How did they win such a ridiculously small amount of international caps?

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Ian Callaghan had 4 England caps, Jimmy Case had one U 23 cap.
The Hansen number is mysterious. The best central defender in Europe at the time, strange his international career was so limited.
Tommy Smith didnt fit the bill either.
But you are right, Ray Kennedy was a sublime player. Should have had the team built around him.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Different situation but Ray Clemence had 61 England caps. That would have been well over 100 if Peter Shilton wasnt around at the same time.

All that said, international football never really interested me. I was always nervous a Liverpool player would be injured.
Plus the notion that if Ireland were playing England it was expected that you would "hate" Keegan or Thommo or whoever for 90 minutes. That was a strange idea to me.

Show me the Mane

John Wark 29 caps for Scotland
all of which I believe he got before he joined Liverpool
a player who was very versatile and cover every position you would think he would be perfect for a International squad

Kopstar

★★★★★
Joey Barton, criminal that he only won one England cap at a time that he was the best English midfielder! :think:

Also, Joey Barton, criminal.

As for Liverpool players, Jermaine Pennant is the only English player to have played in the final of the FA Cup and Champions League never to have won a senior England cap.

Steve McMahon, 17 England caps? Ridiculous.

Robbie Fowler, 26 caps. [shakes head]

sms1986

They weren't chosen by the manager at the time or were injured at the time or retired from international football earlier than they retired from club football. Also, there was less international games back then.

As for Hansen, allegedly Ferguson dropped him because of his poor international form and reluctance to play international games in the build up to the World Cup.

Kopstar

★★★★★
They weren't chosen by the manager at the time or were injured at the time or retired from international football earlier than they retired from club football. Also, there was less international games back then.

As for Hansen, allegedly Ferguson dropped him because of his poor international form and reluctance to play international games in the build up to the World Cup.
No shit. That's the point.

Steve Heighway only 34 caps for Ireland?

sms1986

Are you being deliberately obtuse?
If the manager didn't choose them, or they were injured or they retired from international football, then they weren't chosen and therefore only got a small number of caps. There's no deeper reason than those.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Joey Barton, criminal that he only won one England cap at a time that he was the best English midfielder! :think:

As for Liverpool players, Jermaine Pennant is the only English player to have played in the final of the FA Cup and Champions League never to have won a senior England cap.

Shearer was Fowler’s problem.

Commando

John Wark 29 caps for Scotland
all of which I believe he got before he joined Liverpool
a player who was very versatile and cover every position you would think he would be perfect for a International squad
He was also capped by the allies against the Germans in the "Escape to Victory" match.

I seem to recall the bluenoses parading Sly Stallone pre match at Woodison one time. I reckon they'd thought that they'd signed a top keeper. lol

Herb

Fowler was unlucky that he played across a time period with a fair number of high quality England strikers. Ferdinand, Shearer, Sheringham, Cole, Wright, Owen, Heskey is a pretty impressive set across a 6 or so year period. Can add to that the likes of Sutton, Le Tissier and Dublin who were also fairly decent and hardly got a look in.

Dane

NEXT!
Fowler was unlucky that he played across a time period with a fair number of high quality England strikers. Ferdinand, Shearer, Sheringham, Cole, Wright, Owen, Heskey is a pretty impressive set across a 6 or so year period. Can add to that the likes of Sutton, Le Tissier and Dublin who were also fairly decent and hardly got a look in.
Matt Le Tissier had a criminally low amount of international caps

Limiescouse

Ian Callaghan had 4 England caps, Jimmy Case had one U 23 cap.
The Hansen number is mysterious. The best central defender in Europe at the time, strange his international career was so limited.
Scotland also had Willie Miller and Alex McLeish at the time. I think the fact they played together at club level made it harder to pick another player to break up that partnership. Then by the time Fergie rolled around there was the added Aberdeen connection.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Scotland also had Willie Miller and Alex McLeish at the time. I think the fact they played together at club level made it harder to pick another player to break up that partnership. Then by the time Fergie rolled around there was the added Aberdeen connection.
Alex McLeish and Willie Miller or Alan Hansen?
It would be like comparing Phil Jones to Big Virgil.......

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

Yeah, how did that work out for them?

Limiescouse

Alex McLeish and Willie Miller or Alan Hansen?
It would be like comparing Phil Jones to Big Virgil.......
Both were excellent defenders in their own right. You can rubbish the idea of maintaining the partnership at his exclusion, but after about 82 this is largely why Hansen got as few caps as he did.

Hard to argue against Shearer but Dion Dublin? Are you sure? You been on the herb, herb?

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Both were excellent defenders in their own right. You can rubbish the idea of maintaining the partnership at his exclusion, but after about 82 this is largely why Hansen got as few caps as he did.
Maybe so. But neither or both were in Hansens league. Partnership or not, Hansen being excluded was a travesty.

Excellent defenders? McLeish I'll give you was very good but Willie Miller? VS Jocky no way. That is the reason why he got less caps but it is mental. IMHO obviously.

Limiescouse

Excellent defenders? McLeish I'll give you was very good but Willie Miller? VS Jocky no way. That is the reason why he got less caps but it is mental. IMHO obviously.
He is one of their most capped players of all time, and all won during a period of relative strength in Scottish football, and in a period when there were fewer games and players earned fewer caps. And do not confuse my explanation for the thinking at the time with me agreeing with the decisions.

He is one of their most capped players of all time, and all won during a period of relative strength in Scottish football, and in a period when there were fewer games and players earned fewer caps. And do not confuse my explanation for the thinking at the time with me agreeing with the decisions.
I'm not. Just giving my take on it.

sms1986

Maybe so. But neither or both were in Hansens league. Partnership or not, Hansen being excluded was a travesty.
Well, if you think that, then they got what they deserved - Scotland won no games in Mexico and finished last in their group.

Lynch04

Smeg Head

Robbie Fowlers lack of Caps is scandalous