• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Gerrard Testimonial: Liverpool 2-0 Olympiacos

S

showmethemoney

STEVEN GERRARD TESTIMONIAL
This Saturday at 12.45, Liverpool will host Greek champions - Olympiacos, in what will be Steven Gerrards testimonial.

The money raised by Gerrards testimonial will be going to charity - specifically the Steven Gerrard Foundation.

Olympiacos will be donating their appearance fee to local charities in Greece.
No Olympiacos Goal...No Number Five

The reason Olympiacos were chosen was because Gerrard scored one of his most famous goals against the Greek champions in 2004. It was a goal that helped Liverpool come from behind to win the game 3-1. It was also a goal which kept our Champions League dreams alive & as we will all vividly remember, went on to win & for keeps.

Steven Gerrard, who made his Liverpool debut 15 years ago, told Liverpool.com:

"I am delighted to be honoured by Liverpool with a testimonial match and particularly thrilled that Olympiacos have accepted my invitation to play the fixture. Last time we met proved to be such a memorable game both for me personally and Liverpool Football Club. I am also especially grateful that Olympiacos have truly embraced the aim of this match and chosen to donate their fee to charity. I am looking forward to what I know will be a fantastic game and a wonderful occasion."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM5XP-Ps7tk​

Keeping The Dream Alive
It's a goal that every Liverpool fan will never forget.

It's the 86th minute & with a perfect swing of his masterful right boot, Captain fantastic Gerrard connects beautifully & blasts home the 3rd & vital goal to complete our stunning comeback to send his side into the Champions League knock-out stages.

And Andy Grays commentary?

It's become immortal.....

"Here's Carragher to try to stay cool...Mellor...lovely cushioned header...for Gerrrrrrrrrrrrrrard...!"

Andy Gray: "OH YOU BEAUUUUUUUUTY! What a hit son! What. A. Hit."

Steven Gerrard's Personal information & Statistics:
  • Date of Birth: 30th May 1980
  • Place of Birth: Whiston, England
  • Height: 1.83 m (6'0")
  • Position: Midfielder
  • Squad number: 8
  • Appearances: 630
  • Goals: 159
A Quick Look Back At An Amazing Career

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb8fGZDYHms​
On the 29th November 1998, manager Gerard Houllier handed Gerrard his first-team debut for Liverpool, with the youngster coming on as a 90th minute substitute for Vegard Heggem in a 2-0 League victory at home to Blackburn.
England Debut in 2000 -vs- Ukraine at Wembley

Kevin Keegan Presents Gerrard With His First
Full England Cap At Bisham Abbey In May 2000
100 Not Out
All Important: 2005 Istanbul
2006 FA Cup: "The Gerrard Final"
Saturday, 14th March 2009

Silenced: Gerrard's 44th Minute Penalty At The Theatre of Screams
Happy Days: Cardiff 2-2 Liverpool
[Liverpool Win 3-2 On Pens]
WARRIOR EVENT
Warrior Football have launched a Steven Gerrard Testimonial Site that will be celebrating Gerrard’s upcoming testimonial match, with the help of creative agency Wolfpack.

They will be providing fans with a one-off chance to bid for an exclusive piece of the player’s career history in aid of his charity, the Steven Gerrard Foundation.

Wolfpack launched an online auction www.gerrardtestimonial.com, which features 630 customised Warrior 2013/14 Liverpool FC home shirts with a special Steven Gerrard Foundation logo, to commemorate the legendary captain’s 630 competitive appearances for the club.

Fans around the globe will have the opportunity to bid on the shirts.

The 630 shirts mark each match throughout Gerrard’s professional career, including all domestic & European competitions.

Along with a descriptor card outlining Gerrard’s involvement in each match, shirts will be personally signed by Gerrard for each winning bidder.

http://www.gerrardtestimonial.com/
Thank You, Steven Gerrard
You'll Never Walk Alone

*Even though it's a match thread for Saturday, please feel free to post some videos ect. of any special Gerrard moments.

Rooster

What a hit son
And I thought singing YNWA with 95,000 others at the MCG bought a tear to the eye, but that goal and commentary still moves me.

Miklo

TIA's Cruijffonian
Goosebumps every time I think about that goal and the commentary.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
will this be a game for the first team squad or will there be special appearances etc?

could see Carragher togging out myself.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
WellRedKev said:
will this be a game for the first team squad or will there be special appearances etc?

Been told its a first team game

rupzzz

TIA Regular
The club are treating this very much as friendly game to continue to progress with fitness in preperation for the new season.

Would like to see us roll out a full strenght side for this

Mignolet, Johnson, Toure, Agger, Enrique, Alberto, Lucas, Gerrard, Coutinho, Aspas, Suarez.

I know it's Gerrards testimonial, but think it would be good if the fans that attend remind Suarez of what he has here - sing his name as loud as possible.

WellRedKev

TIA Reserve Team
rupzzz said:
The club are treating this very much as friendly game to continue to progress with fitness in preperation for the new season.

Would like to see us roll out a full strenght side for this

Mignolet, Johnson, Toure, Agger, Enrique, Alberto, Lucas, Gerrard, Coutinho, Aspas, Suarez.

I know it's Gerrards testimonial, but think it would be good if the fans that attend remind Suarez of what he has here - sing his name as loud as possible.
Be interesting to see how the Anfield fanbase receive Suarez. Could be subdued possibly.

Soyasource

A Champion, a true legend. It's going to be hard for me to take when Stevie retires.

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
Anyone have any idea if we will see any old favs, like Fowler, McAllister, Garcia etc playing any part?

ScouseConnor

lightdrizzle said:
Anyone have any idea if we will see any old favs, like Fowler, McAllister, Garcia etc playing any part?
Be boss if Vladmir Smicer was playing.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
I've got a wedding on this weekend and couldn't go, gutted...won't even be able to watch it.

lightdrizzle said:
No, it's a pre-season game - Current LFC players only.

i_still_miss_fowler

Open Your Eyes Morty!
Yep is not really a testimonial match, it is being treated (IMO wrongly) as a normal pre-season friendly.

The only difference is the money goes to Gerrard's charity.

BadboY

Red Forever
:( Thought it was going to be like carra's testimonial with loads of ex-players playing. And since this is gerrard's testimonial i think most of us would've loved to see his old pal alonso playing a few minutes.

Bubble bursted.

Dane

NEXT!
Ad-free Member
WellRedKev said:

Hopefully played in the conventional spirit of testimonails, with players from the past playing.
Give the current ones the day off, it's getting near that time anyway where fans come out and say player x or y is tired and needs a rest

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
SoueysTash said:
I've got a wedding on this weekend and couldn't go, gutted...won't even be able to watch it.

No, it's a pre-season game - Current LFC players only.
Shame would have been nice to have 1st half as a friendly and 2nd as a celebration to some of players that have played along side Gerrard in his Liverpool career, the likes of Hamann, Smicer, McAllister, Finnan, Murphy, Fowler, Garcia, Hyypia and so on.

SoueysTash

GegenPosting
lightdrizzle said:
Shame would have been nice to have 1st half as a friendly and 2nd as a celebration to some of players that have played along side Gerrard in his Liverpool career, the likes of Hamann, Smicer, McAllister, Finnan, Murphy, Fowler, Garcia, Hyypia and so on.
Yeh dunno why they've done it that way...mebbe's he'll get another when he's actually hanging up his boots. Who would he pick for Liverpool manager? Rafa or Houllier?

lightdrizzle

TIA Reserve Team
SoueysTash said:
Yeh dunno why they've done it that way...mebbe's he'll get another when he's actually hanging up his boots. Who would he pick for Liverpool manager? Rafa or Houllier?
Tough call, but i think he would go with Rafa.

cardiffpete

TIA Reserve Team
Glad that this one is a full-on-friendly and with the first team playing ..and not just the old-boy's-network sort-of stuff.

Why?
We really need to hit the ground running next term, with an especially kind fixture list announced. Literally everything from now on has to be focused upon beating Stoke on opening day and then carrying that form onwards to (at absolute minimum) 20+ points after the opening 10 fixtures. Anything less would be a huge body-blow to our chances of Top 4 next term - thus just move heaven-and-earth to prepare the team for opening day as well as possible. I've already read (a few times) that the pre-season training stuff has been hughly ramped-up from last year to really target top fitness levels come August 17th ...as it should be!

S

showmethemoney

wembley 65 said:
hopefully not, luis is still a red and should be treated exactly the same. i know i will be cheering him on.
SPOT ON.

I hope the fans lucky enough to go to it raise the fucking roof to the rafters for him.

Show him what he means to us.

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
Hate the thought of Stevie hanging up his boots. Love this player, top, top player and top,top man.

Has to be the best player ever not to win the Premiership. An absolute legend.Unbelievable that such a great player will probably retire without a league winners medal, am totally gutted for him.

Arguably our greatest ever player (oh dear, what have i said/started! :huh: ).

S

showmethemoney

SirBillShankly said:
Arguably our greatest ever player (oh dear, what have i said/started! :huh: ).
Not for me, but the arguments are easily there to be made.

Kenny does it for me, but who knows in 20 or 30 years from now - maybe history will look back on Gerrard differently.

But he's right up there & should rightly be lauded as a great.

ubermick

Willing to drive Lovren to the airport
Admin
Yep is not really a testimonial match, it is being treated (IMO wrongly) as a normal pre-season friendly.

The only difference is the money goes to Gerrard's charity.
Shocker!!! lol

Thing about Gerrard, when it comes to the greatest player argument, is that unlike Kenny and Barnes (the two I flip flop between), Gerrard never had the luxury of playing in a truly outstanding squad the way those two did. At best, he had the side from 2008-09, which was an outstanding starting XI, but had very little beyond it. Despite that though, he's won almost every medal available to an English club footballer - apart from the title.

Bleech

TIA Reserve Team
This is one of those rare occasions where I agree 100% with ISMF. Shocked by this. I at least thought Carragher would play...

SirBillShankly

Joe and Holly's Dad
showmethemoney said:
Not for me, but the arguments are easily there to be made.

Kenny does it for me, but who knows in 20 or 30 years from now - maybe history will look back on Gerrard differently.

But he's right up there & should rightly be lauded as a great.
Kenny had the benefit of fantastic players around him in a dominant team. Gerrard has won us games almost single handedly and carried the side,while playing in some poor sides (in comparison with the King), making the difference in big games, cup finals,when being surrounded by much mediocrity. Stevie takes it for me.Just.

mikeypezza

TIA New Signing
i do believe this is broadcast on bt sport, for free if you have bt contract 12months minimum.

S

showmethemoney

168 Steven Gerrard Goals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8V4zvRIpwY​
Steven Gerrard 100 Goals Live Legend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0-X1IAt7bw​

S

showmethemoney

One Night In May
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50lZxQRFqY4
Steven Gerrard: A Year In My Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3c7FeWa3QQ

wembley 65

TIA Youth Team
stevie g is a liverpool legend and one of the greatest players ever to wear the red shirt. get there and support this match...