Football distraction for those in need (like me)!

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
So the world is too scary for football to really matter too much right now. Things are dark, people are worried, heroes are trying to get this through this keeping the infrastructure of our societies going, caring for our sick and manning our supermarkets whilst the rest of us try to do our bit by living under mutually agreed house arrest.

In such times football may well change for good and the future is a road shadowed in darkness and doubt. But it still matters to many of us and it's great to see how many clubs, especially ours, are doing so much to help so many.

With all that said without football I (and hopefully I not alone) find myself without the one thing that would be a perfect distraction during these times. So I was thinking that if talk of the future seems like it might be a bit pointless right now let's look at the past.

So I'm opening my first ever thread on here, try to be kind!

Jurgen Klopp has, as we know, constructed the best side we have seen in so many years its ridiculous. But if we could pick the best of the best of Liverpools recent past would they give Klopps boys a run for their money?

The challenge is to construct a team of players that didn't play for Klopp, we will limit it to be since 2000 for now, and list the season of the player in question. Choose your manager from those from this millennium and the tactics/formation they will play in under that manager.

Rule 1: Can't pick a player more than once (no Suarez on LF from one season and Suarez at CF from another season as an example).
Rule 2: Can't pick unrealistic tactics/formations for a manager, it's got to be how they could realistically set up.
Rule 3: No players Klopp has had at his disposal.
Rule 4: List the season you are choosing each player from after their name.
Rule 5: Best team choices/efforts to be picked by fellow forumites and nobody is allowed to see their arse if others don't appreciate your footballing genius! It's only for fun and opinions are like arseholes, everyone has their own.

They are going up against:

Alisson;
Alexander-Arnold, Gomez, Van Dijk, Robertson;
Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum;
Salah, Firmino, Mane.

Helmed by Klopp playing as per this season in 433.

On the bench is Adrian, Matip, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Keita, Minamino, Origi.

Hoping this is received in the intention meant and some people at a loose end are willing to throw their opinions on here or this thread will die a quick death!

cynicaloldgit

#MbappéonaBosman2022
Ad-free Member
Nice idea to waste some time. My squad:

Reina
Babbel
Hyypia
Agger
Riise
Mascherano
Alonso
Gerrard
Suarez
Torres
Kuyt

Subs:
Dudek
Carragher
Aurelio
Hamann
McAllister
Smicer
Fowler

4-3-3 formation with Mascherano as the DM and Suarez cutting in from the left; I couldn’t be bothered listing individual seasons.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Ok so I'll make my suggestions;

Playing under Kenny Dalglish, feel bad on Rafa as he is the better manager but picked the King because I want to use the tactics from Jan 2011 till Summer 2011 of lots of pass and move, fluid movement around the front four attacking players in a kind of chaotic 4231 or even, at times, 424 formation.

Reina(05/06); Finnan (05/06), Hyypia (00/01), Agger (12/13), Aurelio (08/09); Alonso (08/09), Mascherano (08/09); Garcia (04/05), Gerrard (08/09), Suarez (13/14); Torres (07/08).

Bench; Dudek (04/05), Carragher (04/05), Arbeloa (08/09), Hamann (00/01), Sterling (14/15), Benayoun (07/08), Owen (00/01).

Found myself heavily influenced on years we won or nearly won stuff as opposed to years the players actually had better seasons sometimes, maybe makes my side weaker than it could be.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Reina 6/7
Finnan 4/5
Carragher 4/5
Hyypia 0/1
Riise 5/6
Mascherano 8/9
Gerrard 4/5
Alonso 6/7
Sterling 14/15
Torres 7/8
Suarez 13/14
(4-4-2 diamond)

Benitez

Guessing a bit in terms of their best seasons

Bench:

Dudek, Arbeloa, Agger, Meireles, Riera, Garcia, Owen

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Reina
Babbel
Hyypia
Carragher
Riise
Mascherano
Alonso
Gerrard
Suarez
Torres
Owen

Bench: Dudek, Finnan, Agger, Sissoko, Benayoun, Kuyt, Garcia

Everyone seems to be doing similar players.

What about an opposition 11 that have impressed against Liverpool in the same time period?

Hakan Yakin (3-3)
Aimar (2-0 in the Mestalla)
Drogba (4-1)
Di Natale (2-3 at Anfield, absolutely brilliant)
Kaka (...)
Henry (The 4-2 where he put Carragher on his arse)

Some obvious ones to get started.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Reina
Babbel
Hyypia
Carragher
Riise
Mascherano
Alonso
Gerrard
Suarez
Torres
Owen

Bench: Dudek, Finnan, Agger, Sissoko, Benayoun, Kuyt, Garcia

Everyone seems to be doing similar players.

What about an opposition 11 that have impressed against Liverpool in the same time period?

Hakan Yakin (3-3)
Aimar (2-0 in the Mestalla)
Drogba (4-1)
Di Natale (2-3 at Anfield, absolutely brilliant)
Kaka (...)
Henry (The 4-2 where he put Carragher on his arse)

Some obvious ones to get started.
Arshavin, Fraser, De Gea, Bolasie off the top of my head

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Grobbelar 87/88

Finnan 04/5 Carragher 04/5 Hansen 85/6 Risse 04/5

Gerrard 04/5 Souness 83/84

C. Johnston 83/84 Barnes 87/88
Dalglish 78/79

Rush 83/84
Subs: Reina, Agger, Hyypia, McMahon, Kewell, Kuyt, Torres