Friendly: LFC 0-1 Celtic

Red Island

After that what I wouldnt give for a Costa,Benteke,Lukaku type player for a change. Ah its only a pre-season.not the end of the world. And Suarez is important to us next season..I dont care,just get him playing.

Maria

EPL, European & FIFA World club Champions❤✊
Ad-free Member
We should have won this game, Celtic put on B side and they were defending superbly !

Union4LFC

-Jordan Henderson is not a winger. Why not put Alberto in on the left instead of Henderson? Henderson, like many English midfielders, just does not play on the same wavelength as someone like Coutinho or Sturridge.

-Gerrard was a ghost today.

-Joe Allen has potential but he disappears too often.

-Enrique is not the sort of left back that gets you into the top 4.

-Coutinho needs support. All too often players sit and watch him, they don't work off of him. And by the way, Coutinho is not going to score a ton of goals, he's going to create them. The lack of finishers on our side is terrifying.

Not a terrible effort, but felt like Deja Vu personally. Same quality as last season, and depending on the Suarez debacle...it could become far worse. Its criminal if they don't make more signings.

afrikana

TIA Squad Member
theres always tommorrow said:
If we had got a goal early on this would have been a very different game but Celtic have just parked the bus
There were too many of these excuses last season; there is clearly a lack of real quality up front and we need to fix it asap.

Anthony

Decent enough from us despite the loss. Not our best, but on any other day we won that 5 - 1

LiVeRp0oL89

Anthony said:
Decent enough from us despite the loss. Not our best, but on any other day we won that 5 - 1
If I had a quid for every time someone said that last season..

ianrush

TIA Squad Member
the first decent team we played in pre-season, we promptly got beaten. reality check... without suarez (love him or hate him), it's going to be a long season for us. :(

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
hmmm...would have liked to see Aspas play with Sturridge alongside either Ibe/Sterling instead of Downing. Our attack isn't good enough to field two teams (without Suarez) and it showed.

Maybe we'll do it versus Stoke as we won't be changing for the sake of giving players game time.

Union4LFC

These are the games that make me question BR. Every once and awhile he does this - he mix and matches a starting XI with players whose skill sets do NOT compliment each other.

What is our best starting XI at this point? It seems pretty clear to me that Liverpool will be starting the season with the same average squad we ended last season with, minus Luis. My best side?

-------------Sturridge-------------
Alberto -----Coutinho------Aspas
--------Gerrard------Lucas--------
Enrique/Wisdom----Agger---Toure----Johnson

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Good wake-up call, guys. Good wake-up call. We simply could not break down this Celtic team, Stoke gonna be harder than that. More physical and dirty as well.

We really need a LW now. Henderson pay out wide is TERRIBLE. Coutinho and Sturridge, and Kolo aside, felt like a whole team was not match fitness. There was no power in their run, and at some points you think it's gonna be impossible to score. Suarez in form probably could break that. But stay or go, he will miss the first 5 games anyway. And any addition now will already be too late.

Hope it gonna be a good wake-up call, as EPL gonna be tough is we plays like this

auzziez

Union4LFC said:
-Jordan Henderson is not a winger. Why not put Alberto in on the left instead of Henderson? Henderson, like many English midfielders, just does not play on the same wavelength as someone like Coutinho or Sturridge.

-Gerrard was a ghost today.

-Joe Allen has potential but he disappears too often.

-Enrique is not the sort of left back that gets you into the top 4.

-Coutinho needs support. All too often players sit and watch him, they don't work off of him. And by the way, Coutinho is not going to score a ton of goals, he's going to create them. The lack of finishers on our side is terrifying.

Not a terrible effort, but felt like Deja Vu personally. Same quality as last season, and depending on the Suarez debacle...it could become far worse. Its criminal if they don't make more signings.
:huh:

t34m43

I am surprised people on here get so excited by beating teams in Oz and Malayasia. If you want an idea about how your team will do in the forth coming season then you should write down your first and second 11 currently and then compare it with last years you will have an idea. Players like Allen will not walk into this season without the questions over their head. If you do that writing exercise I think you will find our first 11 has not really improved, our depth has, but individual quality has not. At the end of last season people here were calling out for a CB and forward/AMC depending on where you put Coutiniho, there is a week to go and I am still waiting for those players to arrive.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Seeing that Celtic didnt offer much in the 2nd half going forward, i feel we could have brought on winger type for Allen, and gone more.

Sturridge
Sterling - Coutinho - Ibe
Lucas - Gerrard

auzziez

t34m43 said:
I am surprised people on here get so excited by beating teams in Oz and Malayasia. If you want an idea about how your team will do in the forth coming season then you should write down your first and second 11 currently and then compare it with last years you will have an idea. Players like Allen will not walk into this season without the questions over their head. If you do that writing exercise I think you will find our first 11 has not really improved, our depth has, but individual quality has not. At the end of last season people here were calling out for a CB and forward/AMC depending on where you put Coutiniho, there is a week to go and I am still waiting for those players to arrive.
Are you for real?!?!?!

okocha10

Football Master
theres always tommorrow said:
If we had got a goal early on this would have been a very different game but Celtic have just parked the bus
Exactly that will Stoke do next week. We are always struggling against teams that play too defensively.

AnfieldCat

TIA Squad Member
DeathOrGlory said:
Do I detect a mood swing?
Trying my hardest to stay positive but I had been floating on my 'haven't lost a game, only conceded 1 goal' cloud!

Polito

Crap match but impressed with Coutinho - Sturridge link up, bodes very well for the season.

Amateur Hour

Keegans Perm said:
Can't remember him scoring too many headers off corners
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Br5VadFHc_0

Scored more than half his goals last season off corners.

104TOSH

mystic, clown and philosopher
Had enough chances to have won in the 1st half, didn't take them and deservedly lose to a Celtic B team. Defeats like this do happen though, and its only a friendly can be used as an excuse; still embarrassing though. Some of our players appeared not to care, as if a win was expected! Attitude wasn't right.

Good to see Sturridge return, and their were positives from the game but the most important worry was our inability to convert chances. Might do them good to taste defeat though, we'll soon know when Stoke Thugs turn up next week!

auzziez

t34m43 said:
You-our-us... Are you "you" or one of ours?!

t34m43

auzziez said:
Are you for real?!?!?!
Go on then, answer me, I am interested hear your response, hence why I bother to post here. Oh please grammar is not the discussion here, I actually have a learning disability. Please answer me in terms of football.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Sturridge just joined back, but fact is Coutinho has been the only played that being consistent through the season. Hendo, Allen, Ibe, Sterling, Gerrard, all chip a few in here and there. But in off-day like this, only Coutinho showed that he can pull us through...

But it was not enough. He alone was not enough

Sturridge only effective up ahead, and Suarez if here, won't join us for another 1.5 month. If we have no players that can show impact onto the team, then it gonna be a really long season again for us.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Be interesting to see what Stoke are like under Hughes, wasn't he brought in to change them slightly

tesh

TIA New Signing
LiVeRp0oL89 said:
Well if you look at who our opposition have been, its kind of been misleading. Who have we actually faced who we could consider a genuine challenge.. Olympiakos? They we're awful.

Not saying the team hasn't improved from last season but this is a worrying performance.. against Celtic's B team! For all the chances we're creating, its the same old story..

WE NEED QUALITY BRENDAN!
I think you should be telling the OWNERS that statement.

Redaido

TIA Youth Team
Lets hope we can take it up a gear against Stoke or the outcome will be the same.

I wish we could have secured a waynama type player in the midfield physically we look very frail... its certainly brought my expectations down a notch or two for this season :(

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
I thought our main problem is creativity?

There is a reason why most of our chances came from a single player: Coutinho. I think Aspas provides some as well (but inconsistent), and he would definitely fit better on the LW instead of Hendo. Sturridge got some lovely pass, but without Suarez to convert, we have no target for his pass.

Ibe, Sterling etc meanwhile played direct and won't help us on this department. Their finish is alcking also

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
In May, if you asked any LFC fan, the 3 areas needed for improvement this summer were left back, defensive midfield, and right side of attack. We havent signed a single player in these areas. I expected Aspas would play on the right but he's hardly been used there. It's a huge concern. New season but the very same problems exist.

RichLFC

Always one of us. RIP.
RichLFC said:
It's a friendly but have seen this sort of pattern a lot. You learn to recognize it after a while. Maybe one in 3 we turn around roughly
This is what I posted half an hour in

Like I said, I really, really don't like being right but also as I said if it wakes people up it may be good for us. We are really quite predictable in these scenarios, we don't find an equalizer within say 20 minutes you can forget it. It's one thing that seems to keep us in mid table semi permanently and for me can only really be fixed with genuine upgradeable quality

Lot of people ignore these lessons and choose the head in sand method as it was a friendly but does no harm to have a wake up call if you are prepared to act upon it to an extent. Instead of waiting till January etc. seen this sort of thing a lot, does no harm to be reminded of what we still have to do