Four Games to go - Prediction time

Stoke can really hurt us....in many aspects including injuries and fatigue in between our Roma clashes ....so that's the fixture we do an Everton encore and go with our "B+" side.

Hoping this Thursday Burnley will get at least a draw.....(Chelsea surely will want to avoid injuries before their Sunday FA Cup semi).....
Then we'll hopefully get the job done against Brom in 60 mins and give 3 players a rest....

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
Well, West Brom did Utd one nil. I don't know whether to celebrate that or not. We've got them next week, and I was sort hoping their resolve would be crushed.
I’ll make it easy for you then with my comprehensive flow chart

UTD win—-> Be upset.

UTD lose—> be happy.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
It's easy. If they don't beat us they go down. A draw isn't enough. Means they have to attack and that should help us to finish them off.
Yes, they need to win every single game at all cost. But you have seen how they played, they are not going to go all out guns blazing against us. Their best chance is to hit counter attack, so both centre halves and our fullbacks need to be alert. Loose ball will need us to win it back quickly.

RedForever2014

See I think we should play a pretty strong team this Saturday - as if we rest some players then it would mean 11 days without playing (until Roma 1st leg)... which could ruin "game rhythm".

Hence, I'd go with strongest 11 (but not risk any slight injuries at all) - and then maybe rest some for the Stoke match which is in-between the 2 Roma ties.

Luckily, Klopp knows much better than me.
Fair enough. I do think it wouldn't hurt some of them to have 11 days rest before Roma. Maybe a combination of some having 90, some a total rest and some 60 or 30 at West Brom.

I do think the Stoke game could be the one to make wholesale changes, but I'd still make a few for West Brom.

I think as Eddie said they'll sit back and try and do us on a set piece. Obviously that means that in normal play we can potentially risk Klavan, Moreno and/or Clyne, or one or two of them. But on set pieces clearly our first choice defence would be best. Tricky one.

As to attack, I think I'd have Ings leading the line, even if he's the only change, to do the pressing on their defenders, make block tackles and so forth.

Let him take the stick from their centre backs and instruct Mo and Mane to be careful, closing down but not risking impact injuries.

Sometimes with teams already relegated they get some decent results in the run-in, as they're suddenly playing without the crushing pressure as the worst has already happened. With the possibility of survival suddenly revived, but needing a near-miracle to achieve it, it's possible the pressure will really get to them. So it's a difficult one to gauge.

Bearing in mind their favoured way of 'playing', it does feel like one the Liverpool not even of old but last season, or arguably earlier this season, would contrive to lose, so a good opportunity for us to set down a marker for the rest of this and next season and show we really have changed as much as we think we have.

I think we should focus on the champions league now. I don’t think obsessing over the battle for 3rd or bragging rights over united are worth fighting for when we have a chance of glory in Europe.
Keep players fresh for Roma and play a string teams vs Brighton.

GermanRed

I think we should focus on the champions league now. I don’t think obsessing over the battle for 3rd or bragging rights over united are worth fighting for when we have a chance of glory in Europe.
We have this midweek off and after the WBA game saturday afternoon until tuesday evening - should be enough rest. I would still make some changes. Clyne for TAA, Klavan for Lovren or VvD, Moreno for Mané.

Noo Noo

Not until top 4 is a certainty for me.

Plus, as athletes they need to keep playing / moving to some degree. There's rest but they cant just stop, that is just as detrimental as over playing.

It would be nice to think that the game vs Chelsea will be a dead rubber with regard to the top 4 and I think we need 6 points to make that a certainty (assuming Chelsea win all remaining games) but I think that game may become a bit more crucial when it arrives.

I would be 100% on board with rotation for the Stoke game.

So for me play strongest side against West Brom and Roma. Rotate for Stoke and then back to normal service for Roma away and then Chelsea will be whatever is needed.

Crossing fingers that is manageable

Last edited:
Team. P. W. D. L. GF. GA. GD. Pts
Liverpool. 34. 20. 10. 4. 78. 35. 43. 70
Chelsea. 33. 18. 6. 9. 57. 33. 24. 60

The most points Chelsea can achieve by winning all of their remaining games is 15 points, which would take their points total to 75 points. Therefore, two more wins by us and we have qualified for the Champions League next season. JOB DONE.

Klopp was asked about resting players and the CL games before Bournemouth. He talked about rhythm, shape, momentum. Got quite passionate about it so I doubt you'll see many players rested at all with the possible exception of the Stoke game where we might see an Everton-style line up. He's managed the squad brilliantly this season. Got a lot of stick for the rotation around the November/December mark but it was all designed to ensure we finished the season strongly rather than fell over the line. I don't think it's a coincidence that you no longer hear people talking about Klopp's 'methods' wearing out the players.

Just as we'll be in the CL next season, WBA will be in the Championship. They know they're going down and playing with a freedom they didn't have before so we will need to be at our best and strongest to beat them. Still, them beating Utd was a great result for us. It highlighted what a wretched team Utd are, how their best players only turn it on when they want to and how much an ever increasing section of the fanbase hates Mourinho. All good news for us. Plus it means there's now an outside chance of us finishing second, which is where we deserve to finish.

LFCFFC

I understand the need to avoid counting chickens etc etc, but we're pretty much there. Back to back CL qualification along with (at least) a semi-finals appearance will be absolutely massive for the club and it's looking like an opportunity being grasped with both hands.

Klopp's shown himself as an advocate of continuity, so aside from the Stoke game where I'd expect another B-team, we'll see the first XI rolling out for the other 6 (or 7!?) games. 0 points from West Brom, Chelsea and Brighton would be highly unlikely...as will 15 points for Chelsea from Burnley, Liverpool, Huddersfield, Swansea and Newcastle. The Chavs were being summarily battered by fucking Southampton until the Saints realised that they might be saving themselves from the abyss and promptly jumped over the edge.

We got this. Primarily because Jurgen's making sure it's drilled into their heads that we don't got this yet.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
Sometimes with teams already relegated they get some decent results in the run-in, as they're suddenly playing without the crushing pressure as the worst has already happened. With the possibility of survival suddenly revived, but needing a near-miracle to achieve it, it's possible the pressure will really get to them. So it's a difficult one to gauge.

Bearing in mind their favoured way of 'playing', it does feel like one the Liverpool not even of old but last season, or arguably earlier this season, would contrive to lose, so a good opportunity for us to set down a marker for the rest of this and next season and show we really have changed as much as we think we have.
I have always attributed that phenomenon of relegated teams suddenly playing better to the fact that players who have been playing sort of desperate 'scrape a point' sort of team styles stop doing that, and start playing more freely (as you say) and with greater individual intensity as they try to attract attention in hopes of staying in the division themselves.

Klopptinho

I have always attributed that phenomenon of relegated teams suddenly playing better to the fact that players who have been playing sort of desperate 'scrape a point' sort of team styles stop doing that, and start playing more freely (as you say) and with greater individual intensity as they try to attract attention in hopes of staying in the division themselves.
perhaps it will rub off on studge lol

RedForever2014

I am nervously coming around to the idea of going with our strongest 11 at West Brom.

If they have a good week, look fresh to the manager, maybe they can use West Brom as a de facto intense training exercise, before two day's rest and recovery before Roma. I would maybe like to see Ings lead the line and Moreno give Robertson a rest though.

What I find a little bit concerning is that in the most intense of periods, we don't really have obvious rotation options without risking the result against the bottom two.

As a result we're risking injuries, fatigue and not getting those who could be called on in the CL sharpened up.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
I am nervously coming around to the idea of going with our strongest 11 at West Brom.

If they have a good week, look fresh to the manager, maybe they can use West Brom as a de facto intense training exercise, before two day's rest and recovery before Roma. I would maybe like to see Ings lead the line and Moreno give Robertson a rest though.

What I find a little bit concerning is that in the most intense of periods, we don't really have obvious rotation options without risking the result against the bottom two.

As a result we're risking injuries, fatigue and not getting those who could be called on in the CL sharpened up.
I think you're getting at this in your post, but there is more than one way to rest players.

Against Bournemouth it looked like the lads managed the game in second gear, and could have stepped up the intensity massively if needed.

I'd be up for going relatively strong against West Brom - I'd rest the full backs and one of the front three. The rest instructed to not go for risky 50/50s or chasing lost causes.

See where we are on 60 and if we can get a few lads off. Or up the insensitive. Either way, we can manage our way through this.

Irishanfield

I only know one Burnley fan - lifelong! And he would love Europa league.

I understand what you are saying that it could drastically impact their league performance- but that would be their challenge.

Sean Dyche, with that sexy voice, had worked wonders... and the challenge of Europa would be a great test for him.

I think they may have Europa already?
They have europe Unless Southampton win the the fa Cup

I think you're getting at this in your post, but there is more than one way to rest players.

Against Bournemouth it looked like the lads managed the game in second gear, and could have stepped up the intensity massively if needed.

I'd be up for going relatively strong against West Brom - I'd rest the full backs and one of the front three. The rest instructed to not go for risky 50/50s or chasing lost causes.

See where we are on 60 and if we can get a few lads off. Or up the insensitive. Either way, we can manage our way through this.
Yeah I agree. To be honest, one of my arguments about ensuring you have top quality in every department, and as deep as possible into the squad, is that quality players can often win matches without getting out of second gear. Often in fact because the opposition don't bother, due to your reputation.

City have had a lot of easy matches because opponents were beaten in their minds before they stepped onto the pitch. It used to be the same with United. Over a season that's a huge benefit. If you are making up for a lack of quality via effort, playing full throttle all the time, it does wear players out. It's the mad dashes to close down, stretching into tackles, and heavy impacts, which causes a lot of injury problems.

It's been noticeable that the better quality we've brought in, the less intensive we've had to be. I'd like to see that become even more the case.

As to West Brom, the main thing I'd like to see is Ings leading the line. I want him being the one pressing their centre backs, covering back, making the block tackles, taking the stick, taking one for the team in fact. Mane and Salah should basically focus on staying out of trouble defensively, and on causing it offensively by way of goals.

The full backs are important to us, and I see no reason why Moreno shouldn't start the league matches to rest Robbo. Ditto Clyne.

It is important that we win this one, whether as one of the two wins, or to finish the job if Burnley take points off Chelsea.

They have europe Unless Southampton win the the fa Cup
Luckily Southampton will still be in the cup when Burnley play Chelsea.

I do think Burnley might fancy taking 6th off Arsenal for kudos reasons regardless, which they have a real chance of if they beat Chelsea.

Chelsea have difficult matches away at Swansea and Newcastle. Plus of course us at home, though they are good enough that we can't be sure of taking something off them.

But it's the Burnley match where I see them most at risk of dropping points in the matches other than against us.

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Yeah I agree. To be honest, one of my arguments about ensuring you have top quality in every department, and as deep as possible into the squad, is that quality players can often win matches without getting out of second gear. Often in fact because the opposition don't bother, due to your reputation.

City have had a lot of easy matches because opponents were beaten in their minds before they stepped onto the pitch. It used to be the same with United. Over a season that's a huge benefit. If you are making up for a lack of quality via effort, playing full throttle all the time, it does wear players out. It's the mad dashes to close down, stretching into tackles, and heavy impacts, which causes a lot of injury problems.

It's been noticeable that the better quality we've brought in, the less intensive we've had to be. I'd like to see that become even more the case.

As to West Brom, the main thing I'd like to see is Ings leading the line. I want him being the one pressing their centre backs, covering back, making the block tackles, taking the stick, taking one for the team in fact. Mane and Salah should basically focus on staying out of trouble defensively, and on causing it offensively by way of goals.

The full backs are important to us, and I see no reason why Moreno shouldn't start the league matches to rest Robbo. Ditto Clyne.

It is important that we win this one, whether as one of the two wins, or to finish the job if Burnley take points off Chelsea.
I always used to say that in their pomp United were worth 15 points a season through teams just not bothering to turn up against them. If teams had had a go, I don't think they'd have the all the titles they got.

I'm probably getting this wrong, but wasn't their a scandal where Warnock rested his entire first team against United because they had a relegation game the following week?

Anyway, I agree with your team. Ings for Firmino, and rotate the fullbacks. Rest one of the midfielders we're playing against Roma (maybe Hendo).

Red_Jedi

Anfield kick about
Interesting midweek games - depending on what happens to Spurs, United and Chelsea- we could be 2nd place by Saturday afternoon.

Not that finishing 2nd or 4th really matters. Good to have Gomez back too, and hopefully Lovren is ok too. We are in a significantly healthier position than this time last season.

And we have those semi's to look forward to.

Irishanfield

Luckily Southampton will still be in the cup when Burnley play Chelsea.

I do think Burnley might fancy taking 6th off Arsenal for kudos reasons regardless, which they have a real chance of if they beat Chelsea.

Chelsea have difficult matches away at Swansea and Newcastle. Plus of course us at home, though they are good enough that we can't be sure of taking something off them.

But it's the Burnley match where I see them most at risk of dropping points in the matches other than against us.
Ya but any dropped points in that game virtually seals us 4th spot

I always used to say that in their pomp United were worth 15 points a season through teams just not bothering to turn up against them. If teams had had a go, I don't think they'd have the all the titles they got.

I'm probably getting this wrong, but wasn't their a scandal where Warnock rested his entire first team against United because they had a relegation game the following week?

Anyway, I agree with your team. Ings for Firmino, and rotate the fullbacks. Rest one of the midfielders we're playing against Roma (maybe Hendo).
I remember something when someone effectively gave up the points to United and rested their side. Didn't realise it was Warnock.

Interesting midweek games - depending on what happens to Spurs, United and Chelsea- we could be 2nd place by Saturday afternoon.

Not that finishing 2nd or 4th really matters. Good to have Gomez back too, and hopefully Lovren is ok too. We are in a significantly healthier position than this time last season.

And we have those semi's to look forward to.
Is Gomez back? That'd be great news. Hoping Lovren is ok, he's definitely our main man after VVD. Be nice to be back to 8 defenders, with just Matip out.

As to league position, I read that you make more money in the CL if you finished in a higher league position to qualify. Not a reason to push for second at the expense of the semi, but a nice bonus if you manage to combine both.

Arminius

FSG PR plant

I think you are garbling Warnock's involvement. When Warnock was with the Blades, it was a disgrace that Rafa fielded a weakened side against Fulham (2007) and put SU into more relegation trouble. In 2009, when ManU did the same thing versus Hull, Warnock was vocal about how that was just fine, ManU were entitled to their own priorities.

Klopptinho

I think you are garbling Warnock's involvement. When Warnock was with the Blades, it was a disgrace that Rafa fielded a weakened side against Fulham (2007) and put SU into more relegation trouble. In 2009, when ManU did the same thing versus Hull, Warnock was vocal about how that was just fine, ManU were entitled to their own priorities.
but it was actually all west hams fault . cheating bastards .