• This website uses cookies. More information.
  • The This Is Anfield Forums community is moving to a new home. Click here for more information on the transition.

Gini Wijnaldum (CM) to Barcelona

Dutch

Ad-free Member
That is a fair point and I think most fans are not saying that we SHOULD NOT buy any players. It is more that with Klopp and the coaching team and with a now robust youth pipeline, we might not have to buy players everytime there is a problem area. And you can see Klopp and the club's flexibility here. If they are not out to spend when necessary, they would not have bought Tsim and just use Larouci. Instead, Klopp after having a good look at Larouci, decided that he was not going to be good enough, is willing to let him go and goes out and bought someone like Tsim whom I think most fans would agree that looks really good at least what we saw so far. Championship winning teams have always emphasized that its important to keep a winning team together and make changes and improvements when necessary. So I do not think we are not improving the team, but for a few posters here to berate the owners for not spending, its beyond belief. Because we will spend when necessary but we are not going to be like Roman of Chelsea or the Scums who is now half a billion in debt.
Yes correct, the core must stay mostly intact, I just, like most of us at a quality player in midfield and a winger that can play both sides. I don't want to lose Wijnaldum if he signed a new contract, I want, again like most of us, to at Thiago.

I have made a spreadsheet just for the fun of all the matches we are going to play and it is even more brutal than in a normal season. We play every 3 days, 3 matches a week from half September until May. We will need all the players we have and some.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
FSG “bought” the club by taking it on with over £200m of debt.
It is estimated it’s now worth close to £2B.

In that time they are using the clubs turnover to pay off the debt.
When they eventually sell, they will pocket all that money.
Paying off debt is how they extract money from the club.

£2B club sold with no debt = £2B to FSG
£2B club sold with £500m debt = £1.5B to FSG

We have the worlds best manager for four more years. They could back him and watch us win the fucking lot or (as they have for the last four transfer windows) hamstring him and pray for the best.

The general feeling on this forum seems to be Jurgen has to make the most of the crumbs that come his way. All the time ignoring we are a top ten club in terms of global support and turnover. No other global club makes their manager work under those restrictions.

Berating me is tiresome. Explain why we should be the exception.
Also explain why you all have a small town mentality when you’re supporting a global powerhouse, I don’t imagine many Barcelona fans think this way.

Jesus Christ Everton are now spending much more than us and no one here thinks that’s an issue!

Anchelotti is a good manager you know - the complacency is palpable.
i bet you bought stocks in Pumkin’s on October 29th.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
FSG “bought” the club by taking it on with over £200m of debt.
It is estimated it’s now worth close to £2B.

In that time they are using the clubs turnover to pay off the debt.
When they eventually sell, they will pocket all that money.
Paying off debt is how they extract money from the club.

£2B club sold with no debt = £2B to FSG
£2B club sold with £500m debt = £1.5B to FSG

We have the worlds best manager for four more years. They could back him and watch us win the fucking lot or (as they have for the last four transfer windows) hamstring him and pray for the best.

The general feeling on this forum seems to be Jurgen has to make the most of the crumbs that come his way. All the time ignoring we are a top ten club in terms of global support and turnover. No other global club makes their manager work under those restrictions.

Berating me is tiresome. Explain why we should be the exception.
Also explain why you all have a small town mentality when you’re supporting a global powerhouse, I don’t imagine many Barcelona fans think this way.

Jesus Christ Everton are now spending much more than us and no one here thinks that’s an issue!

Anchelotti is a good manager you know - the complacency is palpable.
You keep missing out on the sucess factor that this model has produced. You use success as a stick to beat FSG with rather than question how the success came about.
Under the previous owners we had Ngog, Poulsen, Konchesky et al
Under FSG we have Salah, Mane, VVD et al.
That is part of the recipe for success surely. Not over extending redarding finance, playing within the rules and moving towards a model that wont crumble on inspection.

Liverpool will buy when it is necessary not in a knee jerk fashion. There was never a need to panic, just add the RIGHT players at the RIGHT time.
Thats the model.

A CL and PL in two seasons. Players and manager tied to contracts and all you can do is bemoan lack of spending?

sandsoftime

I must be missing something here.... Other clubs need to buy to catch us up..!
We don't need to catch anyone up as we are at the summit.... Maybe if we had only scraped winning the league by goal difference then Jurgen would be at transfer sales desk himself... But hey ho.... What team out there could put us to the sword..? What team out there are we afraid to come up against..? Most importantly, What team out there has Jurgen at the helm..?
Don't forget there will be other transfer windows further down the line if needed...
Don't forget the academy has had all that money spent on it because the aim is to fast track the young talent at our disposal.... Have faith people... Forward planning is what Jurgen is all about

Anfield rd Dreamer

Ad-free Member
They could, but they don’t. And the fans wouldn’t vote for a sensible plan. The fans would vote for ‘I will sign Griezman!!!’
Not sure that is true. For arguments sake VvD for instance or Koulibaly was available on the same deal I think their fans would have got just as excited. There problem hasn't been the money they've been spending it's how they've been doing their business and who they've been signing. Also they've stopped bringing their own youth through for the most part, something their fans used to love. They just buy for most of their squad roles now not using guys like Cucurella who could have been their second choice LB quite easily. Coutinho, Dembele and Griezmann are all nothing like each other and completely different from Neymar but they are the player a they've tried to bring in to fill that hole.

redbj

hurry up, July 1st, let's get the show on the road
They could, but they don’t. And the fans wouldn’t vote for a sensible plan. The fans would vote for ‘I will sign Griezman!!!’
not so sure about that.

you make it sound like the same club that in recent history produced Xavi, iniesta and Messi among many many others has no access to returning to its prestigious roots.

the wheel is turning, but the club itself, the catalunians, they can still be what they were.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
not so sure about that.

you make it sound like the same club that in recent history produced Xavi, iniesta and Messi among many many others has no access to returning to its prestigious roots.

the wheel is turning, but the club itself, the catalunians, they can still be what they were.
First step to that is happening for Barca is killing off the player power. The likes of Messi isn't going to accept some kids coming through and learning on the job. There seems to no longer be a unison between first team and the rest. How do the young up and coming talents feel about their chances when they see Barca spend fk tonnes every year and see kids shipped off.

Culture change, back to how it was, is needed for them

JMac8

The big question is how much better can this group become just by training when other clubs are getting better by training and adding better players than they had true transfers. Last few months I did not get the feeling we were getting better, rather the opposite. This group needs an injection of quality players in midfield and upfront to push our squad :cool: IMHO.

But as you say the window is still open for a month, let's see what happens.
Yes, obviously we weren’t as good after we won the league by miles, because there was absolutely nothing to play for anymore! It was celebration time. Again this has been pointed out to you and Brital 100 times already so don’t know why I’m bothering

Dave-D

CymruRed

Ad-free Member

I call BS on that figure,if it was in the high 20's or 30mill i'd be more inclined to believe it but at £15mill,if he's not going to sign a new contract with us,we might aswell keep him for 1 more season and let him go for free,£15mill can't buy us a player anywhere near his skill level or replace him for our squad next season,even if we sign Thiago, i'd rather keep Gini aswell and sell Grujic or Wilson if we need £15mill that badly.

spartacus136

We all know that our workhorse midfielders create freedom for Trent and Roberson, help them become our main creators. But its not mean that Trent and Roberson will be bad player when play with more attacking mind midfielder. Look at Kimmich and Alphonso David when they have Thiago and Goretzka in mid.

Klopp know how to use the best trails of his players. its not the only way to build up our game plant. If he has player with different strength, different characters he will change our approach. And we actually need to change when everyone already know our midfielders can not pass the ball except Henderson.

W00die

Ad-free Member
15 million :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
No chance Liverpool would sell for a fee that low. Thiago has same contract length and Bayern want 30m yet Liverpool would some how accept 15m, yeah that’s totally believable :rolleyes:
Maybe we said we want £15m from Barca to talk to us about selling him!

JMac8

Maybe we were informing them how much each goal he scored in the SF was worth on our annual accounts?

Noo Noo

15 million :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
No chance Liverpool would sell for a fee that low. Thiago has same contract length and Bayern want 30m yet Liverpool would some how accept 15m, yeah that’s totally believable :rolleyes:
As i understand that figure initially came out in the Spanish press as a figure Barcelona wanted to pay.
Sort of typical for the mail to twist it and create a whole new story. That paper ahoyld be sold in the fiction section.

Limiescouse

That is a fair point and I think most fans are not saying that we SHOULD NOT buy any players. It is more that with Klopp and the coaching team and with a now robust youth pipeline, we might not have to buy players everytime there is a problem area. And you can see Klopp and the club's flexibility here.
We started last season with only 3 players left at the club who started the 2016 Europa League final, and Lovren has since left. Klopp has almost completely turned over the side inherited, and so has very clearly demonstrated that not even he thinks training is not a magic wand that would allows us to win the league with you and I in the side. He has also been very firmly backed by the money men when he's identified a new player he needs. So either we believe that those same money men have now turned on Klopp and told him he cant have anything more, or he's happy with what he has.

The transfer windows has led to many fans viewing squad building as something that happens in discrete blocks, window by window. Lookin at it like this makes you miss the development that happens with players already at the club between the windows. It's a very old school Liverpool way, but a lot of what Klopp is looking to is the improvement to come from players he already had it his disposal. Technically, Jones, Neco and Taki were available for at least a portion of last year, but in reality their role was not one of competing for playing spots in meaningful games. It was personal development and integration into the group. That means that while they are not technically new players that can be used to judge our transfer window, in reality it gives us 3 players Klopp can include in his decision making this year that were not part of that process last year. Add Tsimi to that list, and it's a good looking development.

Last edited:

big noyd

their toxic shithead fans are already wound up because they think he's taking the other bald fraud's #8

they need his hard work, and their culture is built around having 95% possession. they should be grateful