• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Friendly: LFC 0-1 Celtic

auzziez

t34m43 said:
Go on then, answer me, I am interested hear your response, hence why I bother to post here. Oh please grammar is not the discussion here, I actually have a learning disability. Please answer me in terms of football.
The day you stop using the words "you" and "yours" i'd luv to speak to you mate. Until its "we" or "us". :)

R

RedRiot

Not a particularly impressive performance from us, or at least not a complete one. We had moments but it was one of those days where we didn't put anything together in front of goal for the most part. As someone mentioned, I would have liked to see Aspas stay on and replace Downing on the right when Sturridge came on. Would have added to our goal threat and we might have seen a different result. I thought Gerrard was poor almost throughout, which is a shame because he had a massive season last time out, but he looked off the pace and even old, compared to those around him.

In the end, the goal conceded came down to Wisdom struggling against a bigger, more canny forward. At least it's Wisdom rather than a much older Skrtel. Wisdom can improve in that department, Skrtel won't. But Toure did carry Wisdom for much of that first half, cleaning up for his mistakes and generally looked after him when he could. We do need to add a proper first team CB if we plan on selling either Coates or Skrtel, but I feel good going into the season with Toure and Agger, as long as that's the partnership. No Skrtel or Wisdom for any extended stretches.

It's kind of a shame that we haven't had a few more tests of this nature throughout the preseason, as it's a bit of an alert that maybe we need to prepare harder than we thought for the new season and the likes of Stoke. Have Sturridge in from the start with either Sterling, Ibe, or Aspas in place of Downing and you might see a completely different (and more lethal) attack next Saturday. In the end, it might do us well to see we're not quite where we want to be, even if we did some things right.

Urban Achiever

Depressing game, but in all fairness we "could" have easily scored 5 goals.... so had people not been so wasteful it would have been a different impression we'd be left with. Still we must admit, that once we meet some solid opposition... and today... very few players have real top quality.

Mignolet (from what little he was tested)
Kolo
Coutinho
Sturridge

These 4 showed something extra today... even Gerrard wasn't good... and most of the others are simply not at a consistent top level. The club needs to aknowledge this.... what we've done so far is simply not strengthening the first 11.

Add Suarez and Agger to the 4 above and we have the really good players in the group. It's pretty obvious that we cannot afford to even consider selling 20 or 25% of the special talent we have. It's also obvious that we need atleast 2 or 3 direct starters to have a really good team. No excuses..... we need action.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Redaido said:
Lets hope we can take it up a gear against Stoke or the outcome will be the same.

I wish we could have secured a waynama type player in the midfield physically we look very frail... its certainly brought my expectations down a notch or two for this season :(
For all the negatives I think we will, I'm not sure why we bothered with that midweek game this will wake certain players up, for the most part we did play half a team that have already started there season, i think Gerrard has looked like he wants to do it for real and I expect to see us improve we do however need to purchase attacking options and a CB.

I also think it's again like last season we weren't as rotten as some would make out but not as good as others would say we were.

Red_IndianLFC

TIA New Signing
Hopefully this puts a downer on things.
I swear the alcohol in me wanted me to post "We're gonna win the league".
No more.

R

RedRiot

Matt said:
In May, if you asked any LFC fan, the 3 areas needed for improvement this summer were left back, defensive midfield, and right side of attack. We havent signed a single player in these areas. I expected Aspas would play on the right but he's hardly been used there. It's a huge concern. New season but the very same problems exist.
Rather than defensive mid, I would have thought most would have said CB and MAYBE cover for DM. I'll give you the other two, but I think we're on the verge of at least signing LB cover/competition. Not sure about the other two, but there's still time. We need shot of Downing that's for sure, and you hope that come next Saturday, it's Ibe/Sterling/Aspas on the right instead of him.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
Lacked quality in the final third today; a lot of players were sloppy or made the wrong decision in crucial moments (Gerrard, Allen, Henderson, Downing, Johnson). Need someone who can take the right wing spot, we can't start the season with Downing there. We just can't.

This was the sort of game where we could use a Christian Eriksen as the third midfielder, instead of Allen/Henderson. A cool head who doesn't make those small and unnecessary mistakes in the final third and has the ability to make that decisive pass the split second it's on. Could be many of these games at Anfield this season, so I still have a small hope of seeing some movement there.

Great to see Sturridge back; looked surprisingly sharp.

Kolo Toure is boss. Wisdom will be.

auzziez

t34m43 said:
I am surprised people on here get so excited by beating teams in Oz and Malayasia. If you want an idea about how your team will do in the forth coming season then you should write down your first and second 11 currently and then compare it with last years you will have an idea. Players like Allen will not walk into this season without the questions over their head. If you do that writing exercise I think you will find our first 11 has not really improved, our depth has, but individual quality has not. At the end of last season people here were calling out for a CB and forward/AMC depending on where you put Coutiniho, there is a week to go and I am still waiting for those players to arrive.
Hope you'd seen more of "you" than "me" mate

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
t34m43 said:
I am surprised people on here get so excited by beating teams in Oz and Malayasia. If you want an idea about how your team will do in the forth coming season then you should write down your first and second 11 currently and then compare it with last years you will have an idea. Players like Allen will not walk into this season without the questions over their head. If you do that writing exercise I think you will find our first 11 has not really improved, our depth has, but individual quality has not. At the end of last season people here were calling out for a CB and forward/AMC depending on where you put Coutiniho, there is a week to go and I am still waiting for those players to arrive.
Good points made. The thinking behind playing weak opposition is to allow the squad to achieve match fitness and a winning mentality at the same time, and these games should not be taken too seriously or used as a yardstick regarding team and player form.

We all suspected that the squad as it stands is too weak to make a serious challenge for a top four spot (or get even close), and this result merely confirms it. Too state the obvious, we need quality reinforcements. Now.

Jugger

I'm semi-hoping the lack of tempo in the 2nd half was due to having one eye on starting the season next week as the first half was exactly how I would have expected us to press after going down.

Hope Rodgers is still after Papadopoulos we need a powerful CB or we'll struggle against Benteke like strikers again, disappointed in Wisdom today as I was hoping their striker would have been the sort of striker he'd excel against...

Long as Aggers fit and Sturridge at least plays 45 mins next week I'll be fairly confident. Still feel we play better with Ibe or Sterling starting though, not enough directness at times.

One major down point which really annoyed me was I thought we gotten past the lack of support in the box last season but has come back into our play again, seriously how hard SUPPORT THE STRIKER!!! Cross after cross with 7 Celtic defenders and 1 sometimes 2 Liverpool players. Corners are still pointless as well.

lfc.8

A poor performance against a poor Celtic. Our squad is just far to weak. The starting eleven still hasn't improved from last season. It really doesn't look good. Top four at this stage is still a long way off. There are a few players who just shouldn't be starting for a club like ours.

auzziez

lfc.8 said:
A poor performance against a poor Celtic. Our squad is just far to weak. The starting eleven still hasn't improved from last season. It really doesn't look good. Top four at this stage is still a long way off. There are a few players who just shouldn't be starting for a club like ours.
What if I said you this's the last friendly and an injury would mean atleast a few months off. :ph34r:

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Few things for me this match

Lucas - Don't think he's good enough to be that anchor/ball player - he's not good at either
Allen - Like him further up the pitch but he disappeared in the last 15/20 of the first half
Downing - I saw him beat a man! Been shouting at him every week at Anfield to do it and he finally did, so proud...now leave
Coutinho - So much magic but he's not a one man team - we cannot apply pressure to him, he's not that player
Gerrard - Nowhere all game
Toure - Impressive....unlucky not to get a goal
Hendo - I love you and want you to do well but lift your fucking head up son
Aspas - Question marks still hang over whether he can cut it in the prem - not there for the first half at all
Wisdom - Unlucky mate but you'll make mistakes you're only young

Need some quality up front and some depth in CB badly

This season could be a long one and one which, unless reinforcements are brought in, could spell the end of BR...which would be a massive mistake as I truly think he's the man to lead us to glory in the longer term. Needs some investment, quit haggling over a couple of million - splash the cash and let's get going

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Matt said:
In May, if you asked any LFC fan, the 3 areas needed for improvement this summer were left back, defensive midfield, and right side of attack. We havent signed a single player in these areas. I expected Aspas would play on the right but he's hardly been used there. It's a huge concern. New season but the very same problems exist.
Yeah, I do wonder when will we hear "I ask for a sofa and I got a lamp" thing from our current manager.

lfc.8

auzziez said:
What if I said you this's the last friendly and an injury would mean atleast a few months off. :ph34r:
Ignore this performance fine, but just look at the starting eleven and squad in general. There's a lack of quality throughout. We're nowhere near good enough to get back into the top four.

Urban Achiever

I think many players have good... hell, even great moments... at times.

Problem is that "at times" just isn't good enough, which a game like today showed us in all it's brutal honesty.

Johnson
Wisdom
Enrique
Lucas
Allen
Gerrard
Downing
Henderson
Aspas (jury still out though)
Ibe
- all above had a mediocre game.... some even played poorly for most of, or the entire game.

That's simply way too many and it happens way too often.
Only Gerrard is worldclass, so even at their (inconsistent) top level they are still a bit off the top.

The truth is we need more direct quality or we won't improve much.

Keegans Perm

SoueysTash said:
This season could be a long one and one which, unless reinforcements are brought in, could spell the end of BR...which would be a massive mistake as I truly think he's the man to lead us to glory in the longer term. Needs some investment, quit haggling over a couple of million - splash the cash and let's get going
If we don't get those reinforcements in this transfer window and FSG end up spending next to nothing, my already frail trust in them will be blown out the window. A 1-0 loss against a Celtic reserve side is just unacceptable, I don't care if it was a friendly, Liverpool should be battering a side like that

R

RedRiot

Keegans Perm said:
If we don't get those reinforcements in this transfer window and FSG end up spending next to nothing, my already frail trust in them will be blown out the window. A 1-0 loss against a Celtic reserve side is just unacceptable, I don't care if it was a friendly, Liverpool should be battering a side like that
A bit of a kneejerk, it seems. Disappointing but not a meaningful result. Let's see what happens in the games where points are at stake.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
On a more positive side.... Chelsea, CIty and MU all lost their most recent match. With us losing to make up top 4 this coming season?

I'm so tired and down right now. It's just a bloody friendly, but it simply a crash into reality

steve10

TIA New Signing
SoueysTash said:
Few things for me this match

Lucas - Don't think he's good enough to be that anchor/ball player - he's not good at either
Allen - Like him further up the pitch but he disappeared in the last 15/20 of the first half
Downing - I saw him beat a man! Been shouting at him every week at Anfield to do it and he finally did, so proud...now leave
Coutinho - So much magic but he's not a one man team - we cannot apply pressure to him, he's not that player
Gerrard - Nowhere all game
Toure - Impressive....unlucky not to get a goal
Hendo - I love you and want you to do well but lift your fucking head up son
Aspas - Question marks still hang over whether he can cut it in the prem - not there for the first half at all
Wisdom - Unlucky mate but you'll make mistakes you're only young

Need some quality up front and some depth in CB badly

Totally agree with your comments apart from the bit about BR. IMO- he is a big part of the problem, If FSG had got a quality experienced manager we would have finished 4th last season.

ChicagoRed

Banned Users
Thought Allen was solid, he set up alot of would be attacks that didn't come off today. Ibe set up a couple of corners, but iverall the subs didn't have any impact whatsoever.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
steve10 said:
Totally agree with your comments apart from the bit about BR. IMO- he is a big part of the problem, If FSG had got a quality experienced manager we would have finished 4th last season.
Bullshit...no chance.

BR is a class manager - either him or the owners are not bidding enough cash for the players we're after, that is the problem

Keegans Perm

RedRiot said:
A bit of a kneejerk, it seems. Disappointing but not a meaningful result. Let's see what happens in the games where points are at stake.
It's not a kneejerk mate. This kind of performance happened once to many times last season when points were at stake and its as clear as daylight that when Liverpool go a goal down they don't seem to be mentally strong enough to be able to claw out a win, and that concerns me. Therefore we need more winners on the pitch. This was Celtic's youngsters, it should have been men against boys and should have been an absolute walkover. We need more quality in starting 11 as Rodgers has stated, but im honestly starting to think that it isn't going to happen.

R

RedRiot

Keegans Perm said:
It's not a kneejerk mate. This kind of performance happened once to many times last season when points were at stake and its as clear as daylight that when Liverpool go a goal down they don't seem to be mentally strong enough to be able to claw out a win, and that concerns me. Therefore we need more winners on the pitch. This was Celtic's youngsters, it should have been men against boys and should have been an absolute walkover. We need more quality in starting 11 as Rodgers has stated, but im honestly starting to think that it isn't going to happen.
We did come back many times last season and recover points. In fact, last season was the first in like a decade where we were capable of that. Today we brought on a player who hasn't played all preseason as our sole forward, and the goal conceded was from a 19-year old CB who won't be starting. Sorry, but while there are lessons to be taken away from today (we need more intensity and more incision next weekend), they aren't as broad as you suggest.

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
RedRiot said:
We did come back many times last season and recover points. In fact, last season was the first in like a decade where we were capable of that. Today we brought on a player who hasn't played all preseason as our sole forward, and the goal conceded was from a 19-year old CB who won't be starting. Sorry, but while there are lessons to be taken away from today (we need more intensity and more incision next weekend), they aren't as broad as you suggest.
You obviously missed out on Istanbul 2005, Cardiff 2006 and the whole of 2008/09 season. Hardly a decade there. We came back to beat United twice, the first at Anfield with 2-1. Babel scored the winner while the other was a 4-1 demolition after Park Ji Sung got them a penalty.

BadboY

Red Forever
That goal from balde reminded me of benteke's goal, although it was bad luck on our part as the ball was being cleared by downing it fell into his path and wisdom was unable to defend (he is still young and was playing out of his natural position ie LCB), we were further more unlucky as mignolet did everything to save the shot but the ball crept in anyway. Also toure was out of position since he was trying to clear the same ball.

Negatives - Enrique was seen out of position most of the times, it seemed like he was having one of hi off days. I noticed that he was on his heels a lot of the time when he was about to receive the ball, both him and glenn werent able to pick teammates from crosses, gave up possession in the process of doing so. GJ had a decent game but again i think he tried to dribble past the opp players far too often when there are teammates available to receive the pass in space. Wisdom can be forgiven as he is young and was being played out of his favorable RCB position but sometimes he was too slow a few times to pick a pass or get the ball out of his feet. Gerrard and allen were caught in possession a few times and weren't able to link up with the striker mostly in the 1st half, apart from that i think they both played their part. Aspas for we was too lightweight and he will teak some time to get used to playing against physical and stronger defenders, he looked a bit sluggish most of the team were looking so may be the heavy training, traveling and playing 2 games a weak has a bit of effect on most of em.

It was evident at times that we need injection of 2-3 quality players for the first team, a few times it looked like some players were complacent and taking the match very lightly, attitude and approach of a few player in this match wasn't right.

Positives - GJ and enrique raised their gaem in the 2nd half. I think we needed such type of game before heading into the stoke match, although a draw would've been a fair result as i think we created enough chances to score one goal, we were a bit unlucky re decisions and their goalie had a great game in the first half. I was not sure who the eff turned up in the no.19 shirt may be since it may well be his last games for us downing played out of his skin, this was the type of performance that we would've loved to see consistently, taking on def, cutting in, taking shots on goal, got in the box often, linking up with teammates but i think he left it too late. Coutinho was a joy to watch as ever, this kid is very quickly becoming the heart beat of our attack, linked up very well with others esp with sturridge, some times dropped in deep to get the ball, that ball to sturridge from the mid was jaw dropping, think he was next to Lucas when he made that pass.Henderson and ibe came on later and both looked good, ibe apart from a couple of wrongs did everything he could to help the side, was strong and stood his ground when challenged by the opp. Henderson did well even though he was playing on the wing, was his usual self trying to link up, getting in the box. One of the two big positives for me was the way lucas bossed the midfield, made tackles, was looking to get involved in the attack, came in to help his teammates whenever needed. Looking close to being his former self and nearing full fitness. And lastly the return of sturridge, what a game he had, i thought he would only get 10-15 minutes but it looks like he is getting fit quicker than we anticipated. Havent lost a bit of pace, linked very well with coutinho, tried to pick up teammates whenever he could, liked it when i saw how disappointed he was with himself when he couldnt pick henderson and overhit the pass, and the rocket of a shot he hit from 30-35 yards out was venomous, he looks determined to prove himself once again.

I think apart from the goal we conceded and not being able to score one we were better than celtic in all aspects, we had i think 15 corners compared to their 1 if i am not mistaken. The atmosphere and tempo of the game was excellent, didn't think it was a friendly at times. Jugging by the looks on some players esp at the end of the match it looked as if this match mattered to them. Looking forward to the next match.

R

RedRiot

lfc.eddie said:
You obviously missed out on Istanbul 2005, Cardiff 2006 and the whole of 2008/09 season. Hardly a decade there.
You know what I meant. As a regular attribute of our play. Don't remember it in 08-09, but maybe I'm not fully recalling coming back from being behind. Either way, we definitely did it a lot last season.

jerusalemred

Resident Fashionista
managed decline.

defeated by youngsters in a nobody league. If thats not an indication of bad things to come. I don't know what.

I feel like bruce lee giving a one inch punch to both "how's my hair" hendo and downer downing.

Jugger

lfc.8 said:
Ignore this performance fine, but just look at the starting eleven and squad in general. There's a lack of quality throughout. We're nowhere near good enough to get back into the top four.
I disagree.

With our starting (IMO) XI assuming BR uses his trusted 433:

Suarez------Sturridge----Coutinho​
Allen​
Lucas-----Gerrard​
Enrique----Agger---Kolo----Johnson​
Mignolet​
Even if we can't get another top CB and LB thats Top 4 quality (just).

Our squad is MUCH better too than last season, stronger than Arsenals but Spurs have worried me now with their recent signings.

Our defence when all fit are very solid, plus with a new LB in particular will be that much more solid. As mentioned previously would love Papa as to handle big powerful strikers.

As for the front line with Suarez and Sturridge your looking at 40 goals easy a season between them. Coutinho could do with scoring more but if by some miracle we signed Eriksen that would make us complete, shift Coutinho the wing and have Eriksen in his place. More goals and assists then Allen.