• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Hatem Ben Arfa (AM) Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Arminius said:
I would take Oxlade-Chamblerain over Ben Arfa, any time.

The one thing that makes me wonder about Ben Arfa, assuming an attractive price, is Gerrard's season. A year ago, I would have steered well clear of any player with anything like an injury history, our medical and physical training staff did not seem up to par. In fact, going into this season, I predicted we would see at most 30 games total from Gerrard. But something has clearly changed, and if there is a growing confidence in the core competence of the club's medical/training professionals, perhaps a troubled player like Ben Arfa would be a reasonable gambe - at the right price.
I would be hesitant to allow one season's relatively light injuries to influence our decisions when buying injury prone players. We may just be having a good year, and if things return to the mean next season we could have an injury list large enough to cause us problems.

Secondly, i thought that Gerrard and Agger do not do as much training as before and that is helping with their injuries...but as a result this might be why Gerrard cant bomb around the pitch as much as in the past, and its not just his age. This might also be why Agger has had more difficulty with one on ons this season...so if we bring in some one else who is limited in how much training they do it might mean they cant provide the sort of energy we need.

Arminius

FSG PR plant
redfanman said:
I would be hesitant to allow one season's relatively light injuries to influence our decisions when buying injury prone players. We may just be having a good year, and if things return to the mean next season we could have an injury list large enough to cause us problems.
Definitely agree, one or two cases is not a firm basis to make large investments on. But, from inside the club, there may be a slightly different view - it is at least an encouraging thought, and one of the areas of improvement this season that has not drawn much comment.

schmee

Master of Ashla and Bogan.
TFC said:
You said that his injuries wouldn't play into his valuation. Thats what I responded to. Even the 10-15mp that I suggested Newcastle would accept, I said is a price I wouldn't pay.

Again I find it odd that you think that he's not worth the risk (valid opinion) yet think that Newcastle would never want to sell him and we'd be lucky if they were willing to let him go at 15mp.

Its just a bit odd that on one hand you yourself point out the reasons why a team wouldn't/shouldn't value him because of his injury history, yet you also are saying that his team finds him very valuable despite his injury history.
If I was the Newcastle manager I would sell him if any decent offer came in. Pardw has stated that he doesn't want him to go and that he rates him highly, not me. I wouldn't touch any more players with injury concerns with a bargepole.

I say we'd be lucky to get him for £15 mill because Newcastle rate him that highly. From a seller's point of view that's fair enough to put a high price on his head so that if we do buy him they're getting a lot more than his market value should be (ala Carroll). From a buyer's point of view if we really,really want him then we'll concede to their demands if they stand firm to their valueation (Carroll again). However, as with Carroll, I think we should show a little common sense before waving our £100 notes around in Pardew's face and giving him enough money for his scouts to buy half a team with.

RMP

TIA First Team
He seems like the modern-day Kewell.
Our fitness coaches have done wonders with Gerrard's fitness so it could be a gamble that is worth it depending on the price and I'd be surprise if its cheap considering its Newcastle

therealkeano1

TIA Reserve Team
I wouldn't take him

Reason 1 he seems to be a big time Charlie and I would wonder about his work rate

Reason 2 after Newcastle bought while he had a broken leg to be hearing he wants to move a season later to psg shows he isn't a loyal sort and I wouldn't want that kind of character especially with sterling and ibe here who may look up to him for his flash Ness.

Reason 3 would he block ube and sterling breaking into the first team next season or in two.

Reason 4 he is always injured

Reason 5 is he strong enough for this league cos the key master Coutinho brushed him off like you would a 5 year old.

ILLOK

In the Danger Zone.
Ad-free Member
Coutinho brushed him off because he wasn't well balanced enough to withstand the challenge

indianscouser

Anything But Normal
Ad-free Member
therealkeano1 said:
I wouldn't take him

Reason 1 he seems to be a big time Charlie and I would wonder about his work rate

Reason 2 after Newcastle bought while he had a broken leg to be hearing he wants to move a season later to psg shows he isn't a loyal sort and I wouldn't want that kind of character especially with sterling and ibe here who may look up to him for his flash Ness.

Reason 3 would he block ube and sterling breaking into the first team next season or in two.

Reason 4 he is always injured

Reason 5 is he strong enough for this league cos the key master Coutinho brushed him off like you would a 5 year old.
Your reason 3 and 4 contradict each other.
Seriously, He wont hinder sterling and suso development, they ought to get enough chances and i frankly see one of them being loaned.

schmee

Master of Ashla and Bogan.
indianscouser said:
Your reason 3 and 4 contradict each other.
Seriously, He wont hinder sterling and suso development, they ought to get enough chances and i frankly see one of them being loaned.
Keano's reason 4 alone is why we shouldn't think of signing him.

dxb_red

personally, i cant see FSG sanctioning this move for 3 reasons...firstly, he's 26, so he doesnt really fit into the category of a young player...secondly, he has a long history of being injury prone, and we'd be lucky if he played 20 games a season, and there is always the chance that injuries will get the better of him, ala Owen Hargreaves...finally, at 15m he is way overvalued by Newcastle, and they are not going to sell him unless we offer over the odds for him...for these 3 reasons alone, the transfer doesn't seem like 'good business', and if the reports about FSG blocking a move for Williams are true then clearly they are becoming a bit more cautious over transfers so i'd be surprised if they sanction a move for Ben Arfa...unless of course newcastle get relegated and he becomes available for 5-7m, then i say we snap him up...

Shabby Along so

Twitter: @RedFromNZ
Not interested in Ben Arfa. He's clearly talented but:

• They'll demand waaay too much for him
  • He's never really been able to stay fit and healthy for a long stretch
  • He has blatant attitude problems: what kind of a dickhead turns up at his current club's training ground in the jersey of the team he's rumoured to be pushing for a move to (PSG).

Status
Not open for further replies.