How did they win such a ridiculously small amount of international caps?

Lynch04

Smeg Head
If i remember rightly, wasn’t one of the reasons for Hansens lack of caps down to the fact he couldn't or wouldn't play one game and so they penalised him for it?

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Robbie Fowlers lack of Caps is scandalous
Fowler vs Wright
Fowler vs Sherringham
Fowler vs Ferdinand
Fowler vs Owen

In my view, an Irish view Fowler was better than them all.
I seem to remember (big thing for me nowadays!) that Fowler and Parlour took the piss out of Eileen Drewery at one point, and Hoddle didnt forgive it.
Factor??

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
Fowler was unlucky that he played across a time period with a fair number of high quality England strikers. Ferdinand, Shearer, Sheringham, Cole, Wright, Owen, Heskey is a pretty impressive set across a 6 or so year period. Can add to that the likes of Sutton, Le Tissier and Dublin who were also fairly decent and hardly got a look in.
Andy Cole couldn’t hit an ocean liner with a rock from 1 pace. A quite magnificently crap player who only did manage to score because he played as striker in a very good United team.

Limiescouse

Andy Cole couldn’t hit an ocean liner with a rock from 1 pace. A quite magnificently crap player who only did manage to score because he played as striker in a very good United team.
His best season was for an only decent Newcastle side.

Fowler's issue was unfortunately timed injuries and a misperception that he was just a goal scorer and so was in more direct competition with Shearer specifically than I think was necessary. FWIW, I think they would have made a dynamite partnership.

ptt

2019, a year of incredible celebration
His best season was for an only decent Newcastle side.

Fowler's issue was unfortunately timed injuries and a misperception that he was just a goal scorer and so was in more direct competition with Shearer specifically than I think was necessary. FWIW, I think they would have made a dynamite partnership.
Yeah, Fowler’s injuries and the form of his compatriots just did for him. Him and Shearer would have been epic IF they’d have clicked. Look at Barca buying Cou to load the bullets for Messi and Suarez. Works on paper etc.

Rambler

Second is one step away from triumph.
Top Premier League scorer against us though with 11 goals for four different teams including a rather (in)famous hat trick for Newcastle against one Bruce Grobelaar.

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

One sounds like a dope saying Andy Cole was crap because he has a great goal scoring record but I agree he was crap. He needed 5 chances to put one away.

Without doubt Fowler should have partnered Shearer (imho, I don't have any proof to back it up Mascot88).

Le Tissier was a fantastically gifted player. What did him was playing for Southampton.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
Andy Cole got lucky. He was on a par with David Nugent or Dion Dublin, but got a run in a Man Utd team that Sean Dundee would have scored in.
Using him as a comparitor to Robbie Fowler is a treasonable offence. It is a crime against football.

William Clarke

redshirt
Top Premier League scorer against us though with 11 goals for four different teams including a rather (in)famous hat trick for Newcastle against one Bruce Grobelaar.
How shit (oops) were we to have let that happen?
I think he just liked playing against us, we were his favourite team. Eat your heart out Manure.

Quicksand

Looking for Clues...
I have been thinking about Robbie Fowler, and asude from his England caps, his treatment by Houllier, being sold, not receiving the love the likes of Owen got perhaps.
His spat with Thommo is well documented and maybe coloured why Houllier kept players like Heskey and let Fowler go.

With England its probably a mixture of things. The scally image, the fact that he didnt fit into that stiff collar image the FA propogated at the time. The Dockers Strike tee shirt, the line sniffing celebration. Too maverick, too outside the standard duvet cover selling England international.
Travesty.
Imagine him in his prime playing now?

William Clarke

redshirt
I have been thinking about Robbie Fowler, and asude from his England caps, his treatment by Houllier, being sold, not receiving the love the likes of Owen got perhaps.
His spat with Thommo is well documented and maybe coloured why Houllier kept players like Heskey and let Fowler go.

With England its probably a mixture of things. The scally image, the fact that he didnt fit into that stiff collar image the FA propogated at the time. The Dockers Strike tee shirt, the line sniffing celebration. Too maverick, too outside the standard duvet cover selling England international.
Travesty.
Imagine him in his prime playing now?
You're right, he was too much the maverick to be given the England shirt and maybe a little bolshy in the Reds dressing room for his own good. But we, the fans, didn't call him God for no reason. He could smell the goal net and was a fine, natural finisher who didn't get the Caps that he thoroughly deserved.

Flobs

FADA
I'll start you off.
Tommy Smith = 1 England Cap.
Alan Hansen = 26 Scottish Caps, insane or criminal, he was overlooked by Taggart for the 1986 world cup in favour Willie the gorilla Miller.
Ray Kennedy = 17 England Caps. Rolls Royce of a player.
Why overlooked in favour of another legend?
Whu not pick out another defender from that squad like Richard Gough?

Zinedine Biscan

Half-man, half-Biscuit
I know that on paper it looks decent, but considering they were their country's runaway best player during a time when they played for a club dominating domestically, but the 64 caps for Giggs and 67 caps for Keane are lower than you would expect. Considering the duration they won those caps in (over 14 years for Keane, 16 years for Giggs) you would think they could have been double that at least.

Shows, imo, how adept Ferguson was at leaning on his players and national associations to get them to miss games.

Also, what about a "how the fuck did they win that many caps?!" thread? Phil Neville's 59 for England must be a contender there...

Flobs

FADA
Fowler was unlucky that he played across a time period with a fair number of high quality England strikers. Ferdinand, Shearer, Sheringham, Cole, Wright, Owen, Heskey is a pretty impressive set across a 6 or so year period. Can add to that the likes of Sutton, Le Tissier and Dublin who were also fairly decent and hardly got a look in.
A team with Le Tissier and Fowler in it would have had the world on it's knees. :-)

Flobs

FADA
Excellent defenders? McLeish I'll give you was very good but Willie Miller? VS Jocky no way. That is the reason why he got less caps but it is mental. IMHO obviously.
Miller was the better defender of the 2. Miller had formidable leadership qualities that should not be ignored.

Last edited:

Irishanfield

Internet Terrorist
Andy Cole got lucky. He was on a par with David Nugent or Dion Dublin, but got a run in a Man Utd team that Sean Dundee would have scored in.
Using him as a comparitor to Robbie Fowler is a treasonable offence. It is a crime against football.
Sure didn't even Steve Bull get a lookin in the England setup around then when he was playing for Wolves in the championship

Kenny Dalglish LFC Legend

Wow. I´ve been reading the Conspiracy theory thread. I can´t post in their anymore but Mascot88 Wow!!! Your reasoning is great, you just don´t apply it to your own posts. Amazingly hypocritical (of course imho). And for someone who´s become so invested in that thread, you shouldn´t be moderating it. You can´t without any bias. See what I did there?

Anyway Flobs, it doesn´t matter what the question was, it could be how, why, what, when and where. The point is Jocky was a far better player than any of those donkeys.

dockers_strike

I'll start you off.
Tommy Smith = 1 England Cap.
Alan Hansen = 26 Scottish Caps, insane or criminal, he was overlooked by Taggart for the 1986 world cup in favour Willie the gorilla Miller.
Ray Kennedy = 17 England Caps. Rolls Royce of a player.
In the main, Alf Ramsey re the English lads. Plus not as many subs could be used as today.