• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Iago Aspas (Fwd) Celta Vigo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt

Poor Scouser Tommy
Admin
Liverpool are close to agreeing a deal to bring Spanish striker Iago Aspas to Anfield this summer.
The Celta Vigo forward was wanted by Chelsea and Reading in January, but only the relegation-bound Royals made an official bid and Celta refused to sell their man for less than his €10million release clause.
However, with rock-bottom Celta now looking set for relegation from La Liga, the Anfield giants want to take advantage of his clause dropping to €7m and have offered him a £45,000-a-week deal.
The 25-year-old, who has been linked with Swansea recently, has been a rare shining light in an otherwise disappointing season for Celta, scoring 11 goals and setting up six more.
The 5ft 9in tall Aspas can play off the front-line or in a wider position, and would slot neatly into Brendan Rodgers' mobile attacking trio.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-transfers-iago-aspas-deal-1905327#.UZ1YEBznH40.twitter

By all reports he's a versatile frontman with pace. Was earmarked as Falcoa's replacement at Atletico at one point.

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
Youtube scouting of Mr. Arse Pass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zH43IIbl6Y

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
So, we are willing to pay 7m + 45k/week for a 25-years old who has managed to score a career total of 59 goals in 230 games (of which 49 in third and second division), while at the same time, we are willing to let Andy Carroll go to any club offering us money for him?

Doesn't make any sense for me.

Zinedine Biscan

Spreading the word of St Igor
Ad-free Member
Hope in your heart said:
So, we are willing to pay 7m + 45k/week for a 25-years old who has managed to score a career total of 59 goals in 230 games (of which 49 in third and second division), while at the same time, we are willing to let Andy Carroll go to any club offering us some money for him?

It could also just be the fact that it's the Mirror.

The Elusive 19th

TIA Youth Team
Hope in your heart said:
So, we are willing to pay 7m + 45k/week for a 25-years old who has managed to score a career total of 59 goals in 230 games (of which 49 in third and second division), while at the same time, we are willing to let Andy Carroll go to any club offering us some money for him?

'Wage cut' Hope wage cut. Also not fitting the system. And on and on and on and on.

Actual reason is the manager doesn't like/rate the player. Does the club stick with the player still? Move on and get someone the manager will use. For instance 'Assaidi'.

basil1492

TIA Squad Member
Matt said:
Seems like he'll do anything to win, hate being taken off and through an hissy fit to prove it. Sounds a lot like Suarez, now if he can only play like him then £7m is brilliant. Never seem him play but he does sound like someone who would fit in well in the fluid front 4 with Sturridge, Coutinho and Suarez. Either way, since he likes to cut in, it seems more like he'll take Downings place.

rupzzz

TIA Regular
I'm always a bit dubious about stories like this. Never heard of the lad, his goal scoring record is average, and he's 25 already.

I'd rather we put the funds into someone like Benteke to be honest with you.

I do believe that sometimes a qulity player can be playing in a team that doesn't unlock their true potential and that a move to a team that plays in a way that suits said player can suddenly see them perform at the highest levels.

Not sure what Michu's record was like before he signed for the Swans, but if this lad comes I'd be hoping he fits our system and does a Michu.

soberphobia

Cortez said:
according to this chart we should be looking at L. Messi 44 goals and 12 assists is much better than anyone else on the list.

Seriously though. I have never heard of him but his numbers are decent. Left sided to. His transfermarket detail only lists him as a striker or centre forward which makes his performance look less impressive.

10 goals from a striker is ho hum 10 goals from a wide attacker is better than decent.

Cortez

Isn't it, though?
soberphobia said:
according to this chart we should be looking at L. Messi 44 goals and 12 assists is much better than anyone else on the list.

Seriously though. I have never heard of him but his numbers are decent.
Messi? Never heard of him. Looks to me like a gem waiting to be plucked from obscurity. Make it happen, Brendan.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
Aspas... hmmm, can't say that I've heard of him. Decent numbers considering the it's Celta but if this goes through it would really be a transfer where I hope the club knows what they are doing.

If they have done their homework and they are confident he can make the step in then he could be a great pick-up. For me, this would have to be a signing that the scouting team needs to be willing to hang their reputation on.

Ningles

TIA New Signing
it's €7m not £7m right?

so just under £6m.... sure he's only scored 10 goals in la liga. in his first season there. with a team that is rock bottom.

sign him up.

rivers7

TIA New Signing
Have to say it sometimes amazes me when guys on TIA don´t know of a star player playing in La Liga, Seria A or Bundesliga for example.

If you follow spanish football you´ve probably seen him many times and yes, he is very good. In my opinion he´d be really interesting signing.

soberphobia

rivers7 said:
Have to say it sometimes amazes me when guys on TIA don´t know of a star player playing in La Liga, Seria A or Bundesliga for example.

If you follow spanish football you´ve probably seen him many times and yes, he is very good. In my opinion he´d be really interesting signing.
Well you know there are people with jobs/girfriends/wives/ lives that preclude them from watching every game of football ever played. He is also hardly a star player. One season at a crap club maketh not a 'star'

mattyhurst

TIA Regular
Ningles said:
it's €7m not £7m right?

so just under £6m.... sure he's only scored 10 goals in la liga. in his first season there. with a team that is rock bottom.

sign him up.
He is good and when you watch any la liga going you start to realise the league isn't as free scoring as you expect it to be (sadly my betting made me realise this), especially if you are relegation fodder.

Ningles

TIA New Signing
mattyhurst said:
He is good and when you watch any la liga going you start to realise the league isn't as free scoring as you expect it to be (sadly my betting made me realise this), especially if you are relegation fodder.
exactly! if he had been at Reading and done the same we would be climbing over each other to sign him up.

actually... not sure why climbing over each other would help us sign him, but still....

Mascot88

Yours for £1m. Need to make room for Dean Saunders
Admin
rivers7 said:

Is this the second coming of Mac Red?

lougehrig

TIA Youth Team
soberphobia said:
He is also hardly a star player. One season at a crap club maketh not a 'star'
Same kind of elitist attitude that made us buy prem proven stars like Downing, Henderson, Carroll and Adam for inflated prices while we snubbed Michu.

We need depth, especially up front with Suarez suspended. He's cheap and was one of the bettter attackers in La Liga this season. We trigger his release clause and if he doesn't work out you sell him back to a top 10 Spanish side for a profit.

JustHitMyHead

TIA Reserve Team
lougehrig said:
Same kind of elitist attitude that made us buy prem proven stars like Downing, Henderson, Carroll and Adam for inflated prices while we snubbed Michu.

We need depth, especially up front with Suarez suspended. He's cheap and was one of the bettter attackers in La Liga this season. We trigger his release clause and if he doesn't work out you sell him back to a top 10 Spanish side for a profit.
If he doesn't work out... I doubt we will be able to sell him back to a Spanish side for a profit. We might not lose much, and he could be worth the risk; but the notion of making of making a profit if he doesn't make it here is a bit overly optimistic.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Hope in your heart said:
So, we are willing to pay 7m + 45k/week for a 25-years old who has managed to score a career total of 59 goals in 230 games (of which 49 in third and second division), while at the same time, we are willing to let Andy Carroll go to any club offering us money for him?

Well they said he's versatile - which gives him an edge over Carroll. He's also not injury prone, which is another advantage.

TFC

TIA Squad Member
SUPER PORK CHOP said:
Is he really all that?
I actually don't know, the OP said he's versatile so I based it on that. I've never heard of the player before.

Hope in your heart

Loyalty and patience, two undervalued concepts.
Admin
TFC said:
Well they said he's versatile - which gives him an edge over Carroll. He's also not injury prone, which is another advantage.
You mean, just like Downing? ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.