• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Friendly: LFC 0-1 Celtic

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
2,489
Brendan Rodgers takes Liverpool to Ireland for our final pre-season friendly with Celtic in Dublin.

The game will be played at the Aviva Stadium on Saturday 10th August with kick-off at 5pm
 


lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
2,489
I expect we will start with what Rodgers see's as our strongest 11, and the side that will start against Stoke, hopefully Sturridge will get a run out in the 2nd half.

Expect something like this.

Mignolet
Johnson - Toure - Agger - Enrigue
Lucas - Gerrard - Allen
Sterling - Aspas - Courtinho
 
  • Like
Reactions: RMP

Lockhart

New Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2013
Messages
145
Excited about this game. Going to be great to see the lads first game against decent opposition this season. I'd probably start Borini and move Aspas to the right though. It would be ideal for him to get a goal or two before the season starts.
 

jayrrardno8

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
1,170
this is going to be a really good test for us Celtic already have a few competitive games under there belts.
They will be wanting to prove themselves because all the slagging off Scottish football gets.
I think Br will put out his first 11 that will play against Stoke
 



S

showmethemoney

Guest
MATCH PREVIEW

Brendan Rodgers takes his side to Ireland for a prestigious friendly with Celtic in Dublin.

The game will be played at the Aviva Stadium on Saturday, August 10 with kick-off at 5pm BST. Tickets will be priced between €10-55 and will go on sale later this month.

Billy Hogan, chief commercial officer at Liverpool FC, said: "We last played Celtic almost a decade ago so we are thrilled to get this event in our pre-season calendar.

"Both at Liverpool and Celtic, we are fortunate to have two of the most passionate fan bases in the world and this fixture in Dublin is a chance to bring them together once again."

The Bhoys were the first team Liverpool faced following the Hillsborough tragedy as part of a memorial fixture on April 30, 1989. It was at this game when both sets of supporters truly connected as Celtic fans cheered each of the four goals Liverpool scored.

The Reds last played the Scottish champions in a pre-season friendly in Connecticut, USA in July 2004.

Both clubs share a wealth of history spanning more than 120 years each. Celtic were the first British club to win the European Cup in 1967 and Liverpool were the first British club to win the European Cup five times.


http://www.liverpoolfc.com/match/next-match/next-match-preview
 

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Joined
Oct 3, 2010
Messages
13,641
Odd that Billy Hogan comments is it not?

Anyhow hope Sturridge gets some game time if so he might have a chance of being sub come Stoke a week on.
 

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
7,499
We may not have 95,000 in the stadium like the Aussies or greet the team by the thousands at the airport like the Thai's but we can guarantee a good atmosphere and an even better piss up...

Looking forward to this one...
 

Maulkin

LittleFinger
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
300
A victory would be nice as birthday present. ;)

I'm quite confident we can get a result, and I can't wait to see the boys in action again.
 

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
6,982
Maulkin said:
A victory would be nice as birthday present. ;)

I'm quite confident we can get a result, and I can't wait to see the boys in action again.
My bday today, but I'll take a belated gift of a good win against the Hoops.

Solid team likely to be put out. Would be surprised to see Suarez there...although if he is there it might be that he's kissed and made up with everyone.

I'd like to see Mignolet, Johnson, Toure, Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Aspas.

Allen or Henderson's a tricky call I feel. Would love to see Luis Alberto get a start, but doubt that will happen over Allen or Hendo.
 



therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Mar 17, 2010
Messages
1,064
Mignolet
Kelly toure sktrel enrique
Gerrard Lucas Henderson
Ibe aspas coutinho

That would be my team no need to risk agger if he carrying a knock or Johnson. Hopefully we will have a medical lined ho for Monday morning before those silly internationals take place AMD hope everyone comes back fit. Hopefully we put on a good show and give Celtic a beating as they arent in great form but will be a step up. I say the atmosphere will be a bit better than it was in Norway and hopefully the aviva will sell out.
 

T.C.B

Well-Known Member
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2012
Messages
7,309
therealkeano1 said:
Mignolet
Kelly toure sktrel enrique
Gerrard Lucas Henderson
Ibe aspas coutinho

That would be my team no need to risk agger if he carrying a knock or Johnson. Hopefully we will have a medical lined ho for Monday morning before those silly internationals take place AMD hope everyone comes back fit. Hopefully we put on a good show and give Celtic a beating as they arent in great form but will be a step up. I say the atmosphere will be a bit better than it was in Norway and hopefully the aviva will sell out.
The Aviva sold out in record time. I will be there with my kid. Looking forward to it now.
 

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
3,271
Myself, brother and couple sons going too. The train down from north sold out too which is another good sign
 

RedSeven

On the one road
Ad-free Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2010
Messages
5,764
Looking forward to this.Bringing the kids to see their 1st live match,hopefully they get to see a cracker and a win for us
 

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2009
Messages
2,598
therealkeano1 said:
Mignolet
Kelly toure sktrel enrique
Gerrard Lucas Henderson
Ibe aspas coutinho

That would be my team no need to risk agger if he carrying a knock or Johnson. Hopefully we will have a medical lined ho for Monday morning before those silly internationals take place AMD hope everyone comes back fit. Hopefully we put on a good show and give Celtic a beating as they arent in great form but will be a step up. I say the atmosphere will be a bit better than it was in Norway and hopefully the aviva will sell out.
It sold out in 30 mins and I can't find a ticket anywhere , gutted :(
The national team don't even sell out the aviva these days.

Our strongest team to start and play most of the game
 



MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
3,271
Ha just checked the seating plan for tickets I got. Lol seems I'm upper tier so I'll be ducking planes...
 

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
15,600
I can imagine this match being a sell out. I so wish I was going to see this match, I am quite envious with those who are going actually, please do share regular updates on what the atmosphere is like and take loads of pictures.
Both sets of fans are extraordinary vocal wise and I wonder who is going to win in singing the loudest.
Its surreal though, The hoops will probably sing 'The Fields of Anthenry' and LFC will probably sing 'The Fields of Anfield Road'.
 

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2009
Messages
2,598
Maria said:
I can imagine this match being a sell out. I so wish I was going to see this match, I am quite envious with those who are going actually, please do share regular updates on what the atmosphere is like and take loads of pictures.
Both sets of fans are extraordinary vocal wise and I wonder who is going to win in singing the loudest.
Its surreal though, The hoops will probably sing 'The Fields of Anthenry' and LFC will probably sing 'The Fields of Anfield Road'.
And we both sing YNWA, it will be quiet something
 

gb1986

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2012
Messages
1,389
Missing this one because im going camping with my girlfriend, psh... women.

Would like a clean sheet and another aspas goal.

What sort of team are Celtic likely to field?
 

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
15,600
Speckydodge said:
And we both sing YNWA, it will be quiet something
Yes, I have heard it. I have been to quite a few matches in London when Celtic play in the pre-season friendlies (emirate and Wembley cup ones) and have been to Parkhead, it was very entertaining and I had a really good time. I actually sat in the Celtic end and the fans were so lovely and very jolly. It was so nice seeing fans from the two teams swap scarves. When one goes to a football match, this is the type of atmosphere the fans should experience.
I liked Over and Over and Wiley Maley songs, very melodic.
 



King Aldo

TIA Squad Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2010
Messages
1,425
Bringing my daughter to her first LFC "live" match. Really looking forward to it and I heard its a sell out, which is better than even the Irish national team can manage.

Great support for both LFC and Celtic over here, we'll be belting them out from start to finish.

Should be a great day. I'm glad Suarez not coming as he would put a downer on things.
 

Maria

SUPER Champions of Europe VI
Ad-free Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2006
Messages
15,600
King Aldo said:
Bringing my daughter to her first LFC "live" match. Really looking forward to it and I heard its a sell out, which is better than even the Irish national team can manage.

Great support for both LFC and Celtic over here, we'll be belting them out from start to finish.

Should be a great day. I'm glad Suarez not coming as he would put a downer on things.
I am sure your little one is going to be excited. I love it when fans bring their kids to matches, it gives it a more family atmosphere.

I am surprised why the Irish national team matches doesn't get sold out though. I have tried and tried to get a Scotland V England match. I had no chance.
 

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
21,453
---------------Mignolet--------------
Johnson-Toure-Agger-Enrique
-----------------Lucas---------------
----------Gerrard--Allen-----------
----Sterling--Aspas--Coutinho-

Barring a miracle signing, I think that's the team that will be starting against Stoke, so lets get them some time together and fly out of the blocks.
 

tesh

TIA New Signing
Joined
Oct 4, 2010
Messages
1,099
Mascot88 said:
---------------Mignolet--------------
Johnson-Toure-Agger-Enrique
-----------------Lucas---------------
----------Gerrard--Allen-----------
----Sterling--Aspas--Coutinho-

Barring a miracle signing, I think that's the team that will be starting against Stoke, so lets get them some time together and fly out of the blocks.
May have to swap Stirling for Ibe/Borini/another
 

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
Joined
May 24, 2007
Messages
21,453
tesh said:
May have to swap Stirling for Ibe/Borini/another
Following his emotional evening at her majesty's pleasure? You might be right there.
 



tesh

TIA New Signing
Joined
Oct 4, 2010
Messages
1,099
Mascot88 said:
Following his emotional evening at her majesty's pleasure? You might be right there.
It is a shame as he has great potential. This and previous issues (rumoured only as far as I know) seem to be distracting/stalling his development.
 

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Joined
Mar 17, 2010
Messages
1,064
tesh said:
It is a shame as he has great potential. This and previous issues (rumoured only as far as I know) seem to be distracting/stalling his development.
Heard he got nicked. Can't believe it after being in trouble last season. He needs to fined and someone needs to have a serious word with him.
 

Speckydodge

TIA Squad Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2009
Messages
2,598
He's pleaded not guilty so let's give him the benefit till proven guilty eh

Think Allen and Henderson for that midfield spot is most intriguing and probably the closest fought for spot at the moment.