Firmino accused of racial slur

Discussion in 'The Albert - LFC Talk' started by i_still_miss_fowler, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Serdar Ekrem İleri

Serdar Ekrem İleri Gerrard Generation

Holgate is a complete problem child.He literally pushed Firminho from the back for no football related reason and that certainly qualifies as ''assault''.Liverpool should take counter action based on this argument.

FGred likes this.

2. yiannos33

yiannos33 TIA Reserve Team

I wouldn’t say it was an assault,but in any other sport being hockey,basketball,nfl,a hit after the play or out of play it’s a definite penalty or send off.

FGred likes this.
  3. Scott Jones

Scott Jones Blunt

The shove was dangerous and cowardly but not just to Firmino but the crowd also,the fact he didn't go and check on Bobby shows what kind of person this is,disgusting behaviour which will no doubt be forgotten

4. William Clarke

William Clarke redshirt

Absolutely correct, Scott, when you call it a cowardly act followed by a complete disregard as to Bobby's wellbeing. As for being forgotten, yes, eventually, but Reds will remember it for a while yet.

5. lfc.eddie

lfc.eddie "¿Plata... O Plomo?" Valued Member

Not sure if it's planet earth because the second line you have there applies nearly every part of the world my friend. :-)

6. LFC4EVR

LFC4EVR Active Member

Couldn't the FA make an announcement saying it has taken this seriously, provide their review steps as part of their due diligence work at the time of this announcement, show their deliberation when reviewing. Something along the lines of: "we've reviewed the video", (after figuring out how to get it to play) "and see no case of racism". However, we are seriously throwing the book at Holgate for screaming "racist", wasting our time forcing a review, and regard his behavior as a case of trying to get away with dangerous behavior with a two handed push on Firmino which incited the whole event. And slap the ref with a fine for bottling the whole situation in the first place by not red carding Holgate.

FGred and Aipher like this.
  7. Serdar Ekrem İleri

Serdar Ekrem İleri Gerrard Generation

Think of it this way: What if Firminho hit his head on a metal object and got a serious injury ? That was certainly a possibility.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 5:11 PM
    mikodelniko13 and FGred like this.
  8. NYRhockey

NYRhockey Well-Known Member

Too bad this isn't hockey, because we'd send our enforcer after him and punch his face off in the next game ;-)

9. Arminius

Arminius FSG PR plant Moderator

Enforcing in footy is a lost art, but 50/50 aerial balls are a great opportunity.

10. Kanonkop

Kanonkop Well-Known Member

Gerard on Fellaini for example!!!

11. Arminius

He was only playing the ball

12. ILLOK

ILLOK In the Danger Zone.

He doesn't do it in the shithouse way microphonehead does either, just runs straight in and nuts him.

Lowton_Red, James H, YeGra and 4 others like this.
  13. Arminius

A common misperception. He follows through his header in the direction he was travelling to arrive at the ball, and there was incidental contact.

Lowton_Red, James H and FGred like this.
  14. seino

seino New Member

Nothing in this at all. The world and his dog can see what Firmino said, and it wasn't a racial slur. Whether Holgate misheard or (more likely) embellished, this investigation should be dropped pretty quickly. But while they're looking over video footage of the incident, how about a retroactive ban for Holgate's violent conduct that could have seriously injured our #9?

FGred and William Clarke like this.
  15. Noo Noo

Noo Noo Well-Known Member

I dont know you know. It all happened pretty quick and he had to make up the ground between his position and the incident. He did quite well to get in between them I think and given that Firminio was the one advancing at the time it seems logical to hold him back.
    Anyway we are where we are.

FGred likes this.
  16. Wyld@Heart

Wyld@Heart Well-Known Member

Not about the racism row but about the debate raging around the push. If that is Hazard, or Jesus, or Özil or any of United's dweebs they get launched into the crowd, stay down, hobble on, fall down again and generally act like they're seriously hurt. To be fair, Bobby or the fans could have been badly injured. They were not but thats not the 'point'. It was serious foul play and other players, other teams, other leagues would have milked that moment silly and in all likelihood with the crowd baying and players surrounding the ref Holgate would have been done for the evening and then slowly roasted in the media for the rest of the week.

Firmino leaps back onto the pitch like a salmon, charges onwards and suddenly he's the one looking a little bit loco. The ref judged the outcome here, not the actual event, and the outcome was a fit and raging Bobby that he felt he had to restrain and once that happened and Holgate makes his claim then any inclination to punish Holgate goes out the window. Streetwise they call it and how I wish we were a little more of it. I know Klopp has come out against the dark arts but other teams are feeling no such twinges of morality.

17. cardiffpete

cardiffpete TIA Reserve Team

FA have got a serious problem here. If they clear Bobby here (as they should!), then Holgate gets hung out as a clear liar and will be vilified for making false accusations. But they also cannot punish him for this either, as it would then maybe send out the wrong "message" aka qua politically-incorrect-stuff. FA have to come with some wording to just sweep everything under the carpet here. That's what they will most want to do most aka forget it ever happened.

They have to spin it just enough to try to make it sound semi-believable. That's the only thing the FA are investigating atm, is how to put a positive spin on events - not whether a push into concrete was dangerous or reckless (it was). Just how to get themselves out of this looking all rosy.

FGred likes this.
  18. FGred

FGred Well-Known Member

While there is a wall of silence everywhere why are we waiting! Why are we waiting!

mikodelniko13 and William Clarke like this.
  19. Limiescouse

Limiescouse Well-Known Member

Very well said. This is one the biggest bug bears of mine with the way refs work these days. As you suggest, had Bobby milked it and stayed in the crowd for a little while, I have no doubt Holgate would have got a red.

20. 1dragon

1dragon TIA Regular

If I remember correctly some years back, Nani was on a receiving end of a hard tackle by one of our players. He stood up pretty quickly after that and confronted the player in question. Moments later, he went down grimacing in pain. Maybe that is why he was not a United player for much longer...

That being said, this lack of "street smartness" makes me proud and frustrated to be a Liverpool fan. Proud because I can take the moral high ground and say that Liverpool players are not serial cheats. Frustrated because well, honesty do not seem to pay off on the pitch.

Does the FA work on weekends? Because I feel as though an announcement will come just before this weekend's match, or before the next away game. Just to mess up our season further.

FGred likes this.
  21. vermontrojo

vermontrojo New Member

shittiest thing about this is the most likely outcome is the FA releases a statement that says something like "there wasn't enough evidence" to ban bobby, which still implies that he did make a racist remark. most likely holgate is off the hook, FA cowardly saves their own asses by making the safest move possible, and firmino's reputation is tarnished

FGred likes this.
  22. macca1970

macca1970 New Member

Holgate fails to deal with a ball from his keeper, Firmino is on to him and nips in front of him. Initially, Holgate tries a genuine defender style no complaints push, which Firmino is trying to use his strength to shrug off. Holgate realises he’s messed up, the red mist gets in his eyes, and he shoves Firmino hard when already out of the playing area.

Outwitted, outfought, dumbfounded. Then acts like a 5 year old in a man’s (?) body. Petulant.

23. Medjool

Medjool Member

One of my favourite's that, it was Carra. Nani in tears and then abused the lads with the stretcher as he was going off, priceless.

FGred likes this.
  24. Medjool

Medjool Member

Pity the ref didn't think to have a "di Canio push moment" when Holgate laid his grubby paws on him.

FGred likes this.
  25. Rambler

Rambler Bootle Boy

The last thing "they" (whoever they are) would want is one side to run away with it and virtually have it won in November. A league dominated by just one team (Scottish Pub League a case in point) is a media disaster. The EPL would no doubt much prefer it to go to the wire with 4 or 5 sides still in the mix.

26. Irishanfield

Irishanfield Well-Known Member

What I mean for this season the fa would be happy for city to break all records and to be seen as the greatest team ever. In the long term no of course they dont want one team to dominate

FGred likes this.
  27. Rambler

Rambler Bootle Boy

I doubt the EPL as a body care who wins it particularly as long as the TV money keeps rolling in and the brand continues to grow.

Also as the EPL is wholly owned and run by the participating clubs I would think the ideal scenario is for different winners each season.

Not sure that they would welcome any meddling or bias from the FA.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 9:39 AM
    FGred likes this.
  28. Danielzu

Danielzu Danielzu

Any information on when the decision is made?

FGred and SBYM like this.
  29. Lowton_Red

Lowton_Red Well-Known Member

As far as I can ascertain, no timetable has been announced. So it's still all up in the air. Typical of the FA.

SBYM likes this.
  30. SBYM

SBYM I'm just living the dream

Opened this thread to ask this very question.

Good work, goise.

FGred likes this.