• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Friendly: LFC 0-1 Celtic

tesh

TIA New Signing
I have something positive to say about the game.

Shock.

I don't think anyone got injured!

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
RedRiot said:
You know what I meant. As a regular attribute of our play. Don't remember it in 08-09, but maybe I'm not fully recalling coming back from being behind. Either way, we definitely did it a lot last season.
How many games did we come back and against what sort of opponent do count as well. We came back against Spurs and Hammers in the league, while Zenit in Europa. So I don't really know what you meant when you said we have not made any come back since a decade ago. Try look up 08/09 season.

I now understand why Suarez wants out.

We are not going to make top four next season.

We have no bite and I'm concerned over our defence.

Keegans Perm

RedRiot said:
We did come back many times last season and recover points. In fact, last season was the first in like a decade where we were capable of that. Today we brought on a player who hasn't played all preseason as our sole forward, and the goal conceded was from a 19-year old CB who won't be starting. Sorry, but while there are lessons to be taken away from today (we need more intensity and more incision next weekend), they aren't as broad as you suggest.
Off the top of my head I can remember coming from behind to beat West Ham away and Spurs at home last season. The draws we scraped are what we need to turn to wins and we need more quality to do that. Like today, we did create good chances last season but didn't have the quality to finish them

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
Jugger said:
assuming BR uses his trusted 433...
Anyone got stats for with 4-2-3-1 and with 4-3-3? There's a little homework project for one of the TIA bloggers. I personally trust 4-2-3-1 (/4-4-1-1 - whatever you want to call it) more (ie no Allen on the pitch and a more attacking creative player in his place) but for all I know I'm wrong to do so.

BrianLfc10

TIA New Signing
Jugger said:
I disagree.

With our starting (IMO) XI assuming BR uses his trusted 433:

Suarez------Sturridge----Coutinho​
Allen​
Lucas-----Gerrard​
Enrique----Agger---Kolo----Johnson​
Mignolet​
Even if we can't get another top CB and LB thats Top 4 quality (just).

Our squad is MUCH better too than last season, stronger than Arsenals but Spurs have worried me now with their recent signings.

Our defence when all fit are very solid, plus with a new LB in particular will be that much more solid. As mentioned previously would love Papa as to handle big powerful strikers.

As for the front line with Suarez and Sturridge your looking at 40 goals easy a season between them. Coutinho could do with scoring more but if by some miracle we signed Eriksen that would make us complete, shift Coutinho the wing and have Eriksen in his place. More goals and assists then Allen.
Didn't know adding Kolo Toure and Mignolet to our team suddenly makes us a top 4 team?

We are so weak up front that teams with physical defences are just going to bully us just as easily as Celtic did today.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Any excuses we can pull just to ease my mind for this coming week?
  • Maybe the travel got us, perhaps? Running around the world, Norway and back to Scotland?
  • Maybe Celtic 's youngster just have an off day where they defend brilliantly, and we can expect Stoke not be able to reach that level?
  • Maybe the squad try too hard to get pick for the open match and ended up lose their composure?

Anything?

lfc.eddie

"¿Plata... O Plomo?"
Lucas said:
One preseason loss and we're suddenly at sixes and sevens. Who'd have thought?
Well we've been playing Indonesia, Thailand and Melbourne before the testimonial game against Olympiakos. It is quite natural to be worried when we aren't really playing their full first team. Besides, this is the first since against Indonesia where we don't have our want away striker.

tesh

TIA New Signing
Jugger said:
Even if we can't get another top CB and LB thats Top 4 quality (just). No, not even close.

Our squad is MUCH better too than last season, stronger than Arsenals but Spurs have worried me now with their recent signings. No, no and Spurs are ahead and we are no closer to them this season starting.

Our defence when all fit are very solid, plus with a new LB in particular will be that much more solid. As mentioned previously would love Papa as to handle big powerful strikers. Who, in fact is our defence?

As for the front line with Suarez and Sturridge your looking at 40 goals easy a season between them. Coutinho could do with scoring more but if by some miracle we signed Eriksen that would make us complete, shift Coutinho the wing and have Eriksen in his place. More goals and assists then Allen.
Unclear whether Suarez will play for us again
Has Sturridge ever been injury free for a full season?
Eriksen dosen't seem to be on our horizon
On the whole I'd disagree with your optimism. We need reinforcements. We need to spend significant funds in getting them in.

Billy Biskix

TIA Youth Team
Ad-free Member
Two positives from today. Sturridge is back and John Henry was there to see how much work there is still to do in the summer transfer window.

I thought we looked a bit leggy towards the end, especially Gerrard. Lucas was well off the pace as well today. I am a fan (yes, really) but I can not believe we're not in the market for a DM this summer. It's past a joke now. Pure negligence.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
Billy Biskix said:
Two positives from today. Sturridge is back and John Henry was there to see how much work there is still to do in the summer transfer window.

I thought we looked a bit leggy towards the end, especially Gerrard. Lucas was well off the pace as well today. I am a fan (yes, really) but I can not believe we're not in the market for a DM this summer. It's past a joke now. Pure negligence.
You don't fancy an Italian DM then?

Row 33

Our play was so ponderous. Only Coutinho looked asthough he had the skill and intelligence to create anything. Allen, Gerrard and Lucas are not the answer to our midfield problems. I thought Lucas did his job well, in that he covered the back 4 single handedly. Allen was non descript and Gerrard seemed unsure of what he was meant to do. I know it was only a friendly, but we played in that slow, predictable manner that Rodgers tried to implement in the first part of last season. He promised exciting first team players, and do we need them. The lack of box to box, attacking mid field players is glearingly obvious, as is the lack of quality out wide. I think even Henry's missus can see that.

tamir_m

TIA Reserve Team
One thing that really annoyed me is that the midfield of Gerrard, Allen and Lucas were ineffective in the final third

Coutinho and Downing were good on the wings, too bad their finishing was terrible

rab

jerusalemred said:
managed decline.

defeated by youngsters in a nobody league. If thats not an indication of bad things to come. I don't know what.

I feel like bruce lee giving a one inch punch to both "how's my hair" hendo and downer downing.
It's a pre-season game son, get a grip. Most teams results in pre-season aren't a true reflection of the season ahead.

Dublin_Kopite

TIA Legend
Just back from the game and it was a pretty good atmosphere all day between the supporters.
Highlight obviously the rendition of YNWA by both supporters which was fantastic.

I think some are over reacting a bit, although we were scrappy at times, the only thing Celtic did all game they scored from...
We weren't at 100%, maybe some had more than an eye on next week to be honest..

I was disappointed Downing got game time when he clearly isn't in our plans. I know you can say show window and all that but that performance would scary any potential buyers away..

I think starting with Ibe, Sterling or Alberto instead of Downing might of made a slight difference. Also Coutin-ho-ho-ho starting more central would have also helped. Not enough players getting in the box either for me...

I thought the Celtic fans were top class, even though outnumber 3:1 they outsung us for most of the game and also sang Justice for the 96 which was a nice touch..

Stoke up next and maybe the defeat before that game will allow Brendan to put a rocket up their arse. Unbeaten in preseason might have allowed us to take the eye off the ball on the opening day of the season so losing today may actually be a postive.

Must do better, still require more players to come in but no need to panic, just yet!

Jugger

BrianLfc10 said:
Didn't know adding Kolo Toure and Mignolet to our team suddenly makes us a top 4 team?

We are so weak up front that teams with physical defences are just going to bully us just as easily as Celtic did today.
Well considering if the season had started after Sturridge and Coutinho joined (2nd half of the season) we would have been in the Top 4 with points earned, yes. Now we've got a better keeper and a better CB we should in theory concede less giving us even more points.

leopoldfrank said:
Anyone got stats for with 4-2-3-1 and with 4-3-3? There's a little homework project for one of the TIA bloggers. I personally trust 4-2-3-1 (/4-4-1-1 - whatever you want to call it) more (ie no Allen on the pitch and a more attacking creative player in his place) but for all I know I'm wrong to do so. After all BR said hes improved the squad, now needs to improve the XI.
I'd rather a 4231 for the exact reason you gave but BR has set up 433 the past 2 matches and you know how you line-up on the last pre-season game is 99% of the time how you will start the season.

tesh said:
On the whole I'd disagree with your optimism. We need reinforcements. We need to spend significant funds in getting them in.
Fair enough, world would be a boring place if we all shared the same views!

See first response for Top 4 argument. WIth Sturridge, Suarez and Coutinho all in the same team anything is possible.

Sturridge scored 10 goals in the 2nd half of the season whilst he was injured frequently. Another 5+ goals at least would have been scored if he played another half a season. If Suarez stayed out of trouble you could probably have added another couple to his tally of 23. Not so unthinkable now, no? Obviously with Suarez being out until Oct 20+ goals may be unlikely this season.

How you believe our squad isn't much better than last season I'll never know.

I wholeheartedly agree about needing to spend big money before the window closes though, anything less than 2 Starting XI signings minimum and I'll be so frustrated. I don't want to have a team thats just about good enough for Top 4, I want one that completely deserves to be Top 4. This will obv improve our squad even further.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
I think downing only got time due to Sterlings indiscretions in the last few days...

Keegans Perm

rab said:
It's a pre-season game son, get a grip. Most teams results in pre-season aren't a true reflection of the season ahead.
Yes but this, minus Suarez was pretty much our strongest team, and if they can't beat a resilient Celtic reserve side then people have every right to raise their concerns as it will be even tougher against a team like Stoke

jimmydestiny

In between the lines
Toure is a genuine threat from set pieces.

There, something positive.

On the flip side we looked like we threw everything we had at a young Celtic side but didn't have the quality in the final third to do the business. A fluke situation or a sure sign we need to buy some quality.

rab

Keegans Perm said:
Yes but this, minus Suarez was pretty much our strongest team, and if they can't beat a resilient Celtic reserve side then people have every right to raise their concerns as it will be even tougher against a team like Stoke
It's pre-season though. It's not the same as a competitve game. If we'd won 6-0 people wouldn't be taking it as a sign we could seriously challenge for the title would they.

We had the better of the game, the best of the chances. Their goal came from a mistake by our 20 year old centre back who was playing because Agger and Skrtl weren't available. We didn't have Suarez, we had Sturridge for his first pre-season run out for 45 minutes and we'll not be finished bringing players in yet.

The original post I addressed is nothing but a childish over reaction, unless of course we're also to believe United are in managed decline after their defeats to the likes of Singha All Stars, Yokohama F Marinos and Sevilla.

T.C.B

Ad-free Member
Just back from the game myself. Great atmosphere and the Celtic fans were great.

I have similar thoughts to most I'm sure.

We really lack physical presence all over the pitch. Lot of small guys out there. Wisdom was out muscled by the big man up front. Celtic scored and parked the bus.

Mignolet was solid bar one dodgy punch. Toure is an addition and was solid throughout.

Aspas looked lost leading the line, lacks a physical side and not great pace either. We badly need another option up top. Aspas will struggle against the Stokes of this league.

Coutinho is a class player, showed some great touches and maybe should have scored at least one. Allen was busy if unproductive while Lucas showed glimpses of his old self.
Stevie didn't have his best game and tired towards the end.
Sturridge made a difference when he came on and boy do we need him to stay fit this season.

Negatives........Downing, hopefully he never wears the shift again.

Our offensive corners were all the same.........try to find Toure. Easy to defend against. Actually we have almost no aerial threat bar Toure.

Runners getting behind our central three will cause us trouble again this year.

Looked at sea defending corners as usual, expect plenty of set piece goals against us this season.
This side cannot finish 4th without Suarez. We lack 3-4 first teamers I believe..........left full, centre half, Striker/Wide forward and a defensive midfield player.

The squad may be better but the team has stagnated. 6th at best as things stand for me.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Thing is we can't rely on Toure for 38 games, however we can for at least 3, is Skrtel still in Rodgers plans? who knows that would be aim number 1, aim number 2 would be sign Eriksen if you are going play Coutinho outwide, otherwise buy the AM, it is a bit late for Rodgers to look at this but perhaps it is in his mind after all Eriksen seems to be the only talent like that who would be open to moving to us.

DM I still don't have an issue with it wasn't our issue today or throughout pre season, have to say Toure impressed me today he is someone willing to take a decision and at one point he outran a younger fitter Celtic attacker.

Our issue was scoring today, a fitter Sturridge would have done that but reliance is a worry, however with another AM who can create would supplement that.

For all my rantings I'm still ok with how we are heading I just think we need to make those signings, I think we would naturally improve with Sterling, Coutinho and other youngsters developing as well as the likes of Sturridge and Coutinho playing a whole season.

To push on more we need to make those signings and key for me are a CB and Attacking player.

Keegans Perm

rab said:
It's pre-season though. It's not the same as a competitve game. If we'd won 6-0 people wouldn't be taking it as a sign we could seriously challenge for the title would they.

We had the better of the game, the best of the chances. Their goal came from a mistake by our 20 year old centre back who was playing because Agger and Skrtl weren't available. We didn't have Suarez, we had Sturridge for his first pre-season run out for 45 minutes and we'll not be finished bringing players in yet.

The original post I addressed is nothing but a childish over reaction, unless of course we're also to believe United are in managed decline after their defeats to the likes of Singha All Stars, Yokohama F Marinos and Sevilla.
Yes it is pre-season, but that is no excuse what so ever. Football games are there to be won whether it be a league game or a friendly, and i'm sure losing that game was never an option for Rodgers. If they had won 6-0 it would have given the players a massive confidence boost going into the new season and that can only be a good thing.

We did have the better of the game and the best chances your right, but that means nothing if you end up losing the game. We need to bring in quality that are going to take advantage of our chances and put games to bed.

As for being without Suarez, Agger, Skrtel and having a half fit Sturridge, the team we put out were much more than capable of beating Celtic's youngsters

rab

Keegans Perm said:
Yes it is pre-season, but that is no excuse what so ever. Football games are there to be won whether it be a league game or a friendly, and i'm sure losing that game was never an option for Rodgers. If they had won 6-0 it would have given the players a massive confidence boost going into the new season and that can only be a good thing.

We did have the better of the game and the best chances your right, but that means nothing if you end up losing the game. We need to bring in quality that are going to take advantage of our chances and put games to bed.

As for being without Suarez, Agger, Skrtel and having a half fit Sturridge, the team we put out were much more than capable of beating Celtic's youngsters
How many points off the top of the league are we after todays defeat? Zero.

At the end of the day that's what actually matters.

slufsar

Our midfield is terrible. It was obvious the entire last season and it was obvious today. But, it seems like its not obvious to Rodgers.

Our midfield is basically occupied by three players who wont be dropped no matter how poor they play (Gerrard because he's a legend, Allen because Rodgers loves him and Lucas because he's undeservedly become a fan favourite)

hugo the horrible

Ridiculously optimistic.(even more so now)
Given that we played largely our best team and we were playing a Celtic B side,I'm having difficulty seeing why some don't see a problem.

At the end of last season most felt we needed a CB, LB and a genuine striker.Don't see them here,Aspas struggled today and will really battle in the PL unless he can improve.
Wisdom is probably not ready yet, more time required here. Hendo is not a wide player,everyone except BR and Kenny could see that.
Downing-give me strength, what has he got on BR? :(
Get shot of and get in some decent players,3 weeks left and we don't look any better than last year,we are on a 0 net spend,we've cut the wages bill and we still don't seem too enthused about strengthening what we need to.

On a positive side maybe we were taking it easy b4 we take Stoke apart next week, but seriously 4th looks like a pipe dream looking at this.