• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Football Writer's Award: Hendo deservedly wins it!

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
I think it would be a travesty if a Liverpool player does not win this award this year.

" According to one of the founders of the prize, Charles Buchan, it goes "to the professional player who by precept and example is considered by a ballot of members to be the footballer of the year" both on and off the pitch."

Based on that, I cannot go any further than Henderson or Mane, although many others in the squad would be deserving winners too. Not going to do a poll since this award will be given very soon on Friday. What do you all think?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
I think it would be a travesty if a Liverpool player does not win this award this year.

" According to one of the founders of the prize, Charles Buchan, it goes "to the professional player who by precept and example is considered by a ballot of members to be the footballer of the year" both on and off the pitch."

Based on that, I cannot go any further than Henderson or Mane, although many others in the squad would be deserving winners too. Not going to do a poll since this award will be given very soon on Friday. What do you all think?
Tbf, Marcus Rashford must stand a very good chance here, in a similar way to when Sterling was awarded it. Personally, I would give it to Henderson for his contributions to the league winning team and for his leadership with regard to PlayersTogether. However, Rashford forced a change in government policy to the benefit of millions of poor, vulnerable and underprivileged families. I couldn't begrudge him the award were he to win it - perhaps they'll give it to both of them? That would seem fitting to me.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Tbf, Marcus Rashford must stand a very good chance here, in a similar way to when Sterling was awarded it. Personally, I would give it to Henderson for his contributions to the league winning team and for his leadership with regard to PlayersTogether. However, Rashford forced a change in government policy to the benefit of millions of poor, vulnerable and underprivileged families. I couldn't begrudge him the award were he to win it - perhaps they'll give it to both of them? That would seem fitting to me.
Rarely disagree with you but it shouldn't be a humanitarian award, there are loads of places to recognise such services to causes.
Its a football award, and should go to the best player of the season. Mane.

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !

Pahahaha! Don't worry Pep, new chequebook on the way...
it always amazes me when someone has a glittering career as player and manager, who has the cheque book to buy who he wants and the infrastructure to keep manu in the shade for the next few years, he has weath and standing, and their cant be many things to achieve in life that he hasnt done (from his perspective) and yet he comes out with such childish comments which would fit more to a ten year old city fan.
Maybe he just takes his success for granted and has no way to deal with defeat.

Zoran

They should keep it simple, unless a certain player did something terrible off the pitch, I don't know.

I'd still give it to De Bruyne. As for us, Mane was our best player.

Although I've lost count how many different awards there is. Cool if we get one.

waldaz

TIA Youth Team
it always amazes me when someone has a glittering career as player and manager, who has the cheque book to buy who he wants and the infrastructure to keep manu in the shade for the next few years, he has weath and standing, and their cant be many things to achieve in life that he hasnt done (from his perspective) and yet he comes out with such childish comments which would fit more to a ten year old city fan.
Maybe he just takes his success for granted and has no way to deal with defeat.
Haha yeah, also imagine being arsed about individual awards when you've just won the big thing. Give it to their tea lady for all I care.

[email protected]

Pahahaha! Don't worry Pep, new chequebook on the way...
Really is a symptom of the fact that deep down he knows that whatever he may achieve with City will never really compare to what Liverpool have done under Klopp. It's eating away at him and manifesting itself in the constant gripes about how we get all the recognition.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
This is why he wins it, the leader and glue of the most impressive squad for years not just on individual ability which is what the others relied on;

"But as grateful as I am I don't feel like I can accept this on my own. I don't feel like anything I've achieved this season or in fact during my whole career has been done on my own. I owe a lot to so many different people -- but none more so than my current teammates -- who have just been incredible and deserve this every bit as much as I do.

"We've only achieved what we've achieved because every single member of our squad has been brilliant. And not just in matches. Not just in producing the moments that make the headlines and the back pages but every day in training.

The players who've started the most games for us this season have been as good as they have been because of our culture and our environment at Melwood. No one individual is responsible for that -- it's a collective effort and that's how I view accepting this honour," he added.

"I accept it on behalf of this whole squad, because without them I'm not in a position to be receiving this honour. These lads have made me a better player -- a better leader and a better person.

"If anything I hope those who voted for me did so partly to recognise the entire team's contribution.

"Individual awards are nice and they are special and I will cherish this one. But an individual award without the collective achievement wouldn't mean anywhere as much to me -- if anything at all."

geebo

Geebo Age unknown !
Well done Jordan Henderson. A great captain who has achieved what no other Liverpool captain has achieved by lifting those 4 trophies.
He joins an illustrious list of past Liverpool winners: Callaghan, Keegan , Hughes, Dalglish (2) Mcdermott, Rush, Barnes (2), Suarez, Nicol,, Gerrard and Salah.
Any younger people who cant remember the earlier success of Liverpool, well, this is what it feel like ! and we felt like this year after year after year after year.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
How do they know what really happens off the pitch, what do they even include in that? Interviews?
I'd guess it's the public image of the player. If you look back at all his public statements since last summer, also about other things than football, then Hendo deserves it utterly. The way he behaved himself through the covid crisis for instance, deserves nothing but recognition imo.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
This is why he wins it, the leader and glue of the most impressive squad for years not just on individual ability which is what the others relied on;

"But as grateful as I am I don't feel like I can accept this on my own. I don't feel like anything I've achieved this season or in fact during my whole career has been done on my own. I owe a lot to so many different people -- but none more so than my current teammates -- who have just been incredible and deserve this every bit as much as I do.

"We've only achieved what we've achieved because every single member of our squad has been brilliant. And not just in matches. Not just in producing the moments that make the headlines and the back pages but every day in training.

The players who've started the most games for us this season have been as good as they have been because of our culture and our environment at Melwood. No one individual is responsible for that -- it's a collective effort and that's how I view accepting this honour," he added.

"I accept it on behalf of this whole squad, because without them I'm not in a position to be receiving this honour. These lads have made me a better player -- a better leader and a better person.

"If anything I hope those who voted for me did so partly to recognise the entire team's contribution.

"Individual awards are nice and they are special and I will cherish this one. But an individual award without the collective achievement wouldn't mean anywhere as much to me -- if anything at all."
Damn, he's a proper captain, isn't he? It's hard to imagine now there was a time not so very long ago where his fitness to wear the armband was under debate.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
To be honest not sure why you’d award it to anywhere but a Liverpool player, De Bruyne has been good but they will finish at least 15pts behind us and we’ve been on holiday for 7 games.

Anyhow congratulations Jordan and his statement is everything I’d expect of Jordan to say,he is a class and humble lad who will now go down in the History of a club steeped in it.

Last edited:

Kopstar

★★★★★★
Rarely disagree with you but it shouldn't be a humanitarian award, there are loads of places to recognise such services to causes.
Its a football award, and should go to the best player of the season. Mane.
The FW Player of the Year Award specifically takes into account factors beyond what an individual did on the pitch. It isn't just about who was the best player that season (unlike the PFA award, which is much more about the performance on the field).

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
The FW Player of the Year Award specifically takes into account factors beyond what an individual did on the pitch. It isn't just about who was the best player that season (unlike the PFA award, which is much more about the performance on the field).
Sound.
Dont agree with those parameters but understand why you acknowledge Rashford.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Damn, he's a proper captain, isn't he? It's hard to imagine now there was a time not so very long ago where his fitness to wear the armband was under debate.
Its because too many people (including a vast majority of managers and clubs) don't see it as a leadership thing. The star player, longest servant or most likely to be playing are all the ones frequently given the armband. Our captain is captain because he actually leads, he has self belief, professionalism, authority and sets an example on and off the pitch. He is a much underappreciated footballer too whose abilities on the pitch make him top class in the pisitions he plays but he's not a Stevie G type, he's not the star player making it happen. But Stevie had Carra, between the two of them they led the side on and off the pitch neither would have made a good captain on their own they had too many things they lacked individually. Henderson may not match Stevie on playing ability but he's a complete, fully rounded, leader.

waldaz

TIA Youth Team
To be honest not sure why you’d award it to anywhere but a Liverpool player, De Bruyne has been good but they will finish at least 15pts behind us and we’ve been on holiday for 7 games.

Anyhow congratulations Jordan and his statement is everything I’d expect of Jordan to say,he is a class and humble lad who will now go down in the History of a club steeped in it.
I think the team he plays for shouldn't be an issue. The year Salah won the PFA award we never challenged for the title, but surely you had to reward his absolutely stellar season. If De Bruyne wins it,I don't think it will be undeserved.

(But if Hendo wins again, or maybe Sadio, it will be worth it just for the fume. Congrats Captain!)