• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Friendly: Valerenga 1-4 Liverpool

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
Ok lads two more games before the Season begins.
Hoping for a solId performance and a clean sheet.

i expect a decent squad, probably a line up which will be similar to the one that rogers will field on our opening day vs stoke.
At the official site, the kick off is mentioned at 6:00PM.

RMP

TIA First Team
I reckon the team that will start here will most likely be the team that starts against Stoke
Mignolet​
Johnson Toure Agger Enrique​
Gerrard Lucas​
Sterling Hendo Coutinho​
Aspas​

LiVeRp0oL89

I'd expect Suarez to start this game if we're serious about actually trying to keep him. 3 appearances off the bench in pre season so far.. surely time for a starting spot. For this game and Celtic, we should be fielding our strongest starting line ups before the season kicks off.

Polito

LiVeRp0oL89 said:
I'd expect Suarez to start this game if we're serious about actually trying to keep him. 3 appearances off the bench in pre season so far.. surely time for a starting spot. For this game and Celtic, we should be fielding our strongest starting line ups before the season kicks off.
Better to start playing the team that will ctually start the season though mate. Suarez has an extra month to work on his fitness. The players that will try pick up the points with the absense of Suarez are more important in this moment in time.

LiVeRp0oL89 said:
Better to start playing the team that will ctually start the season though mate. Suarez has an extra month to work on his fitness. The players that will try pick up the points with the absense of Suarez are more important in this moment in time.

MarlboroMan

Vertrauen Sie mir
RMP said:
I reckon the team that will start here will most likely be the team that starts against Stoke
Mignolet​
Gerrard Lucas​
Sterling Hendo Coutinho​
Aspas​
Swap Henderson for Allen and switch it to a 4-3-3 and that would probably be the line up for Stoke.

RMP

TIA First Team
I'm pretty sure Allen will start but that would be my preferred line-up

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
I'd like to see a few different faces get a game.

Mignolet
Wisdom Toure Wisdom Enrique
Lucas Henderson Allen
Ibe Aspas Borini

Bring on the likes of Gerrard, Sterling, Suarez and Agger for last half hour.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Matt said:

Mignolet
Lucas Henderson Allen
Ibe Aspas Borini

I'd be quite happy with that, maybe give SG and Sterling a bit longer. Would be happy to see Agger get a bit more rest as you suggest and not much point playing Suarez for too long as whatever happens he won't play for the first month or so. Anyone know how long DS will be before he's back? I had read he'd be back for the first game so i was hoping he may get some pre-season time.

zooz

TIA Youth Team
This will be my first time ever to see the lads in the stadium. I've never had thought it'd be in Oslo.

I like Matt's line-up, although I'd love to see Suarez instead of Borini. Can't wait for Wednesday!!

Reactions: ptt

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Matt said:

Mignolet
Lucas Henderson Allen
Ibe Aspas Borini

If we have discovered the secret to cloning players, a la Wisdom, can we make use of it to solve the Suarez conundrum? Means we could sell one to Real, same to Arsenal and another to Spurs while keeping the original lol

Amateur Hour

I want to see Borini up top with Aspas on a wing, obviously Borini has been less than stellar so far but he's also been alone for most of it. Give him the start with some more attacking options to take some pressure away and hopefully he can find some confidence, I still believe he could be a great "super-sub"

tesh

TIA New Signing
RMP said:
Mignolet​
Gerrard Lucas​
Sterling Hendo Coutinho​
Aspas​
none too inspiring

Amateur Hour

He makes a point though, although I agree that starting lineup is likely for Stoke that would with lack of a better phrase really really suck.

R

RedRiot

It's strange that you think it would "really really suck" when it involves the spine of our squad, minus our starting CF, whoever that ends up being.

It could get better in time for Stoke, but the majority of those players will start.

I think Allen will start for Hendo, and a new signing may start in place of Aspas or Sterling, but otherwise, that's it.

tesh

TIA New Signing
RedRiot said:
It's strange that you think it would "really really suck" when it involves the spine of our squad, minus our starting CF, whoever that ends up being.

It could get better in time for Stoke, but the majority of those players will start.

I think Allen will start for Hendo, and a new signing may start in place of Aspas or Sterling, but otherwise, that's it.
Most dishes are made up of bulk and it is the spices and herds which you sprinkle into the it that make it super amazingly delicious!

A lot of teams in the PL have a good spine.

Without Suarez and a couple of (quality) others, we are just another PL team - sadly.

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Has there been any recent update regarding Danny's injury? Given time frame I'm guessing the likelihood of him being ready for Stoke is less than Suarez's issuing a statement saying "only kidding!"....

Amateur Hour

RedRiot said:

True, it would just deflate my optimism because that lineup entails losing Suarez without bringing in a new signing, it also implies that we will not have a new signing for example Costa before losing Suarez or even if we keep him. I do believe Toure a great addition and can do a capable job but I am hoping for a CD to start over him and a LB over Enrique. Although all that would be a dream transfer window his line up implies none of my hopes will come to fruition.

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
Mignolet
Kelly sktrel coates Johnson
Gerrard Lucas
Downing Alberto coutinho
Borini

I reckon the team will look like that. It will be a second team compared to the last day. We will see the starting eleven or close to it v Celtic.

Julekalender

Will be attending the match, and I hope it will be something else than what we saw the last time we played VÃ¥lerenga in 2011, a game that ended 3-3 if I remember correctly, after 2 goals by Agger from corners. Hoping to see some fantastic football and some amazing goals.

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Julekalender said:
Will be attending the match, and I hope it will be something else than what we saw the last time we played VÃ¥lerenga in 2011, a game that ended 3-3 if I remember correctly, after 2 goals by Agger from corners. Hoping to see some fantastic football and some amazing goals.
We're a better attacking team now thankfully, and can out-score all but the best opposition with ease, even when our defence goes walkabout. The speed of our passing can be dizzying these days (far less time for defenders to react) and hopefully will bamboozle Valerenga too. Yet another convincing win can only be good for team morale.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Mid July Brendan was still hopeful to have Sturridge ready for Stoke so who knows we might see a cameo against Celtic.

Thing is if you take 3 or 4 players away from any premier league team they would start to look ordinary only City and Chelsea perhaps could avoid it but United, Spurs and anyone else would not.

False argument 11 star players doesn't make a team, Manchester United have proved that for the last 20 years, what won us the CL in 2005 the team mentality as we were simply second rate compared to Milan or anyone else, we played to our strengths and worked as a team to get the results we needed.

Chewbazza

True Believer
Ad-free Member
I think it's as many as usual, the difference this year is we've played practically full first team throughout whereas in the past the first 2 or 3 were almost always restricted to youngsters and those we were trying to put in the shop window.

Also having no european qualifiers give us less games than we might 'normally' have. So I think it's about right. Plus SG says they are fitter than this time next year so that's only a bonus.

Not really worried about burning them out too soon because none of the matches have been particularly high-tempo.

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
Dynames said:
Am I the only one to think we played too many preseason games
I'm actually pretty happy. We are looking as sharp and fit as I've seen us going into a season... ever, I think. We've also got the team looking pretty settled, Suarez aside.

norwegian Suarez

TIA Youth Team
Barcelona was trashing VÃ¥lerenga 7-0 without some of their stars, so really hope we will run over VÃ¥lerenga aswell. We are loosing some of our great reputation in Norway nowadays, but the fanbase is very big, and we keep recruit youngsters. But matches like this on is important to keep the young new fans and maybee recruit more of them.

If we have a booring match and a desent result, while Barca(B) trashed them 7-0 . That means for some we are not a big club...

It will bee a great day in Norway agian for the many supporters of Liverpool FC, we will color Ullevaal red and support our mighty reds. I think we will win by the same numbers as last time we beat VÃ¥lerenga (4-1)

R

RedRiot

However many games we play, it's encouraging to see us winning all of our games and maintaining clean sheets on top of that. Doesn't necessarily translate into anything during the season, but it's the first time I can remember it happening in recent memory. Even when we used to do mostly European summer camps a few years back, we'd draw or lose to a Swiss team. Two years ago on our Asian tour we were awful. Last year in America we weren't much better. I don't know if it's all that meaningful, but it's good to see the team winning its preseason matches, and winning them convincingly.

RMP

TIA First Team
Dynames said:
Am I the only one to think we played too many preseason games
The prior seasons where we played a bit fewer we got off to slower start. What I like about this pre-season is that we've had all but 4 players absent and out of that 4 its Sturridge who stands the best chance of starting against Stoke.