• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Gini Wijnaldum (CM) to Barcelona

legalalien

Watcher of the skies
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ced-for-barcelona-bid-for-georginio-wijnaldum

Well, I suppose this had to happen eventually. At least all the transfer speculation / discussion about Gini now has a home.

According to the Guardian's Andy Hunter:
No bid has been received from Barcelona but the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, which has close links with Koeman, claims the former Netherlands manager wants to pair Wijnaldum with his international teammate Frenkie de Jong in midfield.

Barcelona’s interest in Wijnaldum could have implications for Klopp’s attempts to sign Thiago Alcântara from Bayern Munich. Liverpool have a longstanding interest in Thiago, who is expected to leave the European champions, but are likely to have to sell a midfielder before finalising a deal for the 29-year-old. A Wijnaldum exit would clear the way for Thiago’s arrival.

So although there has not yet been a bid made, if one of the Guardian's leading lights is bothering to write about the likelihood of a bid it would seem that one is imminent.

Joe Gomez x

For me if he goes (Wouldn’t accept anything under 25m) I would only want either Thiago or Aouar.

All loyalty aside if we can move Gini and bring in either of those two lads without losing too much cash I’d be happy. Thiago for instant quality and Aouar for the future more else.

Sad to see him leaving though as I think he’s gone.

AussieLad

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
I hope if he does go, Edwards can weave a little bit of his negotiating magic and insert a clause for Barca to fuck off and leave our players alone for 10 years.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member

nikz200

This feels a lot like when we sold Xabi Alonso cause Benitez was eyeing Barry. In this case however its debatable if Wijnaldum is that much better than a player like Thiago. But in that prior situation we lost Alonso, failed to sign Barry and then bought AquiLani which was a walking disaster for us. If we are looking to sell Gini to bring another player in, then we should act quickly before another club comes for a player we are looking at.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Crazy a club like ours has a 1 in 1 out policy.
There’s loads of fringe players who will go so no idea why we have to sell a starter. We never have any depth.
We don't yet know how many of these fringe players will go this summer and for how much. As they are fringe players, they are also on much lower wages, if the wage bill is a factor.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
This feels a lot like when we sold Xabi Alonso cause Benitez was eyeing Barry. In this case however its debatable if Wijnaldum is that much better than a player like Thiago. But in that prior situation we lost Alonso, failed to sign Barry and then bought AquiLani which was a walking disaster for us. If we are looking to sell Gini to bring another player in, then we should act quickly before another club comes for a player we are looking at.
The situation is completely different. We aren't actively trying to move one out, the one we may want to come in wants to come only to us and his club wants to sell.

Iluvatar

Allez (x6)
Ad-free Member
The situation is completely different. We aren't actively trying to move one out, the one we may want to come in wants to come only to us and his club wants to sell.
Is correct, by all reports Gini rejected the contract offer, we have a player lined up in case he moves on this summer.. All sounds to me like good planning.

nikz200

The similarity here being , Gini wants to go, club don't want to let him go on a free for obvious reasons financially. Meanwhile the other player is waiting on us to decide, but in the meanwhile we know there will be various clubs in their ear about it. By the time we sell Wijnaldum there is a chance , a very high chance given the caliber of player that other player is, he could be bought by another premier league club or that Paris club. In the end of all this we could have sold Gini, missed out on the player we want and made to settle for another player (this eras version of aquilAni) choice player for this position. This is a possibility.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
The similarity here being , Gini wants to go, club don't want to let him go on a free for obvious reasons financially. Meanwhile the other player is waiting on us to decide, but in the meanwhile we know there will be various clubs in their ear about it. By the time we sell Wijnaldum there is a chance , a very high chance given the caliber of player that other player is, he could be bought by another premier league club or that Paris club. In the end of all this we could have sold Gini, missed out on the player we want and made to settle for our 3rd or 4th choice player for this position. This is a possibility.
No, it's not. To avoid that possibility properly run clubs ensure contracts are released to them for a specific period of time to allow them to complete a related transaction. Much like when you're looking to exchange contracts when buying a house and you're part of a chain.

nikz200

No, it's not. To avoid that possibility properly run clubs ensure contracts are released to them for a specific period of time to allow them to complete a related transaction. Much like when you're looking to exchange contracts when buying a house and you're part of a chain.
So your saying there is a agreement like this in place or there will be a agreement like this taking place?

Kopstar

★★★★★★
So your saying there is a agreement like this in place or there will be a agreement like this taking place?
I can't imagine there's an agreement like this in place now as it's being reported that Barcelona haven't even made contact. It's also an assumption that the two deals are related, I personally don't think they are.

However, if it really did come down to a situation where we'll sign Thiago only if we sell Gini then at the point where deals to buy Thiago and sell Gini are agreed in principle, we'll ask Bayern to release a signed transfer agreement to us, say for 24 hours, so that we can complete the sale of Gini and then complete the purchase of Thiago knowing that Bayern and Thiago (who will also need to have agreed) can't back out, providing we do so by the deadline agreed.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member

Sometimes Walshy I wonder if you have any sort of common sense.
We won't have both Adrian and Karius here next season one will be sold or loaned. That alone means there is room for Thiago to be added. That's not even considering players like Grujic, Shaqiri and Origi any of which may have left. Walshy was right we don't need a player like Wijnaldum to leave for Thiago to come in. The squad Rota rules being referenced as a reason are absolute nonsense.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
I can't imagine there's an agreement like this in place now as it's being reported that Barcelona haven't even made contact. It's also an assumption that the two deals are related, I personally don't think they are.

However, if it really did come down to a situation where we'll sign Thiago only if we sell Gini then at the point where deals to buy Thiago and sell Gini are agreed in principle, we'll ask Bayern to release a signed transfer agreement to us, say for 24 hours, so that we can complete the sale of Gini and then complete the purchase of Thiago knowing that Bayern and Thiago (who will also need to have agreed) can't back out, providing we do so by the deadline agreed.
So we are still in a situation where Thiago can lose faith in us REALLY wanting him and go to one of the other top clubs who will definitely be interested in a player of his calibre at such a low fee. As there are guaranteed to be players leaving on loan or permanent we shouldn't be missing an opportunity to sign the real deal now as we will need that player eventually. If we miss this chance we may end up having to go back to the drawing board and end up with a lesser player who may even cost more.

Kopstar

★★★★★★
So we are still in a situation where Thiago can lose faith in us REALLY wanting him and go to one of the other top clubs who will definitely be interested in a player of his calibre at such a low fee. As there are guaranteed to be players leaving on loan or permanent we shouldn't be missing an opportunity to sign the real deal now as we will need that player eventually. If we miss this chance we may end up having to go back to the drawing board and end up with a lesser player who may even cost more.
Maybe. Depends entirely on what agreement we may have with Thiago. Maybe he's already agreed to give us until a certain date to reach agreement with Bayern? I don't know any details.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
We won't have both Adrian and Karius here next season one will be sold or loaned. That alone means there is room for Thiago to be added. That's not even considering players like Grujic, Shaqiri and Origi any of which may have left. Walshy was right we don't need a player like Wijnaldum to leave for Thiago to come in. The squad Rota rules being referenced as a reason are absolute nonsense.
Is it though? Doesnt that depend on who the club views as a priority? We are still supposedly looking at a CB and a forward, and again while Grujic, Shaqiri and Origi are expected to leave this summer = that they will is purely assumption on the behalf of fans at the moment.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Pretty sure Thiago is well versed in the happenings of the football world to know what game is being played here and how to convey any concerns he has through his representatives, and our club are likewise keeping him upto date as to what our plans are. I really dont see what all this panicking is for.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Maybe. Depends entirely on what agreement we may have with Thiago. Maybe he's already agreed to give us until a certain date to reach agreement with Bayern? I don't know any details.
Hoping so. Can see why @nikz200 raises the concern. Strong possibility of us looking like we've tried to be too clever with this one if we wait too long. This isn't like signing players from Newcastle or Stoke when they're relegated or even top talents from Southampton or RB. He will have other good options apart from us. Some will be willing to pay him much more than us probably. We can't assume that recruitment styles of the past that have worked with underrated players or players ready to take a step up will still work with world class talents.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
Is it though? Doesnt that depend on who the club views as a priority? We are still supposedly looking at a CB and a forward, and again while Grujic, Shaqiri and Origi are expected to leave this summer = that they will is purely assumption on the behalf of fans at the moment.
People keep pointing out how essential Wijnaldum is/has been and in my opinion are right to do so. When he's available he plays. As things stand he leaves this club within the next 9/10 months possibly within 1 month. This is the only starting 11 spot likely to need filling before June next year. I would normally view the forward as the priority but as we have quite possibly the best player in the world for the starting 11 role we need to fill actually wanting to join us and available for a reasonable price now I'd consider this our most important signing.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
It makes selling any of those foreign players a bit harder, in that it weakens our position.

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
It makes selling any of those foreign players a bit harder, in that it weakens our position.
If we only wanted to sell one to one club it would maybe yeah. But not when multiple clubs are after multiple players.

Club A; "We won't pay what you want for Grujic because we know you need to lose 1 foreign senior player for your quotas"
Edwards; "Ok we will sell him to club B fuck off"

Club C; "We are only interested in Shaqiri at this price not yours, we hear you need to lose a player?"
Edwards; "So you haven't heard about the other 3 players who are currently leaving LFC then? How about you call us back if you decide to get serious!"

gasband

The Singaporean Liverpool Never Managed To Sign
Ad-free Member
Firstly, Klopp would want him to stay. Gini wants to stay. But if there is no agreement on contractual terms, then I am sure Klopp does not mind keeping him until contract ends and Gini will respectfully give us his all in the next season.

However the club will only let Gini go when the price for him is met and I guess is nothing below 30mil pounds AND if a feasible replacement is available either Thiago or from within. This means we are in a non desperate situation for either. If Thiago goes somewhere else before a bid for Gini materialize, then we don't sell. If a bid comes in for Gini, then we will negotiate concurrently for Thiago if Klopp really wants him.

So to me, we are not in a situation where we need to be forced into anything.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
If we only wanted to sell one to one club it would maybe yeah. But not when multiple clubs are after multiple players.

Club A; "We won't pay what you want for Grujic because we know you need to lose 1 foreign senior player for your quotas"

Club C; "We are only interested in Shaqiri at this price not yours, we hear you need to lose a player?"
Edwards; "So you haven't heard about the other 3 players who are currently leaving LFC then? How about you call us back if you decide to get serious!"
If we tell one club Karius is leaving, another club that Grujic is off, another that we’re moving on Shaqiri, and someone else that we’re shifting Origi, word will get back that someone is being bullshitted. Clubs do talk to each other.

I appreciate it isn’t the biggest issue in the world, but if Thiago is basically agreed (as I think it is) then it just doesn’t hurt to keep quiet about it while we try to move some of these lads out.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member

Again, you are making the assumption we are (or will) receiving multiple bids for players, where at least one meets the minimum price we will accept. I Think Edwards is in a better position to judge that.

Mascot88

Bootroom Member
Admin
By the way, I think the issue is patience. Klopp, who usually wants all his new lads in early, has spoken about we might be moving late in the window.

I think the club has earned our trust, and to see people shitting the bed, harassing John Henry on Twitter and the like is really dispiriting.

These are professional people who have proved themselves to be really astute and capable operators. If Thiago is a player we really want, we’re not going to miss out because we’re trying to be ‘too clever’. We might have been not arsed, and we might be unwilling to deal at the terms Bayern want, but it won’t be because we’ve fucked up in some imaginary game of brinkmanship.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
As much as I'll be sad to see Gini go, it'll be because it's his decision and it's what he wants, not the club.

The player we have lined up to replace him is arguably world class, a ready made replacement and a wonderful player to watch.

I'm not entirely sure why people are getting upset about this whole 'saga' if I'm honest.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
People keep pointing out how essential Wijnaldum is/has been and in my opinion are right to do so. When he's available he plays. As things stand he leaves this club within the next 9/10 months possibly within 1 month. This is the only starting 11 spot likely to need filling before June next year. I would normally view the forward as the priority but as we have quite possibly the best player in the world for the starting 11 role we need to fill actually wanting to join us and available for a reasonable price now I'd consider this our most important signing.
Again, you might view it as a priority, but there is no evidence Klopp and Edwards do. Klopp has spoken about needing a 4th CB and not wanting to rely on Fabinho to be that 4th choice. If Gini wants to stay, then its pretty likely the only way for Thiago to come here is either next jan/summer were Gini to leave or if the fringe players are moved out this window.

rab

By the time we sell Wijnaldum there is a chance , a very high chance given the caliber of player that other player is, he could be bought by another premier league club or that Paris club. In the end of all this we could have sold Gini, missed out on the player we want.
Firstly, given it's been known he was leaving Bayern for two months now, why has no one else come in for him? Surely all these other clubs would have moved by now rather than waiting like we've been doing?

Secondly, it is highly likely that part of the reason we haven't bought Thiago yet is because Gini is still here. He won't be let go without an agreement in place with Bayern and Thiago or for someone else. It's been made quite clear that we're not pushing Gini out the door. We're very happy to keep him for this season and if Thiago goes elsewhere, Gini won't be sold.

This isn't a mickey mouse club anymore.

Last edited: