llorente come here to be an option.

Maybe from the 15+ corners we get every game.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think there is room in our squad for a traditional CF and I even think Rodgers will adapt his systems and formations to utilize the best performing players within his squad to get the best results for the team.

If that meant a 3-5-2 with Suarez up top with a CF or 4-3-3 with Suarez wide then whatever is good for team.

However I don't think we will sign Llorente.

Guy is going to be in demand he is not tied in champions league so every champions league teams needing a striker...he's ya boy!

Unless he has a specific desire to come here for some reason (follow Torres footsteps, secret fan, lack of confidence for competing in a large squad and confident of starts here) we wont get past the initial enquiry stage!

kwala

TIA Regular
The Spanish Andy Carroll? You are fishing, right?
Not at all mate. I don't think he is a good fit for the brand of football we are trying to play. He is a very good player. I just don't see him fitting in to Rodgers' vision of the team. And, I don't want to see us shoehorning players into the side any more. We need to be looking at players that suit what we are trying to do in terms of playing style.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
we wont get past the initial enquiry stage!
Show's how far our club has fallen or expectation of us to the club has dropped.

I for one believe if we have someone who could sell the whole idea behind the "rebuilding project" to him, surely a player like him would bite. Not like he is a regular starter for Spain and playing Champs League football week-in, week-out. If we think Huntelaar who is playing Champs League for his current team and moving from one Champs League team to another would be a possible move for us, I don't see why this fella would be impossible.

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Llorente is good... But is he the type of player Rodgers wants at LFC? Llorente can't play anything but pure centre forward and Rodgers was adamant that he wants to use Suarez in no. 9 role. It doesn't add up here for me. If Rafa or Kenny were at the helm, I would be convinced that they would go for Llorente. Rodgers... Not so much. I actually expect Rodgers to use Suarez centrally, Borini as back-up for him (and wide positions - when needed) and to get two or three wide players who can contribute in terms of goals and assists.
I tend to agree with you. And it doesnt make sense from the fact that we had carroll who is also a target man. BR prefers players "who can also play as CF". With form suarez is in, i wont touch him. Call it false 9, improper 9, inverted 9 etc... just get players who can support luis and score some goals too.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Show's how far our club has fallen or expectation of us to the club has dropped.

I for one believe if we have someone who could sell the whole idea behind the "rebuilding project" to him, surely a player like him would bite. Not like he is a regular starter for Spain and playing Champs League football week-in, week-out. If we think Huntelaar who is playing Champs League for his current team and moving from one Champs League team to another would be a possible move for us, I don't see why this fella would be impossible.
See for me thats even more reason why he would want a move to a champions league squad because its not something he has had much of a chance at and it could help him get more regular time in the Spanish team.

Its different for Huntelaar as he is already at a champions league side and doing well there but still isnt getting a look in with the Dutch side.

So he needs a move to a big name club with more focus and attention on him whether he plays champions league second half of season or not.

Note that dont mean Huntelaar would defo come here there are other world famous clubs around.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
See for me thats even more reason why he would want a move to a champions league squad because its not something he has had much of a chance at and it could help him get more regular time in the Spanish team.

Its different for Huntelaar as he is already at a champions league side and doing well there but still isnt getting a look in with the Dutch side.

So he needs a move to a big name club with more focus and attention on him whether he plays champions league second half of season or not.

Note that dont mean Huntelaar would defo come here there are other world famous clubs around.
Depends on how the project is sold. After all, we are not far off CL places and on the playing side at least appear to be unified unlike other teams we are competing with. Convince him or any other forward targets they are the missing link to our return to CL football and it could happen.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
How about asking our celebrity fans like Daniel Craig or Samuel L. Jackson to sell our "project" to our transfer targets? 😊

You won't find to many players able to say no to Bond or the fella from Pulp Fiction!

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
Not at all mate. I don't think he is a good fit for the brand of football we are trying to play. He is a very good player. I just don't see him fitting in to Rodgers' vision of the team. And, I don't want to see us shoehorning players into the side any more. We need to be looking at players that suit what we are trying to do in terms of playing style.
I agree that Llorente is a classic No.9, and that in order to play him, Rodgers would need to move Suarez wide ... Generally, I am not in favor of moving Suarez wide, but looking at the way Llorente has been scoring for Athletic, and especially his brilliant link-up play with the other 3 attacking players in their system (Muniain, De Marcos and Susaeta), I think that it would be a smart move to buy a 30-million player for 5-10 million in January (or maybe even sign him on Bosman in the summer), and make slight adjustments to our system in order to incorporate him ...

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
It actually blows my mind that people would pass up the opportunity to sign this lad just because he might not fit Rodgers' blueprint perfectly.

You just don't turn down players of his quality when you're in our position. You don't even contemplate it for stylistic reasons, it's primarily the players that win you the game.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

We had 43 crosses going into the box today. I'm sure Llorent would thrive off them, as would Carroll if he'd be arsed enough to run into the box.

I always read tiki taka, but lately, I haven't seen any tiki taka around to be honest... Much possession yes, but the comparison stops there imo.

Nikola

Admin
It actually blows my mind that people would pass up the opportunity to sign this lad just because he might not fit Rodgers' blueprint perfectly.

You just don't turn down players of his quality when you're in our position. You don't even contemplate it for stylistic reasons, it's primarily the players that win you the game.
Liverpool of old mainly bought players who fit the manager's style of play, they weren't buying any good player and then trying to fit them into the side. Hell, I think that Shankly sold off almost the whole team he inherited when he arrived to LFC. That's what I want to see from Rodgers. If he thinks that Llorente fits his bill, I'd be more than happy to see him at LFC. I just don't want anymore Carroll and Henderson scenarios of past season.

No Men in the Box Redux

Keyboard Warrior
Liverpool of old mainly bought players who fit the manager's style of play, they weren't buying any good player and then trying to fit them into the side. Hell, I think that Shankly sold off almost the whole team he inherited when he arrived to LFC. That's what I want to see from Rodgers. If he thinks that Llorente fits his bill, I'd be more than happy to see him at LFC. I just don't want anymore Carroll and Henderson scenarios of past season.
What went wrong with Carroll and Henderson was that they aren't very good players to begin with in the first place. They had potential, don't get me wrong, but a combination of expectations, the burden of a big price tag, and their own inconsistent progress meant that they never did become the player everyone hoped for. For both Carroll and Henderson, we bought potential. With Llorente, we would be buying outright quality.

Macedonian_Red

Banned Users
If Rodgers can't incorporate a tactically developed player like Llorente into his system, then I will be seriously disappointed with our manager ... Llorente is not some one trick pony like Huntelaar ... He is a superbly developed player in tactical terms, and makes the other attackers around him better players ... Just look at the performances of Muniain last season (9 goals and 8 assists in 58 games), when he was playing next to Llorente, and this season (1 goal and 2 assists in 20 games), when Llorente has been frozen out of the team ...

OhYaBeauty

Accomodating Llorente into the team shouldn't be a measure used against Rodgers. If he bought Llorente and couldn't adapt him into the team, that'd be a worry. But if he doesn't want him, then that's no indictment of the man. He doesn't need to be a pragmatic mastermind, he just needs to be good at his system.

Also, what he does for Muniain is completely irrelevant

benjamin

Cant see why we would want him. Not suited to possesion football at all. And if the news about west ham shockingly not wanting carrol is to be believed i cannot see us even making an inquiery. Leaving us with two out of place expensive players.

Status
Not open for further replies.