• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Friendly: Valerenga 1-4 Liverpool

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
kingoftown said:
Thus begins the semi-annual shop window friendly against Valarenga.
I think it is far from shop window, as Flanagan, Downing, and Spearing aside, there is no way that we gonna consider selling any of the remaining 8.

I think this is more like cup-game formation to test our bench

Herb

Why are Spearing and Flanagan starting games ahead of Kelly? Was kind of hoping he'd be getting more minutes under his belt but I presume that his fitness levels aren't as good yet as I'd hoped.

R

RedRiot

Herb said:
Why are Spearing and Flanagan starting games ahead of Kelly? Was kind of hoping he'd be getting more minutes under his belt but I presume that his fitness levels aren't as good yet as I'd hoped.
Think we're saving the first XI for Celtic at the weekend. I think this is probably the time of preseason where you start dialing back training and overall exertion to assure that the squad is fit come the start of the season. I think that's what we're seeing here.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Herb said:
I think because this is the set-up of worst team from our current squad. Aspas aside, properly to get his confident up playing central.

Flanagan is below Kelly in pecking order, so he has to show what he can do first

Herb

RedRiot said:
Think we're saving the first XI for Celtic at the weekend. I think this is probably the time of preseason where you start dialing back training and overall exertion to assure that the squad is fit come the start of the season. I think that's what we're seeing here.
That appears to be the case, not surprised given that the team that we had played at the weekend has been given the most playing time, but Kelly hasn't been a big part of that yet. I'm pretty sure his amount of minutes would be way down the list.

gingerbread said:
I think because this is the set-up of worst team from our current squad. Aspas aside, properly to get his confident up playing central.

Flanagan is below Kelly in pecking order, so he has to show what he can do first
Maybe, but in the case of Spearing I'm not sure what you gain from playing him right back ahead of Kelly at this point. There's already big interest in him from the Championship and imo it's taking away from what could be vital game time for Kelly.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Herb said:
That appears to be the case, not surprised given that the team that we had played at the weekend has been given the most playing time, but Kelly hasn't been a big part of that yet. I'm pretty sure his amount of minutes would be way down the list.

Maybe, but in the case of Spearing I'm not sure what you gain from playing him right back ahead of Kelly at this point. There's already big interest in him from the Championship and imo it's taking away from what could be vital game time for Kelly.
To what i see, Spearing is playing CDM back-up for Lucas, while Downing work on LB again.

Both Allen and Hendo showed their worth at advance position, means our CDM still lack a back-up option for Lucas

Literally the worst set-up we will ever have to put up

OhYaBeauty

liverpool_singh said:
Think it will be something like:

Jones​
Flanagan Wisdom Coates Downing​
Hendo Spearing Allen​
Ibe Aspas Alberto​
I'm convinced you're wrong. We've seen Flanagan as a left fullback, Hendo as a DM, and Spearing as a right fullback so far this preseason but Downing hasn't played at left back since 2012. Alberto also hasn't played on the left for us. Seems he's being molded into a box-to-box central midfielder by Brendan.

Jones​
Spearing Wisdom Coates Flanagan​
Hendo​
Allen Alberto​
Downing Aspas Ibe​

kingoftown

Really good aimer.
gingerbread said:
I think it is far from shop window, as Flanagan, Downing, and Spearing aside, there is no way that we gonna consider selling any of the remaining 8.

I think this is more like cup-game formation to test our bench
I'd add Coates to that list as well. 4 out of 11 and the rest get a chance to show themselves. I'm not being negative, I just remember that the last time we played them, it was pretty similar, though we had a better starting lineup.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
kingoftown said:
I'd add Coates to that list as well. 4 out of 11 and the rest get a chance to show themselves. I'm not being negative, I just remember that the last time we played them, it was pretty similar, though we had a better starting lineup.
Yeah, in some way. As our worst 11, will be more likely to be in transfer list

Herb

gingerbread said:
To what i see, Spearing is playing CDM back-up for Lucas, while Downing work on LB again.

Both Allen and Hendo showed their worth at advance position, means our CDM still lack a back-up option for Lucas

Literally the worst set-up we will ever have to put up
LFC tv said Spearing was playing RB again as he did against Preston. Think OhYaBeauty has the line up right. I can remember far poorer friendly teams than this as well.

gingerbread

TIA Squad Member
Herb said:
LFC tv said Spearing was playing RB again as he did against Preston. Think OhYaBeauty has the line up right. I can remember far poorer friendly teams than this as well.
Still believe in Downing LB, but i guess we will see in half of an hour :p

Cause i have this theory that: because Downing can play both LB and winger. So we tried to get both a LB, and a winger in first before offloading him. That's why LB option was delayed so long as we need to do all three simultaneously.

norwegian wood

TIA Regular
I thought Borini would start instead of Aspas, but apart from that it's pretty much as expected. The likes of Henderson, Wisdom, Coates and Alberto need more minutes before the season starts, so I think some of them could get 60-70 today.

Interesting to see how this eleven do against a decent and fit VÃ¥lerenga side. They're fielding a stronger team than what started against Barca, so I think they're capable of creating some problems for us in the first half. Won't be surprised if we concede today.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
We will probably concede tonight if we don't then it is an achievement.

Wow did Downing deliver a good corner first good corner from us for years.

Fullmetal

Jedi Knight
Huh very bad with time, the match starts in about 45min, am I right?

auzziez

Aspas missed 2 chances in 2 minutes. Complementary. Hence he's gonna score for sure today :)

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Nah started about 20 minutes ago....

Aspas should have scored, loving the strength of Ibe and confidence to take players on.

Herb

It's been on for 15 minutes or so.

Aspas misses a couple of good chances. His finishing doesn't look as good as you'd like, though it was a pretty naff ball from Downing to him for the first. Valerenga's passing looks rubbish, gifting us the ball a lot but unfortunately our short passing has been a bit below par as well.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
brightonpete said:
What's with the calling Jordon ib? surely Ibee? Downing playing well,should be up here.
There was a video on LFCtv where he specifically tells us that his name is pronounced "Ib", without the "ee".

Herb

brightonpete said:
What's with the calling Jordon ib? surely Ibee? Downing playing well,should be up here.
Because that's how his name is pronounced.

alphakilo

TIA Regular
mattyhurst said:
I reckon Allen

This is like the envelopes again....
We do only have Toure on the bench to sub on for CB. Unless we plan on experimenting with Lucas there?

auzziez

SoueysTash said:
Said this about him before, he's not clinical enough for me so far
Agreed. If you and me have seen it, I'm sure Rodgers has surely seen it. And surely gonna do something abt it.

I also wonder if Henderson would give Alberto at shot at the goal with a free kick. Think Hendo has had enough of his share with no end product.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
SoueysTash said:
Said this about him before, he's not clinical enough for me so far
Been criticised on another forum for saying exactly this. He'll score goals, but I see him missing more than he gets.

Fortunately I think he'll be mostly played out wide, where his lack of a clinical edge will be less exposed, and his pace and work-rate will still be of benefit.

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
alphakilo said:
We do only have Toure on the bench to sub on for CB. Unless we plan on experimenting with Lucas there?
Ah yeah forgot Agger wasn't there

You know the commentator loved saying Louis Alberto then....