Football Writer's Award: Hendo deservedly wins it!

legalalien

Watcher of the skies

Pahahaha! Don't worry Pep, new chequebook on the way...
I suppose grapes from Manchester must be more than a bit sour.

Anyway, fuck off Pep. This has more than made my day. I kind of feel more elated by this news than I was by the trophy lift.

It's great to see professionalism and perseverance, allied with real footballing ability, getting its just rewards.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I think the team he plays for shouldn't be an issue. The year Salah won the PFA award we never challenged for the title, but surely you had to reward his absolutely stellar season. If De Bruyne wins it,I don't think it will be undeserved.

(But if Hendo wins again, or maybe Sadio, it will be worth it just for the fume. Congrats Captain!)
Salah broke records for a league that's nearly 30 years old. De Bruyne has been quite good. Levels.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Quite right, that Salah season was stunning, KDB has done ok, but has not displayed the quality on and quite important in a season like this off the field.

To me it’s the impact a player has, City have digressed this season and they are nowhere if we are honest, Salah‘s first season was out of this world and lifted us quite considerably.

If I’m honest I’d consider Nick Pope if we are looking at good players this season.

Strange that so many people wish to talk the team down after the season they’ve had.

Henderson deserved this, end of, then again the team deserves it.

waldaz

TIA Youth Team
Salah broke records for a league that's nearly 30 years old. De Bruyne has been quite good. Levels.
De Bruyne could also break the PL assist record. I mean, I'm not talking about this specific case, and again I'm not too bothered by it. Just pointing out that individual awards should be for individual performances alone, imo.
Maybe Hendo will win again, or maybe Sadio, Trent, Virgil etc. We have so many candidates, that's why we are the best team, and that's the most important thing.

FGred

well deserved.
His Kloppesk speech after receiving the award Underlined why he fully deserved to get it a polite and humble lad from the northeast

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
De Bruyne could also break the PL assist record. I mean, I'm not talking about this specific case, and again I'm not too bothered by it. Just pointing out that individual awards should be for individual performances alone, imo.
Maybe Hendo will win again, or maybe Sadio, Trent, Virgil etc. We have so many candidates, that's why we are the best team, and that's the most important thing.
Even if De Bruyne picks up another 2 assists and breaks the record that record has never been that unattainable at 20. De Bruyne currently has 30 goal contributions it really isn't that impressive a season. In comparison Salah had 43 goal contributions. Salah had as many assists as De Bruyne had goals but 32 goals is a hell of a lot more impressive than 19 assists. De Bruyne is a good player, having quite possibly his best season. But the way Salah performed that year there is no way you couldn't give him those personal awards. Obviously same can't be said for De Bruyne this year.

Red Armada

TIA Regular

Pahahaha! Don't worry Pep, new chequebook on the way...
He should manage Everton. His bitterness would fit right in.

This is why he wins it, the leader and glue of the most impressive squad for years not just on individual ability which is what the others relied on;

"But as grateful as I am I don't feel like I can accept this on my own. I don't feel like anything I've achieved this season or in fact during my whole career has been done on my own. I owe a lot to so many different people -- but none more so than my current teammates -- who have just been incredible and deserve this every bit as much as I do.

"We've only achieved what we've achieved because every single member of our squad has been brilliant. And not just in matches. Not just in producing the moments that make the headlines and the back pages but every day in training.

The players who've started the most games for us this season have been as good as they have been because of our culture and our environment at Melwood. No one individual is responsible for that -- it's a collective effort and that's how I view accepting this honour," he added.

"I accept it on behalf of this whole squad, because without them I'm not in a position to be receiving this honour. These lads have made me a better player -- a better leader and a better person.

"If anything I hope those who voted for me did so partly to recognise the entire team's contribution.

"Individual awards are nice and they are special and I will cherish this one. But an individual award without the collective achievement wouldn't mean anywhere as much to me -- if anything at all."
Νow, that's a Captain.

CymruRed

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
This award is the Writers Player Of The Year,not the Player Of The Year,it's given for what players have done ON and OFF the field.

Hendo wins this hands down,not only for his achievements ON the field,Captaining our club to a European Super Cup,World Club Cup and Premier League Title,but also for the work he done getting everyone together for the Covid19/NHS charity OFF the field.

De Bruyne and Sterling had a decent season on the pitch,with the latter working on race off the field,then Rashford has had a decent season on the pitch for himself (United have been shite) yet did great things OFF the field changing government policy.No doubting all 3 have done good things this year but none have achieved an almost perfect season ON the pitch aswell as OFF it,like Hendo has.

Alright Now

GaryC

Ummmm, no quotes from Brendon? :unsure:
Brendan wanted to sell him to Fulham if my memory serves me right. Hendo winning the award also gives Sir Alex a black eye for his “awkward running gait” remarks.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Brendan wanted to sell him to Fulham if my memory serves me right. Hendo winning the award also gives Sir Alex a black eye for his “awkward running gait” remarks.
Think "want" is strong word. Important to remember how fucked up things where that summer. No recruitment team, new manager, limited resources. We had almost no attackers and were absolutely desperately in need of someone and Dempsey was kind of the only target we could have brought in. Think we were trying to offer anything they'd accept. Henderson didn't have a nailed down role in the side at the time and think he was asked if that was what he wanted, he said no so it didn't go any further.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
Well done Jordan Henderson.

It is not easy at all to fill huge boots of Gerard, who is a Scouser and a world class midfielder. Jordan received alot criticism from all corners including us Reds, he worked so hard, tirelessly and he does all the untidy and boring jobs on the pitch. He is also such a humble person and the charity and support work he does off the pitch especially during the lockdown for the NHS and BLM movement is remarkable. He deserves all the accolades he gets.
He proved his critics wrong, the boy from Sunderland will be part of LFC's illustrious history under the Klopp era.

Last edited:

Limiescouse

Brendan wanted to sell him to Fulham if my memory serves me right.
No he didnt. It was Fulham who tried to make the Dempsey deal happen by asking for Hendo. Brendon didnt want to do that deal, but at that point didnt consider Hendo integral so took the offer to him to see if he wanted to go somewhere where he'd have more a guarantee of playing. Hendo said no and Brendon said good.

jim bouki

Get in lad! Thoroughly deserved!!! A leader of champions. He's been nothing short of sensational, when he's on the pitch it feels like Klopp himself is out there directing traffic. Pep will be up all night crying on the coke conjuring up Liverpool conspiracies, wiping his tears with dirty oil money to console himself.