• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Gini Wijnaldum (CM) to Barcelona

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Every opponent makes the middle closed for us, so the space is on the sides. Openings must come from there.

Trent and Robbo literally give us wings. But the rotten thing is: teams are already trying to stop that.

It is up to us to remain unpredictable. We have used the corona time to good effect.

There was time to work on new variants, bringing boys in a different role and in different spaces in training and seeing what the effect is.
That was Ljinders a couple of months ago. The way we've played for the last two years or so has been mightily effective, but there have been signs from the resumption after the winter break (February) that some teams are starting to find it a bit easier to defend against us and we're also starting to look more vulnerable to the counter attack.

Wijnaldum leaving poses a challenge but also forces our hand into trying new things. Tweaking what we do by playing more through the midfield is a risk but with players like Thiago and Keita at least we'd be giving it every chance to succeed.

Brital

After two CL finals and winning the league, apparently there’s no money to be had.
Are you ok with that? Be honest with yourself, would you have thought 3 years ago if JK had managed that we would not be strengthening the squad with players we know Jurgen wants?

Remember last year the excuse was JK likes a small squad & if he doesn’t see anyone that can improve it. I’m sure there’s money if he wants it.
This year we know he wanted Werner & now Thiago.

FSG have never to any meaningful way invested in the team, they have very cleverly reinvested funds generated from sales. We should be building a statue of Phil cos without him we’d never have got this squad.

There’s a reason FSG doesn’t want to borrow money & it’s not that we can’t afford it.
The successful use of borrowed money is basically the definition of capitalism, that’s one of the reasons why companies list on the stock market.

They’ve built one stand in their time here & have watched their wealth increase by over a billion but god forbid we should ask them to improve a squad that’s getting stale. Funny thing is I don’t want to get rid of FSG, they’re very good business men. However a little pressure on them to cough up funds every now & then would do no harm.

It’s the default position of too many here to look for reasons why we shouldn’t want to improve the squad that is baffling.
You may be fine with no funds for the manager other than what he can generate - I’m not.
By the way that doesn’t make you right, or somehow a better fan, it just makes you a corporate lackey.

TippRed

TIA Youth Team
This feels a lot like when we sold Xabi Alonso cause Benitez was eyeing Barry. In this case however its debatable if Wijnaldum is that much better than a player like Thiago. But in that prior situation we lost Alonso, failed to sign Barry and then bought AquiLani which was a walking disaster for us. If we are looking to sell Gini to bring another player in, then we should act quickly before another club comes for a player we are looking at.
Aquilani? Walking disaster? Dont ever remember him being fit enough to walk!

Red over the water

After two CL finals and winning the league, apparently there’s no money to be had.
Are you ok with that? Be honest with yourself, would you have thought 3 years ago if JK had managed that we would not be strengthening the squad with players we know Jurgen wants?

Remember last year the excuse was JK likes a small squad & if he doesn’t see anyone that can improve it. I’m sure there’s money if he wants it.

FSG have never to any meaningful way invested in the team, they have very cleverly reinvested funds generated from sales. We should be building a statue of Phil cos without him we’d never have got this squad.

There’s a reason FSG doesn’t want to borrow money & it’s not that we can’t afford it.
The successful use of borrowed money is basically the definition of capitalism, that’s one of the reasons why companies list on the stock market.

They’ve built one stand in their time here & have watched their wealth increase by over a billion but god forbid we should ask them to improve a squad that’s getting stale. Funny thing is I don’t want to get rid of FSG, they’re very good business men. However a little pressure on them to cough up funds every now & then would do no harm.

It’s the default position of too many here to look for reasons why we shouldn’t want to improve the squad that is baffling.
You may be fine with no funds for the manager other than what he can generate - I’m not.
By the way that doesn’t make you right, or somehow a better fan, it just makes you a corporate lackey.
You seem to not be aware of the global situation, and its impact on football finances.

Friggin' John Henry, spreading his China virus everywhere, the stingy bugger.

liver1

Relax, were Premier League champions for the 1st time in 30 years :).

Firstly theres not a lot of players for us to buy. We dont actually need desperately anyone because this team is great in every position. Its hard to get in this team so they need to be better than what weve already got. Therefore theres not a lot of options. Its actually a good thing.

That just leaves us with squad players or extra players that we need. For example weve got 7 CM's right now. Id like Thiago but its not like we urgently need an 8th CM!

Also the Corona virus means we are potentially losing £3million per match. Annually we get £100million in matchday revenue so we need to work what the numbers are going to look like in the future.

SithBaare

From Doubters to Believers
I'd rather be safe rather than be sorry. Rather than the entitled club cunts, We've earned our success the proper way.

I've heard the same guys bemoaning the lack of transfers and we won the league with a record number of points and would have bettered that tally if it wasnt for covid.

Gini wants to go, he'll have my full respect in going. He's done his bit and earned his fairdeal at the end of the day...

CymruRed

Ad-free Member

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin

The funny thing in your rants is that you don't seem to acknowledge how well the club's decisions have panned out over the least years. Last summer's decision to not bring in anyone, merely retaining all players while bringing in a couple of youngsters for the future (something you were absolutely fuming about last year) has brought us our first title since 30 years, leaving Cheaty more than 20 points behind us. Of course, that lot had spent their customary £ 120m + on new players in summer 2019, but it didn't help them much, did it?

Again, this quote here from our manager, as you obviously missed it:

“Sometimes I feel I’m the only one in this country who believes in training, all others believe in transfers.”

;)

richieh10

We bought him for 30 million and now he is a CL and PL winner. I would want at least that. Barca are shitting themselves and need to sort stuff out. Might be a lack of cash there but if they want him then pay 35-40 million and I’d be happy.

i know he only has one year left on his contract but still.... how much do you want him Ronald?

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
We bought him for 30 million and now he is a CL and PL winner. I would want at least that. Barca are shitting themselves and need to sort stuff out. Might be a lack of cash there but if they want him then pay 35-40 million and I’d be happy.

i know he only has one year left on his contract but still.... how much do you want him Ronald?
That's my thinking of what Edwards will aim for. Be helped by some of the other prices they've paid I think. £54m for 30 year old Pjanic but don't think he was in last year of his deal and £28m for a 20 year old winger called Trincao from Brags with what seems to be one senior season under his belt. I could accept less than Pjanic cost due to contract situation but I think we will get more than Trincao cost.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
That's my thinking of what Edwards will aim for. Be helped by some of the other prices they've paid I think. £54m for 30 year old Pjanic but don't think he was in last year of his deal and £28m for a 20 year old winger called Trincao from Brags with what seems to be one senior season under his belt. I could accept less than Pjanic cost due to contract situation but I think we will get more than Trincao cost.
The Pjanic deal can't be viewed in isolation. It and the Arthur sale were very much priced the way they were because of FFP accounting rules.