• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Fernando Llorente (ST) Athletic Bilbao

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
I think he just means if Llorente's heart is set on joining Juventus and won't sign for another team.
Nope, I think gingerbread thinks everyone who owns football club wants to get their player off their wage bill. What makes one think Bilbao would entertain loan deal when they know they want to cash in right now? It is worth a try, if Bilbao accept our bid and Llorente don't want to come, then that's another story.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
If Llorente decide to go to Juventus, and Juventus pay to get him in January, then we hold no chance. Still should make a decent bid for him, in case Llorente change his mind.

But if Juventus decides to wait out till summer, and Llorente block any transfer plan in January in waiting for Juventus, then the least we could do is get him on loan. We pay him 3-4 mil include wages, max. And he gonna immensely improve out attacks options. He may love us so much that he scratch the Juventus deal by the end of this season

Nikola

"Oh, history writer, don't close the pages yet!"
Admin
Jay ‏@Jay82_LFC
At the latest fan session, BR said that Suarez in future will play as wide forward close to a clinical striker! Totally makes sense #LFC

ILLOK, the argument is settled, mate! :) Joking aside, this is what I wanted Rodgers to clarify. I'm all in favour of signing someone like Llorente or Ba (provided he stays fit) now.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
If Llorente decide to go to Juventus, and Juventus pay to get him in January, then we hold no chance. Still should make a decent bid for him, in case Llorente change his mind.

But if Juventus decides to wait out till summer, and Llorente block any transfer plan in January in waiting for Juventus, then the least we could do is get him on loan. We pay him 3-4 mil include wages, max. And he gonna immensely improve out attacks options. He may love us so much that he scratch the Juventus deal by the end of this season
If he blocks any move, why would he then move to us? Sit out his current contract would have been more ideal than coming over to one of the most physical league in Europe, if not the most physical. It would have been a risk for him and for the club as well. Just do not add up that idea.

We need to get our head off the idea of "paying wages on behalf" thing. That's a Liverpool thing, may not necessarily be a thing for other clubs in the world.

OhYaBeauty

Jay ‏@Jay82_LFC
At the latest fan session, BR said that Suarez in future will play as wide forward close to a clinical striker! Totally makes sense #LFC

ILLOK, the argument is settled, mate! :) Joking aside, this is what I wanted Rodgers to clarify. I'm all in favour of signing someone like Llorente or Ba (provided he stays fit) now.
Wow, is that true? Any chance I could get a link to audio or just an article that quotes him saying that? Completely opens things up for the transfer window. Previously I had sort of dismissed the idea of any central striker coming in, but if Rodgers said that, looks like we're in the market for one. I still hope we buy a right forward, though...

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Seems logical he wants to move to juve. Top team in italy, challenging titles, in UCL KO,Have a good line up[probably after madrid,barca,UTD, they are the favourites].

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Wow, is that true? Any chance I could get a link to audio or just an article that quotes him saying that? Completely opens things up for the transfer window. Previously I had sort of dismissed the idea of any central striker coming in, but if Rodgers said that, looks like we're in the market for one. I still hope we buy a right forward, though...
tbh, wont get carried away. We were certain to nail dempsey signing. It only means, "IF" we sign a proper striker, then we will shift suarez to a wide forward.

lfc.8

Jay ‏@Jay82_LFC

A clinical striker indeed would be welcomed. But Borini, Sturridge, Ba etc are not it. Llorente would be good. But it's more a wait and see for now.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Yeah guys he said Suarez would be creating for somebody getting into the penalty area from wide or maybe the number 10 role. Definitely seemed to be saying he wanted an out an out centre forward but a very mobile goal hungry one.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
if BR has said that, i can only think that his targets are players, currently playing a different role and who are known to want to play in that position....Sturridge and Walcott for example, as i thought he had said recently that he wanted to play Suarez there.

Either that, or he cant find/ afford wide forwards to bring in, and is trying to be practical.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
if BR has said that, i can only think that his targets are players, currently playing a different role and who are known to want to play in that position....Sturridge and Walcott for example, as i thought he had said recently that he wanted to play Suarez there.

Either that, or he cant find/ afford wide forwards to bring in, and is trying to be practical.
The analysis he gave (with the help of an over used tea cup) was that the front three would be very close in to each other with a number 10 behind them and the width coming from the wing backs.

TFC

TIA Squad Member

I think that he's just not trying to write off any strikers for this window. He can't say he's keeping Suarez in the center and then go after Huntelaar or Ba for example. If we sign someone like Sturridge or Walcott I expect Suarez will stay in the middle like he does when Borini is playing.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Or is it part of making the position more palatable to sturridge or Walcott. Both have expressed desire to play centrally and the fact they are not is a bone of contention with current club. If he says I'm looking to fill the position with a player with the capabilities THEY believe they have well the likelihood of them accepting a transfer to the club increases. Doesn't sit well with me tho...

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
If he blocks any move, why would he then move to us? Sit out his current contract would have been more ideal than coming over to one of the most physical league in Europe, if not the most physical. It would have been a risk for him and for the club as well. Just do not add up that idea.

We need to get our head off the idea of "paying wages on behalf" thing. That's a Liverpool thing, may not necessarily be a thing for other clubs in the world.
Because if he stay out of his current contract, he will go missing for another 8 months, and it will damage his stock value for future deal/ sponsorship. We often heard about how players are hunger for game time. To keep them sharp and getting famous is a reason. To keep their image floating in media is another. I remember one of Chelsea or our player (can't remember which one now) was advised to run up to celebrate goal with everyone else, just so he can appear on camera during that instant

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
In any case gingerbread, Bilbao would never let him off on loan. They want the money to reinvest, and the sale price would be far more than the half season wages they would have to pay to him. Also, Llorente does not really have to worry about sponsorship and future commercial deal, he is already a known player and I am sure his wages in Juve will give him more than enough money.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Aren't Bilbao 6 months away from seeing him walk for nothing?

To be honest, it sounds like this is a good old-fashioned screwing by Juve. He will end up going there at the end of January for a pittance.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular

To be honest, it sounds like this is a good old-fashioned screwing by Juve. He will end up going there at the end of January for a pittance.
If he's got his heart set on going there, then you're probably right. If Juve is the only real option Athletic will pretty much be left pants down and sleeveless, their only option being forcing Llorente to see his contract out and pray for reconciliation.

However, if he's more open minded about where he wants to go I'll be amazed if nobody puts up a fight and throws more money on the table. And very disappointed if we don't at least try.

Reactions: TFC

1dragon

TIA Regular
We should at least put up a bid. It may force Juve to bid higher and as a consequence, miss out on other targets!

On a more serious note, any try is worth than not trying at all. I am sure if we had tried but failed for instance, Cazorla, LFC fans might not have been so upset.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We should at least put up a bid. It may force Juve to bid higher and as a consequence, miss out on other targets!

On a more serious note, any try is worth than not trying at all. I am sure if we had tried but failed for instance, Cazorla, LFC fans might not have been so upset.

He said yesterday that enquiries had been made over some top players that didnt fancy moving in January. For all we know Llorente might of been one.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
He said yesterday that enquiries had been made over some top players that didnt fancy moving in January. For all we know Llorente might of been one.
reliable journalists have made comments that we have had an interest in him and Huntelaar, and that we felt there was little chance of landing them, and i can only think from the way these comments had been worded that we had made rnquiries and not been given positive signals

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
reliable journalists have made comments that we have had an interest in him and Huntelaar, and that we felt there was little chance of landing them, and i can only think from the way these comments had been worded that we had made rnquiries and not been given positive signals
Agreed, although have to say I left feeling he was very unconvinced anything like that would happen but watching the video later he was actually a lot more positive and open than my memory suggests just seemed to be keeping expectations down more than anything. So fingers crossed we do see some top class established attacker come in still.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Of course we have little chance... Ayre started his conversation with.. "We are not in Champs League, so we need you to come in and play for our talented manager Rodgers to help him get to the Champs League. So you need to take non-CL pay scheme first. What do you think? No? Alright then..." lol

SF Red

TIA Regular

Feels a lot like Afellay to Barca 2 years ago. They really screwed PSV on that transfer - 2.5m!

Then again, if you look at what has happened since he went to Barca, the one who made out worst was Afellay.

Nikola

Admin
http://www.athletic-club.net/web/main.asp?a=0&b=1&c=1&d=1000&berria=12753&idi=2

Athletic confirm what we always knew - Juventus are in talks to sign Llorente and should move there next summer.

Nikola

Admin
On a free transfer? Isn't he on the last 6 months of his contract with Athletic?
Yep, they are trying to get him on a pre-contract. Bilbao seem to want to punish Llorente and let him rot in Reseves or something like that.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Yep, they are trying to get him on a pre-contract. Bilbao seem to want to punish Llorente and let him rot in Reseves or something like that.
Apparently its some pride thing. Some analysts were saying they expect other Spanish clubs to pressure them to sell him now so money's coming into the league at least.

REDSkins

TIA Youth Team
Well this allows Athletic to maintain their "we don't sell our best Basque players" mantra. Him leaving on a free is different than them accepting a transfer fee, and the implications of it.

Juventus was always the most logical destination for the player, I thought...but we'll see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.