• Hey Guest!
    Enjoy the This Is Anfield Forums but want to remove the adverts? Now you can do so by clicking here.
    Thanks for your support!

Iago Aspas (Fwd) Celta Vigo

Status
Not open for further replies.


DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
7,014
kwala said:
What is the hold up? Is he to be a January signing? Good job we started in june then.........
Zaf isn't finished with him yet..
 

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Jun 2, 2011
Messages
5,793
Arminius said:
At the bare minimum, I think he puts a lot of pressure on Downing, while also providing some depth up front.
Ideally Downing will have been offloaded by mid July. I see Aspas as his direct replacement. Well I hope he is anyway.
 

hoosierred

Well-Known Member
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2012
Messages
1,975
My assumption has always been he is primarily intended to be Downing's replacement or at least compete for Downing's spot. That he can play centrally as well is a bonus. BR does seem to like players who can interchange and play multiple positions.
 



kwala

TIA Regular
Joined
Jun 19, 2007
Messages
5,147
DeathOrGlory said:
Zaf isn't finished with him yet..
I heard from a VERY bad source that He had lost the Club's pen during the Examination! :eek: The pen leaked, and according to The FA a Star fish print isn't sufficient when signing a contract.
 

DeathOrGlory

Fortune Favours the Gegenpress
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
7,014
kwala said:
I heard from a VERY bad source that He had lost the Club's pen during the Examination! :eek: The pen leaked, and according to The FA a Star fish print isn't sufficient when signing a contract.
Did anyone else read this and think something else?
 

MarkMcC

TIA Squad Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
3,305
although subsequent staining was observed using Rorschach test guidelines with violent tendencies noted....contract delay due to further psychometric testing of similar scientific validity e.g. response to "got your nose!" and "what's in my hand?"
 



Lucas

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2012
Messages
3,171
If he's to replace Downing, who of the front three holds the width of play? If we play with three strikers up top rather than with a winger then doesn't it affect the play of Johnson, Enrique and Rodgers' overall system? Will be interesting ot see how he integrates him.
 

TFC

TIA Squad Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
7,543
Lucas said:
If he's to replace Downing, who of the front three holds the width of play? If we play with three strikers up top rather than with a winger then doesn't it affect the play of Johnson, Enrique and Rodgers' overall system? Will be interesting ot see how he integrates him.
I think that Rodgers wants the fullbacks advanced when we're in possession to provide the width.
 

jgw_geneseo

deeply superficial
Joined
Sep 18, 2007
Messages
2,753
Maybe they are trying to get him to put on the 3rd kit for a photo shoot and he had second thoughts.
 

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Jun 2, 2011
Messages
5,793
Le_hunt said:
seems unveiling him would be a decent idea, at some point.
Seeing that the transfer window isn't opening until July 1st, how can the club sanction an official unveil? Some photos of the medical or some of the boss greeting the player (as is the norm) would be nice though. I guess that's what you mean.
 
S

showmethemoney

Guest
EdWood said:
Seeing that the transfer window isn't opening until July 1st, how can the club sanction an official unveil?
I'm not totally sure,. but I think our window is open & Europes isn't or the other way round or something.

So if a player is released or out of contract, I guess they are allowed to sign.

It's something along those lines anyways mate.
 



OhYaBeauty

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2012
Messages
5,610
TFC said:
I think that Rodgers wants the fullbacks advanced when we're in possession to provide the width.
That's all well and good but it means we'll need to either play three at the back or drop Lucas back so we form a quasi-back three when in possession. Fullbacks and four attackers forward leaves little room for Gerrard to get forward and Lucas to do anything but sit at the halfway line.

Every time I think of our front four being formed from four of Suarez, Coutinho, Sturridge, Borini, and Aspas I can't help but feel the central defenders are going to be caught out a lot. There's only two central midfielders and two fullbacks ahead of them, and at any one time, three of those players (Gerrard, Enrique, and Johnson) will likely be up in attack.
 

EdWood

TIA Youth Team
Joined
Jun 2, 2011
Messages
5,793
showmethemoney said:
I'm not totally sure,. but I think our window is open & Europes isn't or the other way round or something.

So if a player is released or out of contract, I guess they are allowed to sign.

It's something along those lines anyways mate.
I've just trawled around several sites to get a handle on the Summer Transfer Window dates and one said it had already started (May 17th!), another said June 11th and yet another gave up July 1st.

Now what I'd like to know is.........wtf? :scratch:
 
S

showmethemoney

Guest
EdWood said:
I've just trawled around several sites to get a handle on the Summer Transfer Window dates and one said it had already started (May 17th!), another said June 11th and yet another gave up July 1st.

Now what I'd like to know is.........wtf? :scratch:
As I say, I think ours is open, but most all of Europes isn't.

Or...it's the other way round.

I think it's our that is open though, cos of the lads signing for City.

Someone in here will know & say soon enough. :)
 

rupzzz

TIA Regular
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
6,970
I believe that the way it works is, players have to be registered with the FA during the transfer window. The Transfer window (I believe) runs from 1 July to 31 August. The FA registration is the bit that is required in order for it all do be done, otherwise a player can't play.

So, albeit a player can sign a contract now, I presume they have conditions attached, based on the FA's approval for a player to play in this country, before they are officially unveiled.

I believe this is why we've not seen Toure holding a scarf above his head, and won't see Aspas with a red shirt on until after the 1st July.

I may be wrong on all this.
 

Anfield rd Dreamer

Well-Known Member
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2012
Messages
11,525
Domestic window opened 1st June international window opens 1st July as far as I was aware. Our window closes 31st August. With Toure he is under contract till 1st July so doubt see anything till then. In fact possibly wont see any confirmations till then which would be annoying!
 



S

showmethemoney

Guest
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Domestic window opened 1st June international window opens 1st July as far as I was aware. Our window closes 31st August. With Toure he is under contract till 1st July so doubt see anything till then. In fact possibly wont see any confirmations till then which would be annoying!
No but the offal have announced that deal. Probably because he's been released & is no longer under contract.
 

Lucas

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2012
Messages
3,171
With free transfers, contracts always set to expire on midnight of the 30th June, but players are allowed to sign pre-contracts if they are within 6 months of their current contract ending, hence the Toure stuff. He won't officially be an LFC player until 1st July, though, as it is when his City contract will expire.
 

Anfield rd Dreamer

Well-Known Member
Ad-free Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2012
Messages
11,525
Which probably explains no photos of signing paperwork with Ayre getting the love from Zaf or shaking hands with Rodgers all of which probably happened before a deal was agreed. Hope im wrong about announcements as will drive me crazy waiting that long before anything official.
 
S

showmethemoney

Guest
Anfield rd Dreamer said:
Hope im wrong about announcements as will drive me crazy waiting that long before anything official.
Have a thought for me.

This has happened to me after only a few days of the transfer merry-go-round.
:eek:
 



S

showmethemoney

Guest
RMP said:
You've turned into Howard Webb ??? :wacko:
I know.

We'll all be in the "HW" club by the end of the transfer window.

Scary shit.
 

redfanman

TIA Regular
Ad-free Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
13,317
rab said:
So assuming this is all but done bar the cheesey photos what position do we think he'll play? Watching that YouTube video above suggests he plays mainly through the middle or cutting in from the right on his left foot.

With Sturridge, Suarez and Borini all preferring a central role do we thinks Aspas will be played in a wider role. Is this the end for Stewart Downing as a guaranteed starter or is Aspas more likely to be seen as a versatile bench option?

I'm excited about this guy, mainly because he's got a bit of fire about him that we've missed since Bellamy left.
A lot of suggestion that Alberto will also be featuring wide, so perhaps Aspas and Alberto will be our wider forwards and we will be moving Downing on.
 

HarryFloyd

TIA First Team
Joined
Apr 29, 2009
Messages
2,751
Arminius said:
At the bare minimum, I think he puts a lot of pressure on Downing, while also providing some depth up front.
At the bare mimimum this should put a boot on (not up) the backside of Downing.
 



Status
Not open for further replies.