• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

First Time Visit to Anfield/Liverpool

LuisSuarez

TIA Reserve Team
I hope this is the right place to post about this..

I’m looking for some insight from you reds who live/lived/visited the Liverpool area. We’re taking a train up to Liverpool on April 25th from London to hopefully catch the Burnley match later that day. This is our first time to England as we are coming from the states.

So, my questions to you guys are, what are some good hotels to stay at near the stadium, which train station should we take, good pubs/bars before/after the game. I know it’s forever away, but I like to be prepared!

Thanks again

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member

I’m looking for some insight from you reds who live/lived/visited the Liverpool area. We’re taking a train up to Liverpool on April 25th from London to hopefully catch the Burnley match later that day. This is our first time to England as we are coming from the states.

So, my questions to you guys are, what are some good hotels to stay at near the stadium, which train station should we take, good pubs/bars before/after the game. I know it’s forever away, but I like to be prepared!

Thanks again
Congrats! You’ll love it.

First thing is that the game could be moved to another day and time as tv schedules for April will come out around 6 weeks prior. However, it should be a day before or max 2 days after original date.

There’s loads to do in Liverpool - book a stadium tour, Beatles etc - you could spend a good few days and you won’t get bored.

In terms of around anfield, everyone has different preferences but I’m usually at a place called hotel Tia where Jamie Webster first properly started and still there 2 hours prior to kick off.

I also go to the kop bar (under the kop). Then make my way to the game.

I think there’s a section on anfield on main site, and also official site.

But send me a message closer to the time, and if I’m at the game will be happy to meet you.

Need to get @Scott Jones up this season!

Alright Now

Congrats! You’ll love it.

First thing is that the game could be moved to another day and time as tv schedules for April will come out around 6 weeks prior. However, it should be a day before or max 2 days after original date.

There’s loads to do in Liverpool - book a stadium tour, Beatles etc - you could spend a good few days and you won’t get bored.

In terms of around anfield, everyone has different preferences but I’m usually at a place called hotel Tia where Jamie Webster first properly started and still there 2 hours prior to kick off.

I also go to the kop bar (under the kop). Then make my way to the game.

I think there’s a section on anfield on main site, and also official site.

But send me a message closer to the time, and if I’m at the game will be happy to meet you.

Need to get @Scott Jones up this season!
I’ll be on the next flight out there if @Scott Jones agrees to visit.

LuisSuarez

TIA Reserve Team
Hi Red_Jedi!

I appreciate all the information! I’m praying that the game does not get moved as we will only be in the London area for a few amount of days before we go to Paris...bleh

I will definitely message you once we get closer to the game and plan on meeting up. There any chance you or you know someone who might have 2 extra tickets for sale for the wife and I? My last resort is StubHub even if I have to pay $400 a ticket! I don’t know if I will ever be able to watch a match at Anfield in this lifetime.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Hi Red_Jedi!

I appreciate all the information! I’m praying that the game does not get moved as we will only be in the London area for a few amount of days before we go to Paris...bleh

I will definitely message you once we get closer to the game and plan on meeting up. There any chance you or you know someone who might have 2 extra tickets for sale for the wife and I? My last resort is StubHub even if I have to pay $400 a ticket! I don’t know if I will ever be able to watch a match at Anfield in this lifetime.
You can message me around a month before for tickets, but have a look at hospitality - it’s cheaper than stub hub and you’ll get a nice experience! That way you are guaranteed a ticket - but as I said the game could get moved!

I think the hospitality tickets for the 2nd half of the season get released in October/November - but I’d give them a call and explain your situation - I’m sure they’ll sort you out!

the Bull

Don't Panic :P
Hoping to make my 1st trip to Anfield myself (American) for the Hammers match. Handy this thread just started as I haven’t been on here for a year or two. Anybody reckon the chances on picking up some West Ham tickets on the members sale in Nov.? Would be the last allotment of course.
I think the hospitality tickets for the 2nd half of the season get released in October/November - but I’d give them a call and explain your situation - I’m sure they’ll sort you out!
Thanks for this. I figured as much since the Hospitality offering stopped at the Sheffield match.

igor_piss_can

Thanks again
Wouldn't recommend staying near the stadium mate, if you're here for a few days then you're much better off staying in the City Centre. Anfield is a pretty run down area and there isn't much there at all apart from the ground. More or less everything you need to see in Liverpool apart from the football is in the city centre (and maybe Strawberry Fields which is a 15 minute bus journey to the south of the city), you'll obviously pay a little bit extra for the hotel but it'll definitely be worth it

If you're getting the train from London you'll be probably getting off at Liverpool Lime St, this is the main station which connects us to the rest of the country. In terms of getting to Anfield from the centre there are unfortunately no train links but buses are very regular and stop just a stonesthrow away from the station. I usually get the 12,13 from the centre, get off at West Derby Rd, Tuebrook and then walk up to the ground from there (you'll see the sea of Liverpool fans the closer you get so it's just a case of following them). Or if you prefer to take a taxi to the stadium there is a huge rank outside of Lime St, shouldn't cost you more than about £10

It gets pretty busy in the bars around Anfield before the game - The Sandon Pub is probably your best bet as it's one of the biggest & they have an army of staff on during match days so the wait to get served isn't too bad. Or if the weather is nice & you want to save on the money, you can pick up a few cans of beer from a store by the stadium and drink them in the car park next to the Sandon - a lot of people prefer to do this & it saves a potentially long wait at the bar to be served.

Last edited:

LuisSuarez

TIA Reserve Team
Wouldn't recommend staying near the stadium mate, if you're here for a few days then you're much better off staying in the City Centre. Anfield is a pretty run down area and there isn't much there at all apart from the ground. More or less everything you need to see in Liverpool apart from the football is in the city centre (and maybe Strawberry Fields which is a 15 minute bus journey to the south of the city), you'll obviously pay a little bit extra for the hotel but it'll definitely be worth it

If you're getting the train from London you'll be probably getting off at Liverpool Lime St, this is the main station which connects us to the rest of the country. In terms of getting to Anfield from the centre there are unfortunately no train links but buses are very regular and stop just a stonesthrow away from the station. I usually get the 12,13 from the centre, get off at West Derby Rd, Tuebrook and then walk up to the ground from there (you'll see the sea of Liverpool fans the closer you get so it's just a case of following them). Or if you prefer to take a taxi to the stadium there is a huge rank outside of Lime St, shouldn't cost you more than about £10

It gets pretty busy in the bars around Anfield before the game - The Sandon Pub is probably your best bet as it's one of the biggest & they have an army of staff on during match days so the wait to get served isn't too bad. Or if the weather is nice & you want to save on the money, you can pick up a few cans of beer from a store by the stadium and drink them in the car park next to the Sandon - a lot of people prefer to do this & it saves a potentially long wait at the bar to be served.
This is great information, thank you! I guess the first blessing I need for all of this to happen is the game to not move from Saturday. When did you guys say they be confirmed again?

If the game does stay on Saturday, my game plan would be to leave London at 7:00am and travel to Liverpool. Is it really a 3 hour train ride? Take the train to the Liverpool station and get a tax to our hotel and check in, find a taxi to take us from the hotel to the pub/ground area. Then leave the next day for Paris. It’s a short trip to Liverpool but the things we do for this club and once in a life time experiences! (Hopefully not, I would love to maybe catch 2-3 more before my time is up) hah.

igor_piss_can

This is great information, thank you! I guess the first blessing I need for all of this to happen is the game to not move from Saturday. When did you guys say they be confirmed again?

If the game does stay on Saturday, my game plan would be to leave London at 7:00am and travel to Liverpool. Is it really a 3 hour train ride? Take the train to the Liverpool station and get a tax to our hotel and check in, find a taxi to take us from the hotel to the pub/ground area. Then leave the next day for Paris. It’s a short trip to Liverpool but the things we do for this club and once in a life time experiences! (Hopefully not, I would love to maybe catch 2-3 more before my time is up) hah.
I've never taken the train to London before but I do believe the Virgin trains only take around 3 hours to Lime St. I think you'll definitely be best staying in the City Centre if this is the case, that way you'll be able to get off the train & then check in / drop your bags straight off at a hotel. We have a Holiday Inn hotel which is literally right opposite Lime St station, it isn't too expensive compared to others & would be a good base as it's right next to the train station / taxi rank and also the main bus station if needed.

In terms of the fixtures, they usually get confirmed in blocks around 2 months beforehand. As you know Burnley aren't a massive team so it could remain a 3PM Saturday kickoff. Although if we are in the middle of a title challenge like last season there is a good chance they will move it to one of the TV slots (If you look at last season I don't think we played a 3PM UK time Saturday kickoff from about March onwards). If they move it to a slot for TV it will either be (I think) 8PM Friday, 12PM Saturday, 5PM Saturday, 12PM Sunday, 2PM Sunday, 4PM Sunday or 8PM Monday

Last edited:

RazvanLFC

Good timing of this thread :)
Would the area around City of Liverpool College on Roscoe street be a good place to stay for a few days? I will be visiting Liverpool (and Edinburgh) in October.

LuisSuarez

TIA Reserve Team
I've never taken the train to London before but I do believe the Virgin trains only take around 3 hours to Lime St. I think you'll definitely be best staying in the City Centre if this is the case, that way you'll be able to get off the train & then check in / drop your bags straight off at a hotel. We have a Holiday Inn hotel which is literally right opposite Lime St station, it isn't too expensive compared to others & would be a good base as it's right next to the train station / taxi rank and also the main bus station if needed.

In terms of the fixtures, they usually get confirmed in blocks around 2 months beforehand. As you know Burnley aren't a massive team so it could remain a 3PM Saturday kickoff. Although if we are in the middle of a title challenge like last season there is a good chance they will move it to one of the TV slots (If you look at last season I don't think we played a 3PM UK time Saturday kickoff from about March onwards). If they move it to a slot for TV it will either be (I think) 8PM Friday, 12PM Saturday, 5PM Saturday, 12PM Sunday, 2PM Sunday, 4PM Sunday or 8PM Monday
We land into London on Thursday so I wouldn’t be too pissed if it’s moved to Friday but Sunday could push it.

Maybe my last question, what time do they start letting people into the stadium and when do the teams begin warmup?

Last edited:

igor_piss_can

This again is all great info! We land into London on Thursday so I wouldn’t be too pissed if it’s moved to Friday but Sunday could push it.

Maybe my last question, what time do they start letting people into the stadium and when do the teams begin warmup?

I’m not going to ask about tickets yet because these things seem to be like gold! Which they should be, but damn! A lot harder getting a ticket than games over here in the US.
Not sure when exactly the warm-ups start as I usually get inside about 15 minutes before K.O and they're usually just finishing up as I get in. I'd hazard a guess that they start warming up around an hour before the kickoff (45 minute session, then 10 minutes to get stripped and have the final team talk). I think it's possible to get into the stadium an hour or two before kickoff if you really want to. Just be aware though that if you like a beer you unfortunately can't drink in your seat - this is why a lot of people get into the ground pretty close to kick off. You can have a beer in the foyer beforehand or at half time but the stewards won't allow you to take it to the stands.

And yepp tickets are extremely hard to get hold of. They're sold in a couple of batches & with the Burnley game being towards the end of the season the member's sale won't be for another few months so you're best assessing your options around then. There'll definitely be some knocking about but I'd hold fire until the new year first

igor_piss_can

Good timing of this thread
Would the area around City of Liverpool College on Roscoe street be a good place to stay for a few days? I will be visiting Liverpool (and Edinburgh) in October.
Yep Roscoe Street is great. You'll be right by the Georgian Quarter which is probably my favorite area of the entire city. Plenty of bars & restaurants nearby and the Albert Dock area is only about a 10-15 minute walk away

LuisSuarez

TIA Reserve Team
Not sure when exactly the warm-ups start as I usually get inside about 15 minutes before K.O and they're usually just finishing up as I get in. I'd hazard a guess that they start warming up around an hour before the kickoff (45 minute session, then 10 minutes to get stripped and have the final team talk). I think it's possible to get into the stadium an hour or two before kickoff if you really want to. Just be aware though that if you like a beer you unfortunately can't drink in your seat - this is why a lot of people get into the ground pretty close to kick off. You can have a beer in the foyer beforehand or at half time but the stewards won't allow you to take it to the stands.

And yepp tickets are extremely hard to get hold of. They're sold in a couple of batches & with the Burnley game being towards the end of the season the member's sale won't be for another few months so you're best assessing your options around then. There'll definitely be some knocking about but I'd hold fire until the new year first
You are like a miniature buddha...just full of knowledge! I arrive about 30 minutes to games here in the states because I have been there before and seen everything plenty of times. But a once in a life time opportunity like this, to be able to soak it all in would just be awesome. Yes, yes, I do love beer so I plan on making plenty of trips to the foyer before kickoff.

I am messing around on Stubhub right now and looking at tickets vs Arsenal this Saturday and I notice something weird about tickets. Some of the row columns say "BEST SEATS", "NA14", "NA7", "FRONT ROWS", "BEST", or they don't even list a row. What kinda shit is that? Surely I should stay away from tickets like that, right?

igor_piss_can

You are like a miniature buddha...just full of knowledge! I arrive about 30 minutes to games here in the states because I have been there before and seen everything plenty of times. But a once in a life time opportunity like this, to be able to soak it all in would just be awesome. Yes, yes, I do love beer so I plan on making plenty of trips to the foyer before kickoff.

I am messing around on Stubhub right now and looking at tickets vs Arsenal this Saturday and I notice something weird about tickets. Some of the row columns say "BEST SEATS", "NA14", "NA7", "FRONT ROWS", "BEST", or they don't even list a row. What kinda shit is that? Surely I should stay away from tickets like that, right?
Oh definitely mate. If you're in early it won't be too busy so you'll be fine walking to the front of the stand & getting a few photos / videos next to the pitch. They have the music playing out of the tannoy from about an hour before K.O so the atmosphere is pretty good.

In terms of the likes of StubHub I've never bought Sports tickets from a third party website before so I'm not too sure on what the red flags will be in that regard, but I'm sure there'll be people on here who will have & are able to assist. Tickets for the Main Stand will be the most expensive, especially the closer to the pitch your seats are & I think the Kenny Dalglish stand which is parallel will be a similar price. I imagine the Kop will be pretty expensive on third party sites too although it's the cheapest stand if you were to buy direct in the member's sale. This leaves the Anfield Rd end which I personally think is the best as it is parallel to the Kop so you get a superb view of YNWA etc. I've also found it the easiest to get tickets for as most prefer either the Main Stand or the Kop

Dhoff3

TIA Squad Member
Just one bit of advice from another American who's been out there a few times now; do yourself a favor and get yourself a Homebaked Anfield Shankly pie before the game. We don't have anything quite like it in America, so delicious.

Semmy

tho your dreams be tossed and blown
Ad-free Member
Ahhhh yes good memories. We picked up an AirBnB walking distance from Cavern Club

My taxi driver back from the match gave me his number, was offering a room and ticket package but no idea how reputable these blokes are.

Bucket list stuff tho. Roar of the Kop, meeting some fantastic gents. Bevs and soaking it all in. Fucking amazing. @ptt @Red_Jedi legends

Last edited:

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Ahhhh yes good memories. We picked up an AirBnB walking distance from Cavern Club

My taxi driver back from the match gave me his number, was offering a room and ticket package but no idea how reputable these blokes are.

Bucket list stuff tho. Roar of the Kop, meeting some fantastic gents. Bevs and soaking it all in. Fucking amazing. @ptt @Red_Jedi legends

I still have the pics with you and @ptt - that was amazing wasn't it!

Reactions: ptt

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Great advice from @igor_piss_can .

There are supporters clubs throughout the country - and there is one in Hertfordshire - which is north london... if you can find their contact details, they maybe able to sort a ticket for you and also transport - they run coaches to games - direct to anfield and back. So if you are tight for time, this could be an option. I'm sure on the main LFC site there is a list of supporters clubs.

LuisSuarez

TIA Reserve Team
I think I may just look into that hospitality thing that you mentioned, @Red_Jedi. So, do you get a ticket and like a lunch before the game, is that how that works? Has anyone here ever done this before? If so, pros/cons would be helpful.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
I think I may just look into that hospitality thing that you mentioned, @Red_Jedi. So, do you get a ticket and like a lunch before the game, is that how that works? Has anyone here ever done this before? If so, pros/cons would be helpful.
I've done hospitality a few times - there are different options. Have a look at the main site. Sometimes you get to meet an ex player, you get some food and drink, match programme - and its all done in comfort.

Thomas cook also do hotel packages with ticket - but they charge extortionate prices. I think the hospitality is worth it, a little expensive but a nice way to celebrate something, or if its a one off visit.

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I am going for my 2nd visit in September and fingers crossed, I get a ticket for the Newcastle match. I usually stay further down the docks area and this time I book myself 3 nights in Dolby Hotel, price is pretty ok for the location I guess. And I do drive so free parking is important to me. Anyway enjoy!

GermanRed

from doubters to believers to sky-high achievers
Thanks to @Red_Jedi i'll be able to watch the home game against Leicester on Saturday October 5th.

Am landing in Manchester in the morning at 8:30 and need some help to plan the travel to Liverpool and finding a hotel (hopefully not more than £100m for the night). Hotel shouldn’t be too far away from the train station because I need to be back at Manchester airport on Sunday morning.

cynicaloldgit

Resident Misanthrope
Ad-free Member
... and finding a hotel (hopefully not more than £100m for the night).
o_O You should be able to find something well within your budget.

I always stay at Hope Street Hotel when I go to Liverpool but it does tend to get booked up early on match days.

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member
Thanks to @Red_Jedi i'll be able to watch the home game against Leicester on Saturday October 5th.

Am landing in Manchester in the morning at 8:30 and need some help to plan the travel to Liverpool and finding a hotel (hopefully not more than £100m for the night). Hotel shouldn’t be too far away from the train station because I need to be back at Manchester airport on Sunday morning.
That’s good time to land. Get a train from the airport to Liverpool - drop your bag at hotel and get to the stadium. Around 15 mins from Liverpool city centre. Manchester to Liverpool will take around an hour.

I’ve got your ticket for you - look forward to meeting you!

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Ad-free Member

Your other option is to get a hotel at Manchester Airport itself. Get a train to Liverpool, and go back to Manchester at night. Even if you got a taxi on Saturday night, I'm sure it wouldn't cost too much.

belldiouf

TIA New Signing
I've done the Bootroom hospitality package previously. The biggest pro is not having to worry about getting a ticket, which is a big deal if you have limited time in Liverpool. The downside is that you don't really have much time to soak up pre-match atmosphere outside Anfield in the bars, and the atmosphere in the stand can be a little sanitized. I found most of the pre-match bars were pretty empty 3-4 hrs before a 3pm kickoff. So I settled on the bar under the Kop, as most people who were a few hours early were in the stadium precinct. I then went to the Bootroom restaurant around 1pm.

The package itself involved access to the club museum, 3 course meal starting about 2hrs before kickoff and a seat in the Anfield Rd stand. Terry Mcdermott was the former player and I heard he is pretty regular at this event. He told some old stories, talked about the current teams performances and then stopped for photos. He was very friendly, but you could tell he was over it by the 300th photo with a fan. After the match, you go back to the Bootroom for 1hr for tea/coffee and sandwiches. Booze is not included, but you can buy it. After that, I went back to the bar under the Kop and watched the later game of the day. By the time the later game was done, many of the bars around Anfield were relatively empty. So I went back to the city and Concert Square area, which was much livelier and full of fans celebrating post match.

Id much prefer to have access to a ticket from another source and experience proper pre and post match atmosphere, but id also not enjoy the stress of buying ticket from a tout and worrying whether it was legitimate or not. Lastly, do the stadium tour as well. I did mine 2 days after the match and you got to walk all around the stadium, alongside the pitch and touch the sign. It also has access to the museum which I didn't really have time to experience properly during the hospitality package.